Author Topic: Berwick Discovery: The Biggest find of early movie posters in recent history  (Read 285904 times)

Offline greysm

• Hobbyist
    • Director of US Poster Auctions
Simply, a misquote or mistake in the reporting.
That never happens does it?!

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
Never at Fox News anyway.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

agentprovocateur

Has anyone ordered both catalogues for this auction from the HA website? I just tried but got confused with the costs... I selected it and the total shown was $25 + $25 for the catalogue (not sure if both signature and Berwick catalogues are included in this) + $25 P&P making a total of $75. Am I doing something wrong or is that the price?

Juli

Has anyone ordered both catalogues for this auction from the HA website? I just tried but got confused with the costs...

WOW! They charge for the catalog? I never knew that.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
I have never paid for a catalog & got them even before I ever bid on anything, although that could be because until I stopped exhibiting at SDCC, Heritage had their booths across from my own for 3 or so years, but I'm sure nice people who ask Grey will get happy packages in the mail.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Has anyone ordered both catalogues for this auction from the HA website? I just tried but got confused with the costs... I selected it and the total shown was $25 + $25 for the catalogue (not sure if both signature and Berwick catalogues are included in this) + $25 P&P making a total of $75. Am I doing something wrong or is that the price?

If that's true, this is ludicrous...

Spend $50,000 on these posters but pay $25+ for the catalogue first  eyeroll
Chris

Der Januskopf

Never at Fox News anyway.

It was an AP story.Fox and many other online news outlets have carried this same article.  ;)

agentprovocateur

I have no issue paying for the catalogues (I'm sure they're great quality)... I'm registered on HA but haven't won a poster yet. I was just confused with the $25 + $25 for the catalogue (unless that's for both of them, but it's not mentioned... why not just say $50?) and then $25 shipping (but if they're heavy can understand that too). Just wondered if anyone had bought them from the site and could confirm I haven't done something wrong!?

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Thanks for those links, Chris.
I'm surprised Grey didn't post these videos here already... mesmrized

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Damn - I'm out of the game before it even got started - would have made a cool "conversation piece" - good news is that I won't be broke for the foreseeable future....

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
the buyer of the collection is already well in the black
bids on this material is North of $260,000 as of this moment

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Most of them are in their estimate range.  Dracula is struggling right now but that likely will change.  Cimarron is the star so far, almost double its top estimate before live bidding begins. Public Enemy Style A seems to be stuck at its bottom estimate, perhaps because of the heavy restoration....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 07:12:45 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Der Januskopf

The Dracula poster alone put the buyer into the black, the moment it was discovered and peeled off of the stack, (and in that condition), last Fall.  clap

Everything else from the Berwick Find is like added icing on the cake. The buyer took a chance and won. I can only imagine what he /she is feeling at this very moment, with about an hour to go before bidding begins!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
The Dracula poster alone put the buyer into the black, the moment it was discovered and peeled off of the stack, (and in that condition), last Fall.  clap

Everything else from the Berwick Find is like added icing on the cake. The buyer took a chance and won. I can only imagine what he /she is feeling at this very moment, with about an hour to go before bidding begins!

DRACULA currently stands at $110,000.00 (with the added 19.5% BP, it would bring it to $131,450.00 if it sold right now). Will this current copy get close (or surpass) the previous auction sale price of $310,000.00? (this final number includes the 19.5% BP, as well).

If one looks at just the hammer price of the previous copy sold (before the BP was added), it went for about $259,500.00.

It will be fascinating to see how this most recent copy fares!

-Jeff

agentprovocateur

Is there a live video feed of the auction anywhere? I just read about Heritage live but that looks like it's just for real people who have money and want to bid... not cheapskate popcorn munching voyeurs like me! pcorn

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Is there a live video feed of the auction anywhere? I just read about Heritage live but that looks like it's just for real people who have money and want to bid... not cheapskate popcorn munching voyeurs like me! pcorn

You can load up the live feed whether you are bidding or not. Beware of the big red button though... so pretty, so tempting...

Offline enki

• Collector
Yeah, good thing they have a DISABLE LIVE BIDDING button  ;D

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
well surprised what the Drac hammered at.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
DRACULA just went for only $120,000.00. ($143,400.00 with the BP)

Quite a difference from the previous copy sold.

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
well surprised what the Drac hammered at.

same here.

Disabling that red button is a great idea btw.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
DRACULA just went for only $120,000.00. ($143,400.00 with the BP)

Quite a difference from the previous copy sold.

My first thought was wow that went cheap ...My next thought was that 143 k is a lot of money for a movie poster.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
My first thought was wow that went cheap ...My next thought was that 143 k is a lot of money for a movie poster.

Agree--just talking in comparison to the 310K.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Agree--just talking in comparison to the 310K.  ;)

I know. That was my initial wow. The auctioneer made that one last longer then he has the rest. 130? 130 ? 130?

The other posters arent doing so bad...41, 55, 59, 101 .....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:30:56 PM by Zorba »

Offline enki

• Collector
It seemed like the auctioneer didn't want to drop the hammer on the Dracula auction. He kept asking and asking and asking.
"At 120, need 130....130....only 120,000 right now, need 130,000....please......someone, anyone, 130,000.....just 130.....anyone?...........ok, so we're at 120 need 130....."
hahah. I guess he thought it would go higher too.