All Poster Forum Also visit the All Poster Blog
April 19, 2014, 10:10:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Italian Film Posters!  (Read 11235 times)
Starling
Curator

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2013, 01:16:28 PM »

Usually love Italian posters, but I thought this was a humorous misstep by Martinati:

The US OS being iconic and all:

Yikes!  Everyone has an off day:)

Starling
Curator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2013, 01:19:26 PM »

And a RARE misstep, I might add.  He is the master:)  And he totally redeems himself with this masterpiece:

erik1925
Global Moderator
Curator

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2013, 01:23:22 PM »

Usually love Italian posters, but I thought this was a humorous misstep by Martinati:

Yikes!  Everyone has an off day:)

I like the Martinati. Davis smiling and a gentler looking Paul Muni convey another feeling and emotion, IMO, plus he didnt just copy the US artwork verbatim.

I'll take it!   Grin

-Jeff
Starling
Curator

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2013, 01:28:15 PM »

Yeah, I can see that, but have you seen the movie?  The US OS so perfectly represents Davis' character!  The Italian is kind of off-putting to me.
It's a deal, you take the Italian, I will take the US OS Wink
Compromise is a beautiful thing!
erik1925
Global Moderator
Curator

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2013, 01:29:32 PM »

Yeah, I can see that, but have you seen the movie?  The US OS so perfectly represents Davis' character!  The Italian is kind of off-putting to me.
It's a deal, you take the Italian, I will take the US OS Wink
Compromise is a beautiful thing!

You have a deal.

Grin

-Jeff
Harry Caul
Curator

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2013, 03:27:44 PM »

My latest acquisition...

brude
Global Moderator
Curator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2013, 04:52:43 PM »

^ Schweeeeeet..

Ursula...be still my beating heart....

TheAnswerMVP2001
Curator

Just Mellin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: May 20, 2013, 02:03:09 AM »

Anyone know much about Italian 1-Sheets (which are basically the size of US 1-Sheets)?  I rarely see anyone posting them and I don't see too many for sale.  Were they printed in lower quantity than the normal sizes?
50s
Curator

Steve

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: May 20, 2013, 03:08:25 AM »

Anyone know much about Italian 1-Sheets (which are basically the size of US 1-Sheets)?  I rarely see anyone posting them and I don't see too many for sale.  Were they printed in lower quantity than the normal sizes?

You mean 1 Foglio (28" x 39") which is half the size of the poster shown above by harry which is a 2 Fogli (1 panel: 39" x 55")?

Nah, don't know sorry

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 03:10:05 AM by 50s » Logged

ORFEO
Collector

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 20, 2013, 06:04:37 AM »

Anyone know much about Italian 1-Sheets (which are basically the size of US 1-Sheets)?  I rarely see anyone posting them and I don't see too many for sale.  Were they printed in lower quantity than the normal sizes?

As far as I know italian 1sheet ( we call it "soggettone") was an integral part of a lobby cards set (in italian "set di fotobuste").
For each movie there usually were: one 4fogli, one 2fogli ( sometimes 2, A and B), one locandina and a set of fotobuste. The set was made up of 4/6/8  lobby cards and 1 ( sometimes 2 ) soggettone.
It was usually 2times folded to fit in the envelope containing the lobby cards (wich were folded in half).

About the print run I don't know.. surely we see a few on the market.
Mirosae
Curator

Mi vida es mia

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 20, 2013, 07:51:32 AM »

Very good question and I have also wondered that myself. I have been trying to get hold of several 1F rather than 2 or 4f BUT it seems that there are harder to get ..

Rosa
--------------------------------------------
There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.

Aristotle
TheAnswerMVP2001
Curator

Just Mellin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: May 20, 2013, 12:19:05 PM »

As far as I know italian 1sheet ( we call it "soggettone") was an integral part of a lobby cards set (in italian "set di fotobuste").
For each movie there usually were: one 4fogli, one 2fogli ( sometimes 2, A and B), one locandina and a set of fotobuste. The set was made up of 4/6/8  lobby cards and 1 ( sometimes 2 ) soggettone.
It was usually 2times folded to fit in the envelope containing the lobby cards (wich were folded in half).

About the print run I don't know.. surely we see a few on the market.

Great info. Thanks for sharing.  I've been able to pick up a couple 1F's this year and they really have some stellar artwork, just started wondering why I didn't see them as much.
Tang Lung in Rome
Curator

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 26, 2013, 11:05:43 AM »

Much lower quantities for italy 1shs it seems , I guess they thought bustas were more important to print in large quantities.
peckinpah
Curator

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2013, 04:13:29 AM »

Outside of Italy there is a lot of confusion when it comes to Italian '1-sh' posters. For us non-italians, 1-sheets are posters.  Since the Italian 1-sheet posters are called '2-foglio', many dealers and collectors think that the 'soggetone' is a '1-sheet' poster because it has that (approx.) US 1-sheet poster size. Of course it is not, it is a lobby card and part of the lobby card set - not a poster. Italian posters of '1-sheet' size just do not exist (pre-war maybe ? I'm not an expert on stuff printed before the 50s).
Not all 'photobusta' sets include 'soggetones'. It is very hard to find Italian pressbooks as reference, so it's not easy to know
when an Italian set is complete. The envelope often states the content of the sets though. The smallest set I have is EASY RIDER 70s re-release (set of 4), the one from 1969 had 10 bustas (no soggetone as far as I know). WILD BUNCH for instance is a set of 12 (no soggetone either). And ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST for instance is a special case: Set of 12 incl. 7 regular size bustas + 5 soggetone!
Collecting Italia is an adventure. And very worthwhile, beautiful stuff...
Some of my 2 / 4-foglios:

[/URL]
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 04:22:14 AM by peckinpah » Logged

50s
Curator

Steve

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2013, 04:28:48 AM »

Italy

Nice, I like the Italian posters... I am on the look out for a particular scifi space poster, hope to get it one day

Tang Lung in Rome
Curator

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 26, 2013, 02:29:52 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtv5gpUWD-E

June 20th : Great Escape is 50  Shocked

US premiere was (surprise , surprise) July 4th Wink
Mirosae
Curator

Mi vida es mia

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2014, 09:03:48 AM »

Great poster.  Is that yours Enki?  I like the original release as well...

Oh.. Ah.... OHAH...yes.. I can appreciate this one.

Rosa
--------------------------------------------
There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing.

Aristotle
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: