All Poster Forum
October 30, 2014, 01:56:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Official 2012 Election thread!  (Read 6206 times)
MoviePosterBid.com
Curator

« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2012, 04:31:14 PM »

And yours isn't?

what fantasy is mine??

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------
MoviePosterBid.com
Curator

« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2012, 04:50:01 PM »

So, what we have today is what you support? Good to know.

Chop, what does that statement even mean??

as Jay eruditely points out, the system that we currently have is the system that has been in place the world over for thousands of years. I think a real good allegory for what happens when you have no taxes is the South Park episode where Cartman buys himself an amusement park so he can have it all to himself. He soon needs a security guard to keep out others, then he needs a repairman to fix broken rides, then he needs a box office employee to sell tickets and soon enough he's selling loads of tickets because his amusement park can't exist without revenues.

What we have here in America will not change, largely because it's impossible to guarantee even a modicum of populist satisfaction within a society made up of many millions of people of different faiths, philosophies, sizes and colors. Society has rules, just like a baseball game or a boxing match. The thought that we could eliminate those rules to go to a system like Ultimate Fighting where there are literally no rules is not just a fantasy - it's ridiculous.

all the government services that are provided to the population require taxes to be paid so that these services meet certain criteria. If you don't want income taxes, then you'll have other taxes to take their place in order for the government to function. Without government, you have complete anarchy because each individual has a different philosophy. Do you want there to be police so when a guy steals your flat screen TV you have somewhere to file a complaint, or would you rather that you just had vigilante justice where people just go over to the guy's house and beat the fuck out of him? If you say the latter, remember that the police are also there to prevent people from making false claims so the vigilantes don't wrongfully come to your house to beat the fuck out of you when the thief says he's the victim, not you.

why not get rid of the Public Utilities Commissions in each state that are the backstop against energy companies like Nevada Power from raising rates as they wish without any price controls, or get rid of the Fire Stations and when your house burns down you can be at the mercy of that private company that pulls their fire engines up to your home and watch it burn because you didn't pay a $75 "membership fee" like they have in some municipalities in Tennessee

do I think the government needs to get their act together, stop wasting money and live with what seems reasonable? (and reasonable to me isn't the same as reasonable to you).

If you eliminate government - forget about road upkeep. Forget about food safety, forget about workplace safety, forget about mileage mandates for cars, safety mandates for amusement park (hey.. they killed Kenny. You bastards)

Grover Norquist's tax pledges are the most ridiculous thing around. Anyone who signs on to them is a fool, as that sort of Utopian view goes nowhere

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------
Chop-Top
Curator

The way the forum banner should be...

« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2012, 04:56:12 PM »

Chop, what does that statement even mean??

as Jay eruditely points out, the system that we currently have is the system that has been in place the world over for thousands of years. I think a real good allegory for what happens when you have no taxes is the South Park episode where Cartman buys himself an amusement park so he can have it all to himself. He soon needs a security guard to keep out others, then he needs a repairman to fix broken rides, then he needs a box office employee to sell tickets and soon enough he's selling loads of tickets because his amusement park can't exist without revenues.

What we have here in America will not change, largely because it's impossible to guarantee even a modicum of populist satisfaction within a society made up of many millions of people of different faiths, philosophies, sizes and colors. Society has rules, just like a baseball game or a boxing match. The thought that we could eliminate those rules to go to a system like Ultimate Fighting where there are literally no rules is not just a fantasy - it's ridiculous.

all the government services that are provided to the population require taxes to be paid so that these services meet certain criteria. If you don't want income taxes, then you'll have other taxes to take their place in order for the government to function. Without government, you have complete anarchy because each individual has a different philosophy. Do you want there to be police so when a guy steals your flat screen TV you have somewhere to file a complaint, or would you rather that you just had vigilante justice where people just go over to the guy's house and beat the fuck out of him? If you say the latter, remember that the police are also there to prevent people from making false claims so the vigilantes don't wrongfully come to your house to beat the fuck out of you when the thief says he's the victim, not you.

why not get rid of the Public Utilities Commissions in each state that are the backstop against energy companies like Nevada Power from raising rates as they wish without any price controls, or get rid of the Fire Stations and when your house burns down you can be at the mercy of that private company that pulls their fire engines up to your home and watch it burn because you didn't pay a $75 "membership fee" like they have in some municipalities in Tennessee

do I think the government needs to get their act together, stop wasting money and live with what seems reasonable? (and reasonable to me isn't the same as reasonable to you).

If you eliminate government - forget about road upkeep. Forget about food safety, forget about workplace safety, forget about mileage mandates for cars, safety mandates for amusement park (hey.. they killed Kenny. You bastards)

Grover Norquist's tax pledges are the most ridiculous thing around. Anyone who signs on to them is a fool, as that sort of Utopian view goes nowhere

So, are you going to read Economics in One Lesson or no?
MoviePosterBid.com
Curator

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2012, 05:01:52 PM »

So, are you going to read Economics in One Lesson or no?

typical republican.. no answers, just obfuscation

-------
jayn_j
Curator

« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2012, 05:24:18 PM »

typical republican.. no answers, just obfuscation

Unfair Rich.  If you read back in the thread, you will see people from both sides of the politics weighing in on this one.

Jay
Chop-Top
Curator

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2012, 05:40:28 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Economics-One-Lesson-Shortest-Understand/dp/0517548232/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326407992&sr=1-1
theartofmovieposters
Curator

« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2012, 05:46:59 PM »

Competition makes services better, ALL services.

Um, then how come our privately run public transport system here is so crap.

Ves
Chop-Top
Curator

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2012, 06:02:10 PM »

Um, then how come our privately run public transport system here is so crap.

Because they have no competition. Private-run doesn't mean they have competition, it means they are a government PROTECTED monopoly.
MoviePosterBid.com
Curator

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »

Unfair Rich.  If you read back in the thread, you will see people from both sides of the politics weighing in on this one.

it's the obfuscation part that is however so obvious Jay.
and Chop, I have run my own business since I was a kid and I have done quite a bit of study on economics. I most certainly have a fantastic hold of the subject because I HAVE NO DEBT

I don't owe banks one penny.
My CC debt is so negligible I don't even notice it.
I owe nothing
oops.. a little incorrect.. I owe Heritage, I owe Bruce, I owe a semi-partner (someone I buy some collections with). each is such short-term debt (except Heritage.. as soon as I'm paid off for the last signature auction, I wind up buying more in the next auction.. vicious cycle) that like my CC debt, I don't notice it

I'm looking for a building right now.. I'm trying to sell stuff from my collection (very very expensive art) so that I can pay cash.
when I bought my 3000GT VR4 in 1994, I paid cash.

I would say I  know alot more about economics than a lot of other people, so I don't need to read an economics course by anyone unless it's going to be someone like Warren Buffett

the best economics of all is to not borrow money.
Interest payments are a self-imposed tax
why would I want to give a banker money so I can splurge? that's ridiculous

-------
Chop-Top
Curator

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2012, 01:34:15 AM »

it's the obfuscation part that is however so obvious Jay.
and Chop, I have run my own business since I was a kid and I have done quite a bit of study on economics. I most certainly have a fantastic hold of the subject because I HAVE NO DEBT

I don't owe banks one penny.
My CC debt is so negligible I don't even notice it.
I owe nothing
oops.. a little incorrect.. I owe Heritage, I owe Bruce, I owe a semi-partner (someone I buy some collections with). each is such short-term debt (except Heritage.. as soon as I'm paid off for the last signature auction, I wind up buying more in the next auction.. vicious cycle) that like my CC debt, I don't notice it

I'm looking for a building right now.. I'm trying to sell stuff from my collection (very very expensive art) so that I can pay cash.
when I bought my 3000GT VR4 in 1994, I paid cash.

I would say I  know alot more about economics than a lot of other people, so I don't need to read an economics course by anyone unless it's going to be someone like Warren Buffett

the best economics of all is to not borrow money.
Interest payments are a self-imposed tax
why would I want to give a banker money so I can splurge? that's ridiculous

You definitely have sound personal finances. You just need to study up on Austrian Economics and then you'll be able to have more money put into your own pocket instead of the lobbyists, politicians, banksters, military-industrial complex, Big Pharma, etc. For instance, I understand inflation, so I came out better by stocking up on silver rounds in 2008-09. I sold most if it after it tripled in value. This was all predicted by the Austrian economists.
Louie D.
Curator

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2012, 02:14:40 PM »

http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/18/10185871-gingrich-ex-wife-claims-he-sought-open-relationship-candidate-wont-say-anything-negative

More of Newt showing his true self.

MoviePosterBid.com
Curator

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2012, 10:30:43 PM »

well Louie.. you do realize that Newtie has been "forgiven" by Gawd don't you.
all his sins are forgotten

wynk

-------
Louie D.
Curator

« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2012, 12:49:32 AM »

wynk

It's true, he forgives, it's his followers who don't.

MoviePosterBid.com
Curator

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2012, 01:22:56 AM »

wynk
It's true, he forgives, it's his followers who don't.

good point

-------
Harry Caul
Curator

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2012, 08:16:40 AM »

Great article on Obama...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/2012/01/15/andrew-sullivan-how-obama-s-long-game-will-outsmart-his-critics.html

MoviePosterBid.com
Curator

« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2012, 01:43:04 PM »

it is a very good article, but those on the right will not hear it becauise they are deaf to the truth - as long as the truth is in opposition to their interests

one thing I disagree with however is that Dems are disappointed with Obama.. I am not. I am a pragmatist myself & I completely understand his strategy. Even right-leaning Gallup polls show that Dems overwhelmingly him

-------
MoviePosterBid.com
Curator

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2012, 01:49:44 PM »

I might add something.. It seems Gingrich might win SC.

really and truly I find it beyond hypocritical that those who decry Bill Clinton for his philandering ways (I decry this in a man myself), but could find no other evidence that he was not otherwise a fantastic President are hoping like Hell that the serial philanderer and obviously visible liar will go up against Obama in November.

Those who wish Gingrish to win (on the right - I'll love it if he gets the nod because Obama will dump Gingirch like Gingrich dumps his wives) are so blind to real justice in this arena, that there is just no political comparison to find in history of what ignorance it is to want Gongrich to be POTUS

-------
MoviePosterBid.com
Curator

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2012, 01:59:47 PM »

it couldn't be a funnier statement

Gingrish said on Meet the Pres today:
“One of the reasons I think people in South Carolina voted for me is the  belief that I could debate Obama head to head and convey American values

what family values is he talking about? the ones about being a liar or the ones about screwing around with other women while you are married??

yeah.. those are great "family values"

laugh

-------
Louie D.
Curator

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2012, 02:24:03 PM »

MoviePosterBid.com
Curator

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2012, 02:52:30 AM »

the above pic is from the front page of ABCnews.com
I love it.. this is Newt talking about Romney. He cheated on 2 wives and and had who knows how many affairs we don't know about and he talks about the other guy being dishonest??

How can anyone consider voting for this guy?
I hope like anything this guy is the candidate.
Obama will beat on him like Tommy Lee beats on a bass drum

-------
stewart boyle
Curator

« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2012, 05:19:33 AM »

the above pic is from the front page of ABCnews.com
I love it.. this is Newt talking about Romney. He cheated on 2 wives and and had who knows how many affairs we don't know about and he talks about the other guy being dishonest??

How can anyone consider voting for this guy?
I hope like anything this guy is the candidate.
Obama will beat on him like Tommy Lee beats on a bass drum
He wants to build a moon base by 2020,how cool is that?

Stew
jayn_j
Curator

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2012, 10:26:04 AM »

Stew

Hey, I built a moon base way back in the '50s.  It took a lot of Legos. Smiley

Jay
Louie D.
Curator

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2012, 11:45:06 AM »

Stew

Yeah, where's the $$$$$ coming for that project? 

MoviePosterBid.com
Curator

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2012, 01:38:35 PM »

the guy is full of so much hot air if he holds his breath he might be able to fly to the moon on his own power

-------
stewart boyle
Curator

« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2012, 03:15:06 PM »

the guy is full of so much hot air if he holds his breath he might be able to fly to the moon on his own power
The Canadians seem to have cornered the market on Lego supplies for Moon base Newt.
Lego man in Space

Stew
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: