Author Topic: To Linenback or not? Issues (with pics)  (Read 10057 times)

Offline bigmike

• Collector
To Linenback or not? Issues (with pics)
« on: September 28, 2011, 07:38:43 PM »
Now, in your opinion. Should I linenback this poster. It will be framed. I really like it, however some will disagree, which is why I won't post the title or the other side. And its hard to come by. But the poster has issues when you flip it over.

It has mold issues which you can see. Should I get it linenbacked, will it help it?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 07:39:54 PM by bigmike »

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
Re: To Linenback or not? Issues (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 07:47:43 PM »
You should never base your decision on whether to buy/fix/etc your posters on what others think in terms of whether that particular poster is worth it to THEM. 

What it means to you is all that matters.
I've restored many posters which I would be hard pressed to sell for $10 because I love the poster and I want to enjoy it.

I assume the mold issue would be corrected with backing, but why not send an enquiry to a backer like Dario and get their advice on that particular issue.

If your chances of finding the poster in better condition are slim to none, and you love it, I would be getting it taken care of as the mold issue would only get worse I would assume.

Ves

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 07:51:28 PM »
Ya, that's what I meant.
I didn't know if the linenbacking would take care of the mold issue or not. Otherwise I am really considering it.
But I am glad to hear this comment "I've restored many posters which I would be hard pressed to sell for $10 because I love the poster and I want to enjoy it."
Some are cheap, but very hard to find sometimes.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 08:13:31 PM »
Come on!  Show us the front!  ;D

If you like, and the stains and mold bother you... just do it.  Unlike some other forms of poster damage, which people correct with backing mainly for aesthetic reasons... mold can spread and worsen over time.  When they linen back it they will give it a mild bleach bath to kill the mold spoors, then clean the dead stuff off the front.  A warning though... sometimes mold can stain the paper permanently.  The only way to fully correct that is to paint over it.  A lot of people have opinions about that...

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:05:38 PM »
 ;D I am afraid I can't do that sir.  So members don't puke on me. I mean you can pretty much make out the title if you look closely ;D But A lot will argue and say its not worth it.

I will wait 1 month to see if the poster pops up anywhere else. It has came up once before at emovieposter in 2005 and ended for 20 bucks I think.  But I shall see.

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 09:14:05 PM »
Now had you not pointed it out, I wouldn't have tried so hard to work it out.
Now that I have, opinion not changed.
Ves

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 09:17:07 PM »
haha, Did you figure it out?
Its a Foreign poster for it though.

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 09:21:13 PM »
Yep I did.
I do recall a seller being on ebay a while back from that part of the world, but I can't remember names or anything.

Ves

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 09:22:03 PM »
Ya, I think he stopped selling on Ebay and started a website instead. I had an email from him back not too long ago.
The shipping and handling was free, and very quick too.

I've actually bought 3 posters from him before, this one with the mold issues though.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 09:22:47 PM by bigmike »

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 09:32:29 PM »
Oh yes, I think I remember that.

At least you have a copy of the poster though...you can at least ask a few restorers for pricing quotes on the work so you know what you are up for.
That might help you with the decision...and unless he is swamped, Dario might be able to give you some advice on slowing the mould problem...he is a great guy, whom I've always found to be helpful.
Ves

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 09:34:56 PM »
Yup, Maybe I'll do that.
I was planning to send it to Dario in the first place because he is in Canada too. Which is good. Maybe I'll send him an email like you said.

Thanks for the chat and advice.
Mike

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 11:21:23 PM »
If it's hard to find, according to condition, I would not linenback it.  If folds bother you and you intend to put it up on the wall (really???), then do.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 12:48:20 AM »

This is a movie poster forum... you always have to show the poster! ;D

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 02:40:14 AM »
Now, if I broke into someone's house and saw that up on the wall, I'd go ahead and get the fuck outta there quick, fast, and in a hurry.  That's as good as a rottweiler!  Wicked stuff man!  I would have weighed in with my opinion earlier, but it is kind of important how much the rear defects show up front (much like women).  But, definitely don't give a shit about anyone's opinion on your taste of posters.  That's why its YOUR taste and not theirs.  I guess it all depends on what you can live with.........tough call.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 02:42:18 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 07:06:50 AM »
Ya, I was worried about the mold because it started to come through in a little spot. So I have to find a way to stop it, and figure linenbacking would get rid of it.
Otherwise, if there was no mold I would not linenback it.

Hahaha, you guys got it. That is the one.

Can't stop laughing at what Kovacs said. Maybe I'll get it linenbacked and framed right away, and post it at the entrance. Of course when family and the GF come over, take it down. ;D

No, but to me, that is what I like in the Hobby, I am mainly into it for the rare horror posters.
But I do not know that, I would have to keep putting it up and taking it down when company comes over. ;D And then putting it at the front entrance when I go to work ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 07:24:42 AM by bigmike »

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
Do what makes you happy.

Our opinion doesn't matter.

Unless you are talking French poster sizes, then you might get banned in using the wrong lingo...
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »

Unless you are talking French poster sizes, then you might get banned in using the wrong lingo...

He made me do it....
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 12:04:21 PM »
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »
Mike, You have been given some good advice from the other fellows, and I can only reiterate what's been said. Don't give dam what anyone say's, if you want to do it and are happy to spend the money, just do it.

As much as I am not a fan of backing it does have it's place, and the stains on yours say back it.  I'm getting another done myself for similar reasons, and will be sending it off this weekend. As I think it's obscure enough to warrant it.

Do post a before and after, and let us know who did the work....  
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 07:42:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.

Hahahaha, Wonka. I think I signed a letter before joining, that you can't say the G word around here.
So I'll stick by it ;D

If I get anyone to do the linenbacking, its gonna be Dario. I have sent him an email to say what he says.... Besides calling me a moron for wanting this poster backed. ;D haha, Just kidding.
I figure 2005 was the last listing, ended at 20 bucks. That was six years ago, Spend some to save the poor poster plus get to see what  a linenbacked poster is all about.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 07:43:44 PM by bigmike »

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 08:49:02 PM »
He made me do it....

I would comply but I keep forgetting how to spell affiches and when to use it and where to put it...

Even the guy calling his store by affiches uses French Grandde...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 07:35:05 PM »
Now, if I broke into someone's house and saw that up on the wall, I'd go ahead and get the fuck outta there quick, fast, and in a hurry.  That's as good as a rottweiler!  Wicked stuff man!  I would have weighed in with my opinion earlier, but it is kind of important how much the rear defects show up front (much like women).  But, definitely don't give a shit about anyone's opinion on your taste of posters.  That's why its YOUR taste and not theirs.  I guess it all depends on what you can live with.........tough call.

laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

Mike, that poster rocks!
Back that baby!

DreamWarrior

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 01:10:32 PM »
laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1 laugh1

Mike, that poster rocks!
Back that baby!

+1 Ted. If you don't back it Your soul will be torn apart!

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 10:10:14 AM »
Well guys, I have just sent her to a backer! The stain or mold, whatever it was, was coming through to the front. This will be my first poster backed. I haven't seen a linenbacked poster in person yet.
 Going to try out someone new. But will post pics when its done!

He was saying "linenback me now"
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 10:15:10 AM by bigmike »