Author Topic: Berwick Discovery: The Biggest find of early movie posters in recent history  (Read 285888 times)

agentprovocateur

You can load up the live feed whether you are bidding or not. Beware of the big red button though... so pretty, so tempting...

Haha Mrs AP was getting nervous reading this! Thanks for letting us know about the disable live bidding button enki ;D

Does the price for the Dracula stem from the 'dipped in paint' effect of all the restoration?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
One of the real surprises was CIMARRON. It had an estimate of $12-18K and sold for 85,000.00 (101,575.00 with thr BP).   :o

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

The high Cimmaron price largely makes up the low price for the Drac. Maybe they overpromoted Public Enemy and underplayed Drac....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:35:28 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline enki

• Collector
Thanks for letting us know about the disable live bidding button enki ;D

Np, it's the first thing I did after loading the page.

As Harry said, the two big red BID buttons were too scary for me.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
One of the real surprises was CIMARRON. It had an estimate of $12-18K and sold for 85,000.00 (101,575.00 with thr BP).   :o

Somebody is doing well today.

Offline enki

• Collector
It's too bad that you can't see a video of the audience. I wonder how many people are there, etc.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
The high Cimmaron price largely makes up the low price for the Drac. Maybe they overpromoted Public Enemy and underplayed Drac....

I agree looking at the Cimmaron that it will all add up very well for them.

Wonder if selling them all in the same auction spread the cash out more?

Bruce

A lot of times when the auctioneer begs and begs for another bid it is because a house bidder is the high bidder and they want it to sell elsewhere.

That may not be the case at all here, but with secret bidders there is no way of ever knowing, unless someone reveals who bought it.

Bruce

Der Januskopf

Haha Mrs AP was getting nervous reading this! Thanks for letting us know about the disable live bidding button enki ;D

Does the price for the Dracula stem from the 'dipped in paint' effect of all the restoration?

Or maybe the restored bottom border came into play.

Bruce

Personally, I think that they did incredibly well overall, given the amount of restoration and the fact that many were from lesser titles.

Congratulations to Heritage!

Bruce

Der Januskopf

The fact that the entire collection was purchased for about 30K, means that the sale of Little Caesar alone made the owner his money back. Everything else is pure profit (aside from things like restoration costs).  thumbup

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:53:50 PM by Der Januskopf »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
A lot of times when the auctioneer begs and begs for another bid it is because a house bidder is the high bidder and they want it to sell elsewhere.

That may not be the case at all here, but with secret bidders there is no way of ever knowing, unless someone reveals who bought it.

Bruce

To me, he looked more confused and maybe a bit surprised that he wasnt getting that next bid than anything else.

Der Januskopf

Personally, I think that they did incredibly well overall, given the amount of restoration and the fact that many were from lesser titles.

Congratulations to Heritage!

Bruce

What was the amount of restoration on the majority of these?

A week or so ago, a MOPO member posted a comment, in which he stated that he felt posters of this price range and rarity should all have been pictured in the catalog, in both their pre- and post- restorative states.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic

We suspected the estimate on Cimarron was far too low to begin with.
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
The entire Berwick Find realised a total sale of over $503,000.00.

Not bad for an initial $30K investment!!

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database

That didn't surprise me quite as much.
Sometimes when the Academy needs a title they go all out.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
That didn't surprise me quite as much.
Sometimes when the Academy needs a title they go all out.

True.  And someone else wanted it almost as badly as The Academy, to drive it that high.

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
As for Dracula I suspect it is a combination of the economy, the fact the bottom border was replaced and more importantly the fact it is not as unique as it used to be for this style.

And Bruce may be right that the Dracula topped out at the "house bid" despite what Grey says?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 03:04:29 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
The entire Berwick Find realised a total sale of over $503,000.00.

Not bad for an initial $30K investment!!

Now that is a great day at the office.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Now that is a great day at the office.

There is certainly going to be a ridiculous profit here but the seller fees, Heritage commission, restoration etc all needs to be taken off.
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
There is certainly going to be a ridiculous profit here but the seller fees, Heritage commission, restoration etc all needs to be taken off.

Chris, HA charges a seller fee, in addition to their commission?

-Jeff

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
As for Dracula I suspect it is a combination of the economy, the fact the bottom border was replaced and more importantly the fact it is not as unique as it used to be for this style.

Yeah, all those things put me down a bit, so my bid was little  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline enki

• Collector
Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by "house bid"?

Heritage bids on it's own auctions? Or do you mean an employee?

Either way, isn't that a HUUUUUUUUUUGE conflict of interest?

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by "house bid"?
Heritage bids on it's own auctions? Or do you mean an employee?
Either way, isn't that a HUUUUUUUUUUGE conflict of interest?

I think their terms and conditions permit it, right?
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline enki

• Collector
Chris, HA charges a seller fee, in addition to their commission?

Yeah, I believe it's 15% (in addition to the 19.5% BP).

I actually did a long calculation in another thread a couple days ago comparing the cost to the seller at HA vs EMP in regards to BP and seller fees. Assuming the hammer price is the same (including BP), EMP wins every time.