Author Topic: Berwick Discovery: The Biggest find of early movie posters in recent history  (Read 288471 times)

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Far less refined Ted - just like London vs. New York ;)

Lets have less of this London Talk, I'm up in the North. Have you not heard of the great North/south divide in this country....
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic

Lets have less of this London Talk, I'm up in the North. Have you not heard of the great North/south divide in this country....

Yes, yes.  But we are talking New York here Paul - you thus need a comparable city.

Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
Well I'm closer to Edinburgh.... ;)
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Someone posted this link in another forum:
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20120312/ENT/120319922

Not much new information, although I don't think the $30k purchase price has been discussed here.
I thought the $200k minimum bid for Dracula statement was interesting, since they apparently have accepted the current $90k internet bid as valid.
-Jay-

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Someone posted this link in another forum:
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20120312/ENT/120319922

Not much new information, although I don't think the $30k purchase price has been discussed here.
I thought the $200k minimum bid for Dracula statement was interesting, since they apparently have accepted the current $90k internet bid as valid.

Jay you are forgetting how Heritage operates.  The $90,000 bid doesn't matter if there is a hidden reserve.  If there is one, and $200,000 is the minimum, you will see once the reserve is applied that the bid is now miraculously $200,000 (even if noone has bid that amount).

And the $30,000 total cost WAS discussed here...

Still thanks for sharing the article.
Chris

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
On the second page of "The Berwick Discovery" mini auction catalog from Heritage, the second to last paragraph starts out with "The story of the Berwick Discovery of Lost Movie Posters is far from over......".

Does this imply that there are more posters to come?

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
On the second page of "The Berwick Discovery" mini auction catalog from Heritage, the second to last paragraph starts out with "The story of the Berwick Discovery of Lost Movie Posters is far from over......".

Does this imply that there are more posters to come?

Probably a builder in the area used one-sheets for insulation for many years, so now everyone in town will be tearing the houses apart looking for posters.

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
Or there will be more to add to the story once the results are in.
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Or there will be more to add to the story once the results are in.

That's how I understood it as well
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Front page article in Press Enterprise today:

BERWICK’S $250G+ FIND: Rare film posters from attic called collectors’ ‘dream’
By SUSAN SCHWARTZ
Press Enterprise Writer
March 13, 2012

BERWICK — A set of rare movie posters from 1930 and 1931 reportedly turned up in a Berwick attic last summer glued together and being used as insulation. Now an auction house expects to get more than $250,000 for the collection. The posters, dubbed “The Berwick Discovery” by Heritage Auctions, include a 1931 poster for “Dracula” starring Bela Lugosi — only the fourth of its kind still known to exist. Heritage sold one for $310,000 in 2009. The treasures also include the only known copy of a poster from “The Public Enemy” and one of only two known posters for “Little Caesar.” Both were gangster movies from 1931. “All collectors live for the dream of making a great find, like a stack of posters in a bookstore that the bookstore didn’t know what to do with,” said Gray Smith, the poster expert for Heritage, who painstakingly peeled apart the Berwick posters. The job took 80 hours.

A mystery

Exactly where the posters have been all these years is a mystery. They probably came from one of Berwick’s three movie houses at the time: The Strand, The Palace or the Temple, the auction house said. Smith said in the 1930s, movie house owners would plaster posters for new releases over older ones. After the stack built up, they’d be removed from the boards.

On Oct. 23, a member of allposterforum.com wrote that six stacks of these glued together posters were found between the rafters of a Berwick attic, according to moviepostercollectors. com. The homeowner died, and a small estate sale was being held in this borough, said the member, who goes by the name “Harry Caul.” Caul wrote that he received some photos from the auctioneers, Patriot Antique and Auction Center out of West Virginia, and he eagerly awaited the Oct. 23 sale. “I was in it to win it with some pretty large max bids,” he wrote. But he was blown away by the final prices.

Smith said the winner paid between $30,000 and $40,000 for the six stacks of gluedtogether posters.

‘My jaw dropped’

That winner, who is remaining anonymous, apparently never planned to keep them; the purchaser sent photos of the stacks to Heritage even before buying them, asking if Heritage would be interested in reselling them. “Little Caesar” was already visible on top of one stack, said Smith. “My jaw dropped open.” That poster alone was worth more than $20,000, he said. “I told him we’d be very interested in what they are,” Smith said. “But we couldn’t tell what their value would be unless we got them.” When the poster stacks arrived at his door, Smith saw some of the top layers weren’t in good shape. But he could see more posters peeking through the shreds. “It’s fascinating,” said Smith. “It was sort of like looking for buried treasure.” Smith used a clothing steamer with distilled water to melt the wallpaper paste holding the stacks together and a water spritzer to carefully soak the posters. Then he used a paint spatula to painstakingly separate them. “It’s like removing wallpaper,” he said. “Only in this case, the wallpaper was extremely valuable.”

‘Come quickly!’

Smith worked from the back to avoid damaging the fronts of the posters. The first one he peeled off the first stack was “Dishonored,” starring Marlene Dietrich in her second U.S. film. As he worked on the second poster, a blue-purple stamp started showing through. Only Warner Brothers used such a stamp at that time, and he had a feeling it was something good. Then he worked his way to the title and yelled to his assistant. “It was sort of like Alexander Graham Bell,” he remembered. “I yelled, ‘Come quickly! Does that say what I think?’” He had just uncovered “The Public Enemy,” which had never before been on the market. He estimated that poster is worth at least $25,000. Along with “Little Caesar,” it formed the template for every gangster movie afterward, Smith said.
‘Great sampling’

In the end, he was able to peel off 33 saleable posters out of about 40. “It turned out to be a great sampling of good movies.” The colors were astonishingly bright, he added. Each poster probably saw the light of day only for three days before the advertisement for the next coming attraction was plastered over it. Smith later sent the posters to a restoration shop. Staff there washed them to remove the grime and remaining paste, used chemicals to deacidify the paper, mounted them on special pH-balanced paper, and fi nally attached them to cotton duck material so they could be rolled up. “They were unfolded and put on boards, so the creases were less apparent than they would have been if they’d been stored in a box and unfolded and refolded,” he said.

Online bidding for the posters has already started. The highest bids will be the starting point for the live auction March 23, Smith said. Bidders can show up in person at the auction in Dallas, Texas, or submit bids by phone or over the Internet.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:14:57 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Second page article:

FROM THEATERS TO BUILDING MATERIALS
By SUSAN SCHWARTZ
Press Enterprise Writer
March 13, 2012

BERWICK — Lots of movie posters from the 1930s fell victim to the Great Depression, World War II and new fire codes, said Gray Smith, director of movie posters for Heritage Auctions.
During the Great Depression, people made do with what they could, Smith said. So it’s not surprising someone would take piles of old posters and use them to insulate an attic.

According to moviepostercollectors.com [THIS IS INCORRECT - SHOULD SAY ACCORDING TO BRUCE HERSHENSON’S ARTICLE ‘THE HISTORY OF MOVIE POSTERS’], some builders between 1910 and the early 1930s even hooked up with poster exchanges to take large amounts of outdated posters and put them in the walls of new homes.

The website administrator [INCORRECT] said he knows of at least 10 occasions when people remodeling their houses found stashes of posters in their walls or under the floors.

Then in World War II, posters fell victim to paper drives, Smith said. And after the war, new fire codes sent fire marshals into theaters, where they ordered owners to get rid of dangerous stacks of old paper. The recent find in Berwick was unusually big, including several posters from important movies in surprisingly good condition, experts said.

The news surprised Joe Yachimowski, a Bloomsburg collector and Berwick native who contacted the paper after getting an email from an auction house. “This is an amazing find,” said Yachimowski, who usually collects less-expensive movie lobby cards. “I just wondered who found it, and where they were. “And I wonder if anyone has any more. People should be checking their attics.” He also regrets not hearing about the first, local auction of the posters. “Where was I that day?” he asked.
Local auctioneers said they didn’t remember any such auction. The auction house one online source credited with running the first sale, Patriot Antique and Auction Center of West Virginia, did not return repeated calls.

Der Januskopf

Probably a builder in the area used one-sheets for insulation for many years, so now everyone in town will be tearing the houses apart looking for posters.

What is also interesting is the visual idea, when the word "stack" is used. In my mind, I pictured piles that were rather thick, like a book. The total find was about 40 one sheets, according to Grey and the news articles. If all 40 were literally placed one on top of the other, how thick would this total "stack" of posters be? About an inch? (or less?) Basically, we are talking about the thickness of a single sheet of paper, times 40.  :)

Since the posters were comprised of six stacks, each pile would have been rather thin, I am assuming.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Interesting article Mel and thanks for posting.

I guess Matt can take some solace in the fact he is infamous!

The article is also further evidence that we never know who is reading the information posted on this forum.

I also found it startling that Grey himself apparently undertook the chore of separating the posters!  I had raised concerns earlier that if they were simply
sent to a restorer in a stack how would the buyer know what was in there unless they attended as well?

I don't know if I would have the nerve to separate them myself - I'd choose the lurking over the professional's shoulder approach!
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

The article is also further evidence that we never know who is reading the information posted on this forum.

I also found it startling that Grey himself apparently undertook the chore of separating the posters!

The reporter found my article about TBD in the Stories section of MoviePosterCollectors.com and I referred her to other sources, including this forum thread.

Yes Grey The Great Restorer?

Juli

Basically, we are talking about the thickness of a single sheet of paper, times 40.  :)

Since the posters were comprised of six stacks, each pile would have been rather thin, I am assuming.

That's what I was thinking too. I thought maybe they found them folded but that doesn't appear to be the case, so the stacks would have been quite thin which makes me wonder how they could have insulated a house/attic?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
If you guys look at the very beginning of the thread there are pictures of 1/2 a stack.

And yes, the "stacks" were clearly quite thin.  I doubt they were the only means of insulation used...
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Right, Chris.

Six- 27Wx40H x1/4" thick stacks may have been placed in areas of the attic (ceiling or floor) that were lacking in regular insulation, so they were used as secondary filler.

And kudos to Grey for being the steam-meister, doing the initial poster separations. Great Job!   happy1

Jeff

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 02:57:42 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Dread_Pirate_Mel

The paper images (text in prior entries):

« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:43:01 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
"Farm Field Yields Bomb" !!  :o
Chris

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
SHICKSHINNY!
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
That is very cool Mel.

I mean the Harry Caul part and not so much the bomb in the field.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
SHICKSHINNY!

What is shickshinny?
LOL

I like the sound of it, tho.

-Jeff

Offline greysm

• Hobbyist
    • Director of US Poster Auctions
Jay you are forgetting how Heritage operates.  The $90,000 bid doesn't matter if there is a hidden reserve.  If there is one, and $200,000 is the minimum, you will see once the reserve is applied that the bid is now miraculously $200,000 (even if noone has bid that amount).

And the $30,000 total cost WAS discussed here...

Still thanks for sharing the article.
I'm not sure you really understand "how Heritage operates" at all.  I think you may be listening to some folks who believe they have a lot to gain by posting mis-information, as is frequently done.
We do not post a reserve above the minimum poster estimate. We have never done that nor do we do that. Could there possibly be an instance where a reserve was missed and placed later? Perhaps, but very, very rare. Of 160,000 lots sold, maybe 3 or 4 lots!
The items from Berwick have no reserves other than those which they have opened or have not opened with now. There will be no other reserves placed on those items.
Now, that being said, once all reserves are posted in a few days you'll no doubt find that only about 120 items have a reserve above the one half of the low estimate where they stand now! That is a very, very low number of reserved items when you realize that all of the rest of this great material is not reserved above one half of the low estimate! A ton of deals will be had. And you'll never be able to partake without bidding.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
I'm not sure you really understand "how Heritage operates" at all.  I think you may be listening to some folks who believe they have a lot to gain by posting mis-information, as is frequently done.
We do not post a reserve above the minimum poster estimate. We have never done that nor do we do that. Could there possibly be an instance where a reserve was missed and placed later? Perhaps, but very, very rare. Of 160,000 lots sold, maybe 3 or 4 lots!
The items from Berwick have no reserves other than those which they have opened or have not opened with now. There will be no other reserves placed on those items.
Now, that being said, once all reserves are posted in a few days you'll no doubt find that only about 120 items have a reserve above the one half of the low estimate where they stand now! That is a very, very low number of reserved items when you realize that all of the rest of this great material is not reserved above one half of the low estimate! A ton of deals will be had. And you'll never be able to partake without bidding.

Thanks for the post Grey.

But am I not correct in saying that IF there is a reserve on an item, it will become the current bid (regardless of any lower bids placed before) once the reserves are revealed/applied?

Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
here is a question that I have.

Unless someone has the finances to actually bid on such posters as a Dracula, Public Enemy or Ten Cents a Dance, why do any of them care what the reserve price is going to be on such posters??

I completely understand the interest in knowing what the reserve is on something you are going to bid on, or what the final price is on something you won't bid on (yes we were keenly interested in what the BOF teaser would sell for - but it didn't of course). The rest is just gossip for gossip's sake IMO

That said, I have no doubt that the Dracula poster & most if not all of the Berwick posters will actually sell next week when they hit the auction block.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------