Author Topic: Spotlight Displays  (Read 169158 times)

guest4955

Re: Spotlight Displays
« Reply #175 on: July 27, 2017, 06:31:54 AM »
I and my assist David took 30 mins yesterday to assemble an Italian1P and French 1P:

Clip all corners together:

Lay down the overlays:

Voila:

Not shown: Both posters ripped 2-3 times and yours truly fixed them with acid-free tape...

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #176 on: July 27, 2017, 08:40:13 AM »
Wow Sundance, they look Great!!!! Thank you for posting!!!! Would like to use these pics to list the Standard Border French 1 P and the Italian 1 P on my site with your permission?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry
www.SpotlightDisplays.com

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #177 on: July 27, 2017, 08:46:16 AM »
I love the Repulsion.

Mark

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #178 on: July 27, 2017, 11:01:45 AM »
I love the Repulsion.

Mark

It's such a great poster.  One of my favs.

I wanted to pull mine out when Mel first posted his picture, but it's stuck at the bottom of a drawer.  Getting it out is easy, but putting all the posters back, one by one so they are perfectly aligned, is a bitch.  So it shall remain there unfortunately.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #179 on: July 27, 2017, 12:02:57 PM »
Oh Man, didn't catch that it was you Mel! Looks great!!!

Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

guest4955

« Reply #180 on: March 28, 2018, 10:47:53 PM »
So I ordered a second French one panel frame a few months ago from Robert/SD. As I recall, it was $150 shipped, 125cmx165cm, allowing 5cm extra both sides for breathing room beyond the standard 120cm x 160cm.

Not tough to rotate posters.

Find flat space, flip open, and remove:

New LB poster. Problem. Too big for frame.

Solution: Employ heavy-duty scissors to cut off half the excess linen all around poster:

Now fits:

Voila!

Bigger is better!

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #181 on: March 29, 2018, 07:42:14 AM »
Wow, that is a great poster Mel!!! Nice job cutting!!!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 08:49:19 AM by erik1925 »
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline syracuselaxfan

• Hobbyist
« Reply #182 on: January 26, 2019, 01:10:24 AM »

Not tough to rotate posters.

Find flat space, flip open, and remove:

Curious...if you lay these flat and place a poster in the snap frame, how do you rehang it on the wall? Does this size not get screwed directly into the wall like the 27"x 40" frames?
Chris S.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #183 on: January 26, 2019, 01:57:32 AM »
Curious...if you lay these flat and place a poster in the snap frame, how do you rehang it on the wall? Does this size not get screwed directly into the wall like the 27"x 40" frames?

Hi Syracuselaxfan,  Here's how I like to adapt Spotlight Displays' frames to make it easy for me to take down and switch posters: https://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,13134.msg233550.html#msg233550
Also, you could like it shows on their website change out posters while still mounted to the wall.  Okie

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #184 on: January 26, 2019, 08:56:44 AM »

Instructions taken directly from the Spotlight Displays website:  thumbsup.gif

http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/about-our-movie-poster-frames.html?

"Inserting Poster:

The easiest way to put a poster in the movie poster frame is to lay the back overlay on the ground. Place your poster on top of the overlay on the ground with the side of the poster you want displayed facing up. Now, take the top overlay and place it on top of the poster. Now you have the poster sandwiched between the two overlays. With all 4 sides of the movie poster frame in the open position, take the poster with the overlays on the front and back of the poster and place it in the movie frame. Being careful not to pinch your fingers, close the top part of the frame onto the poster. This will hold the poster in place. you can then close the sides and bottom of the frame."

-Jeff

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #185 on: January 26, 2019, 10:19:46 PM »
I prefer to screw the frame to the wall.  Anything up to a 1 sheet is easy to swap on the wall.  A larger size probably works better by swapping it flat.
-Jay-

Offline syracuselaxfan

• Hobbyist
« Reply #186 on: January 30, 2019, 08:33:51 PM »
Hi Syracuselaxfan,  Here's how I like to adapt Spotlight Displays' frames to make it easy for me to take down and switch posters: https://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,13134.msg233550.html#msg233550
Also, you could like it shows on their website change out posters while still mounted to the wall.  Okie

A "best of both worlds" option. Very nice. Is this how Mel hangs his frames?

Instructions taken directly from the Spotlight Displays website:  thumbsup.gif

http://www.spotlightdisplays.com/about-our-movie-poster-frames.html?

"Inserting Poster:

The easiest way to put a poster in the movie poster frame is to lay the back overlay on the ground. Place your poster on top of the overlay on the ground with the side of the poster you want displayed facing up. Now, take the top overlay and place it on top of the poster. Now you have the poster sandwiched between the two overlays. With all 4 sides of the movie poster frame in the open position, take the poster with the overlays on the front and back of the poster and place it in the movie frame. Being careful not to pinch your fingers, close the top part of the frame onto the poster. This will hold the poster in place. you can then close the sides and bottom of the frame."

I know that. I swap my 1 sheets in/out with this method all the time. The photos above show the whole frame laying flat on the floor. Once the poster is in the frame it can't be screwed into the wall, which is how the frames are designed to work, thus my question for Mel on how he hangs them.

I prefer to screw the frame to the wall.  Anything up to a 1 sheet is easy to swap on the wall.  A larger size probably works better by swapping it flat.

I do that too. For the larger sizes, if people place the poster in the snap frame while the whole frame lies flat (not just the overlays), then they must have a method (like okiehawker described) for hanging the frame on the wall that doesn't involve screwing the frame to the wall. Is there an alternative way to hang these frames or must some modification be made, again like okiehawker does?
Chris S.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #187 on: January 31, 2019, 02:07:26 PM »
I have built a couple of lightboxes from the spotlight frames.  In those the frame screws to the box and the box has holes in back to hang to wall.

I think the spotlight frame would need stiffening in order to keep it from falling apart when hanging.  A simple wood perimiter should be enouch and the upper end could be used as a cleat.
-Jay-

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #188 on: December 20, 2019, 03:04:34 PM »
Got a couple more frames in from Spotlight, a one sheet and 24x36, and played around with the three sheet frame a bit.
Don't think I will be going expensive framing route again...not really worth the cost or risks.
Huge thanks to Robert, another fantastic transaction with him and SD in every way.

Started with Empire in the 3sh slot, but recently switched to OG:

"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2019, 03:31:16 PM »
Looks great Ben - congrats!
Chris

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #190 on: December 20, 2019, 03:36:20 PM »
Thanks Chris...have a great Holiday  thumbsup.gif
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #191 on: December 20, 2019, 03:37:08 PM »
Wow Ben!!!! Your posters look Great!!!! Thank you very much!!!!!

Merry Christmas to you all here at APF!!!!! God Bless!!!!!
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #192 on: December 21, 2019, 01:01:41 AM »
Spotlight to the rescue again!  I like that white frame, Ben.  I usually get black, though that white frame is as pretty as Cousin Eddie's white shoe gift to Clark in Vacation. I'll have to try the white frame sometime.  Awesome!  Okie

Offline theegypt

• Beginner
« Reply #193 on: December 29, 2019, 05:17:01 PM »
looks great! I use spotlight for all of my posters and have been pleased with the results

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #194 on: December 29, 2019, 10:14:45 PM »
I just checked what Spotlight is.  Since I don't frame, I had no idea.

They say they do "Custom Size Cuts".  Is that what you did with the 3 sheets, or you wanted a large one just in case the next one doesn't fit?

Nice posters, btw.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #195 on: December 30, 2019, 12:57:23 AM »
I just checked what Spotlight is.  Since I don't frame, I had no idea.

They say they do "Custom Size Cuts".  Is that what you did with the 3 sheets, or you wanted a large one just in case the next one doesn't fit?

Nice posters, btw.

T

Hi T, I'll chime in.  I've had several custom sizes made by Spotlight Displays and they have worked great.  The largest I've had made are for three sheets and early German posters in the 33" x 55" range. I like to move my frames around and sometimes travel to display large posters, so I add some extra aluminum or wood support to Spotlight Displays larger than a one sheet.   If you mount to a wall as the frames are designed, you can store multiple posters in the same frame and switch them out.  Okie

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #196 on: December 30, 2019, 01:15:24 AM »
Interesting.  Thanks for that.  What do you mean, you travel to display large posters?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #197 on: December 30, 2019, 11:41:07 AM »
Hi T, I'll chime in.  I've had several custom sizes made by Spotlight Displays and they have worked great.  The largest I've had made are for three sheets and early German posters in the 33" x 55" range. I like to move my frames around and sometimes travel to display large posters, so I add some extra aluminum or wood support to Spotlight Displays larger than a one sheet.   If you mount to a wall as the frames are designed, you can store multiple posters in the same frame and switch them out.  Okie

I'm interested in displaying a couple 3 sheets (permitting my next home has a good space), and I'm curious how these work with posters in multiple pieces? Do you run into any issues with sections sliding down? Or are they tight enough to prevent that?
- Eric

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #198 on: December 30, 2019, 09:34:31 PM »
Interesting.  Thanks for that.  What do you mean, you travel to display large posters?

T

Hi T, Sometimes a couple of collecting buddies and I have hosted movie poster galleries and illustration art events at conventions over the years.  Okie

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #199 on: December 30, 2019, 09:42:45 PM »
I'm interested in displaying a couple 3 sheets (permitting my next home has a good space), and I'm curious how these work with posters in multiple pieces? Do you run into any issues with sections sliding down? Or are they tight enough to prevent that?

Hi Eric,

Most of the three sheets I have are 1940s and older and are  on linen. On loose three sheets, I personally put archival pressure tape to temporarily attach the sheets. Okie