Author Topic: Berwick Discovery: The Biggest find of early movie posters in recent history  (Read 285907 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: The biggest find of early movie posters in recent history was sold today...
« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2012, 12:53:33 AM »
the theatre that showed these films was obviously a first-run house

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Charlie

« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2012, 07:52:33 AM »
I think the consensus is that there was a second copy or the pieces were removed from the back of whatever other one it was stuck to (likely the former though)

could it have been that the falcon was under the other stuff and what you thought was pieces of the falcon was actually pieces of other posters...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2012, 10:46:32 AM »
could it have been that the falcon was under the other stuff and what you thought was pieces of the falcon was actually pieces of other posters...

You might be on to something Charlie - very hard to tell from the pic
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2012, 11:01:59 AM »
the theatre that showed these films was obviously a first-run house

I know its all speculation, but do you think Dracula would have been shown in such a theater?  I think it was one of the first horror films to break out into the mainstream, but did that happen 'before' Dracula was released, or 'during' its release?  Meaning maybe it did not get wide distribution until a few weeks/months into its run?

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2012, 11:20:48 AM »
I know its all speculation, but do you think Dracula would have been shown in such a theater?  I think it was one of the first horror films to break out into the mainstream, but did that happen 'before' Dracula was released, or 'during' its release?  Meaning maybe it did not get wide distribution until a few weeks/months into its run?

Matt - do we need to put you back on suicide watch?  ;)
Chris

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2012, 11:50:57 AM »
Dracula was a mainstream film as were a couple of other horrors before Dracula...
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2012, 11:52:58 AM »
Matt - do we need to put you back on suicide watch?  ;)

No need to Chris, if a Dracula happens to pop up from this find, the heart attack will come first  :o
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2012, 12:06:05 PM »

This is correct.
The Kismet poster is obviously in pieces on top of the Maltese Falcon.

While there is a fair chance the Cimarron alone will cover the entire cost of all the auction lots (not counting restoration) I would say there is an excellent chance that the Public Enemy and Cimarron combined will put the buyer into the profit.

Whomever else was phone bidding on these lots will probably regret not going to the mattresses for these for quite awhile.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2012, 01:11:54 PM »

Dracula & Frankenstein were definitely first run theatre meat

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2012, 02:22:53 PM »
No need to Chris, if a Dracula happens to pop up from this find, the heart attack will come first  :o

Bingo.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2012, 02:26:11 PM »
This is correct.
The Kismet poster is obviously in pieces on top of the Maltese Falcon.

While there is a fair chance the Cimarron alone will cover the entire cost of all the auction lots (not counting restoration) I would say there is an excellent chance that the Public Enemy and Cimarron combined will put the buyer into the profit.

Whomever else was phone bidding on these lots will probably regret not going to the mattresses for these for quite awhile.

Whoever won these lots only spent about $30k on the posters.  Assume maybe $400 a pop for restoration on average (x40-50 posters).  That puts their investment right around $50k.  I'm pretty sure they'll do just fine. 

That Public Enemy is hot.  Might be my favorite from the lot so far...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2012, 02:46:15 PM »
Yeah I agree - the Public Enemy is very cool!
Chris

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2012, 05:05:11 PM »

That Public Enemy is hot.  Might be my favorite from the lot so far...

Agree with you on this.  Winner for me by a country mile.  Shame you didn't manage to snafu them to begin with.  *sniff*
Ves

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2012, 05:45:37 PM »
Agree with you on this.  Winner for me by a country mile.  Shame you didn't manage to snafu them to begin with.  *sniff*

Its my own fault.  The sellers had no idea what they had.  I'm positive that after I (stupidly) asked too many questions and aroused their suspicions... they just did a google search on "movie posters" and called Bruce and Heritage.  Bruce said he was on the phone for the auction, but I know there was no way he would have found this obscure auction without being tipped off.  And there were only 3-4 bidders total, me, Bruce, probably HA and maybe one other. 

Word to the wise for all of you... when you find something this big, pony up and buy a plane ticket.  Do it right.  I was trying to get too much info from a far and blew it.  I bet I would have walked away with the whole stack for a $1,000 had a kept much fucking mouth shut.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2012, 07:25:31 PM »
Its my own fault.  The sellers had no idea what they had.  I'm positive that after I (stupidly) asked too many questions and aroused their suspicions... they just did a google search on "movie posters" and called Bruce and Heritage.  Bruce said he was on the phone for the auction, but I know there was no way he would have found this obscure auction without being tipped off.  And there were only 3-4 bidders total, me, Bruce, probably HA and maybe one other. 

Word to the wise for all of you... when you find something this big, pony up and buy a plane ticket.  Do it right.  I was trying to get too much info from a far and blew it.  I bet I would have walked away with the whole stack for a $1,000 had a kept much fucking mouth shut.

Matt you've had a number of great scores buddy - I think you can rest easy!
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2012, 07:39:43 PM »
I know, I know... as we've discussed, me torturing myself is all part of the grieving process.  Someday I'll laugh at this... unfortunately that day is a long ways off.

But you have to admit, my scores, awesome as they have been, pale in comparison to this mother load!

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2012, 07:48:05 PM »
I know, I know... as we've discussed, me torturing myself is all part of the grieving process.  Someday I'll laugh at this... unfortunately that day is a long ways off.

But you have to admit, my scores, awesome as they have been, pale in comparison to this mother load!

BUT they outstrip by far what many of us plebeians have managed to find...
Chris

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2012, 07:48:48 PM »
Plus all that $$$ would needlessly complicate your life - you might even lose the desire to search out these obscure auctions?  ;D
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #118 on: January 19, 2012, 07:56:57 PM »
Then again, speaking of deals... I did recently score a poster from a Nic Cage tax auction!

http://www.abell.com/auctions/single_owner.php

It wasn't billed as a 'Nicolas Cage' auction, but the 'red gun' artwork in the above auction was clearly owned by him (http://www.helnwein.com/kuenstler/update/artikel_645.html).  And there was a, no joke, 10' long Ghost Rider steel welded sculpture sold in the auction.  You do the math.  I surmised that it was a tax auction due to a) his very public tax problems and b) the auctioneer said under the 'special circumstances' of the auction he had no contact with the seller.  Anyway, there were a bunch of vintage posters, most of which sold above past eMovie and HA prices.  It was a Hollywood auction and I'm sure there were no shortage of people who knew the origin of the items.  I'd guess most people were willing to over-pay a bit to say they owned something that used to belong to Nic Cage. 

Luckily, the poster I won was a wolf in sheep's clothing.  I won a 2001 Star Child 1-sheet... normally a $50-$100 poster.  And not surprisingly someone bid me up to $300, probably to say it was Nic Cage's Star Child poster.  But I won anyway.  Apparently I was the only one bidding that knew it was an uber-rare wilding style poster.  Never folded, but it was needlessly mounted on linen.  Regardless, 3 bills was a steal for this poster... HA sold 2 and both went north of $3K.  Unfortunately it was slightly crunched in shipping, but it insured so UPS covered a de-mounting and new restoration at Poster Mountain.

http://www.postermountain.com/form/posters/formatted/8374

Sorry for the off-topic celebration (yay), but I had to comfort myself somehow.

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
« Reply #119 on: January 19, 2012, 08:00:53 PM »

Go Harry
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:02:09 PM by stewart boyle »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #120 on: January 19, 2012, 08:10:59 PM »
Guess that's what I get for trying to comfort you - bastard.
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #121 on: January 19, 2012, 08:19:39 PM »
50 more deals like that and this 1931 stash will be a thing of the past!  :P

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #123 on: January 19, 2012, 08:45:33 PM »
No doubt some amazing things have passed through their hands...

Just recently original Struzen art for The Thing (http://www.postermountain.com/form/posters/formatted/8442) and Creature From the Black Lagoon (http://www.postermountain.com/form/posters/formatted/8441).

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2012, 08:56:29 PM »
I don't think that 'before' Millie is the one they restored BTW...