Author Topic: Which countries do you collect most from and why  (Read 45405 times)

guest4955

Re: Which countries do you collect most from and why
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2017, 03:15:55 AM »
So I bought both the Aussie teaser promo 1S for ST13 and the US rolled 1S for ST1:

Both are great IMO...

guest4955

« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2017, 03:55:17 AM »
French posters blow away their competition due to their size and artistry. These examples are pricey but typical quality:

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2017, 08:55:37 AM »
^ A lot of duds there

guest4955

« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2017, 10:17:25 AM »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2017, 11:06:11 AM »
Hey Chris, so we're clear, it was not a criticism on you or other collectors.  It was just my appreciation, or lack of, of the format and its somewhat off beat rendering.

T

No worries Thierry I certainly did not take it that way. 

Of course daybill collectors are seasoned veterans at refined daybill criticism already (it comes with the territory)!

Chris

guest4531

« Reply #80 on: July 18, 2017, 02:11:00 AM »
French posters blow away their competition due to their size and artistry. These examples are pricey but typical quality:

Very nice ones and pricey indeed !!!    Due their size... and without overlapping sheets

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #81 on: July 18, 2017, 08:55:55 AM »
Very nice ones and pricey indeed !!!    Due their size... and without overlapping sheets

I like the 1Ps too, and have a handful. France is not in the top 3 countries that I collect from but I'm always on the lookout for more. The art can be stunning.

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2017, 12:00:36 AM »
No worries Thierry I certainly did not take it that way. 

Of course daybill collectors are seasoned veterans at refined daybill criticism already (it comes with the territory)!

Yes, I collect daybills... er, some  ;)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2017, 06:25:01 PM »
Yes, I collect daybills... er, some  ;)

T

kinda surprised by your transmutation on the DB issue  ;)

Australians mysteriously go ga-ga for them, presumably just bc they're Australian products. But I'm from the US Southeast and disdain NASCAR, Southern accents, Jesus, and mint juleps!

But I do love one DB - Ves snagged it for $850 at the last HA sig. The art is very refined, unlike most DBs:

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2017, 08:09:23 PM »
Mostly (by numbers)  collect Mexican Lobby Cards. Why? Good question  dontknow.gif

Maybe getting titles for movies I'll never get otherwise, plus they are small/convenient

Maybe I subconsciously want to go to Mexico

guest4531

« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2017, 01:21:39 AM »
Mostly (by numbers)  collect Mexican Lobby Cards. Why? Good question  dontknow.gif

Maybe getting titles for movies I'll never get otherwise, plus they are small/convenient

Maybe I subconsciously want to go to Mexico

Go, go, go !!!
I have been there, I just found a few in flea vintage markets and some shops.  I thought there would be plenty and great titles, but only found horrible stuff which is why we like Mexican LC :)

guest4955

« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »
Always disliked former-Commie country posters but quite like this one. One sold for $650 last week at EMP:

The Heavens Call (Goskino, 1959). Russian Poster (25" X 40"). Released in the U.S. as Battle Beyond the Sun.
Two manned rockets find their way to the Moon and Mars in this thoughtful Russian science fiction picture, directed by Mikhail Karyukov and Alexander Kozyr. The innovative special effects of the film caught the eye of producer Roger Corman, who would buy the rights to U.S. distribution. Prior to release, Corman hired a UCLA film school grad by the name of Francis Ford Coppola, and tasked him with taking the special effects scenes from the film and throwing in monsters, music, and English dialogue. Upon completion in 1962, Corman released the "Americanized" version under the title Battle Beyond the Sun. Coppola would use the pseudonym Thomas Colchart for the film. Offered is an original Russian poster from the original version Nebo Zovyot. It features a fantastic image of silhouetted astronauts and a giant rocket against the red planet Mars

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2017, 02:35:00 PM »
The Eastern European posters really have an interesting, different perspective.  Cool, glowing red Mars, and vibe with the astronauts and rocket on that one.  cool1

guest4955

« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2017, 09:33:52 PM »
Score one for Canada. Its RR 1s goes for 2% of the $271K the US-1S and it's pretty close artistically:

guest4955

« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2017, 05:52:40 AM »
Had a pretty decent quad collection:

Dealer At The Movies UK has an excellent IG feed:

https://www.instagram.com/atthemoviesuk/

Better framed, as always:

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2017, 11:04:28 AM »
Those are not cheap to say the least, but the dealer has got quite a collection.  Nice.

https://www.atthemovies.co.uk/

T
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 11:11:14 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #91 on: April 01, 2018, 03:22:15 AM »
Better than wporzo (okay): Both Matt/Harry Caul and I missed out on this trippy/wacky Polish 1S for Far Side of the Sun:

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2018, 04:11:44 PM »
Some extremely nice paper!

My interest in non US posters began by looking through issues of, believe it or not, New Musical Express. They would have a movie review section, along with ads for new British releases. I would always check the movie ads and they would just blow the American ads away. So I actively sought out foreign posters because they were so different and in many cases, so much better. At one time I had and sold many copies of the British 1-sheets to STAR TREK - WRATH OF KHAN, ST - SEARCH FOR SPOCK, RAIDERS, A VIEW TO A KILL, quads to SID AND NANCY, NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET DREAM WARRIORS, and British 40x60's for NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN. My own view is if you collect on any subject, Bond, Clint, John Wayne, anything, if you stick to posters from just one country, you're really limiting yourself since the graphics are so varied from country to country. Why not expand your horizons and dig on the posters from other parts of the world? Example - which is the better poster for CHISUM, the American 1-sheet or the Australian 1-sheet?

I once had a customer who collected Clint Eastwood posters. I was able to get most of the American posters he wanted and I started looking around for other Clint posters I could tempt him with. MCW had an ad with a lot of French 47x63's at very affordable prices. Among them were FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE and THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY. I was able to get several 40x60's for this collector in the past, so I knew large posters should not be a problem. I buy both of them and never having seen them before this, am blown away by the art. No question that the French GOOD, BAD & UGLY is the best poster you can get on this film, and the French FEW DOLLARS MORE isn't far behind it. What Clint collector wouldn't want these? An easy sale! So he stops by one Saturday and I show him the FEW DOLLARS MORE poster. He looks at it and says 'yeah, that is nice. But I'm going to pass on it." I'm taken aback so I ask him " Ok, but I'm curious. What is it about the poster you don't like?" His answer - "It's not in English." I immediately think that's a very narrow minded way to collect. I don't bother showing him the GOOD, BAD, UGLY; I took them both home and kept them for myself.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2018, 03:09:25 PM »
Was there any chance he was trying to limit his collecting circles to just one language?  Was he believing there was a danger of limited space, limited funds, where does it stop?

This is my reason even though I will freely admit some of the European art for (at least) Bond is far superior.  Hence why my main collection is limited to US and UK, but I do have a couple of French pieces on the wall.

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2018, 01:09:40 PM »
I never really got into it further with him. Certainly the fact that it was in French steered him away from it. I don't think it was the size of it.  I think it all comes down to personal preferences. Collecting in just one language is perfectly fine. If you wanted just posters in English, what are the choices - American, British, Australian, Indian, Canadian. So many times the posters in other countries are vastly superior. Let's say you collect Laurel & Hardy. The American choices are limited, unless you have deep pockets, so you look at the various reissues. The German reissues from the mid 60's are among the best posters you can get for them, and the Indian reissue 1-sheets are certainly different. It's all up to the individual collector and what they do and don't like.

For me, it's all about the graphics. I remember when I got a shipment of 20 NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN 1-sheets. I expected a lot, considering that it's a Bond and it's Connery. When I saw what WB was going with it was a huge let down. Instead of a strong action oriented OO7 style poster, we got that giant smirking Connery face. "This is what the 1-sheet is? This?? Ugh!". So as time went on I began to search out NSNA material from other countries and found that since it was basically an independent film, each country was pretty much responsible for it's own advertising. Many countries used the British art (France, Argentina, Australia, etc.) but other countries came up with their own artwork, which in many cases were graphically superior (Sweden, Pakistan, Germany, Japan). If I only collected American or British posters I would never have seen or known about the other styles out there. But, to each his own. I would say to anyone, collect the way you want, for your own reasons and pleasure. The above is just my own reasoning.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2018, 01:18:16 PM »
From my experience, foreign paper is vastly superior to US paper.  I'd take a French or Italian poster over pretty much ANY US poster.  Not even in the same league.  To limit yourself to US paper is a travesty imo.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2018, 02:01:45 PM »
I wouldn't say "travesty" but I get your meaning. From my days as a dealer it always surprised me when I could snag a nice foreign poster for a customer, only to have him say "no thanks, it's not in English". It's a huge road block for some collectors and I could never get my head around why. To me, if the graphics are appealing to me, why should a foreign language stop me from buying it? I recall the first time I saw the Japanese reissue posters for the early Bond's and I knew I just had to acquire them. They're just SO different from any other Bond paper and that makes it interesting and appealing to me. They're use of photomontage just can't be beat. Also check out the images from some of Heritages past Bogart auctions. The Italian posters are amazing.

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2018, 02:12:23 PM »
I'd take a French or Italian poster over pretty much ANY US poster.  Not even in the same league. 

This of course is just begging for examples to show how it's not true.

To limit yourself to US paper is a travesty imo.

This is totally true. in the old days there was a saying - "no matter what you pay for a  foreign poster, it's too much"
So glad this is not the case anymore.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2018, 02:39:50 PM »
Oh, yeah. Especially at poster conventions. American posters ruled, and foreign posters were looked down on as inferior, cheap alternatives to the "better" American posters. I used to display the American and British 1-sheets to STAR TREK: SEARCH FOR SPOCK side by side; the British poster outsold the American poster 5 to 1. Same thing with the American and British LIVING DAYLIGHTS 1-sheets.

One of the main gripes I used to hear about foreign posters was "how do I know if the poster is real? What if it's a fake?" Today we know better.

Offline movieposters

• Hobbyist
« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2018, 04:59:09 PM »
Might be a long time before I own the original US copies, Argentinian posters are generally not my first choice in foreign paper but I liked these ones enough to pickup over the last several years.   

Agree you can't beat the French/Italian versions & certain Japanese posters are amazing with unique images, cool letters, easy to frame.     

Stephen Ryan