Author Topic: Berwick Discovery: The Biggest find of early movie posters in recent history  (Read 285853 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: The biggest find of early movie posters in recent history was sold today...
« Reply #300 on: February 20, 2012, 03:13:29 PM »
Wait - Mel so now you are agreeing that the final catalogue image looks "saturated"? 
Chris

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #301 on: February 20, 2012, 03:21:24 PM »
Wait - Mel so now you are agreeing that the final catalogue image looks "saturated"? 

I think we can agree that "catalogue" is a wacky way of spelling "catalog" :)

Sure, the advertised pic appears saturated compared to the pics we've seen so far.  However, having ordered 100 or so posters from Heritage and all of them having shown up exactly like the pics, I know that Heritage does not systematically enhance its pics and I doubt it was done here.  I'm sure other pics will be forthcoming and we'll all see it on video at the auction.

agentprovocateur

« Reply #302 on: February 20, 2012, 05:14:19 PM »
the real question is: who cares??

as I stated earlier in this thread - anyone who is interested in this poster (and has the money to buy it) will go to Dallas or send someone to Dallas to examine the poster in person. Anyone else is the "Peanut Gallery".

Ummm, who cares?? I do, and probably some of the other people discussing it do too. No we can't afford it but this is a film poster forum, and as a poster from an amazing find of many old, rare and desired posters hopefully the place it should be discussed. It'd be a very sad day if we stop discussing posters just because we can't afford them!

We have many threads discussing the minutie of loads of film posters, both vintage and contemporary, in positive and negative ways, on here. We have a 'Pre' and 'Post' auction analysis thread that continually gets great conversations about posters being sold that can cover bad and good dealers/sellers sales and auctions, why is this so different?

I totally agree anyone who is interested (and has the money) in purchasing this or one of the other great posters from the find will make sure they get enough information and try their utmost to actually inspect it person. But as most of us discussing the posters on here cannot entertain the idea of selling a very overused kidney (well me anyway) to even get in the room this is one of our only outlets to discuss our thoughts on the subject.

The other main reason, for me anyway, that makes this a very interesting topic is how it all started. The posters weren't separate when found, they were all pasted together and used in a building as insulation. It's these condition factors involved with this specific find that got my interest in how they're marketed and represented for sale.

Most of us have complained about a photo or description of a poster that misrepresented it's grade, this discussion is a slightly more expensive and amicable meander around a higher end poster and how it's represented. If there was a top quality photo of the actual poster on the auction there would probably not have been this discussion, it could have focused more on the restoration/paper addition and whether people would have preferred it natural or enhanced.

Anyways, as normal with me, ramble, ramble, ramble... I wish I was a bit more eloquent and have the ability to put my thought down more succinctly but I'm afraid that is not the case!

No offence is meant to yourself Mr MPB, your comment just jarred with me a bit, peace love and poster utopia to everyone.

AP

Charlie

« Reply #303 on: February 20, 2012, 05:34:07 PM »

as I stated earlier in this thread - anyone who is interested in this poster (and has the money to buy it) will go to Dallas or send someone to Dallas to examine the poster in person. Anyone else is the "Peanut Gallery".

Kind of a +1 on this... Who cares what the colors look like?  I am not going to buy it.  Although driving up to look at it sounds like fun...

Der Januskopf

« Reply #304 on: February 20, 2012, 05:44:23 PM »

Seems a rather odd question to ask in a forum dedicated to movie posters. If no one cared, there would be no discussion about anything poster related = no forum.

Even tho you may not care, there is a certain amount of interest in this subject, and rightfully so, whether those asking or commenting about it can afford it or not. And it is probably even better discussed for that very reason, since the vast majority will never see this poster in person or be able to send someone to look at it on his or her behalf.

Threads abound here, asking questions of many lesser posters. So why should this one be any different? Simply because is a high end grail of sorts? All the more reason, IMO.

Im sure those that are interested are looking forward to any other photos and information that may be forthcoming, too.  ;)

-KL

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:27:49 PM by Der Januskopf »

Offline greysm

• Hobbyist
    • Director of US Poster Auctions
« Reply #305 on: February 20, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »
A few more photos of unrestored.
I did not take many photos of the process as was mostly just myself involved and when not me, my assistant, and neither of us were interested in photographing it as working alone!!  I did this over the holidays and my family wondered why I wasn't around more!

Honor Among Lovers

City Streets below Fairbanks

Here's one you haven't seen! It is the sound version of Pitz Palu! I have no reference for the missing 2-3" on the bottom!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #306 on: February 20, 2012, 06:18:29 PM »
Great pictures.  Thanks, Grey.
The design composition of HONOR AMONG LOVERS is absolutely incredible.

Der Januskopf

« Reply #307 on: February 20, 2012, 06:22:48 PM »
Nice additional images, Grey.

Can you give a definitive answer to the question about whether the Dracula image, as presented online and in the catalogue, has been saturated or it's color levels boosted, in order to make it appear more vibrant (vs the work in progress photos)? As you can see there is a lot of speculation being presented, based solely on looking at the images.

cheers.

-Kerry
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:23:28 PM by Der Januskopf »

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #308 on: February 20, 2012, 06:24:47 PM »

Seems a rather odd question to ask in a forum dedicated to movie posters. If no one cared, there would be no discussion about anything poster related = no forum.

Even tho you may not care, there is a certain amount of interest in this subject, and rightfully so, whether those asking or commenting about it can afford it or not. And it is probably even better discussed for that very reason, since the vast majority will never see this poster in person or be able to send someone to look at it on his or her behalf.

Threads abound here, asking questions of many lesser posters. So why should this one be any different? Simply because is a high end grail of sorts? All the more reason, IMO.

Im sure those that are interested are looking forward ta any other photos and information that may be forthcoming, too.  ;)

-KL

clap clap clap clap clap clap

Great pictures.  Thanks, Grey.

Thanks Grey!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #309 on: February 20, 2012, 06:33:19 PM »
A few more photos of unrestored.
I did not take many photos of the process as was mostly just myself involved and when not me, my assistant, and neither of us were interested in photographing it as working alone!!  I did this over the holidays and my family wondered why I wasn't around more!

Honor Among Lovers

Beautious! A real keeper.  sm1

Thanks, Grey.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:34:13 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #310 on: February 20, 2012, 06:48:21 PM »
Folks, this isn't a fair question, as every photo taken by a digital camera has some degree of image enhancement performed.  It would be a disservice not to do so.  Lighting conditions are not always consistent, nor are exposures.  A lot of things can affect color, brightness and contrast.  Back in the day of film, we adjusted all this stuff in the enlarger.  Today we do it with image enhancement software.

Does Grey choose a high contrast and saturation?  Probably, but since the final image is influenced by YOUR display settings, it is hard to criticize.  It is also easy to grab the mage and apply your own settings.
-Jay-

Der Januskopf

« Reply #311 on: February 20, 2012, 07:08:53 PM »
Folks, this isn't a fair question, as every photo taken by a digital camera has some degree of image enhancement performed.  It would be a disservice not to do so.  Lighting conditions are not always consistent, nor are exposures.  A lot of things can affect color, brightness and contrast.  Back in the day of film, we adjusted all this stuff in the enlarger.  Today we do it with image enhancement software.

Does Grey choose a high contrast and saturation?  Probably, but since the final image is influenced by YOUR display settings, it is hard to criticize.  It is also easy to grab the mage and apply your own settings.

It certainly is a fair (and simple question) to ask and to answer. There is a difference between "a degree" of enhancement and the intense saturation that this images appears to exhibit. I made comment about the lighting and camera set ups being different, earlier (the fresh linen mounted poster has a bluish cast to it, probably due to being shot with available daylight). But to ask if the poster presented on the HA site, is as it appeared when the raw image was taken in their photo dept, (with evenly focused, diffused lighting) is a natural question to ask, especially since it is a digital image.

A number of members made the observation about it looking over saturated and too vibrant. I dont think all of their display setting are such to over enhance everything they view.

Not to get into any bruhaha.. no need.  ;)

Der Januskopf

« Reply #312 on: February 20, 2012, 07:15:11 PM »

I guarantee I have as much experience with separated 80 to 90 year old posters as anyone, and these will LOOK great when they are restored, but they will also have a "dipped in paint" look.

Bruce

Doesnt seem to be the case with these. From all we have seen, none appear to have that "dipped in paint" look, thank God! clap clap clap

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #313 on: February 20, 2012, 07:16:43 PM »
Thanks for the additional photos Grey.

And I think your last post clarifies that Heritage acquired most of the stacks if not all the postersd directly and they are not on consignment?
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #314 on: February 20, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »
I think we can agree that "catalogue" is a wacky way of spelling "catalog" :)

We are a wacky people way up here ;)
Chris

Offline greysm

• Hobbyist
« Reply #315 on: February 20, 2012, 07:28:13 PM »
To clarify. I can say the posters were brought to us and we helped with the bill for purchase and restoration.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #316 on: February 20, 2012, 07:36:41 PM »
We are a wacky people way up here ;)
Whacky..the word is whacky..jees.

Stew

Bruce

« Reply #317 on: February 20, 2012, 07:40:53 PM »
What is the odd shininess to all the posters? I have never seen a 1930s poster that looked like that, either in person or in photo.

I am surprised if I am the only one wondering this.

Bruce

Offline greysm

• Hobbyist
« Reply #318 on: February 20, 2012, 07:44:01 PM »
They're wet, Bruce.
Sopping wet! Just separated!!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #319 on: February 20, 2012, 07:46:19 PM »
They're wet, Bruce.
Sopping wet! Just separated!!

hitself for Bruce (should of had a V8)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:47:07 PM by CSM »
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #320 on: February 20, 2012, 07:47:34 PM »
Whacky..the word is whacky..jees.

Stew

Yes I agree Stew - we must be consistent here!
Chris

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #321 on: February 20, 2012, 09:23:07 PM »
What is the odd shininess to all the posters? I have never seen a 1930s poster that looked like that, either in person or in photo.

I am surprised if I am the only one wondering this.

Bruce

Nope, I was wondering the same thing too, thanks Grey for clearing that up.

BTW, have all the "stacks" been gone through?  Just wondering what other gems were found.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #322 on: February 20, 2012, 10:42:13 PM »
The "significantly restored" Public Enemy Style A popped up. Apparently much of Harlow was missing and had to be recreated based on the pressbook:

Der Januskopf

« Reply #323 on: February 20, 2012, 11:03:26 PM »
Another brilliant before and After, with little done to this OS for Honor Among Thieves, aside from some restoration to top and bottom trimmed borders, pinholes and a few small tears:

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #324 on: February 20, 2012, 11:07:14 PM »
The "significantly restored" Public Enemy Style A popped up. Apparently much of Harlow was missing and had to be recreated based on the pressbook:

Now that is one stunning poster!  This is a situation (the ONLY known extant copy!) where I would accept a somewhat heavily restored poster.
Chris