Author Topic: Berwick Discovery: The Biggest find of early movie posters in recent history  (Read 285827 times)

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Re: The biggest find of early movie posters in recent history was sold today...
« Reply #325 on: February 20, 2012, 11:12:22 PM »
Yes, that is gorgeous.
Great poster for a great movie.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #326 on: February 20, 2012, 11:16:37 PM »
"If you crave the very rarest, and the very best in vintage movie posters, then you must bid on this historic gem. In more than eight decades, it is the only copy ever to surface, despite the diligent efforts of collectors across the globe searching for paper on this landmark film."

I visualize a bunch of crazed collectors busting up grandpa's attic to find more of these....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:17:17 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #327 on: February 21, 2012, 03:40:20 AM »
That Public Enemy is just gorgeous.
Ves

Bruce

« Reply #328 on: February 21, 2012, 06:35:29 AM »
THIS is what is so scary about the state of restoration in the hobby these days. If someone posted that Public Enemy image and said IT had be found with virtually no restoration of any kind, I and likely everyone else would believe it, based on that image. And WHO did the recreation of the missing part (or the restoration of the other posters)? And if no other example of this poster exists, how did that restorer know what to draw, and what colors to use?

I agree that if is incredible, as are many of the posters found! Best of luck on getting world record prices. If that happens, then likely next-to-none of the bidders will be from within the hobby, so extensive publicity will be the key to their success in finding those buyers.

Bruce

Charlie

« Reply #329 on: February 21, 2012, 07:06:22 AM »
I wonder who did the restorations...

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #330 on: February 21, 2012, 08:36:50 AM »
And if no other example of this poster exists, how did that restorer know what to draw, and what colors to use?

Mel did state that the restorer used the pressbook for the image.  The colors should be accurate because part of Harlow was available and the colors would continue with the same tones.  Yes, there may be a bit that is 'off' but I bet it is not anything major.
-Jay-

Bruce

« Reply #331 on: February 21, 2012, 09:14:17 AM »
Jay

Look at this sample image of a pressbook page: http://www.emovieposter.com/images/announcements/coolitems/pb_big_cage_backcover.jpg

Yes, you COULD restore one of these one-sheets from the pressbook image, but you sure would be doing a lot of guessing on color and fine detail.

Bruce

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #332 on: February 21, 2012, 09:18:22 AM »
Wondering who did the work as well.. Grey, can you speak as to who did the restorations? Digital images look like they did fantastic work, if I lived within a few hours drive I would be at this auction just to get the once in a lifetime opportunity to see all of these gathered in one place.

Also if I owned these, I would have staggered the "to market date" as you may run the folks that would be interested in these a little thin on their poster funds. Granted it may be pocket change to several, but I personally feel the sum of the lot would have brought more if not all came to market in one shot.

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #333 on: February 21, 2012, 10:43:45 AM »
I just hope there are more than just chunks of that "White Hell of Pitz Palu."  That's the most of that I've ever seen.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #334 on: February 21, 2012, 11:29:05 AM »
Look at this sample image of a pressbook page: http://www.emovieposter.com/images/announcements/coolitems/pb_big_cage_backcover.jpg
Yes, you COULD restore one of these one-sheets from the pressbook image, but you sure would be doing a lot of guessing on color and fine detail.

And WHO did the recreation of the missing part (or the restoration of the other posters)? And if no other example of this poster exists, how did that restorer know what to draw, and what colors to use?

Well if it had been restored using that pressbook there might be a tiger up in the corner.
WHO Cares who did the restoration? (aside from the fact it looks like their business would boom is people knew).
But it's not like they took a b&w poster, gave it to a restorer and said color it in. Obviously the image is very similar to the WC, which you, me, and everyone else has seen - so the artist had a good idea of what he/she had to recreate.
From the description, it seems that there is a good indication that the colors were known also from what was left of the poster. Could it be possible that the top right border was really blue and didn't match the lower rust-colored border at all? I guess so. Maybe in the original Harlow had a few more individual eyelashes drawn. Who cares? You are comparing it to an item that is not known to exist at this time.
The way the poster presents now I am sure is infinitely more appealing than how it presented before. If I was the proud purchaser of this poster, I would be perfectly fine with the guesses as to color and fine detail the restorer made.
You obviously aren't pleased and so I imagine will not be bidding on it. That's cool too. You can wait for the next one.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #335 on: February 21, 2012, 12:00:29 PM »
STILL no Fox.

I think these are the only two Fox pictures to come out of the pile so far...

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #336 on: February 21, 2012, 12:05:50 PM »
You've beat me to the Dracula but thank you for sharing my image of it just unmounted!
Here's a few more......
here's how vibrant the colors are..

By greysm at 2012-02-19

By greysm at 2012-02-19

Thanks for sharing the images Grey. It's amazing to see the early stages of the restoration process. If there's more, just keep 'em coming. The colors certainly look very vivid, not as much as in the website, but close enough...  ;)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #337 on: February 21, 2012, 12:07:14 PM »
In the case of this Dracula poster, I would prefer the restored example over having it how it was when peeled apart.

I'll take any of the two  :)
Matias

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #339 on: February 21, 2012, 12:38:12 PM »
As big a fan Of Universal Horror that I am, if I turned up to buy that Dracula, I may just about turn and spend it on that Public Enemy. That is some poster.... And it has a first rate image of Cagney and Harlow. The Dracula don't even have an image of Bela...
It's more than a Hobby...

Der Januskopf

« Reply #340 on: February 21, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »
Mel did state that the restorer used the pressbook for the image.  The colors should be accurate because part of Harlow was available and the colors would continue with the same tones.  Yes, there may be a bit that is 'off' but I bet it is not anything major.

Let's be accurate here.  :)  HERITAGE stated that the restorer used the PB as a guide for the restoration in its description of the poster, not Dread. That info was cut from HA.com and pasted here to APF, (plus the link).

-KL
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:03:13 PM by Der Januskopf »

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #341 on: February 21, 2012, 01:02:57 PM »

Yup, saw those. 

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #342 on: February 21, 2012, 01:10:59 PM »
I just hope there are more than just chunks of that "White Hell of Pitz Palu."  That's the most of that I've ever seen.

--Peter

You and your taste in mountain movies...  ;)
Matias

Der Januskopf

« Reply #343 on: February 21, 2012, 01:27:26 PM »
Well if it had been restored using that pressbook there might be a tiger up in the corner.
WHO Cares who did the restoration? (aside from the fact it looks like their business would boom is people knew).
But it's not like they took a b&w poster, gave it to a restorer and said color it in. Obviously the image is very similar to the WC, which you, me, and everyone else has seen - so the artist had a good idea of what he/she had to recreate.
From the description, it seems that there is a good indication that the colors were known also from what was left of the poster. Could it be possible that the top right border was really blue and didn't match the lower rust-colored border at all? I guess so. Maybe in the original Harlow had a few more individual eyelashes drawn. Who cares? You are comparing it to an item that is not known to exist at this time.
The way the poster presents now I am sure is infinitely more appealing than how it presented before. If I was the proud purchaser of this poster, I would be perfectly fine with the guesses as to color and fine detail the restorer made.
You obviously aren't pleased and so I imagine will not be bidding on it. That's cool too. You can wait for the next one.

You (and others) may not care; that's fine, but obviously, some (probably many) do, and would like to know who did the work. Questions abound on so many topics in this forum - Poor restorers are discussed and not recommended; good ones are promoted by members. The most recent was the naming of the guy that butchered that ET advance OS years ago.

So with posters of this caliber-- when significant areas have been re-created. or retouched, of course it would be a natural (and valid) question to ask.  Any potential buyer of the Public Enemy poster (or any other) would have the right to know who worked on it. And until bidding is finished, anyone looking at this one or the others is a potential buyer, and has the right to know and ask. This isnt government classified information, after all.  :P

There has been discussion on other boards that HA uses Jaime Mendez (who did the Haggard fakes) for their restoration work.

-KL

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #344 on: February 21, 2012, 01:31:36 PM »

Nice pair of Foxes.  thumbup thumbup

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #345 on: February 21, 2012, 01:35:23 PM »

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:44:40 AM by brude »

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #346 on: February 21, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »

Every one of these is like another twist in the knife...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #347 on: February 21, 2012, 02:00:36 PM »
Every one of these is like another twist in the knife...

I'll bet, Harry.
Unfortunately, it's probably only gonna get worse.
I recommend alcohol the night of the auction.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #348 on: February 21, 2012, 02:22:39 PM »

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 02:51:40 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #349 on: February 21, 2012, 02:24:18 PM »
Well, I wonder if they have reached saturation by selling too many high end posters at once to too few high end buyers.
-Jay-