Author Topic: Berwick Discovery: The Biggest find of early movie posters in recent history  (Read 285849 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Chris... it is an open forum for all to answer.. if you want answers from Grey Smith, why don't you email him directly, rather than try to embarrass Heritage in public?? Posts to a public forum get answered by anyone end everyone wishing to comment

:P

Agreed Rich.

But I, and anyone else, can ask Grey (or is it Gray as per the news article?) questions here as he has posted comments here.

Others seemed to have the same questions I did - hence the public inquiry...

You can post any comments/rebuttals you wish (just as others can) but from there anyone else can rebut/question your comments.

How's that for double-speak at its finest!  ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:53:04 AM by CSM »
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
it doesn't matter how many exist even.. How many can you buy if you can pay the ticket?
the answer: just the one Heritage is auctioning

But I can buy it online can't I?  Or do I need to show up in Dallas in person with my funky Canadian dollars?

Want to go halfsies (or is it halvsies)?  ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:52:36 AM by CSM »
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
it doesn't matter how many exist even.. How many can you buy if you can pay the ticket?
the answer: just the one Heritage is auctioning

And that still doesn't mean condition is unimportant just because only 1 is currently for sale...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:56:11 AM by CSM »
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Want to go halfsies (or is it halvsies)?  ;)

no.. I want it all to myself

uhno

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
Agreed Rich.

But I, and anyone else, can ask Grey (or is it Gray as per the news article?) questions here as he has posted comments here.

Others seemed to have the same questions I did - hence the public inquiry...

You can post any comments/rebuttals you wish (just as others can) but from there anyone else can rebut/question your comments.

How's that for double-speak at its finest!  ;)

I wasn't the one asking why you were answering

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
no.. I want it all to myself

uhno

Figures.  But it IS a Chandler though  >:(
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
from now on I will decide who asks and who answers, OK?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic

Hey this isn't NS4 your lordship  ;)
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
FARK, wrong sandpit.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
FARK, wrong sandpit.

Can I keep your shovel though?  Rich has piled up a lot of shit in here... ;)
Chris

• Post-aholic
Rich has piled up a lot of shit in here... ;)

your comment is a total crock of shit..

-------

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
your comment is a total crock of shit..

How much shit can a crock fit exactly Rich?
Chris

• Post-aholic
How much shit can a crock fit exactly Rich?

it's your crock, it should be easy to measure. You can maybe look at the packaging

-------

• Post-aholic
and I forgot this:

:P

-------

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Time to move on.  This shit stinks...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Rich, how many of this style Dracula are extant?  5 or something?

Are you asserting that they are ALL worth the exact same regardless of their actual relative conditions just because only 5 exist?

We go back again that this is an auction.  The 'value' of the other 2-3 copies is irrelevant.  They are not for sale, and it will likely be some time before they are again for sale.  Thus the 'value' is what 2 premiere collectors who want an extremely rare iconic poster are willing to pay.  The poster has been restored and displays well.  It will go for a surprisingly high price because somebody simply has to have this as the crown to their collection.
-Jay-

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
Viva la revolution!!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!

laugh1

Viva la revolution!!

laugh1

Meet the new boss...

Seriously now... If this is no longer an open forum, someone does indeed need to post a list of topics that are allowed to be discussed ...and also if any of those topics has a disagreement involved which side of the arguement we are allowed to be on.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Seriously now... If this is no longer an open forum, someone does indeed need to post a list of topics that are allowed to be discussed ...and also if any of those topics has a disagreement involved which side of the arguement we are allowed to be on.

I suggest we limit our discussions to cool posters and hot chicks.  wynk

Bruce

Zorba

You can post anything you want, as long as you agree with those who shout the loudest, and as long as you don't mind being flamed when you accidentally disagree.

Bruce

Offline paul waines

• Curator

That sounds like my kind of forum... :D

Double Talk Chris....?? I have no idea what your talking about, I have no idea what your talking about...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!

cheers

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic

Double Talk Chris....?? I have no idea what your talking about, I have no idea what your talking about...

hitself

Mission accomplished
Chris

Offline greysm

• Hobbyist
    • Director of US Poster Auctions
   Chris, the reserve being one half of the LOW estimate has been a Heritage policy or "operation" for a number of years. As mentioned, all but approximately 120 lots will open at one half of the low estimate in the auction and most will indeed sell.
    ALL of the BERWICK material in UNRESERVED as I have previously said. The estimate on the Dracula one sheet is $150K-250K. It has opened at $75K and will indeed sell. When an item is called unreserved, that means No Reserve will be posted. Why was it valued like that? Because the goal is to sell the material, not to have beautiful items in auction that pass or do not sell.
   When material is given to me for a Signature auction one of my jobs is to try and help the consignor set a value with which to offer the material. Very, very few consignors wish to offer quality material for Signature auction that will open at $1, though there are lots in this auction that do! I do my very best to help the consignor determine a rate we can offer the material in which it will sell and yet they will not have the risk of selling the item for pennies on the dollar. Usually that is by offering the item at an opeining bid of 50% of the low estimate, which I often believe is a totally reasonable, if not incredibly low price but we know with many active bidders the item has a strong likelihood of selling for more than that opening bid. Certainly not always and great deals are often had!
   We usually sell 90% of our MP auctions, if not a good bit more, and that is because the buyers will participate to acquire the items. We receive the best material as our consignors know we will offer them a venue in which the most people will see the material and those buyers will participate. We offer a full color catalog which consignors, collectors and bidders love to see and we offer them visibility on a site which is one of the top 3000 websites in the world! Last month alone we received 725,000 unique visitors. Our nearest competition, Christie's received about 225,000 unique visitors for the same time frame.                                                                                                                                                                                                        In each auction we get far, far less than 1% return as our buyers have learned that we estimate where they have an opportunity to add to their collection and we describe and grade accurately.
  Someone asked if the previous copy of Dracula we sold would be more valuable due to the fact that it was completely intact and yet this copy was missing a bottom border. This copy has more vibrant colors throughout! So the trade off for the missing bottom border is the brighter colors and is really a pretty close trade off for the poster being completely intact, in my opinion.

Der Januskopf

Some confusion may have been created too, by various news articles, like this AP article on Fox, that stated the starting bid for Dracula would be $200K. I reads as tho, once any reserves were made known, the minimum bid amount would suddenly be pushed to that number and the bid at the time this article appeared ($90K) would be tossed out:

"James Cagney, Jean Harlow, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Barbara Stanwyck are among the matinee idols gracing several posters but Bela Lugosi, bug-eyed and menacing in the 1931 ad for horror classic "Dracula," counts as the star of the auction with a starting bid of $200,000."

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/03/12/trove-valuable-rare-movie-posters-found-glued-together-going-to-auction/