Author Topic: Thierry hates "French Grande" Hollywood Poster Frames  (Read 27339 times)

scartacus

Thierry hates "French Grande" Hollywood Poster Frames
« on: January 28, 2010, 03:35:58 PM »
Has anyone ever had a Thierry hates "French Grande" framed by Hollywood Poster Frames? I sent a French poster to a friend in LA -- he loves the poster and I've instructed him to contact Hollywood Poster Frames to get it framed -- but now I'm thinking -- how much is this going to set him back?

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Thierry hates "French Grande" Hollywood Poster Frames
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 03:46:11 PM »
I know Sue makes them that large, but it would be pick-up only.  Her normal aluminum frames would probably require some sort of cross support at that size... maybe tension wires?  If I had to guess I would say $200-$300 for the non-glare/UV plexi?  Maybe less though... best to send her an email. 

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 03:52:36 PM »
correct pick up only, but they don't need any extra support.. except stronger wall hooks

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

wonka

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 03:58:10 PM »
(waiting for Thierry to chime in with his "grande" dissertation)  :)

scartacus

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 05:02:07 PM »
Just got word from my guy in LA -- $350. Might check out Mel's $165 Spotlight special.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 05:22:43 PM »
(waiting for Thierry to chime in with his "grande" dissertation)  :)

I will not chime in any thread that uses the word "Grande" to describe large French movie posters.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

guest8

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 05:23:50 PM »
It may be cheaper for spotlight.. but Sues frames are more towards conservation .. and spotlight uses styrene plastic instead of uvplexi .. So depending on the piece the extra $ may be worth it.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 05:45:01 PM »
True, the plexi itself is probably $150, then another $50+ for the artcare backing.  Factor in time and other materials and $350 doesn't seem too bad if you want to go the conservation route.

So Eatbrie... do you have a problem with the spelling (grand) or something else?   

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 06:08:41 PM »
T hates that word Grande! It's a French thing. I on the other hand never get sick of the women using that term in reference to me.  :P

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 06:50:47 PM »
T hates that word Grande! It's a French thing. I on the other hand never get sick of the women using that term in reference to me.  :P

I was actually answering Ben's sarcasm (who seems on a roll lately) with another one of my own.  I actually do not know anything about framing large French posters, since I do not display mine (aside from a single poster in a box my father-in-law built).

My problem with the word "Grande" is that it doesn't refer to anything.  It is just a French adjective that means "large".  I don't know who adopted it, and why, but it is lame.  Unlike the quad, the locandina, the one sheet, the daybill, and others, that refer specifically to one type of poster, the "Grande" doesn't.  Go to any store and ask for a "large" and people will answer: "A large what?"  If anything, it should be called "affiche", or "grande affiche."  The smaller ones are called "petite affiche" or "affichette".  The medium ones (which ceased to exist in the 70s) are called "affiche moyenne."

T.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 10:40:41 PM »
T hates that word Grande! It's a French thing. I on the other hand never get sick of the women using that term in reference to me.  :P

;D
Chris

scartacus

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 08:50:11 AM »
As someone who sells UV non glare plexi, I am well aware of the downsides of styrene/cheaper framing mouldings. Fortunately my LA mate loves his poster enough and is going to bite the bullet on the $350 archival frame.   

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 11:12:11 AM »
Can I ask which poster it is?

scartacus

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 01:13:02 PM »
It's not a high end poster, so the cost of frame vs cost of poster is pretty high. But as the Proposition just happens to be his favourite movie of all time, he's prepared to invest in the right frame to display it in his office.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 02:16:05 PM »
That is a great poster for a great movie... it will look fantastic at that size!

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 03:55:25 AM »
I was actually answering Ben's sarcasm (who seems on a roll lately) with another one of my own.  I actually do not know anything about framing large French posters, since I do not display mine (aside from a single poster in a box my father-in-law built).

My problem with the word "Grande" is that it doesn't refer to anything.  It is just a French adjective that means "large".  I don't know who adopted it, and why, but it is lame.  Unlike the quad, the locandina, the one sheet, the daybill, and others, that refer specifically to one type of poster, the "Grande" doesn't.  Go to any store and ask for a "large" and people will answer: "A large what?"  If anything, it should be called "affiche", or "grande affiche."  The smaller ones are called "petite affiche" or "affichette".  The medium ones (which ceased to exist in the 70s) are called "affiche moyenne."

T.

Surely if I go into a French shop and I ask for a "Thierry hates "French Grande"" I'll get a poster

Offline quadbod

• Hobbyist
    • Quadbod media memorabilia
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2010, 04:02:28 AM »
Surely if I go into a French shop and I ask for a "Thierry hates "French Grande"" I'll get a poster

... only if it's a poster shop!  Try it in a greengrocer's and you may get a surprise!

Terry
Quadbod media memorabilia - http://www.quadbod.co.uk

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2010, 10:16:32 AM »
Latest plastic/plexiglass (or whatever) sheets I received from Spotlight have a matte finish on one side and non-matte on the other, so you can choose between glare or non-glare. Great solution IMHO

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2010, 12:21:11 PM »

Do me a favor, try it, and don't forget your camera to take a picture of the seller as you say it.  Then report to us.  Just for a LAUGH.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Mondo Hazardo

• Collector
    • MOVIE★INK. AMSTERDAM
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2010, 03:18:07 PM »
Do me a favor, try it, and don't forget your camera to take a picture of the seller as you say it.  Then report to us.  Just for a LAUGH.

T

Sorry, I don't see the problem. Done it lots of times. Maybe you pronounced it wrong. You have to say "French Gran-D" a bit like John Wayne in The Greatest Story Ever Told.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
It may be cheaper for spotlight.. but Sues frames are more towards conservation .. and spotlight uses styrene plastic instead of uv plexi .. So depending on the piece the extra $ may be worth it.

Robert, is this still what you use in your frames?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:39:42 AM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
Re: "Thierry hates "Thierry hates \
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 04:59:43 PM »
Robert, is this still what you use in your frames?

Hey Jeff, not sure where Fallenangle came up with Styrene but Styrene has never been in my frames! The overlays are made of PETG and are Acid Free and UV Protective. If you go on my site you can see a video of me demonstrating and proving that the overlays I use are UV Protective.

I've been selling these frames going on 17 years and never have had anyone complain about issues with their posters. I've had my own posters in these frames for over a decade with no issues.

And I'm pretty sure Fallenangel has bought frames from me in the last year or so lol.

Thanks Jeff!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 05:02:09 PM by USMCSS »
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry
www.SpotlightDisplays.com

Offline CJ138

• Collector
Re: Thierry hates \
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2017, 08:20:23 PM »
I have a 47x63 and 60x23 from Robert and am very happy with them.
Best regards,
Cj
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
I have a 47x63 and 60x23 from Robert and am very happy with them.
Best regards,
Cj

Nice to hear from you CJ and thank you!!!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 01:57:31 PM by erik1925 »
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry
www.SpotlightDisplays.com

Offline Baleizao

• Beginner
Re: Thierry hates \
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2017, 12:18:23 PM »
Hi Robert,

Are you still giving APF members a discount on your frames?