Author Topic: Restorer to avoid: Posterfix  (Read 94565 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Re: Restorer to avoid: Posterfix
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 02:30:06 PM »
Just trying to be optimistic, fellas.  It's kinda surprising how much work he has, considering all the negative stuff I've read about him and his company.

I would like to see a video of what y'all consider real top notch linen backing work.  
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:50:06 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 03:12:49 PM »
Neo, I understand you may be trying to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, but as Dale says "if you haven't improved in a decade, you never will".

Optimism is one thing. Pipe dreams are another and expecting Cloutier to improve in either restoring skills or people skills is the pipiest dream of all pipe dreams

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 03:36:09 PM »
Mel

I told you not to send this idiot anything. why didn't you listen?

eyeroll
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 03:39:23 PM »
Neo, I understand you may be trying to give this guy the benefit of the doubt, but as Dale says "if you haven't improved in a decade, you never will".

Optimism is one thing. Pipe dreams are another and expecting Cloutier to improve in either restoring skills or people skills is the pipiest dream of all pipe dreams

Agree - to anyone who is interested, and as mentioned, seek out the profanity-filled drivel he spouted against one client on MoPo!

People really need to take responsibility for not doing proper research...
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 06:33:43 PM »
Just trying to be optimistic, fellas.  It's kinda surprising how much work he has, considering all the negative stuff I've read about him and his company.

I would like to see a video of what y'all consider real top notch linen backing work.  

http://www.postermountain.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-01-19T14:24:00-08:00&max-results=7

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2012, 06:53:28 PM »
Thanks Charlie.   thumbup  Looks like they do excellent work.

I've had a few pieces done by Poster Conservation, and the final product was excellent, IMO, and at a very reasonable price.  It's cool how Poster Mountain has a few articles where they photograph and explain every step.

The main reason I found these forum joints and all y'all online friends is because (I know I've said this before) a framer messed up a few of my posters in the first batch I got, and I went scouring the web for some insight on the best course of action.  Linen backing is something that I think is awesome and it's good to know that there are some well respected companies in the business.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »
I've had a few pieces done by Poster Conservation,

Lee Milazzo does great work

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2012, 02:28:41 PM »
Just saw this video of Posterfix, with Chris Cloutier, linen backing an Avatar 6 sheet.

No good can come from a guy who wears sweat pants in public
David

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2012, 03:18:43 PM »

I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, but is there a video showing (in your opinion) an excellent linen backing/restoration job?

Neo, there dont seem to be many backing/restoration videos out there. I did come across one, created by J Fields Studio, back in 2008, when they backed a 24 sheet for the magician, Carter The Great. It isnt the best video quality and the 5 hr job was sped up to show the process from start to finish, but it is something. I know that J Fields recently moved to Seattle. Several MOPO members have used them and have been happy with their work.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2012, 03:25:51 PM »

I think he gets the work because he does it for cheap, and people love to think that even though it's a cheap price, they're going to get quality work.  In his case, it's too good to be true.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2012, 03:31:39 PM »
And 2 clips from Poster Mountain.

Backing a 24 sheet for Cecil B DeMille's King of Kings:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/bzCEnizQP90" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/bzCEnizQP90</a>

and backing/restoring a 28 sheet for the magician, Bancroft. This video shows more detail, sections worked on, and the processes leading up to the final backing:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/63aPdg6gTvw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/63aPdg6gTvw</a>

« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 02:10:28 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2012, 06:31:04 PM »
Thanks for posting those links, Jeff.
Very cool.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2012, 06:46:35 PM »

I think he gets the work because he does it for cheap, and people love to think that even though it's a cheap price, they're going to get quality work.  In his case, it's too good to be true.

You're probably right, Holiday.  I used to work at a Tire Kingdom, and people expected the best work, at the cheapest price, and in the fastest time.  In reality, at least with auto mechanics, it is not possible to have all three.  Logically it is the same in any field.  The main reason I went to Poster Conservation was because they had great prices, and assured me it would be a quick turnaround time.  Their prices are lower than anywhere else I looked (I didn't look at Posterfix for obvious reasons), the work was excellent, the total turnaround time was about 2 weeks, and they are very nice people to deal with.  Doesn't get much better than that, not to sound like an online advertisement, but that was my experience with Poster Conservation.

Great links, Jeff.  Based on the videos, it looks like Poster Mountain and J. Fields take a lot of care with their work.  Thanks for posting those.

After looking into it, DIY linen backing is probably not practical, but it would be cool if you could prove me wrong, Charlie.  I looked into DIY framing a couple years ago, and for the frame moldings I wanted, some good equipment to cut and join the moldings, cut the plexi and foamboard, etc., I would have to frame about 60 one sheets to start saving any money.  Since there is a framing place that does my frames perfectly, it really doesn't make any sense to spend that much time, and extra money since I'm not going to have 60 one sheet frames.  It's about the same dealio with linen backing.  Not to mention the learning curve with anything.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:50:15 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2012, 04:14:11 PM »
Thought you guys might find this humorous (and scary).

Read this clown's response to the negative feedback he received recently...

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=posterfix.com&&_trksid=p4340.l2560&iid=370625721604&sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

Paid by USPS Money Order $833.95 on 12/27... Will file a claim with USPS 2/23.   

Member id 1878-1899 ( Feedback Score Of 219Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499)
   Feb-22-12 21:00

Reply by posterfix.com (Mar-03-12 20:50):
    I still have your posters, you want my BEST work? remove this silly feedback
        Follow-up by 1878-1899 (Mar-05-12 15:27):
        _Numerous BBB complaints on file.. Filed MAIL FRAUD CHARGES w/Postal Inspector !

LINEN BACKING for your 1-sheet POSTER $119~ free shipping in USA (#370570101171)   US $99.00

PAID 12/27 shipped poster.. Seller was out-of-country, Now won't reply to emails   
Member id 1878-1899 ( Feedback Score Of 219Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499)
   Feb-22-12 12:03

Reply by posterfix.com (Mar-03-12 20:51):
    But I have your posters and your money. and now I dont have to complete them
        Follow-up by 1878-1899 (Mar-05-12 15:24):
        Thank you for admitting to MAIL FRAUD.. Forwarded to NY Attorney Gen office.

LINEN BACKING for your 3-sheet POSTER $289~ free ship in USA (#370570101593)   US $289.00
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 04:14:43 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2012, 04:16:06 PM »
What an asshole...
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2012, 04:17:37 PM »
What an asshole...

Indeed - goes to show why people really need to perform their due diligence before handing over their $$$ and property!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »
I just looked at the BBB site. While Posterfix is not accredited with them, the company still has gotten an F rating from the BBB, based on 18 complaints, twelve of which were never responded to by Cloutier.

Here were the complaint types, by break down:

Complaint Type      Total Closed Complaints

Advertising/Sales Issues:          4
Billing/Collection Issues:           0
Delivery Issues:                   7
Guarantee/Warranty Issues:      0
Problems with Product/Service:  7

Total Closed Complaints:         18
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 04:37:50 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2012, 04:43:13 PM »
Damn - I wish he had responded!  Would have been good for some more laughs...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2012, 04:44:20 PM »
Oh for some reason I didn't see a "Is a Complete Douchebag" complaint category?!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2012, 04:51:30 PM »
Damn - I wish he had responded!  Would have been good for some more laughs...

He did respond to 6, but the responses are not included on the BBB site; only that he, in fact, had.

-Jeff

Matt

« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2012, 02:46:31 AM »
Thank you for admitting to MAIL FRAUD.. Forwarded to NY Attorney Gen office

Love this response.   It's politely saying "Right back at you Snapperhead!!!"

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2012, 11:30:52 AM »
Dude has big balls.
He needs a few swift kicks, doesn't he?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »
I happened to look at one of his more recent restoration videos, where he once again, has, what looks to be a 12x12" ceramic tile, with touch up border paint, sitting RIGHT ON THE POSTER he is working on. He dips his brush onto that tile and then works on the border touch ups. All i could think about was the potential for paint drops off that brush falling onto the main artwork of the poster.  Unreal.

nono

-Jeff

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #48 on: June 25, 2012, 01:57:44 PM »
But I have your posters and your money. and now I dont have to complete them

This is heading into Hughes territory.  Is there some chemical these restorers use that melts the "return your poster" part of the brain? 
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Charlie

« Reply #49 on: June 25, 2012, 02:10:11 PM »
This is heading into Hughes territory.  Is there some chemical these restorers use that melts the "return your poster" part of the brain? 

Only if they use fixative...  The only thing I have to use outside is fixative else no other strong odors.  Sometime the Orvus puts off a strong odor, as does the bleach, and vinegar...  But not enough to make you loopy...  Only the fixative.