Author Topic: Berwick Discovery: The Biggest find of early movie posters in recent history  (Read 285982 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Ok, so I'm definitely missing something regarding the pictures....

When I click the enlarged picture link, it brings me to a little window where I can zoom in and pan around, but not where I can get a full size blown up picture like you pasted in here.

turn off pan & zoom & you get a large photo

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
elsewhere...

There's that elusive location again.  I tried to find it on Google earth and I ended up in the Pacific Ocean!  

;)
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
There's that elusive location again.  I tried to find it on Google earth and I ended up in the Pacific Ocean!  

;)

If you don't have issues with some water staining, you'll be fine
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
If you don't have issues with some water staining, you'll be fine

Probably need a salvage license and a harpoon gun to defend myself from Matt as well...
Chris

• Post-aholic
concerning the comment abut "dipped in paint" on the Dracula poster, I have it on good authority that this was absolutely positively not done as the poster did not need much restoration and cleaned up very well once it was washed & mounted. The other comment on the bottom border affecting the bid price is just foolishness. It is a blank border with minimal writing.. Anyone interested in spending $143k or more on such a poster is not concerned with this small piece of paper.

that said, whomever bought the poster got a superior bargain price that is not likely to happen again even if another copy of this copy came up for sale tomorrow, unless it's being sold by Kerry Haggard

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Dread_Pirate_Mel

I think we can all agree that the Heritage employees need to participate on these boards. "Silence breeds alienation." Also, Heritage comes off as very "corporate" and impersonal, which exposes them to trash-talking.

• Post-aholic
I think we can all agree that the Heritage employees need to participate on these boards. "Silence breeds alienation." Also, Heritage comes off as very "corporate" and impersonal, which exposes them to trash-talking.

Mel.. I doubt Grey could make that much time. Bruce is here alot because he has 25 employees.
I'm here alot because work bores me and I have to take a break.
you people are all here alot because you have nothing else to do (or like me, you need to take a break)

alot of what gets said, hypothesized, claimed and otherwise is just gossip like a bunch of Old Ladies sitting around in a sewing circle. The facts on alot of this stuff is easily found without speculating incorrectly. Whether people choose to do research beforehand is a personal choice. Whether Grey or Bruce Carteron needs to participate is a matter of opinion, but such choice is left up to them.

-------

• Post-aholic
Chris.. I knew the statement regarding reserve prices was clearly placed on the Heritage website and just happened to notice it when looking at stuff to bid on.
it's at the bottom of each auction listing page as noted in this screen capture

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:27:08 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Or maybe the restored bottom border came into play.

That would have been a hell of an expensive one inch wide strip of fill paper, had that been the case.   qip

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:22:51 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Bruce

Perhaps I need to be updated on something. In the past, it was clearly in their terms of sales that the auction house and/or the consignors were allowed to bid on their own items. That is why I stated that a "house bidder" could have been the high bidder.

If their terms of sale have changed, then absolutely there is no way the high bidder could have been the house or the consignor. Have they changed? Perhaps one of the lawyers here (well versed in reading fine print) could examine them and report back.

Bruce

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
I think the market has to be pretty deep to be able to absorb two examples of a $300k posters within a few years, I didn't find is very surprising that it ended up where it did.

It was nice to see that the Disney stuff seems to have finally found its level and is selling within estimates again.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
DeLuca showing what he bought on FB, "Public Enemy", "Little Caesar", "My Man Godfrey".

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Which PE?  Book cover or the Cagney one?

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
Which PE?  Book cover or the Cagney one?

Book cover

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Charlie

Well made the trip up to Heritage.  I have to say I these guys are pros at what they do.  My first task was to arrive early and inspect the Dial M for Murder insert my main target. I had the catalog, a print out, and the poster on a table in front of me.  None of them matched.  The poster's color was superb, better than the cat or the computer.  However both images poorly showed the piece of Scotch tape on one of the folds that was described nor the bleed through of a wax pencil described as smudges. After inspecting it in person and some discussion with my wife we decided to pass.

I would say that the guy helping was very friendly and polite and seemed to be in no hurry and wanted me to take my time all this an hour before the live auction.  He asked if I was interested in anything else and I had two other Saturday targets and he gladly fetched thzm for viewing.  Much to my surprise these were actually in much better condition than described. I will be bidding on both.  We then went down for the live part to watch the Berwicks I met grey, very nice yet very professional and wished me luck.  The Cimarron was a hot one with a room bidder as the underbidder. I loved how he held his number up until 90k, never putting it down when it started off at 30k... I tried to talk my wife into grabbing a low end Berwick but she didn't bite... I slammed the rest of my red bull and we left... I think the only way to buy $500+ posters is to go see them in person it made all the difference.  I would have been pissed to drop that money on the dial m and then open it up...  That's all for now, I hate typing on the kindle as I am in a hotel...

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
DeLuca showing what he bought on FB, "Public Enemy", "Little Caesar", "My Man Godfrey".

The MY MAN GODFREY piece is a beauty, too!  clap

-Jeff

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder

This is one of the things i dislike about FB...oohh your`e so cool,ooh wish it was me....I like..I like too...
I`m drooling...get a hanky dudes....

Stew

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Well made the trip up to Heritage.  I have to say I these guys are pros at what they do.

That is very cool Charlie.

Good to know that they are indeed pros.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Chris.. I knew the statement regarding reserve prices was clearly placed on the Heritage website and just happened to notice it when looking at stuff to bid on.
it's at the bottom of each auction listing page as noted in this screen capture

Don't really know if I accept that as "clearly placed" but fair enough.  The statement still does not say anything about reserves though...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic

:o
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Here are the final prices realized (inc. the BP), for the Berwick Find from Friday's HA auction (presented in alphabetical order):

-Jeff

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
It rally surprised that Maltese Falcon sold for so little...

• Post-aholic
It rally surprised that Maltese Falcon sold for so little...

I considered bidding on it as it was selling at that level. Ultimately, it came down to the fact that I'm not a Dashiell Hammett collector. But it did sell incredibly cheap and the new owner will be very happy

-------