Author Topic: Berwick Discovery: The Biggest find of early movie posters in recent history  (Read 285865 times)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
That's far above a "meh" Mr. Rew ;)
Chris

Mirosae

"  Well, I'm blathering about probably the biggest find of early movie posters in recent history.  Just remember, you read it first here folks...

Harry, I was just looking around at HA when came across the poster Jeff posted here earlier in HA. Little that I knew about the ''story''. So I went to a mission to learn about the Berwick discovery (well, don't ask why i didnt know about it earlier). And then I found this post in APF, and then I 'knew''...and it is incredibly... I am very sorry you didn't get them. Great posters, great story.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Thanks. That means a lot. I don't think I'll ever live this one down...

As you can tell from my very first post, while I didn't know what exactly would be found in this stash, I knew it was going to be BIG. I couldn't tell you how much time I spent on IMDB trying to first figure out the release date range for the visible posters, then to determine which other big movies came out in the interim. Although admittedly it was just a guess, I even predicted (correctly :'() that Dracula could be in there.

It's funny, but I don't think many of the early responders to this thread quite grasped the magnitude of the find -- at least in the first page or two of posts -- until HA started listing them. For that matter, I'm not sure I even grasped it either until I saw them all in one place!

Oh well, I'm always out there searching for the next big find... And I'll be the first to admit that I've had a pretty great run on poster bargains so far.  :)

Mirosae

I'll be the first to admit that I've had a pretty great run on poster bargains so far.  :)

I am sure will find something BIG soon Harry. Though it seems that you know where to look. I do my reasearch but I cannot call what i find poster bargains,  you will have to tell me where do you find yours! :D

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
And I'll be the first to admit that I've had a pretty great run on poster bargains so far.  :)

moron1

And I don't think anyone fully appreciated the magnitude - not even the eventual successful bidder on the stacks (otherwise the final prices would have been even higher)
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
you will have to tell me where do you find yours! :D

Sorry, not until I retire from collecting :)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
More Berwick goodness, coming up in HA's March 2013 Signature Auction:

The above is a second copy of this OS from the Berwick Find to now be auctioned.  The current OS looks great but had these initial damage issues that were addressed:

This particular example has had restoration to replace the right two inches of the image and numerous other cracks and small tears in the background. There were also a few holes in the black background but all of these issues have been addressed and the poster is now quite presentable.

By comparison, the copy auctioned in March, 2012, (image below) for $3107.00 (inc the BP), had these issues corrected:

(From HA's 2012 Description): This particular gem had tears in the borders, image area, and background, as well as a chip in the top right corner, and one over Cooper's left eye. These minor flaws have all been addressed by expert professional restoration.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 02:48:56 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Mirosae

I will be happy with either poster, or any poster of this lot Though I agree that looking at the two pics one looks more red-ish than the other.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Seeing this thread pop again is opening up old wounds... I just spent way too long re-reading it in its entirety. 

:'(

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Seeing this thread pop again is opening up old wounds... I just spent way too long re-reading it in its entirety. 

:'(

Matt - stop torturing yourself man!  Go get a beer (so I can have one too and not feel like a bad alcoholic dad  cheers) and reflect on all the other awesome discoveries you've made!

It might be small consolation but your initial finding of the collection for auction and posting about it here allowed us all to take part in it in a way.  Probably something that would not and could not have happened if they had simply been smuggled off to Heritage...like I said it may not ease the wounds too much but I appreciate that I had a chance to "discover" the posters too as they were uncovered.
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Matt - stop torturing yourself man!  Go get a beer (so I can have one too and not feel like a bad alcoholic dad  cheers) and reflect on all the other awesome discoveries you've made!

It might be small consolation but your initial finding of the collection for auction and posting about it here allowed us all to take part in it in a way.  Probably something that would not and could not have happened if they had simply been smuggled off to Heritage...like I said it may not ease the wounds too much but I appreciate that I had a chance to "discover" the posters too as they were uncovered.

+1 !!!  ;D

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder

Hell, I'll have one myself too.
Raise your glasses and cheers to Dr. Caul -who will surely find more nice things in the future-  cheers
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
No worries, I had plenty to drink tonight  cheers

So what's the deal... are these Berwick remnants?  Doubles that they wanted to space out?  Here is another one:

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7072&lotIdNo=5010

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
No worries, I had plenty to drink tonight  cheers

So what's the deal... are these Berwick remnants?  Doubles that they wanted to space out?  Here is another one:

http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7072&lotIdNo=5010

I would say definitely Matt.  These are probably the examples that were in lesser condition to begin with and required more extensive restoration.

Surprised no mention is made of them being part of the Berwick group though?  Maybe the description will be updated before the auction...
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
from the listing Chris:

From the Berwick Discovery.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
I would say definitely Matt.  These are probably the examples that were in lesser condition to begin with and required more extensive restoration.

Surprised no mention is made of them being part of the Berwick group though?  Maybe the description will be updated before the auction...

Chris, the CITY STREETS description does state "from the the Berwick Collection," in the last line.; it is not stated, though, in the TEN CENTS A DANCE description.

Seems this second TEN CENTS may not be from the Berwick group?

From http://movieposters.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7072&lotIdNo=5010:

This poster (one of two known copies) has had the upper and lower borders replaced and has also had airbrushing to all the borders. There were some tears in the image (primarily in the lower area going into the blue silhouette) and another in the upper border extending into the yellow background above Stanwyck's credit. There were numerous chips and surface abrasions within the right side of the image in the yellow background. All of these issues were addressed with professional restoration and the poster stands as an exquisite example of pre-Code advertising. Fine+ on Linen.

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
from the listing Chris:

From the Berwick Discovery.

Yeah - wasn't clear - I was referring to the Ten Cents

I'd be suprised if the Ten Cents is also not from the Berwick group...
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Yeah - wasn't clear - I was referring to the Ten Cents

I'd be suprised if the Ten Cents is also not from the Berwick group...

+1 and +2 

I didn't even look at the Cooper poster listing... I was busy throwing dimes at Barb.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
+1 and +2 

I didn't even look at the Cooper poster listing... I was busy throwing dimes at Barb.

So how many dances did that add up to? 
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Inflation is not being kind to Barb... I have $44.50 in my pocket. 

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
Inflation is not being kind to Barb... I have $44.50 in my pocket. 

$44 makes you a rich man to me.   :P

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Well, my babysitter is about to get $30 of that... simply so I could have some time to get work done  >:(

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Well, my babysitter is about to get $30 of that... simply so I could have some time to get work done  >:(

Just don't ask her how much for a dance and you'll be alright
Chris

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
Harry..i just reread the entire thread and ended up having 7 beers doing that..it is a remarkable find that no one was really expecting at this late date..I was actually underbidder on a few..and I even feel bad about that so I can't imagine how ya feel..however it is noteworthy that these were saved and restored brilliantly ..for preservations sake it is good that they ended up where they did..now is it any small redemption, considering the haggard fiasco, that if indeed Jaime Mendez DID restore these...he earned back some brownie points? Harlowe's face looked competently executed AND that CIMARRON poster was excellent when it was finished..
Tait

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
these types of finds are still happening

look at the attic find on ebay right now with the Doug Fairbanks posters

seller hisgoods4u who's been selling for months

Cory Glaberson is currently listing a new find of 20s-30s lobby cards with lots of rare pieces

last year I had a small such deal

they're still happening.......

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------