Author Topic: Which countries do you collect most from and why  (Read 45348 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Which countries do you collect most from and why
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2017, 01:42:36 PM »
 bump.gif for a topic that never gets old or dated, especially as new members join the poster herd.  :D

Im gonna have to do this, too, as Ive never really broken it down in this way.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 02:44:40 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2017, 12:49:41 AM »
After going thru my posters, I found that, like my heritage, (I'm a "Heinz 57" mix), my collection is also a mix from all over the globe.

US material might be a little ahead, but that hasn't been a conscientious choice. I think that foreign posters, in many cases, leave (and have left) US stuff in the dust, and have for a very long time.

-Jeff

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2017, 08:47:41 PM »
I'm mostly collecting newer US posters right now.
But if money wasn't an option I'd love the have the early US stuff. The artistic talent that went into those posters is amazing. Then foreign posters from the 60's-80's. French, Hungarian, Polish, all awesome. I also lean towards original trilogy Star Wars.
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
--------& Anything obscure, unique, & foreign made (especially Star Wars)
-
This is becoming a way of life...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2017, 01:08:56 PM »
I'm mostly collecting newer US posters right now.
But if money wasn't an option I'd love the have the early US stuff. The artistic talent that went into those posters is amazing. Then foreign posters from the 60's-80's. French, Hungarian, Polish, all awesome. I also lean towards original trilogy Star Wars.

When you say newer, are you meaning posters after the year 2000? Or even more recent than that?

-Jeff

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2017, 10:15:31 PM »
I'm sorry, I didn't translate my subjective opinion very well. I'm going to retract that statement and be more specific....
Posters from the 70's and 80's are "newer" when compared to those from the 40's - 50's. Soooo when I'm using the word "newer", that's where my mind was when I said that. So stupid of me, my apologies. So while I try and save up money for a Veronica Lake, Jimmy Stewart, or Audrey Hepburn poster, I'll in the mean time try and snag up a Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jaws, Rocky, etc., at an affordable price if I can. (hence, "newer").

With some exceptions, I'm not really interested much in posters made past '85. I'm not opposed to posters post '85, I'd just lean towards posters earlier than that. Plus, (and here's a good example I think/hope): I really liked the movie Fargo and really liked the poster; very creative. I was in the bidding to try and snag that, but once it got past $100, I'm like, "I really like this poster, but this $100 could go towards that Empire Strikes Back GWTW style poster I've been trying to save up for. These Fargo posters come up for sale all the time.....". (I therefore ended up bowing out).
So there are some exceptions, but unless I can get a really good deal, I'd rather my money go elsewhere. Plus, I think another factor for enjoying earlier posters over post '85 posters is that I like the idea of knowing that there aren't thousands upon thousands of them still out there. Knowing that I own something like, or could own something like that, is pretty cool.
Favorites?
-Original Trilogy Star Wars    -Audrey Hepburn    -Frank Capra movies    -Foreign movies
-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2017, 10:50:23 PM »
Thanks for the added info, mcfree.

Im also much more prone to collect posters (from a variety of countries) that are older, as well, especially when the artwork may be different, more vivid etc, and this will be for movies Ive never seen before, either. In that respect, the poster has worked for me, in what it was designed to do, as Ive often then gone and watched the film, because of the poster.

I have picked up things, post 1980, too, for those same reasons, but, in general, I also like to find those mustier pieces of paper, of which there arent as many around. It makes the search, hunt and finding more exciting, too.

-Jeff

guest4531

« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2017, 03:36:23 AM »
US 1 sheet (who is not ?)

And any jungle/Africa/exotica/tiki stuff... but then someone came up with same interest than me in a popular auction site and what I used to get cheap isn't anymore.

Offline mcfree

• Hobbyist
« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2017, 09:43:33 PM »
Thanks for the added info, mcfree.

Im also much more prone to collect posters (from a variety of countries) that are older, as well, especially when the artwork may be different, more vivid etc, and this will be for movies Ive never seen before, either. In that respect, the poster has worked for me, in what it was designed to do, as Ive often then gone and watched the film, because of the poster.

I have picked up things, post 1980, too, for those same reasons, but, in general, I also like to find those mustier pieces of paper, of which there arent as many around. It makes the search, hunt and finding more exciting, too.

Exactly. I concur with all that....
Favorites?
-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2017, 10:36:30 PM »
I collect everything from 1940 on.  99% if not more of my poster collection is of movies I have seen.  Very important to me.  If I haven't seen the movie, the poster means nothing to me.  I do not care so much about poster art, more about remembering the movie through its poster.  My collection starts in the 40s, again because I haven't seen many older movies (availability is key) and I do not care for silent movies.

I was looking at my original post in this thread, and I wouldn't change much, except for Belgian posters, which have grown in me.  I would now rank them amongst the best.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest4955

« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2017, 05:39:00 AM »
- France 1P
- Italy 1P
- US 1S
- UK quad
- Japan B1

Prob the best quality overall, practical sizes.....

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2017, 10:34:20 AM »
I mostly collect movie posters from the US (1S, 3S, 6S, a few 1/2S), France (1P and smaller), Italian (1P and 2P), and UK quads.  I have a few Belgian posters as well, but these are few and far between, as I'm not a big fan of their small format and the often derivative graphics.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2017, 11:36:25 AM »
I mostly collect movie posters from the US (1S, 3S, 6S, a few 1/2S), France (1P and smaller), Italian (1P and 2P), and UK quads.  I have a few Belgian posters as well, but these are few and far between, as I'm not a big fan of their small format and the often derivative graphics.

I've often found that the Belgian artwork, especially when it comes to the "spot on" renditions of actors, along with the beautiful, color, (Im referring to vintage material from the late '30s-1950's for the most part) sometimes knocks those of other countries out of the water.

The multiple printed titles on them can make for a "busy-ness" that gets to be a little much, so I view on a case to case basis.

And, again, for me, many of the larger format, pre-war Belgians can truly be a wonder to behold.  bed1

-Jeff

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2017, 01:10:31 PM »
Have most of the major paper producing countries by at least 1 poster. But preference in order would be

US one sheets and bus shelters - dont buy thick stock for the most part (30x40,half,insert), nor multi piece posters.
INTL one sheets AU,UK mainly/quads/japanese B1's & B2's
Italian/French 39x55 and 47x63 mainly
photbustas - think you tend to get good value on these
daybills - dont do much with these anymore
lobbies here and there, can take them or leave them only buy cheap stuff
All others next, only buy when the art is different from the countries listed above or dirt cheap :)

guest4955

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2017, 11:14:46 AM »
GOOD NEWS:

My French and Italian 1P frames are in transition.

BAD NEWS:

I had forgotten that 2/3 of Italian 1P posters are 100% UTTERLY vile AND nasty AND despicable.

Just one example and it's not EVEN CLOSE to being the worst:

http://auctions.emovieposter.com/Bidding.taf?_function=detail&Auction_uid1=4702440

WTF is up with sicko Italian poster designers?

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2017, 01:13:00 PM »
The only ones that I dislike are daybills.  I like some Aussie OS, when the work is done properly, but I really don't understand the appeal some collectors have for actors they cannot possibly recognize.  They do sell, though, so who knows.  To each his own, I guess.  I'm sure some collectors hate French and Italian posters.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2017, 12:08:49 AM »

I had forgotten that 2/3 of Italian 1P posters are 100% UTTERLY vile AND nasty AND despicable.

[/quote]
Yep, that is exaclty what I noticed when I joined apf

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8544.25.html

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2017, 12:48:26 AM »
^ Love it. Let me know if you find another copy

guest4955

« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2017, 03:27:10 AM »
The only ones that I dislike are daybills.  I like some Aussie OS, when the work is done properly, but I really don't understand the appeal some collectors have for actors they cannot possibly recognize.  They do sell, though, so who knows.  To each his own, I guess.  I'm sure some collectors hate French and Italian posters.

T

T, I will simultaneously "suck up to you" and antagonize/respectfully disagree with you yet again.

"The only ones that I dislike are daybills."

Add former Communist countries to yer list. They are 98% freaky weird/2% awesome. I would post some examples but they perturb me too much.

"I like some Aussie OS, when the work is done properly....."

Agree but really lamo u don't post examples.

OT I'll forgive you bc French Prez Macron is INSANELY AWESOME/COOL and most importantly speaks PERFECT ENGLISH (did u know he gave a killer presentation to the Olympic Committee in IMPECCABLE ENGLISH?). 

OT2 I'm sure you used your French accent to win over abusedwife.

OT3 Whatever happened to abusedwife? Kinda weird she posted when this forum was founded in the Stone Age but hasn't posted since, especially since her French hubby has abused her by buying a gazillion MPs and spent a Google $$$$ on MPs.

OT4 [deleted by APF admin to get this thread back on track]

I shall begin - as I do 90% of the time - by posting an (Aussie) MP with an insanely hot femme (Basinger at her peak imitating Veronica Lake):

I'll pretend I'm interested in MPs sans crazy-beautiful women by nerdishly posting this light-speed-cool ESB Aussie 1S:

I'll add more unexpected Aussie goodness (including dorkbills):

I've totally lost track of what-the-hell I'm posting about so will take a few minutes to regroup...

Oh yeah, I was responding to French Fry's sage but imageless post.

"I really don't understand the appeal some collectors have for actors they cannot possibly recognize."

I really don't follow u but I assume you're insulting non-hyper-elite-25 star collectors such as yourself.

"They do sell, though, so who knows."

Again, I have no clue what yer saying so will post the following (Peter Sellers awesomely imitating a clueless Frenchie):

"I'm sure some collectors hate French and Italian posters."

Comprende, Poster Nerd King. I think we can agree that such maroons....

I wanted to add 534 examples of phat I/F MPs but vaguely realize this post is infinitely too long so will hold off for another day....

guest4955

« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2017, 04:16:47 AM »
^ Love it. Let me know if you find another copy

It's so "Captain Obvious" you would post such drivel.

I suppose you're SORTA-OK bc u can dance Salsa and don't collect/worship atrocious Dorkbills unlike most Aussie collectors.

guest4955

« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2017, 04:26:12 AM »

Yep, that is exaclty what I noticed when I joined apf

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8544.25.html

I'm afraid to click there. Pls summarize in a text-only memo.

OT Have zero clue who that is but I didn't want to post a tired Office Space meme.

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2017, 10:01:20 AM »
It's so "Captain Obvious" you would post such drivel.

I suppose you're SORTA-OK bc u can dance Salsa and don't collect/worship atrocious Dorkbills unlike most Aussie collectors.

I only have around 80 daybills

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2017, 05:18:55 PM »

T

Don't worry Thierry daybills don't like you either ;)
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »
Don't worry Thierry daybills don't like you either ;)

Hey Chris, so we're clear, it was not a criticism on you or other collectors.  It was just my appreciation, or lack of, of the format and its somewhat off beat rendering.

T
My Personal Collection

guest4531

« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2017, 02:14:54 AM »
I fail to understand the all abusedwife OT and other OTs ???     If there are sarcastic jokes to stress the lack of pictures in some posts, it's a miss !!   While I enjoyed the pictures, I think the author of post should stick to pictures without textual jokes to avoid embarrassment.

https://youtu.be/xqX0Z4NeT9o?t=43s

guest4955

« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2017, 03:00:09 AM »
I fail to understand the all abusedwife OT and other OTs ???     If there are sarcastic jokes to stress the lack of pictures in some posts, it's a miss !!   While I enjoyed the pictures, I think the author of post should stick to pictures without textual jokes to avoid embarrassment.

https://youtu.be/xqX0Z4NeT9o?t=43s

Agreed, trying way too hard to be funny but just being obnoxious. Will do better in future...