Author Topic: Restorer to avoid: Posterfix  (Read 93593 times)

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
Re: Restorer to avoid: Posterfix
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2014, 11:51:36 PM »
I received one of those emails, too... but have never used him. I only ever called him one time, about 8 years ago, to ask some questions (before knowing about his reputation and work).

I might have asked for a quote or something, so that is how he has my email address.   :P

How is it possible that after all these years, he doesnt get any better? I mean dont people get better with age lol?

Or does that only apply to wine? Haha
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:52:00 PM by AjTheGreat »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2014, 05:23:26 PM »
He obviously doesn't read this forum.
Maybe if he did, he'd get a clue.
Friggin' dunderhead.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #127 on: July 15, 2014, 05:30:55 PM »
Not only him, but the cast of characters he has working with him and for him. That older Asian woman, (who might be his mother in law), inflicts literal pain onto any poster she touches. She creates rips and holes where none existed and discards remnants of others.

I would love to know how Cloutier could even post those latest videos, with the pillaging going on. And he wonders why the summer has gotten slow.

Anyone sending him something to work on better be doing a little  prayer.gif while their item is away in NY.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:31:22 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2014, 06:40:08 PM »
More poster "restoration" of a 1920's circus poster.

Take a careful look at the poster, as the owner, a guy named Chris Berry, is talking about this rare circus poster, with it laying on the table, pre-restored. Note that even tho very brittle and ""breaking" along some horizontal lines (it was kraft backed long ago), the borders and poster are all there. Not the ragged edged, border-less and hole-filled item that CC lifts and lays onto the masa/linen.  :'(

And once again, that same woman-- applying Bestine onto areas of the front (maybe to remove tape) and her scattered water color pencils laying on the poster itself. I also like her ironing technique, too.  :P

I would love to know what the owner thought of the finished result.

Before watching, I quote Edward Van Sloan, in part, from Frankenstein as a warning: "It may shock you. It might even horrify you. So if any of you feel that you do not care to subject your nerves to such a strain, now is your chance to, uh... Well, we've warned you."

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TEBNj8Ey9sk&amp;list=UUXpVx0HP7dOVMnZNOLDIEwA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TEBNj8Ey9sk&amp;list=UUXpVx0HP7dOVMnZNOLDIEwA</a>

-Jeff

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #129 on: July 15, 2014, 10:45:51 PM »
It was really interesting hearing the owner talk about the history of the circus, and how rare that piece is, and he sounded pretty stoked to own it.  

As you said, Jeff, there certainly appears to be a lot more than necessary of that poster missing, after they removed the Kraft backing and tape.  Overall it doesn't look too bad, but a few of the areas that were added, like the nose, yikes.

Good songs for the video.  thumbsup.gif  

There was a video posted today from Poster Mountain, on their blog, that showed them replacing several areas of a poster, that were missing when they received it.  It's really impressive how well they restored it.  I'll post the link in another thread.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:10:11 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #130 on: July 15, 2014, 11:50:37 PM »
Yup.. that reworked nose stands out like a sore thumb, that's for sure.  :-X

I wish they had showed how they removed the old kraft paper backing. If it was like the previous video example for the Argentine OS for Robot Monster, he probably had that woman (the "painter") probably do the same "dry peel" method of the old backing, which caused the major paper loss around the borders and into the poster itself.  I wonder if those small, original pieces that got torn away, all ended up in the trash can, too. moron1

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2014, 11:16:34 PM »
I will probably not take my family on vacation this summer.

Chris

Offline AjTheGreat

• Hobbyist
« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2014, 10:39:01 AM »
 laugh1

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2014, 01:06:54 PM »
I also like her ironing technique, too.  :P

This actually works well to blend in replacement paper edges.  Of course that iron is a bit domestic.  Poster Mountain uses an iron too.  I picked up a veneer banding iron with a non-stick coating. 

What you can do it agitate where the two edges meet and then basically iron them flat...

You can see that he at least used something like holytex between the iron and the paper. 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2014, 01:14:10 PM »
This actually works well to blend in replacement paper edges.  Of course that iron is a bit domestic.  Poster Mountain uses an iron too.  I picked up a veneer banding iron with a non-stick coating. 

What you can do it agitate where the two edges meet and then basically iron them flat...

You can see that he at least used something like holytex between the iron and the paper. 

Charlie - keep posting positive observations about Posterfix and you're liable to get banned again!   :-*
Chris

Offline Charlie

• Collector
« Reply #135 on: July 17, 2014, 01:23:48 PM »
Charlie - keep posting positive observations about Posterfix and you're liable to get banned again!   :-*

;D

Linkster

« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2014, 05:24:30 PM »
At this rate there's not going to be a Posterfix to avoid.

"Dear Friends,

Sadly this summer has been miserable for getting new work.

We just need some work to get us thru the slowest month of August.
I need to raise $2000 to pay the summers rent on the shop. and eat!

I am offering Posterfix members this temporary August deal:

I will Linen back any poster for 40% off our normal prices.
(I will be doing all work myself to save $$)
This month only. I only ask that you give us 7 weeks to complete
and that they be in pretty good shape. Tape removal is not charged for.
 If the posters need
 bleaching,  or other special services,we can size up all the problems and come to
an agreement.

In short you would get 3 ONE-SHEETS (27 x 41) backed for  $250

6 half sheets (or inserts) for $ 240

I will linen mount and touch up a 3-SHEET (41 x 79") for $185
I will linen mount a 6-sheet for $750. Q-folio for $290.

My goal is to raise about $2000 in business to help us thru a tough summer.

The only way I would take longer than 7 weeks is if the posters
are in really horrible shape.

I would need payment up front thru paypal or check but
 you could send the posters whenever you wish.

Please help Posterfix get thru the summer!

Chris Cloutier"

Mirosae

« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2014, 05:28:43 PM »
That's quite sad to read actually.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2014, 09:20:59 PM »

Yes it is.
But I'll get over it (and you should too).
When you start feeling sad, just remember him placing that can of paint brushes on top of Robby the Robot.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!

I'm feeling less and less sad already.  wynk

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2014, 11:21:54 PM »

Yeah maybe if today is opposite day and "sad" really means "hallelujah!".  This imbecile should have been out of business a long time ago (and not only because of his terrible restoration skills but really more so because he is a dick - just search his posts on MoPo).

To me the lack of business is a sign that getting the word out about this ripoff 'artist' is actually working.  People are finally doing some research and seeing the light.  I also assume the lack of repeat business is another major factor...

Happy, happy, joy, joy!

PS (That Posterfix family summer vacation is really looking to be in trouble!)
Chris

Linkster

« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2014, 12:16:48 AM »

Yeah, the humanitarian in me wants to sympathise but keeps getting shouted down by my more principled side which rejoices to see the fundamental laws of the market place upheld. My main question after my experience was "How does this the guy stay in business without changing his or the business name?" And apparently, he doesn't.

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2014, 11:02:03 AM »
Given the history of restorers that are 'in trouble,' I'm not sure turning over some posters to somebody who probably won't be able to pay the rent during the month you're supposed to get them back is a very compelling sales pitch.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2014, 11:05:07 AM »
Given the history of restorers that are 'in trouble,' I'm not sure turning over some posters to somebody who probably won't be able to pay the rent during the month you're supposed to get them back is a very compelling sales pitch.

Very astute observation Peter

Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2014, 03:34:53 PM »

yeah, could end up like Eugene where your posters are sold

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2014, 03:42:11 PM »
I wouldnt be surprised if his youtube videos havent actually done more harm than good for his business. Even if one knows little about how the backing process works, his lack of detail (as well as the woman that works for him), should make anyone think twice before using them.

Between the use of Elmer's Glue and their destroying and discarding parts of a poster, during tape removal from the back, (and tossing them on the floor), I would think most would turn tail and run.  gun2

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 11:24:25 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #145 on: September 07, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »
More "good" reading on why to stay away... Doh.gif

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/brooklyn-ny/TJ0HSC7ORJROIKDIP

-Jeff

Mirosae

« Reply #146 on: September 07, 2014, 04:40:16 PM »
Uff.... :-\

moron1

• Post-aholic
« Reply #147 on: September 07, 2014, 05:12:32 PM »
one guy's perfect Chris story

Leslie
Melbourne, Australia

#6 Mar 3, 2014
I journeyed out to the Brooklyn Navy Yards on October 5th of last year and met Chris Cloutier.
We chatted a bit and I presented my poster. He remarked that it was in good condition and also mentioned that it had been a slow week so he was glad of the business.
He sent me a Paypal invoice which I paid while in his shop,$300 to back and $100 to ship via Fedex to Australia.

I waited a month and on November 6th sent the following email;

"Hi Chris, How're things? I'm just touching base to see how things are going with the Island of the Fish People backing. Can't wait to see it."

He wrote back saying, "Hi leslie, I have it ready to back mnext- i was delayed for 3 weeks because we lost the use of water here. but its fixed now. i may be able to ship this posters in about a week, chris"

Waited two weeks and wrote on 24th November, "Hi Chris, Just wanted to see if you've managed to get this one done yet."

No reply.

Another week and a half, 5th December, "Hi Chris, I haven't had a response to my last email. If you could let me know how things are progressing it'd be appreciated."

No reply. Left a couple of voicemails and after the busyness of the Christmas period, sent another email on Jan 3rd, "Hi Chris, I haven't had any response to any of my emails and voicemails. Can you please let me know what is going on with this job?"

No reply. Figuring I wasn't going to get a reply or my poster at this point I enlisted the help of my cousin's wife who works in a law firm in Manhattan.One of her colleagues sent a letter to Chris. I'm not too sure what the contents of the letter were but it was sufficient to be able to get him on the phone with the attorney within a few days. According to the attorney he said he was sorry, that he was having medical problems, that the poster was 80% done and would ship express on Monday 20th January. He also promised he would get in touch with me.

On the 18th January he wrote, "Hello Leslie, work progresses on the posters. should ship early next week.chris cloutier."

20th January comes and goes. On the 1st February I write "Hi Chris, Has this shipped yet?"

He replies "Hi Leslie,the poster ISLAND OF THE FISH PEOPL is ready to ship and will go out Monday via USPS. Can you confirm your shipping address and phone please? Thanks"

Despite having given him all this info when I dropped the poster off in October, I sent it through again. Then silence again.

11th February, "Hi Chris, Do you have a tracking number for this?"

No reply.

21st February, "Seriously Chris, are you sending this or planning to try and steal it and my money? I'll give you 72 hours to send me a tracking number for this package or I'll assume the latter is the case and proceed accordingly. I have been more than reasonable in regard to this matter."

The next day "Dear Leslie, FED EX INTL ECONOMY Tracking number is 79799453**** being picked up by fed ex today thanks for your patience. Chris"

The tracking number turned out to be valid although I didn't really believe it until I opened the packing tube today, 4th March. 5 months from drop off to delivery.

So how was it? Well, if I didn't happen to own a few linen backed posters already I might assume this is as good as linen backing gets and resign myself to the flaws. From a few feet back it displays ok but what really bugs me is are the vertical foldlines which are still pretty prominent. They are raised up which I assume is due to lack of burnishing. It's pretty frustrating as this is one of the primary reasons for linen backing in the first place.

Some extra creases have even been introduced along the bottom.

Along the upper left hand side, something small was left between canvas and poster. Not sure what exactly but it feels like half a paperclip. Almost tempted to cut it open to find out.

In addition there are three thins cuts in the poster now.
How the guy stays in business without changing his or the business name is anyone's guess.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #148 on: September 08, 2014, 11:58:45 AM »
More "good" reading on why to stay away... Doh.gif

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/brooklyn-ny/TJ0HSC7ORJROIKDIP

Scary to think that his past actions could honestly lead one to believe that the "Chris Cloutier" posting on there is actually him!
Chris

• Post-aholic
« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »
Scary to think that his past actions could honestly lead one to believe that the "Chris Cloutier" posting on there is actually him!

it isn't, but yeah

-------