Author Topic: Where's a good place to buy quality tubes cheap?  (Read 8725 times)

Juli

Where's a good place to buy quality tubes cheap?
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:16:22 PM »
Since no one wants to accept my posters a thank you gift for donating money to me, I am thinking of listing my posters on eBay but I need some poster tubes as I am completely out. I have never had to purchase any as I obtained the tubes I've used from posters I've purchased. Where is a good place (I prefer to buy them in person so I don't have to wait for them in the mail and pay extra for shipping them) to buy quality poster tubes?

Also I am looking to buy some of those poster sleeve thingys that you place the rolled poster into to protect it.

I think I need about 20-25 tubes and sleeves.

I also have a few folded posters. I think I just need to get some cardboard big enough to protect them and I already have plastic sleeves that will fit a folded poster. I also think I have envelopes that are big enough as well, but I have t double check to make sure they fit.

Thanks for any advice.

~ Juli

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
Re: Where's a good place to buy quality tubes cheap?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 10:48:03 PM »
Ok i am trying to close a deal with a poster from someone in California who is looking to send a poster flat when it could be shipped rolled.  Dude doesn't know where to get 6 or 8 inch tubes locally.  Jeff?  T? Bueller...Bueller?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 11:03:02 PM »
California is almost twice the size of the UK.  You need to be a little more precise about locally.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 08:02:54 AM »
 ;D

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 12:04:00 PM »
California is almost twice the size of the UK.  You need to be a little more precise about locally.

T

Ok its San Bernardino area.  Anywhere other than Staples?  They need to be at least 6 inches in diameter. 

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 01:16:34 PM »
There is a lot to be said for PVC pipe from Lowes or Home Depot.  Not the cheapest, but it is very rugged.  A good choice for valuable oversized stuff.
-Jay-

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 01:37:28 PM »
20-25 , yazoomills, going to be tough to find a decent tube from a local place, they tend to be not very good for mailing regardless of what the place will tell you. Most dont make it in 1 piece through the postal system.

Agreed PVC is the route to go on something that big, just use a heavy duty strapping tape or duct tape when sealing the end or the ends will pop off. There is some flex to the pvc, probably 25% of the stuff i get shipped in it has an end missing.

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 08:14:10 PM »
I have bought tubes from a place, in Venice, called Boxes Unlimited. I went there to look at the tubes in person before buying and they were very rugged. I used them to mail rolled posters across the country and they arrived without a dent or a scratch.

Vick, what size poster is this you are getting that it requires a 6-8" (im assuming) diameter tube? Or has it been backed?

-Jeff

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 02:31:43 PM »
Thanks for the input all.  The seller wasn't able to find anything locally (not even the UPS Store) so he bought a 5 inch one off ebay for 10.95.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Jumbo-Mailing-Tube-5-X-36-Brown-BP5036KHD-/351911172447?hash=item51ef8a595f:g:odEAAOSwXeJYMvSi

Poster was indeed on older linen, Jeff.  Now that I have it, I guess it didnt need to be so loosely rolled in the end.  A 3-inch tube would have been ok, but I couldn't see the poster at the time hence my insisting on the bigger diameter.  He wanted to send it flat between cardboard, which at this time of year would be too risky what with the shitty weather and all.  In the end, he put the tube in another box stuffed with those little styrofoamturds.  Now that is protection!   I'll post the image in the "best of" thread.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 04:37:50 PM »
Glad it arrived safe n sound to you, Vick.  thumbsup.gif

With parcels a-flyin' this time of year, and gthe rush to get them delivered, I would bet the man handling and abuse is even worse. We got a couple (non poster) parcels that were ordered gifts thru Amazon.

One would think King Kong had tossed a few of them around with the severe damage the shopping boxes received, by the time we got them.  moron1

-Jeff