Author Topic: Question about some 80's/90's rock stuff - those with a crystal ball please read  (Read 33904 times)

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Alright.  Over the weekend, I was thinking about getting rid of some of the clutter in my home, and thought about these collectibles.  After checking Ebay, some are commanding pretty high prices, so the question is, should I sell now, or wait and see if they continue to go up in value?  The greater question (for myself) is "do I want to part with them?" (which of course only I can answer), and some feedback from veterans may help me make a decision whether to keep or sell them.  For the record, don't worry, I won't go "on the hunt" if you suggest to sell them and a couple years from now they end up being worth a lot more.  So break out the tarot cards, crystal ball, or whatever is your preferred method of predicting the future, and please share your findings!

This joker is probably the best of the bunch.  A Metallica "the coffin" box set released in 1993 that I picked up brand new at the coolest record shop around my neck of the woods, actually an hour away from where I lived, and my folks were kind enough to haul me up there some times to check out all the stuff and pick up a few things.  Some debate about whether it was licensed or not, but regardless it is very cool, the best box set I've seen, and one sold recently about a year ago for $850.  That one was listed as being in "like new" condition and had everything it originally came with, and this one is missing a few things (a t-shirt, hat, a picture, and an envelope the pictures came in) but all the cool stuff (IMO) I still have - the CDs, a handmade skull, and some cards with very cool (possibly unique?) artwork - and are in great condition (other than the cases which have some minor blemishes.  It's actually on Ebay now, the only one of the bunch.

Some picture discs, they are vinyl records that can play but have a picture embedded in them.  Metallica Creeping Death and Jump in the Fire, and Nirvana Nevermind, and Danzig Mother I got signed in 1995 by Glenn Danzig, Eerie Von (bass), and Joey Castillo (the drummer who replaced Chuck Biscuits).  I saw them in concert that night, and Marilyn Manson and Korn opened for them.  Kick ass show.

A Metallica interview set of picture discs, that according to one guy is a bootleg.

Danzig How the Gods Kill LP that I got signed in 1995.  A few of these have sold on Ebay recently for between $150 - $200.

Here it is unfolded.  Classic artwork.

Metallica Whiplash LP and One 45.

A promo ad on card stock the size of an LP case called a "flat" I got signed by Rob Halford (of Fight at the time) and the other band members.  The writing is pretty funny on there.  I remember asking him to write something cool on it, and he said "like what?" I forgot what my exact reply was, but his choice words were "kill hate destroy!"  ;D  Fun times.  I'll probably keep this one just for the memory.

I have a few Megadeth LPs that I will take pictures of at some point.  Awesome artwork on those.  I also have a few other collectible rock items that I'll gather them at some point and take pictures of.  

Without further adieu, let the psychic predictions begin!!!!  :D  (or any thoughts/advice/etc.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:22:18 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Well, I decided to store my old rock stuff, and not sell it anytime soon.  My dad had quite a collection of Beatles records back in the day, and apparently on a whim he got rid of them when it was not the best time, as they would have been worth a lot more had he waited until they were "legendary status" or whatever, and also I remember when I was a kid wondering what records they were and what they sounded like.  I'm not saying Metallica and the other bands' collectibles are on the same level as the Beatles', but I have a feeling that my gear could increase more in value over time, and it also may be something friends or family may want to see first hand some day, which would probably be better than having a few bucks now.  And for all of you hawking the most awesome box set of all time that I had listed on Ebay, I removed it.  My very humble collection of rock stuff marks a fun time in my life, so I'll just bury them under some other pile of stuff and maybe one Christmas Day, I'll climb into a cold attic and accidentally lock myself in it and cry while I listen to the old Metallica CDs and records (a la Christmas Vacation).  ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:09:32 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Good for you, Brandon.
If you don't need to turn your goods into $, keep them in a safe place for the future.
The memories are priceless.

agentprovocateur

My very humble collection of rock stuff marks a fun time in my life, so I'll just bury them under some other pile of stuff and maybe one Christmas Day, I'll climb into a cold attic and accidentally lock myself in it and cry while I listen to the old Metallica CDs and records (a la Christmas Vacation). ;D

Neo great thread, ironically I got my parents to bring my old record and concert programme collections up this Christmas, I too was a crazy haired heavy/thrash/death metal head in the late 80s and 90s! I had the pleasure of seeing Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Kreator, Nuclear Assualt, Ozzy, Deep Purple, Gun & Roses, AC/DC, Alice Cooper and Iron Maiden in concert (to name a few!). I even kept all the ticket stubs for the concerts I went to, great places like The Hammersmith Odeon, The Astoria, Monsters of Rock (Donington) and the Reading Festival (25 Anniversary).

When I looked through everything there was some hilarious stuff, plus a few rarities, but unlike you nothing worth hundreds of dollars. I had a look on ebay for a couple of the records I found that I thought might be worth a few dollars, there was a Motorhead double LP in a leather sleave that goes for a few pounds, also a Guns & Roses picture disc, Deep Purple picture disc, Japanese Iron Maiden and Bon Jovi (Slippery When Wet!) imports with extra posters, magazines etc but nothing uber rare.

Probably the most interesting thing was a Whitesnake 'Ready An' Wiling' album signed on the front by David Coverdale, Jon Jones and Neil Murray (it was an incestuous business then and band members kept changing, think some of the guys were also in Black Sabbath and other great bands). My mum told me I bought it at a school car boot sale type thing for a few pounds (early teens!), and she also mentioned as soon as I bought it someone came up to me and offered more money for it, I supposedly politely refused ;D

Anyways, they're still out of storage so if anyone's interested in a few photos I can get my instamatic out.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Cool, AP.  Sounds like you have some classic metal stuff and I'd bet those were some great shows you saw back in the day.  I also have all the ticket stubs from when I was going to shows regularly for a few years.  Who knows what your stuff will be worth at some point in the future.  Motorhead is definitely still in the spotlight, with their new albums.  Some of the other bands you mentioned are also still popular.  The Iron Maiden art from back in the day was some of the best for that genre.

It would be cool to see some of that old school stuff, so break out the instamatic and share some pics for everyone's viewing pleasure.  8)

agentprovocateur

Just managed to photo my pile of progammes, will post my favourites large then a load montaged together...

Slayer 'South of Heaven Tour' progmamme, 22nd April 1988, Hammersmith Odeon

Bon Jovi 'Slippery When Wet Tour' progamme, 1986, Hammersmith Odeon

To say they're an eclectic mix of music, bands and styles is an understatement!

agentprovocateur

From top left, clockwise...
Ozzy Ozbourne 'Monsters of Rock' programme, 16th August 1986, Donington
Bon Jovi 'Monsters of Rock' programme, 22nd August 1987, Donington
Iron Maiden 'Monsters of Rock' programme, 20th August 1988, Donington
Alice Cooper '25th Reading Festival' programme, 25th August 1987, Reading

Deep Purple 'House of Blue Light Tour' progmamme, 3rd March 1987, Wembley Arena

The Monsters of Rock festival was amazing, can remember all three I went to perfectly.

agentprovocateur

Iron Maiden 'Somewhere on Tour' programme, 5th November 1986, Hammersmith Odeon

Iron Maiden 'Seventh Tour of a Seventh Tour' programme, 7th December 1988, Hammersmith Odeon

Iron Maiden had their character Eddie on everything, they even built huge sets on stage with a giant animated Eddie!

agentprovocateur

Metallica 'Damaged Justice' programme, 10th October 1988, Hammersmith Odeon

The other ones I've got are a couple of Magnum ones, Roger Waters (Radio KAOS), Whitesnake and Def Leopard (Hysteria).

Will get onto photographing some tickets and vinyl next!

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Very cool programs, AP.  thumbup
Last concert I went to was U2's ZOOROPA and nary a program for sale.
Do bands even sell them anymore or is it a dead industry?
Looking forward to seeing more.

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Great stuff, AP.  I can't believe I'm the first to mention liking the Bon Jovi program.  :D  Very nice.

The Iron Maiden programs are just what I was talking about, how the band has some of the best art for the genre.  Awesome.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 01:36:04 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
Very cool programs, AP.  thumbup
Last concert I went to was U2's ZOOROPA and nary a program for sale.
Do bands even sell them anymore or is it a dead industry?
Looking forward to seeing more.
I have a Springsteen program from 2000, but, for most of the shows that I attended, programs wouldn't have lasted 5 min into the opening set...

agentprovocateur

I remember going to concerts and there were no programmes Brude, I did have a quick look on ebay and noticed a few from Metallica and Iron Maiden that were only a couple of years old. I think I must have bought mine when the concert ended Archie... hence not being mashed into pulp!

Here's something to keep you all amused until I photo some tickets and vinyl... my old denim jackets!

This was my favourite, worn to most of the festivals and concerts, including hand painted band logos.

This was another one in much better nick, not sure why I painted a TMNT on it tho.

I was really pleased with this one (bless!), all hand painted and probably worn as my 'black tie' jacket!

eyeroll

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Those denims are the shit, AP.
I'll bet they'd fetch a hefty price at auction.
I used to hand paint GRATEFUL DEAD skulls, dancing bears, etc. on young ladies' jeans and jackets.
I always insisted that they wear 'em while I worked.
 wynk

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Cool work on those jackets.  I had a backpack with several patches on it, similar to those, back in the day.

You should join in on the fun, Ted, and post some pics of that groovy Grateful Dead stuff.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:24:49 PM by NeoLoco »

Offline stewart boyle

• Hoarder
As soon as I saw AP`s denims..A picture of Ted,on a Hog,with a bandana sprung to mind... ;D

Stew

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Cool work on those jackets.  I had a backpack with several patches on it, similar to those, back in the day.

You should join in on the fun, Ted, and post some pics of that groovy Grateful Dead stuff.

I wish I could. Most of my goods (except my posters and my kids) are in storage in Oregon, 3200 miles away.
There are probably a few pics of painted pants out there with my stash of concert programs.
I used to buy them faithfully. I have several of the WHO, QUEEN, FLOYD, YES, STONES, etc.
I was always a fiend for them there UK stadium shows.
It's about time I returned to the Left Coast and shipped all that junk back on the rails...maybe this summer.

I did just get a tattoo kit and am practicing on grapefruits...
I hear there's good money in buttock tats and tramp stamps.  Great canvas, too...  wynk

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
Well, you should get that stuff in storage before it gets damaged or get sick of paying the bills, and see it all go for sale on Storage Wars8)

Good for you for picking up tattooing, Ted.  I'd bet you can create some awesome skin art, considering your work on "regular" substrate.  After you get to some practicin' with the needle, maybe you can hook me up with a good tattoo.  I've been meaning to get inked, for about 10 years or so, and probably will at some point.  Of course, I wouldn't be an ideal candidate for ya, since I'm not a hot woman looking for a tramp stamp, but it would be cool if you could hook a brother up.  Now go on and get to work on them grapefruits.

Offline CJ138

• Collector
STORMTROOPERS OF DEATH!!!!
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

agentprovocateur

Haha you know them CJ! I found an old SOD back patch that'll I'll photograph in a bit.

Doubt if the denim (or programmes) would make anything Brude, had a quick look around and old Metal programmes go for £10-20'ish.

Neo, sorry for taking over your thread man... I'll ask a mod to move my posts to a new thread if you want this one cleaned up! But whilst I'm here I've just photographed most of my ticket stubs(!) if anyone's interested...

Ozzy Ozbourne 'Monsters of Rock' ticket stub, 16th August 1986, Donington

Megadeth 'Christmas on Earth' ticket, 13th December 1887, Leeds
This was one of the best concerts I went to, had to get a coach from London to Leeds for this, me and my mates moshed our way through Megadeth, Overkill, Nuclear Assault, Kreator, Cro-Mags, Laaz Rockit and Virus (Voivod were meant to play but were held up in Belgium). I took a few very bad photos during the concert and even managed to get Dave Mustaine's autograph afterwards (lead singer of Megadeth). I think the '4+4' story is similar to yours Neo, I asked him to write something cool and that's what he wrote, why a 4 of Clubs I have no idea!

Iron Maiden ticket stub, 5th November 1986, Hammersmith Odeon
-
Def Leppard ticket stub, 9th September 1987, Hammersmith Odeon
Guns N' Roses ticket stub, 8th October 1987, Hammersmith Odeon
Celtic Frost ticket stub, 31st October 1987, Hammersmith Odeon
-
Slayer 'South of Heaven' ticket stub, 20th September 1988, Hammersmith Odeon
Metallica ticket stub, 10th October 1988, Hammersmith Odeon
Iron Maiden 'Seventh Tour of a Seventh Tour' ticket stub, 7th December 1988, Hammersmith Odeon
-
Megadeth plus Sanctuary ticket stub, 18th May 1988, Hammersmith Odeon
Flotsam & Jetsam ticket stub, 1st June 1988, The Astoria
Exodus plus Laaz Rockit ticket stub, 3rd June 1988, The Astoria
Death Angel ticket stub, 22nd June 1988, Klub Foot

agentprovocateur

Deep Purple ticket stub, 3rd March 1987, Wembley Arena
Reading Festival '25th Anniversary' ticket stub, 25th August 1987, Reading
Guns N' Roses ticket stub, 31st August 1991, Wembley Stadium
-
Whitesnake ticket stub, 29th December 1987, Wembley Arena
AC/DC ticket stub, 12th March 1988, Wembley Arena

Iron Maiden 'Monsters of Rock' ticket stub, 20th August 1988, Donington

Ozzy Ozbourne ticket stub, 14th July 1989, Town & Country Club

agentprovocateur

Nuclear Assault ticket stub, 2nd March 1989, The Astoria

Kreator ticket stub, 23rd April 1989, The Astoria

Only some vinyl to go now, then I'll leave you in peace!

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
Cool thread! Thanks for sharing AP, those hand painted denim jackets are great!

I keep my old gig tickets and festival wristbands too (in a scrap book with stuff like plane ticket stubs and maps from countries I have visited etc), it's nice to look back and remember good times.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
Ticket stubs are priceless memories.
I'll have to dig mine out and add a stipulation to my will that they be placed in my breast pocket when I lay down for the big dirt nap.
Who knows, eh?

agentprovocateur

Tob, Brude, have agree there, for me all this stuff brings back great memories, quality music (well not all of it!) and very good friends.

Been a bit slack taking photos of the vinyl but just took a snap of the signed Whitesnake 'Ready An' Willing' album I found (story above somewhere!)...

Haven't got a clue if the signatures are legit:
David Coverdale (Deep Purple, Coverdale & Page, Whitesnake)
Jon Lord (Deep Purple, Whitesnake)
Neil Murray (Whitesnake, Black Sabbath)