Author Topic: Berwick Discovery: The Biggest find of early movie posters in recent history  (Read 285850 times)

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
Very true..I guess in my minds eye I was thinking of the impact of those 2 Public enemy posters and the little caesar one sheet when I first saw them..Cory has some nice LaPlante lobbies that is true as well...couldn't he find some Keaton cards so I can drain my poster account? And have the pleasure of outbidding Morrie ..wishful thinking..Not many poster finds in the walls of my house on the west coast of Maui though!!

I guess all I have to add to the recent finds..I pulled a complete  lobby card set of 8 1918 Shoulder arms Chaplin cards from a scrapbook..very nice shape too...and some kid with sticky fingers In 1931 ran off with a Sidewalks of New York buster Keaton title card..and I pried it from his cold dead hands ..
Tait

Mirosae

One incredible find. And one fab story that Harry should be very proud of.  Harry I don't want to read here that you are still in mourning for this nono. Hold your head high and your beer even higher (I will have a cocktail). A toast. I salute you.

Vamos, vamos, que ya habra mas.. pero no te los guardes todos para ti eh! ;)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
I guess all I have to add to the recent finds..I pulled a complete  lobby card set of 8 1918 Shoulder arms Chaplin cards from a scrapbook..very nice shape too...and some kid with sticky fingers In 1931 ran off with a Sidewalks of New York buster Keaton title card..and I pried it from his cold dead hands ..

I'd love to see that all of those... but especially the Sidewalks fo New York title card!

Offline Starling

• Collector
2 more from Berwick Discovery:

And oddly, this poster from 1929:

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic

I wonder how many more from this find will continue to trickle out via HA's future sig auctions.

-Jeff

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
More stuff from Berwick.

"Vintage Movie Poster 1939 Trapped Confessions of a Nazi Spy
Nice vintage find. This movie poster/banner was found in the attic of the Berwick Theater. This poster is very unique."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Confessions-of-a-Nazi-Spy-Movie-Poster-Banner-material-1939-/360806733565?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5401c1d6fd

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Bruce

How unique is "very unique"?

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Very...  :)
Matias

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Interesting...was this included in the original pre-HA auction with the stacks of pasted together Berwick posters?  If not, I wonder how the seller came to possess it...

Of course it's nice but the asking price is ridiculous.
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Not sure how the seller got it, but he is from Berwick, Pennsylvania.
Matias

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
GAH!  Can't we just let this thread die a peaceful death  :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Interesting...was this included in the original pre-HA auction with the stacks of pasted together Berwick posters?  If not, I wonder how the seller came to possess it...

Of course it's nice but the asking price is ridiculous.

Sounds like this item was separate from the 'Berwick Find' poster stacks which were in a private home. Was it that this also just happens to be from Berwick, PA? Separate item, separate owner and story, most likely?  ;)

-Jeff

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
GAH!  Can't we just let this thread die a peaceful death  :)

I doubted to post in this thread to ensure your good health Matt.
Then I thought you didn't die after the posters in the find sold, so at least you must be stronger now, right?  ;)
Matias

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Sounds like this item was separate from the 'Berwick Find' poster stacks which were in a private home. Was it that this also just happens to be from Berwick, PA? Separate item, separate owner and story, most likely?  ;)

Oh right - missed the theatre attic vs. private home distinction.  Someone needs to throw that banner in the washing machine
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Oh right - missed the theatre attic vs. private home distinction.  Someone needs to throw that banner in the washing machine

You will have a new discovery when the wash and rinse cycle is done:

A handful of silk fibers, and the yellow fringe, stuck to the side of the washing machine drum.   ;D

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
One of the many amazing threads to read here on APF; especially for anyone newly joined.

GOOD historical/auction-related info, all the way around.

thumbup

-Jeff

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
Or if you can keep bumping it just to make Harry cry...

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Or if you can keep bumping it just to make Harry cry...

UGH!
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Bump! And for all the newer newbies (and relating to back stories, histories of posters mentioned in the other thread), this is a fascinating read on the wonderful poster gems that were auctioned off by Heritage a short while back.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:22:33 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Someone call Matt's cardiologist again...  ;)
Matias

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Someone call Matt's cardiologist again...  ;)

GoOn.gif

-Jeff

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Dr. Harry Matt Caul trying to dispose of the Berwick Beast:

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
You guys are being phallic
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!