Author Topic: Favorite Purchases of 2011  (Read 102498 times)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Re: Best purchases of 2011
« Reply #175 on: January 05, 2012, 01:19:01 PM »
Ben, and anyone else who has decided to bring a child into their collection, gets my vote for best purchase all round lol.
Congratulations to all!

Anyway, my best purchase in that case would have to be the one I made on April 29, 2011 - my girlfriend.
She's a complete breath of fresh air.

Poster-wise, my best purchase has to be the seldom seen Diamonds Are Forever Marler Haley set (the full set, including the quad).

Cheers,
Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #176 on: January 05, 2012, 02:06:02 PM »
Adam, you'll go place's with that Girl. I don't know how you remember the date you met....  But I do know things like that impress women. ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #177 on: January 05, 2012, 02:33:04 PM »
Cheers, Paul.

I remember dates relatively easily, especially important ones.
April 29, 2011 is an important date in terms of the history of the Monarch, for Kelly and I will share our anniversary with that of the marriage of Prince William & Kate Middleton.

Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #178 on: January 05, 2012, 03:39:42 PM »
Thanks for the kind words re: my girls, fellas.

Bruce, are your kids into posters by any chance?

Adam, can we see pics of that DAF set?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #179 on: January 05, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »
Adam, can we see pics of that DAF set?

Of course, but after I've handed in my dissertation  ;D
Still have to photograph the quad!

Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #180 on: January 05, 2012, 04:06:14 PM »

But having kids was the best thing I ever did!

Ditto
David

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #181 on: January 05, 2012, 04:30:54 PM »
Yes this is a "forum for discussion," but why hijack this thread?
This one is about BEST PURCHASES OF 2011.

That's why I suggested someone start some Film Discussion threads.
Go for it, Leach.

Yes, heaven forbid a thread gets hijacked...   eyeroll

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #182 on: January 05, 2012, 04:37:22 PM »
But if its such a good thread hijack. Cant be much wrong with that Arch. ,?

Stew

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #183 on: January 05, 2012, 05:52:39 PM »
But if its such a good thread hijack. Cant be much wrong with that Arch. ,?

Stew

Actually, my point was that both my post and the adorable kids pic could be considered 'hijacking' by the exceptionally nitpicky amongst us, but so what? Conversations bend and weave and as long as they remain tangential to the subject at hand they further the cause by encouraging discussion and building engagement.  At some point, endless categorization becomes an exercise in futility.

I also note, that while the Brudster freaked out about my post, his reaction to the pic (which spawned a full page of comments far, far more off topic than my question) was purely hypocritical...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 05:59:23 PM by archie leach »

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #184 on: January 05, 2012, 06:22:19 PM »

We should start some genre-specific Film Discussion threads...

It's a good idea except the length of that thread would have many many branches! Not all genres are actually 'genres' - eg Film Noir and Blaxploitation are often referred to as a genre but really they are styles (perhaps a sub-genre?) yet many people collect posters based on the style and will refer to it as a genre.

Many Hollywood movies created their own 'genre' just to suit the fashion style of the day yet they have gone on to be still referred to as a genre years later - some that come to mind would be Disaster movies, Slasher movies, and even The Epic is often used in the same sentence as the word genre.

And to keep the original thread on track, my favourite purchase of 2011 and by no means the most expensive was the German version of The Barfoot Contessa, I am so very very pleased with it.

More so when I compare it to the design of the USA one sheet version, the German is far superior but that's my opinion of course...

David

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #185 on: January 05, 2012, 07:24:12 PM »
Congrats on 2 beautiful girls Ben!  Mine turns 2 in a couple of months and she's going to be a big sister in August, so I know what you mean about the poster budget taking a hit.  But, for once, it is a budget cut that I do not mind at all!
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Bruce

« Reply #186 on: January 05, 2012, 07:43:44 PM »
"Bruce, are your kids into posters by any chance?"

Not really, but I DID make them all movie lovers (by showing them great ones), and that's way more important.

My oldest is 18, and he was a runner, and 5 months ago was 5'10' and 155 pounds of lean muscle. For some reason, he them decided to quit track and become a body builder, and 5 months later he is 200 pounds of bulging muscle and no fat, so I got him the poster from Pumping Iron that shows a closeup of Arnold's arm, and that is hanging in his room!

Bruce

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #187 on: January 05, 2012, 07:49:22 PM »
"Bruce, are your kids into posters by any chance?"

Not really, but I DID make them all movie lovers (by showing them great ones), and that's way more important.

My oldest is 18, and he was a runner, and 5 months ago was 5'10' and 155 pounds of lean muscle. For some reason, he them decided to quit track and become a body builder, and 5 months later he is 200 pounds of bulging muscle and no fat, so I got him the poster from Pumping Iron that shows a closeup of Arnold's arm, and that is hanging in his room!

Bruce

Girls...

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #188 on: January 05, 2012, 11:43:37 PM »
The 'grande' one is Piper, she was acquired in 2008 (just turned 3), and the 'petite' one is Scout, who was acquired September 23, 2011.
She is my best purchase of 2011.

After both major purchases, however, my poster budget has shrunk a bit.

They`re both lovely Ben, congrats!. I have 2 girls too, same ages (3 years, and 1 month) and I can confirm it... NO JOKE. Ah, I love those  ladies...  :-*
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #189 on: January 06, 2012, 01:25:26 AM »
And I take back what I said in the other thread T, ...You have bought some jollyfine pieces this year. :-X

Don't take it back, Paul, you might be onto something.  I added 215 posters from 2011 to my collection last year.  I say "added" because not all were purchased.  I probably got 1/3 for free.

Here are some I actually like by alphabetical order... some OS, some bus shelters...

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2012, 03:25:48 AM »
Don't know if i showed this purchase yet. I think it is the purchase I like the most as I cant remember many of my purchases, probably as I was mostly bottom feeding throughout this year. Well, this one is currently at the linen backers waiting to be backed

6 sheet:

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #191 on: January 06, 2012, 03:36:53 AM »
Here are some I actually like by alphabetical order... some OS, some bus shelters...

T

I like this one T. I also like the P Cruz poster. I was in Spain for 6 months in the early naughties and there were lots of large posters in store displays of her wearing not much (lingerie). Haven't seen them again, wish I somehow got my hands on them. Couldnt speak spanish and my spanish girlfriend at the time I doubted would have lifted a finger to help so didn't ask! Actually I only started collecting 4 years ago so maybe these earlier posters peaked my interest.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:40:31 AM by 50s »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #192 on: January 06, 2012, 10:16:50 AM »
Are you talking about these...  they are all bus stop size.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #193 on: January 06, 2012, 11:34:00 AM »
Much like Paul, is there anything you DON'T have, T!?  :o

Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #194 on: January 06, 2012, 01:27:28 PM »
Well, from what I gather, there are plenty of Bond posters I don't own, mainly because I refuse to feed dealers' families.  And trust me, seeing how many posters I buy, there is an ocean of posters still to be acquired.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #195 on: January 06, 2012, 02:05:35 PM »
Are you talking about these...  they are all bus stop size.

T

Not sure what bus stop size is, but they were large, approx half way between Thierry hates "French Grande" and 4F. They weren't for Mango  I don't think, but she wore just lingerie so those Mango ones make her look like someones mum ;)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #196 on: January 06, 2012, 02:08:57 PM »
Then I must get 'em too.  Will be looking.  Send me pix if you find any.
My Personal Collection

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #197 on: January 06, 2012, 02:21:53 PM »
Then I must get 'em too.  Will be looking.  Send me pix if you find any.

I saw them on the walls of local (spanish) lingerie stores at the time, about 10 years ago, but haven't seen them on the net the times I tried to find them since unfortunately. They were definitely of her as she looked damn similar to my gf at the time & she was already a big name in Spain and just starting to do well in the US. Maybe try looking on spanish websites, rather than US?

Matt

« Reply #198 on: January 06, 2012, 10:07:07 PM »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #199 on: January 06, 2012, 10:21:34 PM »
Jeezum crow, Matt had a good year... wow1