Author Topic: How can I display movie posters without using a frame?  (Read 28543 times)

Juli

How can I display movie posters without using a frame?
« on: February 01, 2010, 12:24:28 AM »
Since I do not know how to hang up frames, especially large ones, and do not want to put holes in my walls...I wanted to know if there was a way that I could display movie posters on my bedroom walls?

I was using tape, but seeing as I'm replacing my "fake" posters with originals, I would rather not use tape or thumb tacks on them. Is there an alternative to this? An easy way to display the poster, but without ruining the poster in any way?

I would appreciate any idea, suggestions. Thanks.

~ Juli

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: How can I display movie posters without using a frame?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 12:37:16 AM »
some people get those small round magnets, stick four to the wall, then  put another on the other side of the poster, not glued to the poster, never done it myself, might damage, dunno, I sometimes just pin em up, depends on the value,
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 03:40:18 PM »
I know people have made nifty things, like putting two sets of two thin pieces of wood together.
So one set runs along the top of the poster, and the other along the bottom, with the poster top and bottom wedged between.  The wood is then clamped together, with some string added to the top two pieces to have somewhere to hang from.  I probably didn't explain that very well, but If I can find the member who did it (had a loverly very large french poster hung this way) perhaps they can post some pics.  I'll go search...

Alternatively, buy some mylar sleeves, put the posters in and then tape or tack the mylar to the wall instead of the poster.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 04:12:01 PM by theartofmovieposters »
Ves

Juli

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 04:07:57 PM »
^ I think I remember seeing that somewhere.

I actually was thinking about this last night and thought of the Mylar idea as well.

~ Juli

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 04:10:49 PM »
I found the collector and pic who came up with the nifty wood frame.  Peter!  oldposterho...
Take a look at the poster on the left:

And then I saw Dave posteropolis' solution while looking for Peter's...

So a few more options for you
Ves

kauaitx

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »

There's mounting puddy, Juli, that that doesn't leave a residue.  You tack it to the wall than tack your poster to the puddy at the corners.  It's the no-nonsense, I-don't-have-time-to-pick-up-a-hammer path of least exertion.  Just be careful when it comes time to peel off the poster from the wall.  You'll be able to peel off the puddy from the poster, but just take it slowly.

Although it's a little more work, I like Peter's method that looks very artistic and tapestry-like.

Jeannie

Postertrader

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 02:23:54 AM »
You can buy a plastic version of what Peter has done with the wooden strips. They are called poster hangers surprisingly and are relatively cheap, pick them up from Ebay etc. They actually slide over the top and bottom edges of the poster so you would have to be careful not to tear an original.

Offline skyjackers

• Collector
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 03:23:42 AM »
You can buy a plastic version of what Peter has done with the wooden strips. They are called poster hangers surprisingly and are relatively cheap, pick them up from Ebay etc. They actually slide over the top and bottom edges of the poster so you would have to be careful not to tear an original.

These work well, but speaking from experience, can leave a very fine line where the poster has been gripped.

Juli

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 04:21:17 PM »
A little update.

I explained earlier in this thread how I found a way to display movie posters without using a frame. I cut corners out of mylar and stuck each corner of the poster in the mylar corners. Since the mylar is strong and holds whatever is in it well, I thought it would work with hanging posters, and it has. I do not have mylar sleeves the size of the poster so I could not put the whole poster in mylar unfortunately.

A few weeks ago I decided to hand up my first quad poster, The King's Speech, using this same method. It worked, but today I noticed the poster fell down. The mylar corners were all still taped to the wall. The poster suffered a crease, which I'm a little upset about. So I put the poster back into the corners, and right now it's holding up, but not sure if it'll fall down again.

What appeared to have happened was that the poster fell out of the top corners as the corners were not holding the poster good enough and the whole poster came out. Perhaps the quad poster is heavier than US one sheets, which I have yet had a problem with hanging.

So I ask, do you have any better ideas of how I can keep the poster from falling down again without putting tape on the poster directly? I also do not want to clamp it with anything as it will 1. not make it look nice and 2. the clamps leave marks.

Thanks for any ideas.

~ Juli
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 04:23:17 PM by Juli »

Juli

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2011, 04:29:08 PM »
Here is a picture of one of the corners to better illustrate what I did to hang this poster.

I put each of the poster's corners into a plastic/mylar corner and taped the plastic corners to the wall holding the poster.

Here is a picture of the damage that was caused to my King's Speech quad when it fell:

I don't know if there is a way to fix this. The crease has broken the ink a little, so I'm not happy about this.

~ Juli

Juli

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2011, 04:58:59 PM »
I have a great idea.

Bags Unlimited has Mylar/Polyester archival sleeves for both One Sheet and Quad movie posters. Only problem is you have to buy at least 10 of each. I only need 3 one sheet sizes and one Quad size. It would cost me at least $200 to buy ten of each (and who knows what shipping would cost), and I know if they sold them by the singles and I bought just what I needed I could save a whole lot of money.

To make matters worse, since I stopped collecting posters there is no way I'd never need the 9 leftover quad sleeves or the 7 left over one sheet sleeves. I just want to display a few of the movie posters I've decided to keep.

~ Juli
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 04:59:53 PM by Juli »

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2011, 05:53:12 PM »
Hey Juli,

PM me your address, I will send you some for free.

Cj

Juli

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2011, 07:50:08 PM »
Hey Juli,

PM me your address, I will send you some for free.

Cj

Are you being serious?  :o

If so, that is too nice of you. If not, lol.

~ Juli

Offline Cj

• Hobbyist
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2011, 07:59:59 PM »
Im being serious  :)

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 02:43:21 AM »
I think it will be a weight issue,have you thought about maybe adding a 4inch(?) strip of mylar to the vertical sides of the poster,?
that might stop it popping out of the the top..

Stew
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 02:44:19 AM by stewart boyle »

Juli

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 08:43:27 AM »
I think it will be a weight issue,have you thought about maybe adding a 4inch(?) strip of mylar to the vertical sides of the poster,?
that might stop it popping out of the the top..

Stew

I think I have my problem solved, thanks to Cj who will be able to provide me with the 4 sleeves I need for the 4 posters I have.

Thanks for your help.

~ Juli

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 01:06:52 PM »
I think I have my problem solved, thanks to Cj who will be able to provide me with the 4 sleeves I need for the 4 posters I have.
Thanks for your help.

~ Juli

everyone likes you here Juli

sm1

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 10:15:11 AM »
I have a lot of large posters (Italian 2-sheets and Thierry hates "French Grande"s) and I can't afford to frame each one! I also experimented with clips, but I found that for fragile posters, you can very easily tear and damage the poster. So I constructed a system made of 2 long pieces of wood, joined with linen cloth to form a sort of hinge, that can then be held together with clips. The posters hang straight from this hanger, with pressure evenly distributed, and it works great! I use this to rotate different posters in my living room, as below. I also did the same for hanging inserts and quads in other places in the apartment.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 10:49:59 AM »
Now that's a novel idea...  clap

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 10:56:10 AM »
Yeah, quite a good idea.
I'd still prefer some protection for it though.

F r e n c h Grandes look great on the wall, like some of the larger Italian posters.
Needless to say, I have neither on the wall!

Ad
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 10:56:57 AM by bondposters.com »
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 11:20:13 AM »
Great idea there, Rumble.  You just loosely place strips of linen to the wood?  Ever had any damage issues with that method?

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 07:22:10 PM »
You are like MacGyver....with movie posters.  Awesome!
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2011, 03:34:59 AM »
Thanks!  ;D

I cut the piece of cloth to exactly match the surface of the two wood boards, and glued the linen to them - it only takes very little glue, since they are kept in place with the clips.

I have never had any damage but as you see, the posters hang right over my couch, so when I have parties I take down the more expensive posters and hang some cool but replaceable pieces instead. Just in case somebody gets a little rowdy...!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 03:35:26 AM by rumble »

Offline rumble

• Hobbyist
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 08:13:57 AM »
Found a few more examples. Unfortunately, I am in the middle of moving house or I could have taken more detailed photos of the hanger!

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 10:39:20 AM »
Some excellent pieces there.  Really look great.

Thanks for the info.  I was looking into getting a few from posterhanger.com but they are a little overpriced IMHO, and I figured there is a way to make some that serve the same purpose for a small fraction of the cost.  Your advice probably saved me many, many hours of brainstorming.  sm1

Just in case somebody gets a little rowdy...!

Given your name, I'm sure at least one person shows up at your place and says http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpFITa9eYoQ  ;D