Author Topic: 2012  (Read 513451 times)

Freefall

Re: January 2012
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2012, 02:50:24 AM »
Yesh!  Glad you're back on the original MP bandwagon!

HEHEHEH! Thanks, Mel. It's good to be back :)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2012, 08:50:08 AM »

Just had to get this theatrical release poster for a poster that was never released theatrically here in the States. In 1988, Imperial home video came to me with this film that they had picked up for video distribution.  They wanted me to screen it and possibly provide them with a quote to use on the box art.  Unfortunately, it was the worst thing I think I've ever seen and I couldn't fabricate anything better than, "Worst piece of shit I've ever seen."  Needless to say, they weren't enthused by my endorsement. I really liked the box art, but they didn't bother to produce a video poster (or use my quote).  I think it's a great example of cool poster art for a truly awful film...a favorite sub-collection of mine.

If you'd like to read some of the most thought-provoking quotes from a truly bad film, check these out: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098156/quotes
My favorite: "We're not knocking over tin cans here, this is reality. "

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2012, 12:04:22 PM »
I've always liked that ROTOR poster, even if I've never seen the film (and probably never will). It's fairly shameless in its 'homage' to the Mad Max one sheet but it's still a great piece of artwork, IMO.

I added these two 'Raiders...' quads to my site today:

Style A - artwork by Richard Amsel

Style B - artwork by Brian Bysouth

Which do you guys prefer? I realise that Bysouth's Indy isn't wearing a fedora and leather jacket but I still think his action-filled montage does a better job of selling the film (not the character) to the unaware cinema-goer.

My favourite Indy poster is still the Raiders '82RR though.
My collection website: Film on Paper
Twitter: @filmonpaper

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2012, 12:31:55 PM »
Nice Ed, I do still prefer the Amsel Quad, and yes the Hat and Jacket has a lot to do with it, plus that White back ground...Which is why I have never bothered with the style B. I maybe should pick it up next time a reasonable priced one turns up....

I do agree that 82 release is rather good... thumbup
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:36:01 PM by paul waines »
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2012, 12:34:11 PM »
Style B for me.

Stew

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2012, 01:20:45 PM »
The Bysouth art is my favorite art for the film.  I have the quad, but need to get the one sheet one of these days.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2012, 01:46:51 PM »
Sorry Ed, but those quads are design disasters, 60% text/credits. Like the British poster book says, in the 80s the studios began inappropriately slapping one sheet art on quads to save money. It's too bad. Landscape art would have been perfect for a movie like ROTLA.

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2012, 01:53:33 PM »
 :P

Whilst I'll concede that the Amsel art works better on a one sheet, I'd hardly call either poster a design disaster. The Bysouth art works just as well on the quad as the UK one sheet, particularly since it's full height and the title is given room to breath. I could live without the press quote though.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of blank space Mel...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2012, 04:59:55 PM »
I agree with Mel...  I don't think the quad format does these posters any good.  It does on some, but not these.

On a side note...  Nice posters, Ed.  You make me laugh with your rolled obsession.  I admire your perseverance.  I don't understand it, but I admire it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Ed_209uk

• Hobbyist
    • Film on Paper
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2012, 05:04:25 PM »
Thanks T. We've all got our weird poster-related obsessions though, right? *cough* completist *cough*  ;D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 05:06:33 PM by Ed_209uk »

Online skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2012, 05:25:25 PM »
I agree with Ed on this one. It took me about 10 years before I buckled and bought a folded poster because I couldn't find a rolled version anywhere. Folds just seem wrong to me.

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2012, 06:05:50 PM »

Just had to get this theatrical release poster for a poster that was never released theatrically here in the States. In 1988, Imperial home video came to me with this film that they had picked up for video distribution.  They wanted me to screen it and possibly provide them with a quote to use on the box art.  Unfortunately, it was the worst thing I think I've ever seen and I couldn't fabricate anything better than, "Worst piece of shit I've ever seen."  Needless to say, they weren't enthused by my endorsement. I really liked the box art, but they didn't bother to produce a video poster (or use my quote).  I think it's a great example of cool poster art for a truly awful film...a favorite sub-collection of mine.

If you'd like to read some of the most thought-provoking quotes from a truly bad film, check these out: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098156/quotes
My favorite: "We're not knocking over tin cans here, this is reality. "

There was a video poster for this movie. Same art, but smaller. Ironically the video poster shows "more" of the background than the one sheet. Oh well.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2012, 06:07:08 PM »
Speaking of completist (cough cough) Brigitte is already costing me a lot of money this month, and we're only 6 days into 2012.

Haine, Amour et Trahison (Italian 4 Foglio, Art by Anselmo Ballester, 1954).  I will post a better picture later.

Futures Vedettes (French 1 panel, Art by Rene Peron, 1955) - Bought this one in November, but it got lost in the mail.  Got it a few days ago.  The picture doesn't do it justice, it is gorgeous.

Le Repos du Guerrier (French 1 panel, Art by Georges Allard, 1962)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2012, 07:00:32 PM »
The Bysouth art is my favorite art for the film.  I have the quad, but need to get the one sheet one of these days.

Agree with you and Stew but it is pretty damn close. Love both posters. One of the titles that has somehow eluded me in either form. Hate when everyone wants one. Cant blame em. Great arts for a great movie.

It is so much easier with the posters most other people dont like enough.  8)

Excellent adds Ed.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 07:01:09 PM by Zorba »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2012, 07:02:28 PM »
T your money is once again very well spent. Great stuff!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2012, 08:19:38 PM »
That is the kind of posters I like to see T spending on rather than the modern cr........stuff.  clap Jollyfine start to the year T keep it up.
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2012, 09:10:42 PM »
That is the kind of posters I like to see T spending on rather than the modern cr........stuff.  

I doubt T will stop and I definitely will not be deterred.  Crapalapoulos is my middle name!

Though I will say you would probably be correct at least 90% of the time.  8)

For shits and giggles, I really would like to see a definitive cut off point from the true experts (such as you) for what is modern and I am not talking about louie's idea of 1492.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 09:12:24 PM by Zorba »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2012, 09:25:23 PM »
That is the kind of posters I like to see T spending on rather than the modern cr........stuff.  clap Jollyfine start to the year T keep it up.

Agree on all counts
Chris

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2012, 09:28:51 PM »
There was a video poster for this movie. Same art, but smaller. Ironically the video poster shows "more" of the background than the one sheet. Oh well.

Funny... I have never seen one.  Not even at the VSDA trade show when the film debuted -- they used a duratrans then..
Do you have one?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2012, 09:32:32 PM »
Haine, Amour et Trahison (Italian 4 Foglio, Art by Anselmo Ballester, 1954).  I will post a better picture later.

That is truly magnificent.  clap clap clap

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »
Missed this one Mel. Cool in a very different way.  8)

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2012, 10:16:39 PM »
Just picked these Turkish posters up today
Pumpkinhead
Jason Lives: Friday the 13th VI

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2012, 10:21:34 PM »
Missed this one Mel. Cool in a very different way.  8)

I like it too.  Added to my list of 30,000 posters :)
My Personal Collection

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2012, 10:27:40 PM »

Thanks for the heads up... but I respectfully disagree. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with modern posters.  I see it as a continuation.  I like all posters, and it's fascinating to me to see the artistic currents from the 40s to today and tomorrow.  I will not turn my nose up to current fare just because it's less fashionable than 50s or 60s advertisements.  One day, what you guys call crap will be viewed as a reflection of today's society.  Posters will change again.  They might even cease to exist.  My goal, if goal there is, is to eventually save it for future generations and make sense out of it.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2012, 10:37:04 PM »
Thanks for the heads up... but I respectfully disagree. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with modern posters.  I see it as a continuation.  I like all posters, and it's fascinating to me to see the artistic currents from the 40s to today and tomorrow.  I will not turn my nose up to current fare just because it's less fashionable than 50s or 60s advertisements.  One day, what you guys call crap will be viewed as a reflection of today's society.  Posters will change again.  They might even cease to exist.  My goal, if goal there is, is to eventually save it for future generations and make sense out of it.

T

Well said!