Author Topic: Berwick Discovery: The Biggest find of early movie posters in recent history  (Read 286408 times)

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
This is a pretty great one from the find:

Cimarron looks great:

Looks like about 20 posters total so far have been saved from this find.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Thanks for posting Sean - was waiting for the pics to show up.

Obviously their realism suffers a bit from Heritage's usual high contrast photo rendering but it is still clear whoever performed the restoration was very skilled!
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Obviously their realism suffers a bit from Heritage's usual high contrast photo rendering

I always think exactly that looking at some of Heritage`s images.
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Do you know who ended up buying these Sean?  Was it HA directly? 

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Do you know who ended up buying these Sean?  Was it HA directly? 

pcorn
Matias

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
I wonder why the First National logo is so dark in the "Little Caesar" picture?

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
I wonder why the First National logo is so dark in the "Little Caesar" picture?

Looks to be about the same darkness as pictured in the "pre" photo.

I do not believe Heritage was the direct purchaser of these pieces, but I have not spoken to Grey about them.
Doesn't really matter, and I haven't been that curious about the owner - though I wish I had known of the auction so I could have at least made the owner pay a lot more
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
though I wish I had known of the auction so I could have at least made the owner pay a lot more

Funny, I wish NO ONE had known about the auction so I could have paid a lot less  ;)

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Funny, I wish NO ONE had known about the auction so I could have paid a lot less  ;)

Well the chances of that happening are about 0% in today's world.
So if you're not going to be prepared to go all-out for them, it's probably better to team-up with someone who will do just that.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
Of course they also could of ended up with thousands of dollars of paper mush.

These should definitely have before and after restoration pictures made available to the potential buyers.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Of course they also could of ended up with thousands of dollars of paper mush.

These should definitely have before and after restoration pictures made available to the potential buyers.

Heritage certainly does seem to be "glossing over" the restoration (unless by some miracle these came from the middle of the stack and showed a lot better once being separated)
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Well the chances of that happening are about 0% in today's world.
So if you're not going to be prepared to go all-out for them, it's probably better to team-up with someone who will do just that.

no question.. there is no reason to leave money on the table because you can't afford a good deal.. You find a partner & making half of something is w-a-a-a-a-a-y better than making 100% of nothing
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:12:13 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
Heritage certainly does seem to be "glossing over" the restoration (unless by some miracle these came from the middle of the stack and showed a lot better once being separated)

The particular case of this stack is one of those in wich restoration is absolutely necessary, and a good amount of restoration/recreation is to be expected. If I were bidding in one of these posters, I could live with the heavy restoration/recreation because I was able to see the pre restoration pics taken by Mr Caul (thing that would not have happened if I wasn`t an APF member).
Point is, in a perfect world, pre-restoration pics or a VERY detailed description of the work made by the restorer -opposed to highly retouched photos and vague restoration info-  should be present when posters like this show up... 
Matias

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
Sweet Jehu, could there be a better year than 1931 for a poster stash?  I'd like to see a '33 stash, but dayum, there are some sweet posters in this find.

Would have loved to have been at the restorers when these were unpeeled.  Better than Holiday Day.

--Peter
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
So, I gotta ask - any chance a Dracula or Frankenstein was found and has been cleverly concealed to this point?   ;D
Chris

Der Januskopf

Since these Heritage copies are from "the find," according to Sean and others, does anyone know who they used to do the restoration? I read that they continued to use Jaime Mendez for their restoration work (even after the Haggard fiasco), and was curious if it was he who worked on these, as well.

Kerry L

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:26:55 PM by Der Januskopf »

Der Januskopf

Looks impressive, but the original image, post-find, looks very muted and a bit faded. Compared to the boosted image that Heritage now offers online, would one say that the true color and vibrancy of this poster lies somewhere in between the 2 images? Cleaning and backing alone would not, for example, make the faded yellows of the title pop like they do in the post-restoration image.

clap thumbup
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:15:10 PM by Der Januskopf »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
As you note - Heritage's images are always "boosted" in terms of colouring etc.

Also possible there has been some airbrushing.  A good cleaning would enhance the colours a bit but not as much as Heritage would have you believe...
Chris

Der Januskopf

Sorry Chris, I linked to the wrong photo and now I can't edit it... here is the closest anyone will probably ever come to an original 1931 Maltese Falcon poster.  Sniff sniff.  :'(

Harry.. is the above poster for Maltese Falcon, (or what remained) now THIS?? Certainly more than a few chips missing to the image and titles, if this is the restored copy. A beautiful restoration, in any case.   :o   thumbup

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:28:29 PM by Der Januskopf »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
I think the consensus is that there was a second copy or the pieces were removed from the back of whatever other one it was stuck to (likely the former though)
Chris

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Harry.. is the above poster for Maltese Falcon, (or what remained) now THIS?? Certainly more than a few chips missing to the image and titles, if this is the restored copy. A beautiful restoration, in any case.   :o   thumbup

From HA's description: Restoration has addressed pinholes, some tears and slight chipping in the image area, credits, and left border, and 1-3/4 " and 1" of missing white paper has been replace in the right and top border respectively.

Presumably this is a second copy buried in the middle of one of the stacks.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Oh for fucks sake... why don't we just get all these out here at once instead of torturing me  moron1

I count 23 including The Seas Beneath which is still to be listed.  That leaves what?  Probably 15 to 25 more?  Sigh.

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
So where are the Fox titles???