Author Topic: D.I.Y poster mount.  (Read 9915 times)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
D.I.Y poster mount.
« on: February 15, 2012, 07:20:22 AM »
One problem i have(amongst many) as an amateur collector,web site holder,is getting really good photos of my stuff.
Whilst i was in my local store i noticed they had packets of Rolson magnetic tape.. Great ! for less than a couple of quid I think I have  solved my photo problem..I can just mark out all my poster dimensions and with four magnets I will have a diy poster mount.
The only thing is,what type of backing board should I use ? Will a large bit of cardboard suffice ? or should I buy maybe a 3 or 4 mil hard board that is just bigger than 30x40?

Stew

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
Re: D.I.Y poster mount.
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 07:41:48 AM »
Hi, Stew!

I'm intrigued ... please could you describe your plan in more detail ... I can't quite visualise the set-up you have in mind ...

Best wishes,

Terry - www.quadbod.co.uk
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 08:17:56 AM »
Hi, Stew!

I'm intrigued ... please could you describe your plan in more detail ... I can't quite visualise the set-up you have in mind ...

Best wishes,

I know,It could be a bit confusing,but Im at work and only have my mobile phone to post.
The Rolson magnetic tape is the sort of stuff you would find lining your fridge.But I think I could use it as a decent vertical fixing method. All of my pics have been taken "top down " standing above my posters.
Now,with magnetic tape I can mount my posters vertically and take a decent photo.
I am basically reproducing a wysiwyg set up but at almost zero cost.

Stew

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 08:31:10 AM »
Sounds a good plan, Stew. I take my photos top down, but I find there's some bluriness in the detail due to holding the camera. The set up you describe would be great as you could use a tripod and light it well too.

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 08:36:07 AM »
Aaaaaahh!  I see.   In which case, your hardboard (or similar) suggestion would probably be fine.

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 08:52:34 AM »
Sounds a good plan, Stew. I take my photos top down, but I find there's some bluriness in the detail due to holding the camera. The set up you describe would be great as you could use a tripod and light it well too.
Tob, you're a star mate.Thanks for getting it bud.

Stew

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 08:55:37 AM »
Aaaaaahh!  I see.   In which case, your hardboard (or similar) suggestion would probably be fine.

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Thanks for the advice Terry,much appreciated.

Stew

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 01:55:46 PM »
I use plywood which is fixed to the wall, on it is glued sheet metal, over that is a plastic sheetboard (3mm or 5mm can't remember), the reason is the plastic can be cleaned - I then use rare earth magnets to hold the poster in place (because you can use very small ones as they are very powerful).

The tripod position (after trial and error) is now marked on the floor so I can set up whenever, I shoot without flash and in natural light. I had to experiment with my lenses to see which one didn't produce the 'barrel roll' effect based.

It's not a pro set up but it works fine.
David

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 04:19:18 PM »
ive come up with a WAY more complicated method, but i have yet to construct it.
mine "will" be a frame with a poly mesh pulled taught. then a back put on it with a few of mil space behind it hooked up with a dyson.
also a few pegs placed strategically to stop distortion when the vacuum pulls it. hopefully it should work well?
we shall see when i do get round to it?
I don't know much, but i do know what my eyes are telling me!
Sean

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 04:24:59 PM »
my camera mount is mounted to a wall. the tripod head with camera faces down so I can use a table for photography. I find this solution is easier & faster than using a wall mounted board, requiring 6 hands to hold the poster and handle the magnets

for rolled posters I have a sheet of plywood to which is mounted a sheet of sheet metal. I put my marked photography surface (foam core) on top of that and use heavy magnets

for folded posters, magnets are not needed

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 05:33:38 PM »
ive come up with a WAY more complicated method, but i have yet to construct it.
mine "will" be a frame with a poly mesh pulled taught. then a back put on it with a few of mil space behind it hooked up with a dyson.
also a few pegs placed strategically to stop distortion when the vacuum pulls it. hopefully it should work well?
we shall see when i do get round to it?

I was thinking about a setup like that at one point as well... Only I was going to search Craigslist for a cheap/used air hockey table, reverse the air flow, and remove the legs!

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 06:01:47 PM »
I was thinking about a setup like that at one point as well... Only I was going to search Craigslist for a cheap/used air hockey table, reverse the air flow, and remove the legs!
thats a pretty cool idea to be honest! might be a bit bulky though for not much reason. the above frame wouldnt be much bigger than the size of a display frame.
even though mine would take a little time to put together, its not much work at all really. and would be cheap as chips.
all the materials would come in under £15. although maybe if you were buying silicone sealant it might be under £20 in total?

also curious to know where you found the rolson tape?
rolson is a cheapie tool brand over here in the UK. the tools they make are BOBBINS, i wouldnt give them to kids to play with, as they would break too easily haha
Sean

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 06:22:43 PM »
Gentleman, magnetic white board and $5 worth of magnets and you should be good to go. I paid like 100 shipped for mine about 5 years ago, but I cant remember where. It is 36"x48".

Bruce

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 06:57:07 PM »
Or you could go in this direction:

We have two walls like the above, and one table that is basically the same but lets us shoot flat items. We have a second table ready, in case we need it.

Bruce

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 07:13:43 PM »

Dave Lieberman ues an air hockey table

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 09:27:33 PM »
someone on mopo had a setup he built with a board with holes cut out and a vacuum attached.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 03:24:00 AM »
thats a pretty cool idea to be honest! might be a bit bulky though for not much reason. the above frame wouldnt be much bigger than the size of a display frame.
even though mine would take a little time to put together, its not much work at all really. and would be cheap as chips.
all the materials would come in under £15. although maybe if you were buying silicone sealant it might be under £20 in total?

also curious to know where you found the rolson tape?
rolson is a cheapie tool brand over here in the UK. the tools they make are BOBBINS, i wouldnt give them to kids to play with, as they would break too easily haha
My local newsagent,it comes with 2 rolls.If you want one Pm me your address and I will send you one.

Stew

Offline teamweapon

• Collector
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 04:53:41 AM »
My local newsagent,it comes with 2 rolls.If you want one Pm me your address and I will send you one.

Stew
cool!
thanks for the offer stew.
but i'll take a look in the usual places i see rolson tackle, before bothering you. theres always a huge stock pile of rolson in tk maxx as well.also right now taking pix isnt a priority.
although it might be in the not too distant future :)
Sean

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 05:30:16 AM »
This is a cool thread which is kinda related in case anyone missed it - http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,2958.0.html