Author Topic: Does Writing on the Back of the Poster affect Value?  (Read 6193 times)

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
Does Writing on the Back of the Poster affect Value?
« on: August 15, 2011, 07:45:39 PM »
  In general how important is the back of the poster to a poster's value, and specifically the effect of writing?  

I have bought some posters where the sellers did not disclose that there was writing on the back.  Of course, no one sees the back of the poster when framed, so I would suspect the poster value would not be diminished greatly. I will say that all of the writing has been just the poster name in pencil or ink, but with no bleed through.

I do have one great Escape From New York that looks very minty, except for the green dot circle sticker on the back.  Is a small dot sticker something that would cause Bruce/Heritage to down grade the poster?

Thanks for your input,

Brian

« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 09:31:10 PM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Does Writing on the Back of the Poster effect Value?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:05:58 PM »
I don't think anything written on the back of a poster has any impact on the value of the poster AS LONG as it doesn't bleed thru.

90% of older posters have some sort of writing on the back, especially larger ones, so that you don't have to unfold them to find out what they are.  Who cares about the back?  I certainly don't.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »
I dislike ink on the back (other than the distributors movie title stamp). I collect the older, folded posters. When it comes to linen backing, the stamp can usually be sanded off (without tearing the paper) but pen ink sometimes seeps deeper, even not yet showing thru, and cant be sanded out. Then during the linen backing process the remaining ink can bleed thru and spread, which for me is very bad when it bleeds into a white area as trying to lighten a dark area (with pencils) is next to impossible, so I am as cautious as I can be when purchasing. So if I discover ink on the back that corresponds to a light area on the front I would be likely to not buy.

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 10:53:47 PM »
Same here, as long as it's not obnoxious.

I don't think anything written on the back of a poster has any impact on the value of the poster AS LONG as it doesn't bleed thru.

90% of older posters have some sort of writing on the back, especially larger ones, so that you don't have to unfold them to find out what they are.  Who cares about the back?  I certainly don't.

T
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Does Writing on the Back of the Poster affect Value?
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 11:02:55 PM »
You two have been agreeing far too much lately!
Chris

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:25:21 AM »
was there any writing on the front of the poster?
out of sight, out of mind!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 10:24:17 AM »

Cool Beans. Thanks for all the responses. I was so distraught when my "nm" Dirty Harry arrived and it had its name written twice on the back.  At least it had no pin holes...... :D

Brian
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 10:30:22 AM »
It's fine, Brian.  Even with pinholes, it's fine.  Personally, when it comes to pre 80s paper, I only have a problem with tears and missing pieces.  Especially on US posters.  Tears are expected on Italian posters, for example, since the paper used is more fragile.

Posters have lives.  I like to know that my poster was somewhat used.  Still in great condition, but showing a little bit of life.  A 40 year old poster should show some scars.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 12:59:02 PM »
My rules are: it can't bleed through (almost never), damage the paper on the back (almost never) or be over the top writing (sometimes).

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 01:54:33 PM »
I'm sure Dr Harry Caul could make a graph, but new (after the early 80's ) posters have to be mint/perfect condition, but as you go back in time, you can forgive more problems. For very scarce posters, even more forgiveness maybe be needed. So writing on the back, as said, as long as there is no bleed through all is well with the world. In fact I think it adds to the poster, it's all part of the poster, and sometimes Cinemas history...   
It's more than a Hobby...

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 06:15:04 PM »
90% of older posters have some sort of writing on the back, especially larger ones, so that you don't have to unfold them to find out what they are.

Like this?

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 07:24:01 PM »
I'd be happy to give him back his keys.  Heck for $100000 I'd be happy to buy him a whole new Ford pickup.
-Jay-

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 07:40:29 PM »
Well Jay, the poster is from "Altered states" so, talking in argentinean currency of the early 80s (a time with one of our most severe hyperinflations) those 100.000 would be something like 2.5 actual dollars... perhaps you could have bought a whole new Ford pickup keyring
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 03:04:27 PM »
Like this?

Hey Matias, do you still have this poster? Do you have a pic of the front? Would be cool to see.   :)

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 12:40:26 AM »
Writing on the back of older posters is an added perk, almost, imho. As has been touched on, it helps to show the "life" a poster has lived, and, as long as the writing hasn't seeped/leached/bled through to the front image, it shouldn't affect the poster's value in the least.

( Personally, I really like to see and discover writing or other marks on older, vintage posters).  thumbup

-Jeff

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 12:57:47 AM »
I agree with many here.  I like writing so long as it is unobtrusive and doesn't bleed through to the front.

I feel the same way about censor stamps, too. I like them as long as they are not stuck smack dab in the middle of the image of the lead actor's face.

It's cool to have some indication that a poster was actually used, and have that extra connection to the time when it was created.

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 05:15:25 AM »
I agree with many here.  I like writing so long as it is unobtrusive and doesn't bleed through to the front.

I feel the same way about censor stamps, too. I like them as long as they are not stuck smack dab in the middle of the image of the lead actor's face.

It's cool to have some indication that a poster was actually used, and have that extra connection to the time when it was created.

I agree about the censor stamps, they give a flavour of the time and place the poster came from. In fact, I like those posters (Belgian posters or US window cards, for example) where there is writing in the blank space at the top for the same reason, I don't necessarily see it as a defect or something that should detract from the value of the poster. In fact, it often gives it a bit of "character".

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 12:59:33 PM »
I agree about the censor stamps, they give a flavour of the time and place the poster came from. In fact, I like those posters (Belgian posters or US window cards, for example) where there is writing in the blank space at the top for the same reason, I don't necessarily see it as a defect or something that should detract from the value of the poster. In fact, it often gives it a bit of "character".

I'm also with you on this, too, martin. The writing (play dates, city, etc) that are written in the blank top border areas, that were meant to be written in  sure do add that extra historical element as well as showing that a certain WC was actually used and not just stored in a box or file somewhere. And unless the writing was down onto the artwork, I can't imagine that it would affect the value.

That's why when I've seen restored WC put up for auction with that top border airbrushed "clean" of any and all writing, it has made me think that a little bit of that item's history has also been scrubbed away, all to make it look fresh and new.

If 2 cards were in the same, good condition and one had writing and the other didnt, I would more than likely choose the one with the added, printed/written info.

-Jeff

Offline martinc

• Hobbyist
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 05:39:51 AM »

That's why when I've seen restored WC put up for auction with that top border airbrushed "clean" of any and all writing, it has made me think that a little bit of that item's history has also been scrubbed away, all to make it look fresh and new.

Yes, exactly, and just think of all those Belgian and US window cards where the top has simply been cut off for the same reason. Having said that, there are posters where the day and date of showing has been written across the main artwork rather than the blank heading and I can understand why potential buyers could object more to that.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 12:44:58 PM »
Yes, exactly, and just think of all those Belgian and US window cards where the top has simply been cut off for the same reason. Having said that, there are posters where the day and date of showing has been written across the main artwork rather than the blank heading and I can understand why potential buyers could object more to that.

For sure. I'd equate that with "damage." And if it was written with something that couldnt be removed, that card or poster might be deemed as pretty worthless, let alone not enjoyable, with scrawl going right over actors' faces, the title, credits etc.

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2017, 05:49:49 PM »
No go for me, as amusing as the writing sometimes is.