Author Topic: Black Swan International Art Deco One Sheets  (Read 23501 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Black Swan International Art Deco One Sheets
« on: August 30, 2011, 07:58:54 PM »
A few months I purchased a set of double-sided Black Swan International Art Deco posters from a seller in Ireland for $200. I'm confident those posters are original for a number of reasons, including (1) the seller quickly ran out of stock and (2) they show no indicia of being repros (text sharp & clear, etc).

The supply of these posters has basically run out and only the questionable sellers have them.  I bought a Black Swan poster from Tom Loce (tloceposters) to compare mine and his.  Sure enough, his is a fake reprint, even though it advertised as an original.

The below pics are self-explanatory.  The digital repro exhibits typical fuzzy text, is slightly cropped at the top, and is slightly short horizontally. The colors are also noticeably different - brighter/lighter/more orange on the repro, darker (especially red and black) on original.

A comparison with an original was not necessary. By looking at the small text, any member of this forum would have instantly recognized that Loce's is a reprint.

These pictures are large (1500H x 900V), so max your window size to view.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:07:30 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Black Swan International Art Deco One Sheets
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:40:48 PM »
Another reason for EVERYONE on this forum to STAY AWAY from TOM LOCE.

The guy is a charlatan and a thief.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:56:14 PM »
Not my thing but nice and helpful work Mel.
Chris

Charlie

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 09:49:31 PM »
No way! It will be smaller and there will be noticeable quality difference in paper and perhaps image sharpness...

Are you gonna send it back?  One question I have is that the repro seems to have more image than the DS.  The moon is bigger, etc.  What would be interesting is to measure from a single point on the man to three or four star and see if the measurements are the same.  It may be that he used an image like this one:

Or that he stretched it.  The most interesting thing is that the DS trimmed some of the original image....  Why?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 10:25:27 PM »
Good catch, Charlie.  Yeah, Loce's "moon" is all screwy, it's been stretched somehow.  

By the way, mine is exactly the same as the one sold by Heritage a couple of months ago for crazy $$$$:

On the Heritage image, you can see the same cropping on the upper left - just a little black space exposed:

« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:33:24 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 11:14:12 PM »
To me, whoever bought it at that price is an ABSOLUTE MORON! 
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 11:55:49 PM »

Maybe it was Portman's baby daddy?
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 01:49:56 AM »

Who also happens to be very wealthy...
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 03:43:46 AM »
So I left appropriate feedback:

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:44:50 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 04:50:15 AM »
Good on you. For blatant fraud or stupidity more negs should go straight out. It takes 100 times longer to rectify the situation, than it took to purchase it - time I don't have. eg Work through the issues by convoluted emails, repacking it, driving out to the post office to send it, go to post office to collect a replacement maybe, and then maybe having to pay for return postage. Dealers who think all is wonderful again if they allow a disgrunted buyer to return goods, is sadly mistaken.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
My objective is to stop the sale of these Black Swan posters or at least dissuade others from getting ripped off. Getting a refund is secondary.

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 07:57:34 PM »
Great work on the authentication, Mel.  What's the deal with your negative feedback left for Mr. Loce being removed from ebay?

Charlie

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 08:07:04 PM »
Yeah where the hell is your feedback????

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 08:10:25 PM »
Who also happens to be very wealthy...

Rich people are usually extremely cheap and know what to buy and how to invest their money.  No, this buyer is an idiot.

T
My Personal Collection

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 08:13:35 PM »
As you will remember, Mel, he will likely threaten to sue you for libel. I'm sure you'll be able to handle that better than I could.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 08:30:28 PM »
It's bullshit.  The guy is a nobody.  He has no power whatsoever.  Plus, the entire community can vouch that he's a crook.  Plus, Mel is a lawyer.

T
My Personal Collection

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 08:34:06 PM »
As you will remember, Mel, he will likely threaten to sue you for libel. I'm sure you'll be able to handle that better than I could.

Anthony, don't worry about it.  A true statement is never libel.  I can handle anything he can throw at me.

I'm checking out why it was removed.  So far, I know that Loce called and had it removed for being "inappropriate."

Clearly, Ebay is going to side with a big $$$ seller, but we'll see what I can do.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 08:40:09 PM »
Anthony, don't worry about it.  A true statement is never libel.  I can handle anything he can throw at me.

I'm checking out why it was removed.  So far, I know that Loce called and had it removed for being "inappropriate."

Clearly, Ebay is going to side with a big $$$ seller, but we'll see what I can do.

I fail to see anything wrong with the feedback you left.

ebay shows us what they really are in pulling your feedback. I think we should take them at their word. They are scum.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 08:46:04 PM »
I called Ebay about it and they are investigating why the feedback was removed.  I'll let you know something as soon as I know something.

It was appropriate and factually correct.

I've also contacted some of the buyers of the Black Swans to let them know they may have purchased fakes, so things are going to get hot.

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 08:47:01 PM »
 thumbup pcorn

You go boy!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 08:53:07 PM »
Mel, you're a champ!
My Personal Collection

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 08:56:52 PM »
Don't forget about the Inception authentication you did, Mel. Double your evidence, double your argument! See, I could be a lawyer! Law works that way, right?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 08:57:18 PM by Disheveledamethyst »

Online Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 09:00:16 PM »
It is incredible how many items sold on ebay that are not authentic.  Time for someone to find a luck dragon and conquer "the nothing!"  :D  Good luck on your quest, Skywalker...errr...Mel.

Disheveledamethyst

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 09:08:03 PM »
It is incredible how many items sold on ebay that are not authentic.  Time for someone to find a luck dragon and conquer "the nothing!"  :D  Good luck on your quest, Skywalker...errr...Mel.

Quest?

YOU HAVE MY SWORD.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 09:10:03 PM »
Well, guys, I need more than luck. The only way to prove he's selling fakes is to buy one.  I blew $45 getting that Black Swan and probably will never get it back.  To help, you'll have to buy one of them and hit him with negative feedback IF it is fake.  It's obvious all his Black Swan single-sided posters are fake.  The rest, I don't know...