Author Topic: Fine or Graphic ??? Oh well heres a new one !!  (Read 43926 times)

Carson

Re: Fine or Graphic ??? Oh well heres a new one !!
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2010, 08:16:46 PM »
fallen,

Why do I get the sense that you have multiple hard drives cram-packed with pirated movies, software, pr0n and hentai?

Do you have any Tara McPherson prints? I have a few prints of hers as well. I tend to sample one, maybe two prints, from a good mix of artists then collect for those few I appreciate most.

guest8

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2010, 08:26:57 PM »
fallen,

Why do I get the sense that you have multiple hard drives cram-packed with pirated movies, software, pr0n and hentai?

Do you have any Tara McPherson prints? I have a few prints of hers as well. I tend to sample one, maybe two prints, from a good mix of artists then collect for those few artists I appreciate most.

LOL ... Movies .. I have about 2-3,000 including about 100 blurays.. Software whatever I need at the moment or things that come in handy at work .. No real collection of pr0n .. and I had to google what hentai even was ! :P

I looked at Tara's stuff, nice but not really my taste .. I like a little more realistic take on the people .. I think that why i like Ansins Alamo posters best... He shows the characters .. Not a cartoonization of them ..

Carson

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2010, 09:02:22 PM »
Yow! 2-3,000 physical DVDs or 2-3,000 archived DVDs on drives? That's a high count. Do you remember Geoffrey Paul? The kid had 7,000+ DVDs in his collection. That's as high as I've heard of, not counting Hugh Hefner.

I have to agree on Tara, I love her stuff but you're precisely right: her work is flat, very 2 dimensional, very "cartoon" which doesn't appeal to every one. Ansin and Stout are in a different league of talent in my view, even if they're less known than someone like Tara. From what I understand the art-world is a very "social" enviorn where being good at networking (or being as attractive/hot as Tara) can overshadow "talent" unfortunately but that's just "how it goes" with any commercial endeavor. We pay to see Scarlett Johanssen on screen, not Rosanne Bar. It's the unfortunate truth in many cases.

guest8

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2010, 09:34:28 PM »
Yow! 2-3,000 physical DVDs or 2-3,000 archived DVDs on drives? That's a high count. Do you remember Geoffrey Paul? The kid had 7,000+ DVDs in his collection. That's as high as I've heard of, not counting Hugh Hefner.

I built some shelves that hold about 1200 and its full (you can see it in the background of some of my pictures on photobucket) .. I have spools at least 400 visible to me right now sitting at my desk .. and a book of like 300 disc .. and 2TB on my new computer and 3.5TB on my file server.. mostly DVD's with BDs mixed in on the new computer. I went a lil crazy with it all when I 1st started .. Ive backed WAY off now .. I used to get a few DVDs a day if not more .. But now.. I just pick up a couple BDs every 2-3 weeks anymore .. I mean it was bound to happen .. I ran out of movies I wanted :P

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2010, 10:09:16 PM »
Id have around the same amount, plus VHS ontop, my wife is sick of the amount of space it takes, seems there are movies than you can watch in a lifetime, but some of us try
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2010, 01:00:25 AM »
QUIT BUYING MOVIES!

I was an early DVD adopter and spent close to 1K on my first player. I was part of the Jaboom/Freeride and all the others that allowed you to get basically free movies every week. Now I sit here looking at 1000 movies that I could never watch in my lifetime. Actually think about that, if you watched a move a night, it would take over 2 years to watch everything and you would not be able to watch anything new. How feasible is that! Add to that, streaming media and netflix, it just makes no sense unless you will watch something 4 or 5 times.

I am part of the purchased with good faith crowd as well, but it just makes no sense to buy a movie anymore. Just say no!

guest8

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2010, 06:58:07 AM »
You know I totally get what youre saying .. But there has been many times I have wanted to see an old flick but it wasnt available unless I paid $50 and ordered from Egypt :P .. So I got into this kick of hoarding films as a conservation effort ! LOL .. If a hoarder could ever justify something so perfectly that would be it. Im personally responsible for archiving all movies !! :P

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2010, 08:32:27 PM »
QUIT BUYING MOVIES!

I was an early DVD adopter and spent close to 1K on my first player. I was part of the Jaboom/Freeride and all the others that allowed you to get basically free movies every week. Now I sit here looking at 1000 movies that I could never watch in my lifetime. Actually think about that, if you watched a move a night, it would take over 2 years to watch everything and you would not be able to watch anything new. How feasible is that! Add to that, streaming media and netflix, it just makes no sense unless you will watch something 4 or 5 times.

I am part of the purchased with good faith crowd as well, but it just makes no sense to buy a movie anymore. Just say no!

and what % of your posters are on the wall? or ever will be?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2010, 09:49:44 PM »
If you are a movie collector so be it, but if you continue buying with the thought of re-watch, take note how many times in a year you actually watch a film more than once.

I just realized I was wasting my money, I used to buy several titles every week. Now I might buy 1 a month.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2010, 10:12:22 PM »

and what % of your posters are on the wall? or ever will be?

I see your point Ari.  And I agree that the illusion of DVD/Blu-ray/AppleTV/etc... buying, is that you are actually owning something of value.  You are not.  The true value would only be calculated something as something like the rental price+convenience of not renting+the number of re-watches.  99 times out of 100 that same movie will be re-released at a higher quality or in a different, more current format in the future.  "Collecting" and "DVD" should not really be used in the same sentence.... maybe horde is a better term (I'm guilty of this too by the way). 

However, if you are a poster collector, you are truly preserving material that might otherwise be lost.  That comparison might be too much of a stretch...

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2010, 10:33:25 PM »
In an attempt to bring this thread back to posters, here's a few 'good girls' from Adam Hughes.  He autographed ('AH!') both in the lower left...

nagamisan

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 11:53:05 AM »
Just picked these up .. 6-8 weeks shipping though !! :(

This is almost spank wall material .. Dont ya think Mel !!?  ;D

Congrats, I decided not to get them due to the significantly higher cost for Audrey's.
But it was driving me mad during the 1 hour edition period to stop myself from getting them.

guest8

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2010, 08:25:29 AM »
I just picked up one of these ... I cant wait to see it in person!!

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2010, 05:39:11 AM »
Some Ken Taylor goodness

The Pixies

St. Vincent variant

Swell Season

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2010, 07:33:54 AM »
Now THIS is what makes this forum great!  Exposure to artists that are new to me. I gotta get outta the cave more often.
These designs are fantastic, especially the owl and lantern....wow! Thanks, Schan.

guest8

« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2010, 07:06:34 PM »
Ive had this for a little while but just picked up a frame for it today ..

guest8

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2010, 08:26:06 PM »
Heres my Latest Graphic/Fine art purchase .. I have some others as well but Ive been behind on posting and picture taking as of late :)

Handiedan
"Valkyries No. 1"

6 Color Screen Print
Bright White 100 lb. Cougar Cover
Signed and Numbered

SIZE: 36 x 24 INCHES
EDITION: 100

Looks like theres still a few left if anyone is interested !! :)
http://phoneboothgallery.com/pbg/detail?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_2&products_id=99&artist=&num_prod=21

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 02:52:20 AM »
If you are a movie collector so be it, but if you continue buying with the thought of re-watch, take note how many times in a year you actually watch a film more than once.

I just realized I was wasting my money, I used to buy several titles every week. Now I might buy 1 a month.

I agree. My collection now contains over 7,500 dvds and about 1,000 blurays. I have decided to cut my collection down simply because I did not watch them enough. There are some that I know for a fact I only watched them once and they have been sitting ever since. I use to be the same way though. Every Tuesday I would go buy all the new releases. Now I am lucky if I buy one or two a month.