Author Topic: Favorite eBay Tricks, Scams and BS manuevers  (Read 14362 times)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Favorite eBay Tricks, Scams and BS manuevers
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 11:37:08 AM »
I just found this old thread.  Isn't ironic that the biggest thief of them all started it?  It made me smile.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
Hey, T...I'll bet he started it so he could learn about some of the underhanded tricks he could use on others.  Does he have an Ebay ID that anyone knows of?

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2010, 04:36:00 PM »
hypocrites are always the biggest whiners

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2013, 02:45:37 PM »
Re shipping...If a seller is asking a ridiculous amount, I always say, no problem if that is what it costs you to send, but when the parcel arrives, I expect to see that amount (or close enough to it) on the parcel.  If not, a refund for the difference is expected. 

Most of the time they come back with a more reasonable shipping price.

This is a good idea and one to remember.

Although, no seller can be forced to give a refund, if the shipping they charge and the actual cost are radically different.

But i will try that, too. It certainly can't hurt to mention it.

;)

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2017, 10:44:37 PM »
Ok i just sold an item on ebay.  I always say in my listing to "wait for invoice with accurate shipping" cause the calculator is f-cked

The lady is from Chicago and she is not happy about the ginormous $12 shipping I am asking for.  These are her 2 emails:

1 - That is... kind of dishonest. You want me to give you more money without any kind of guarantee or protection? Tell you what, you mail it UPS (my neighbours are awful and routinely rob USPS vans) and send me a picture of the postage sticker showing how much it cost to ship and the tracking number, and then when it gets here, I'll transfer the cost to you. If I just pay in an out of eBay transaction I'm not protected against fraud. I'm super wary about forgery online. Don't worry, I'm not going to rip you off, my word is my bond.

And then I replied offering to send her a copy of the shipping quote and she said "That works. Give me an estimate for UPS as well though because Canada Post uses USPS and the gangs in my neighbourhood keep hijacking the delivery vans. As soon as I get the estimate I can transfer the extra money immediately or almost immediately."

Am i setting myself up for a "did not receive" not matter what I do here?  Is Chicago that fucked up?  Should I cancel the sale and take the feedback hit?

Offline dpcarlson

• Beginner
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2017, 09:03:53 AM »
 Is Chicago that fucked up?  Should I cancel the sale and take the feedback hit?
[/quote]

Chicago could have problems in certain areas - I did 20 years in the city and would occasionally have to track stuff down.  Never stolen from vans, though. But if they have receiving issues on their end - that's their problem - not yours.  How about suggesting tracking/delivery confirmation/registered mail, or better yet ship it to a different address they are comfortable with?

BTW- regarding this whole thread, I always tell Sellers to ship safely & securely to avoid damage (w/hard cardboard/tubes.) And I'm always mindful of the Seller's time it takes to ship this stuff (TIME=MONEY.)  When I sell things on Ebay I call it "Shipping & Handling" so they are paying a flat rate me for my time.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2017, 01:05:37 PM »
I'd be careful on this one, Vick.

Her over the top descriptions and overall wording sound a little fishy to me, too. Roaming (my added word) "gangs hijacking delivery trucks" sounds like a set up (and as you said) with her potentially claiming she didnt receive the item for this reason (when she actually did) and then going on to scream to Paypal for a refund..

In the end, she has your item and her cash back.

Tread lightly.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:34:27 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2017, 08:35:14 AM »
thanks gents.  In the end I insisted on tracking.  If she really wants the thing she would have opted for a signature delivery option or alternate address like DP said.  With tracking at least I know it gets to the door but it leaves me open to other scenarios, e.g. it was stolen after delivery, package was empty etc.  We will see.  A couple of instances of non arrivals on ebay lately - they are a real pain in the ass. 

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2017, 07:22:11 PM »
I thought the same thing, T.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2017, 09:45:19 PM »
here's another ebay scam...

Smokin' hot Sashee C., Manager, there to "guarantee your money back" has actually not worked at ebay since 2015 according to her Linked In.  She is now the founder and CEO of a (not) cleverly named Tea company called Tea Drops.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sasheechandran

the horror...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2017, 10:01:19 PM »
Heavily photoshopped and posed pix are a huge red flag for me...

Phonies all the way.  :P

-Jeff