Author Topic: Media players. i.e. Apple tv  (Read 45133 times)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
Re: Media players. i.e. Apple tv
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2013, 07:44:31 PM »
I like what Steve has but with a backup option- as fallenangel1 says better to be ready.

All the movies I have backed up on my pc. Those on my pc I consider to be the master set and when any new movies come along, I bundle a group up and copy them over to the WDTV box

I quite like the set up I have which is a self contained system stowed away in my tv/hifi setup. The user can sit back with a remote flicking through the movies, reading about them, seeing moving ratings, and press play. Even watch the movie's trailer seamlessly through youtube on the telly.

With Chromecast (my limited knowledge):
- by the sound of it you need to also have running a pc or laptop or smart phone. Thats a big downer for me... I'm sick of switched on technology clutter!
- Also the annoying video stutter you will surely get with streaming wireless bluray quality movies, especially if your pc is thinking about something else at the same time.
- You need to first configure those devices (eg pc). ie use a specific browser plus install plugin(s). So is not an almost straight out of the box solution
- I assume there is no nice interface to navigate your media like movies and even read a bit about the movies
- but I do like that you will be able to easily show any web page on the tv, but not sure what real use that is though. I guess it pushes media to your tv rather than pulling it. I'm not interested in going over to the pc each time I want to adjust what I am watching on the telly though.
- to me the Chromecast thing seems like a toy for a pimply teenage geek with no money and a lot of patience, trying to tweak the best out of a cheap compromise!

I'm happy with my setup. I can also stream media wirelessly from the pc anyway if I want using the WDTV and can it both push or pull content to the tv from a pc, if I can figure it all out.