Author Topic: UK Customs  (Read 29183 times)

Offline ladeda

• Hobbyist
Re: UK Customs
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2015, 04:38:25 PM »
WoW  £300+ that must have been a heck of a poster.  Good that you find your posters within the EU. Shipping is cheaper too.

To be fair it was a combined package of 6 posters. Still, being hit with a £300+ customs invoice was enough to scare me off. crying

Offline monocle

• Hobbyist
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2015, 08:10:30 PM »
Problem solved! Which of us is going to volunteer to stop what they're doing this instant, and retrain as an affordable British poster restorer?
Nick
Utter gent.

Mirosae

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2015, 08:05:06 AM »
Below is the email I received from HMRC (UK tax Department) in relation to film posters..In case this is of any use to colleagues from the UK.

This explains why I was charged the reduced % VAT  few weeks ago. So the reduced rate still applies although ‘’posters’’ are explicitly mentioned under  ‘’standard i.e 20 % VAT’’.  It would seem appropriate checking with HRMC on a case by case basis before buying a poster from abroad.  

Hope this helps

---------------------------------------
Dear xxxx

Thank you for your query of xxxx

Most goods imported into the UK from outside the EU are subject to import duty and VAT.
In some cases a reduced amount of VAT can be applied. For more information in this regard please refer to our public notice no.7052, "Imports". It's available online at
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/vat-notice-702-imports
See paras.3.4 and 3.5 and section 11.

If the posters could be considered "collectors' pieces of..... historical .......interest" then the reduced rate could apply. See para. 11.3. For guidance as to whether the goods in question can be imported under tariff code 9705 00 00 you should contact our classification helpline on 03000 513777. They are open from 1pm to 5 pm Monday – Thursday, 1pm to 4.30 pm on Fridays.

Yours sincerely,

Xxxxx
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 08:05:39 AM by Mirosae »

Offline Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2015, 08:31:58 AM »
That's very interesting, thanks Rosa.

I've successfully been able to appeal for the 5% rate and get refunded for screen prints in the past, I wish I'd tried with other posters now!

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2015, 05:14:51 PM »
Yes, most interesting, but it also seems a chew on getting money back from them. I guess they just think if it's a couple of pounds people won't bother, but for a higher priced item, worth the chew.
It's more than a Hobby...