Author Topic: Restorer to avoid: Posterfix  (Read 94663 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Restorer to avoid: Posterfix
« Reply #175 on: February 14, 2017, 02:10:14 PM »
laugh1

hey, I agree with Ted on something

I wonder if Chris wants this thread deleted?

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

guest4531

« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2018, 05:37:49 AM »
At 6.18s, painful to watch !!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/fdnptzgw2jM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/fdnptzgw2jM</a>

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #177 on: January 11, 2018, 09:37:38 AM »
That moment is truly cringing.. Cloutier basically causing a new 6-8" fold split when he unfolded that section.

Or at 3;45, where the helper says that the masa paper "is bending" because it sounds like it was cut unevenly.

Amatuer hour at its finest.  eyeroll

Tho maybe his wife or mother in law stepped in at one point (scene unseen), with her paint brush and bottle of Elmer's glue, to repair said tear.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:07:58 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2018, 02:13:50 PM »
Jeez!

Fucking horrendous.

Couldn't watch any of the rest.

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2018, 05:01:39 PM »
Why would they even post this video?
All it can do is cause people not to want to use them.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #180 on: January 11, 2018, 07:38:04 PM »
In the first two mins only:
- opening the video with what looks like peoples posters on a frame either about to topple over or get run over by a trolley
- At 0:21 depressing music with the guy stirring paste on the floor like a dog in a corner.
- At 1:40 Chris instructs assistant how to place the massa paper on the canvas. It sounds like the assistant never done it before

- yea, causes big tear at 6:19
- Ah 7:30 discusses trimming the poster edge because it looks like it wont fit in the frame dry. As the poster will expand when rolled wet he'd have to trim more. Sounds like the linen will be to the poster edge rather than some extra for protection when rolled.
- from 8:30 he's pasting the back of the poster but the video doesn't show how he turns the poster over (ususally via a plastic film underneath). I bet he turns it by lifting that dry poster underneath it that he is pasting the front of.
- yeah he has trimmed the left and right sides of the poster to fit the frame see untrimmed version here
- he describes this poster as a US 6 sheet. It is a 2 panel French (see link above) bahahahaha
- what the... is that distorted yellow frame at 15:40
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:02:01 PM by 50s »

guest4531

« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2018, 01:39:27 AM »
In the first two mins only:
- opening the video with what looks like peoples posters on a frame either about to topple over or get run over by a trolley
- At 0:21 depressing music with the guy stirring paste on the floor like a dog in a corner.
- At 1:40 Chris instructs assistant how to place the massa paper on the canvas. It sounds like the assistant never done it before

- yea, causes big tear at 6:19
- Ah 7:30 discusses trimming the poster edge because it looks like it wont fit in the frame dry. As the poster will expand when rolled wet he'd have to trim more. Sounds like the linen will be to the poster edge rather than some extra for protection when rolled.
- from 8:30 he's pasting the back of the poster but the video doesn't show how he turns the poster over (ususally via a plastic film underneath). I bet he turns it by lifting that dry poster underneath it that he is pasting the front of.
- yeah he has trimmed the left and right sides of the poster to fit the frame see untrimmed version here
- he describes this poster as a US 6 sheet. It is a 2 panel French (see link above) bahahahaha
- what the... is that distorted yellow frame at 15:40

Thanks for that !!   Indeed, I noticed the discrepancies in poster description.

I watched the video without sound so I noticed there were something wrong and I had no idea this guy is literally saying he is gonna trim the poster. 
Utterly shocking, even it is a $120 poster!!  The distorted yellow frame is to highlight the foolinesh of circus I guess.    Yep, a little cleaning on a mylar sheet to clean the dirt in foldlines (often seen in French posters) and proper pasting using mylar would have been better but he was paid cheap, isn't ?

a) Wait, this guy has been doing this for so many years and he is doing poster-kiddie mistake.  How comes

b) How much do you think he was paid to do this job ? $150 ?

c) Let's find the opposite, is there a video showing a 100% neat proper linenbacking ?  Plz share

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #182 on: January 12, 2018, 12:33:00 PM »
Why would they even post this video?
All it can do is cause people not to want to use them.

He's his own worst enemy, when it comes to these self-promotion videos.

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #183 on: January 12, 2018, 02:27:46 PM »
Yet another... (working on 10 Hitchcock posters)

Watch @ 2;15, at which point, while Cloutier is speaking and rolling on the wheat paste, he literally tears the poster while rolling on the glue -- and also comments on it, without a seeming care that he just damaged someone's poster.

And then again, at 12;35, where he shows that he cut out of a poster, a 1" x 8" piece, because there was some tape on the back. So he made a scan of that piece and replaced that cut out area with the piece he ran off on his laser printer.   Doh.gif

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WbGVDUeAoRg" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WbGVDUeAoRg</a>

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #184 on: January 12, 2018, 02:41:48 PM »
And one last, where (i think his wife), aka "Mrs Elmer's Glue," slops paint onto the upper left and right corners of an Allman Brothers concert poster from the 1970s. Look at the end result -- the corner retouches and recreations don't match all that well, either. They look like badly painted corners on what is a photographic image.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/I01zX_3s0CQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/I01zX_3s0CQ</a>

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #185 on: January 12, 2018, 03:45:32 PM »
And the tour de force.

Cloutier's wife (Ms Elmers) literally slopping paint over this entire poster. And listen to the dialog near the beginning, when she's painting the border and the color isnt quite right. Cloutier comments to the effect of (@1;26), "...dont worry about being perfect, you're going to give it TWO coats, anyhow...." She then adds more white to the green shade she was applying and continues.

And look at the closeup paint and pencil work being done to the hair and hairline of the woman on the poster, starting at 3;00, and then jump to 4;32, if wanted.

Huge sections of this poster were literally covered in paint, along with poor retouching. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IYF9605tmXY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IYF9605tmXY</a>

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #186 on: January 12, 2018, 04:13:53 PM »
someone came to my office to pick up auction wins last week and was about to send them stuff for restor.

saved him

success..one.person.at.a.time.......

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #187 on: January 12, 2018, 08:40:42 PM »
someone came to my office to pick up auction wins last week and was about to send them stuff for restor.

saved him

success..one.person.at.a.time.......

Bravo, Rich.

Saving one at a time (legitimately) is the way to do it.

Good on you!!

That buyer/collector will be ahead of the game in the long run, with advice from genuine, dedicated dealers such as yourself. On any topic, including restoration.

clap clap
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:44:02 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #188 on: January 12, 2018, 08:59:43 PM »
Good on you!!

That buyer/collector will be ahead of the game in the long run, with advice from genuine, dedicated dealers such as yourself. On any topic, including restoration.
thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif I agree with Jeff. Well done ol' chap!
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #189 on: January 13, 2018, 04:06:45 AM »
One could always post this thread as a comment below his videos but that may seem a bit too below the belt.  But, if the interest of other poster collectors is indeed the case, might be the only way to provide balance to his self promotion.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #190 on: January 13, 2018, 09:01:24 AM »
I wondered, when looking at some of his other recent videos yesterday, if Cloutier would reply to comments/criticism or observations made in his videos (like when he tore the one with the wheat paste roller), on youtube itself. Or maybe he'd just ignore them.

dontknow.gif

-Jeff

• Post-aholic
« Reply #191 on: January 13, 2018, 03:09:39 PM »
thanks fellas

the had seen the videos and thought he looked good. I explained real methods and he was glad I did.

I should note, I realzie it wasn't a customer coming to make a pickup, but a Fed-x driver making a delivery. I saw him drive up so I went outseide to get the package. My door is blacked out (purposely) and he asked "what do you do in there?". I said "I sell vintage movie posters" and he perked up and asked me back "you mean like one sheets and stuff?"

"I sure do, come on in....."

new customer!

his next delivery may have been a little late
 ;D

-------

guest4531

« Reply #192 on: January 15, 2018, 01:00:26 AM »
How much do you think he was paid to do the Spartacus job ?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #193 on: January 15, 2018, 02:02:49 AM »
How much do you think he was paid to do the Spartacus job ?

if he was paid bus fare uptown, it was too much

-------

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2018, 11:03:39 AM »
Guy is a total train wreck. Can barely manage himself and his private life, not sure why anyone would send him a poster. 5 minutes on google is worth it, not sure why people don't research something like this especially with valuable posters. They do with kitchen countertops, a new roof, etc etc
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #195 on: April 08, 2018, 11:03:53 PM »
Just in case you thought you'd seen it all with Pfix.

Here he is linen backing...... an original Japanese Imperial flag from WWII   

Why would you linen back a flag, at all?? Let alone the fact that one side will be forever hidden? Doh.gif  faint2.gif   jawdrop uhno

And notice how he describes his concern about removing some stains from the flag, prior to backing as he's concerned the INKS used on the flag may run. Last I checked, fabrics were (and are) typically colored with dyes.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AV4tmULmyBY" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AV4tmULmyBY</a>
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 11:51:49 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #196 on: April 08, 2018, 11:50:01 PM »
 :-X
Chris

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #197 on: April 09, 2018, 05:07:19 AM »
Well, to be fair to Posterfix, if their client asked them to linen back a flag, who are Posterfix to say no.  We don't know whether there was any discussion between PF and client to suggest otherwise.

And as for not seeing one side of it, I understand people frame flags.  Be the frames sealed or otherwise.

But, it is quite curious that there was no desire to clean the flag up and fill in post linen backing.  Otherwise, one just sees the pristine white of the linen behind the flag and through the holes...

Dunno.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #198 on: April 09, 2018, 09:27:05 AM »
He would linen back his mother if she was still around to try to preserve her

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #199 on: April 09, 2018, 09:39:59 AM »
Got it.