Author Topic: Spotlight Displays  (Read 170717 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Spotlight Displays
« Reply #125 on: October 02, 2013, 08:05:45 PM »
Hey Jeff that is a great idea but I don't think that it would work. The beads don't have memory, they change color depending on the intensity of the light they receive at that moment. Once the light source is gone, the beads will be clear again.

Hey Robert.

I see what you mean.. then this test would have to be done in the course of one day/afternoon, in a room of yours where a combo of indirect sunlight and whatever indoor lighting you have, was kept on. That would take even less time. Try it for an hour, say 1-2 pm. Make sure same lights in that room also remain on, so it is a constant. A clear, sky day would be ideal. Again, the containers are not placed on s sunny windowsill but in the same spot you have a favorite poster hanging and on display.

Put the two containers on the same table in your poster room, next to each other, and then come back in an hour. See if either container has grown more vivid in color or if they are about the same.

Again, just a thought.  ;)

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #126 on: October 02, 2013, 08:52:53 PM »
Yay science!  I can't seem to get the video to load anymore?  Was it taken down?

I was also going to post something similar to Jeff!

From my initial viewing of the video the experiment appears slightly flawed.  To get a true comparison you would need to stop light penetrating the beads from all angles except from the overlay.  So they would need to be placed in a box or container with the only light coming through the overlay.  Three sides in darkness, one with light - just like the overlays would function in a frame...otherwise there is too much 'light pollution' coming at the beads outside the overlay. 
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #127 on: October 02, 2013, 08:57:29 PM »
Found it here, Chris:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ObNfxVRYsac" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ObNfxVRYsac</a>

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 08:58:27 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #128 on: October 02, 2013, 09:02:18 PM »
Hey Robert.

I see what you mean.. then this test would have to be done in the course of one day/afternoon, in a room of yours where a combo of indirect sunlight and whatever indoor lighting you have, was kept on. That would take even less time. Try it for an hour, say 1-2 pm. Make sure same lights in that room also remain on, so it is a constant. A clear, sky day would be ideal. Again, the containers are not placed on s sunny windowsill but in the same spot you have a favorite poster hanging and on display.

Put the two containers on the same table in your poster room, next to each other, and then come back in an hour. See if either container has grown more vivid in color or if they are about the same.

Again, just a thought.  ;)

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Maybe I am not understanding you or you me. Let's say that the beads are left in a room with light at a power of 10 for 1 hour, then you left the beads in the same room with the light still at a power of 10 for 5 hours. The color would be at the same intensity. If you dropped the light to a power of 2 for the next hour the color intensity of the beads would drop to what ever the intensity is for a power of 2 in about 5 mins.

They just show what ever the light power is, not the effect of the light power if that makes sense?
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry
www.SpotlightDisplays.com

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2013, 09:11:34 PM »
Yay science!  I can't seem to get the video to load anymore?  Was it taken down?

I was also going to post something similar to Jeff!

From my initial viewing of the video the experiment appears slightly flawed.  To get a true comparison you would need to stop light penetrating the beads from all angles except from the overlay.  So they would need to be placed in a box or container with the only light coming through the overlay.  Three sides in darkness, one with light - just like the overlays would function in a frame...otherwise there is too much 'light pollution' coming at the beads outside the overlay. 

Your point is well taken Chris. The light pollution from the sides really doesn't effect the beads. They only get a faint coloration from it. It is the direct sunlight that really powers them and the overlays covered that pretty well.

Indoor lighting really has minimal effect on the beads as well.

As I said it was impromptu. It would really be hard to get direct sunlight on the beads while in a shoebox but I will figure something out. The sun would have to be directly overhead for the shoebox to work.
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2013, 09:14:17 PM »
For some reason the video is not working. I will try and fix it now.
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2013, 09:17:07 PM »
Hopefully this works. Not sure what is going on with it:

Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2013, 09:19:47 PM »
Hi Jeff,

Maybe I am not understanding you or you me. Let's say that the beads are left in a room with light at a power of 10 for 1 hour, then you left the beads in the same room with the light still at a power of 10 for 5 hours. The color would be at the same intensity. If you dropped the light to a power of 2 for the next hour the color intensity of the beads would drop to what ever the intensity is for a power of 2 in about 5 mins.

They just show what ever the light power is, not the effect of the light power if that makes sense?

Hey Robert.

Put 10 beads is 2 bowls. Cover one bowl with a piece of your overlay, the other with a piece of the UV sheet you bought.

Place both bowls next to each other in your home in a spot that gets a good amount of indirect sunlight, for say, 10 min (as the beads seem to react very quickly to UV light).

Check them after 10 minutes to see if the colors of the beads in both bowls is about the same shade. Or has one turned a more deep color?

Sorry for any confusion.

Ps.. your video is embedded up above in a previous post i placed. ;)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 09:20:56 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2013, 09:29:58 PM »
Hey Robert.

Put 10 beads is 2 bowls. Cover one bowl with a piece of your overlay, the other with a piece of the UV sheet you bought.

Place both bowls next to each other in your home in a spot that gets a good amount of indirect sunlight, for say, 10 min (as the beads seem to react very quickly to UV light).

Check them after 10 minutes to see if the colors of the beads in both bowls is about the same shade. Or has one turned a more deep color?

Sorry for any confusion.

Ps.. your video is embedded up above in a previous post i placed. ;)

I gotcha now Jeff, makes sense to me now. My fault. Will give it a shot!
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2013, 09:51:05 PM »
Thanks Jeff...and Robert I know you're just taking a stab at it - just some suggestions to perhaps really get some visual results :)
Chris

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2013, 12:34:10 PM »
Here is a reply I got from the overlay Manufacturer:

PETG UV protection for poster graphics
PET/PETg is Polyethylene Terephthalate, its polymer type is thermoplastic. The processing is to modifiy the very dry PET granules with high moulding temperature.
Exposure to sunlight and some artificial lights can have adverse effects on the useful life of plastic products. UV radiation can break down the chemical bonds in a polymer. This process is called photodegradation and ultimately causes cracking, chalking, color changes and the loss of physical properties. To counteract the damaging effect of UV light, UV stabilizers are used to solve the degradation problems associated with exposure to sunlight. When stabilized with UV stabilizer, it has the least discoloration. UV stabilizer maintains the clear appearance of PET and PETG sheet during long-term weathering. The UV Absorbers improve the color stability and tensile properties when exposed to sunlight.
We can clearly say while UV Absorbers improve the color stability and tensile properties when exposed to sunlight and the PET/PETg protects the graphic/poster placed underneath from approx. 97% of UV damage.
But because this is a thin plastic product, it will not have the UV protective levels of a top line “Museum glass” Tru Vue” product:
http://www.tru-vue.com/products/museum-glass-anti-reflective This is the ultimate in UV protection, but is very expensive and is available in glass only. For example, a 24” x 36” Tru Vue museum glass costs $100 to $150 each.
UV protection is never 100%, so one must try to mount frames where direct sunlight will not hit -if there is a choice to mount away from direct sunlight. Make sure that it is clear that people don’t expect 100% protection for UV, more like 97%. The 3% means that some fading can still occur depending on the duration of exposure to UV (how many hours a day is poster exposed to sunlight and whether directly/indirectly). So, the rule of thumb is to mount posters away from sunlight or other bright light constantly hitting the image to minimize or eliminate the impact of UV using this UV protected PETG.
If a client is wanting to protect from UV damage to a high value poster, than we’d suggest either making sure it mounted away from any bright lighting, either sun or bulb lighting. Or, mounting the poster conventionally and using museum grade UV protective glass. The darker the mounting environment, the better protected against UV damage. That’s why museums always have subdued/low lighting.
Please use the above information to evaluate the best mounting location to avoid potential UV damage to graphics/poster.
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2013, 12:36:04 PM »
And an idea just came to me today that I should have thought about a long time ago. If you want more protection for your poster, order extra overlays. You can put more than one in front of your poster and it will surly protect it even more from UV light.
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2013, 12:40:58 PM »
And I have an announcement to make that has been a long time coming. We have now been able to lower our cost on shipping and I am passing it along. All orders under $100 use to ship for a $20 flat rate, it will now be $9.95 for Continental U.S. orders.

All orders over $100 still ship free!

Thanks!
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #138 on: October 07, 2013, 02:16:44 PM »
Thanks for continuing to research this Robert.

Sadly, I assume the $30 Canadian shipping still applies?  ;)
Chris

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #139 on: October 07, 2013, 07:47:00 PM »
Thanks for continuing to research this Robert.

Sadly, I assume the $30 Canadian shipping still applies?  ;)

Yes Chris unfortunately it does. It's actually $40 now as we have been shipping to Canada via FedEx, but you shouldn't get hit with any brokerage fees on your end.

It really all depends where in Canada people live. If the shipping is less then $40 we will refund. It fluctuates between $30 and $50

If it's over $40 I eat it.
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #140 on: October 15, 2013, 05:33:53 PM »
Hey guys, just did two short videos showing how you can store posters in our frames and UV protection from our overlays.

If you could pass these around I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2013, 07:18:39 PM »
The 2nd video is very cool.

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2013, 09:02:30 PM »
The 2nd video is very cool.

Yes and I see you took some steps to have the light enter mainly from one direction (although I am sure there is still some reflected light coming through the holes in the table underneath).  Dramatic change when the overlay is taken away...impressive!

Care to experiment in the same way with the Americanframe.com plexi??  ;)
Chris

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2013, 04:07:03 PM »
Hey guys, just did two short videos showing how you can store posters in our frames and UV protection from our overlays.

If you could pass these around I would appreciate it!

Thanks!

Hey Robert.

Just watched your first video, where you have a number of prints stored together in one frame. I noticed how flexible your overlay material is.

How thick (or thin) is the sheet, exactly?

Thanks.

Jeff

-Jeff

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2013, 04:22:39 PM »
Yes and I see you took some steps to have the light enter mainly from one direction (although I am sure there is still some reflected light coming through the holes in the table underneath).  Dramatic change when the overlay is taken away...impressive!

Care to experiment in the same way with the Americanframe.com plexi??  ;)

Hey Robert,

An interesting 2nd video, but the sunlight coming thru the slots in the underside of your table is also going to affect the color of those beads. Again, I would suggest taking a handful of those beads, putting them on 2 ceramic saucers--like a coffee saucer. Over one, put a piece of your overlay, over the second, a piece of the bought UV plexi. Do the prep in a dim / dark area, so the beads remain clear.

Put both saucers on a tray, covered with a piece of card to keep them in the dark. Carry the covered saucers and tray outside (since you seem to like to use sunlight as your light source), get your camera ready, start to film and then remove the card.

Each saucer is now equally exposed to sunlight for the same amount of time, and you can film both, side by side, to see if the beads react at the same rate? Or if one takes longer to turn color, etc.

And the dual reaction will be seen in the same shot, since you will frame it that way, when filming both dishes. Dont zoom in on either bowl, until the UV reaction is complete.

Again... just a thought of how to film this experiment, using both plexis in the same shot.

Good luck.

Jeff

-Jeff

guest8

« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »
 Jeff, youre killing me here!!!! deadhorse  ;D

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2013, 05:17:55 PM »
Hey guys, I appreciate all the reply's. I really have been doing this just to show that there is in fact uv protection from our overlays and to be as honest as I can with everyone. I knew there would be a little light coming from the bottom of the table but really didn't see the need to block it because you still can see the effect when the overlay is removed. If I did block the light from the bottom of the table the beads would only be a little lighter in color, nothing really would change as far as the effect goes when removing the overlay.

I use the sun because it has the most effect on the posters and the beads really do not change color from indoor lighting. So the effect of the demonstration wouldn't be that effective.

The overlays are .020

To Chris, the other overlay provides a little more protection due to its thickness. The other overlays are so much more expensive and I would put my overlays up against them any day at the same thickness. And they would be about $10 cheaper. You could buy extra overlays from us to make the same thickness of the other overlay and I would bet it would beat it in protection as just one of our overlays at .020 is pretty close.

Thanks again!
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2014, 02:31:21 AM »
Here are some posters in frames from Spotlight and boy do they look great. I will be buying more frames from Spotlight in the near future hopefully. But will buy from again that is for sure. I have many odd sized posters especially the Thai posters that I will need frames special cut.

Offline USMCSS

• Hobbyist
    • Movie Poster Frames
« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2014, 10:08:12 AM »
Very glad you are Happy with them Randy! Awesome Return of the Living Dead poster!

Thanks for posting!!!
Semper Fi,

Robert Perry

Offline rdavey26

• Hoarder
    • Randy's Movie Posterz
« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2014, 11:02:57 AM »
Thank you Robert. I will be ordering more special cut frames from you. I am hoping I can do so here soon.