Author Topic: Promotion of Forum  (Read 11584 times)

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
Promotion of Forum
« on: July 13, 2011, 11:57:31 AM »
In light of more reading on this forum, specifically Mel's topic "Promoting this website by adding P.S. to emails", I just want to say the following:

I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to promote this website, but ONLY if Holiday created some sort of reciprocal linking, which is a completely fair statement to make.
I know I'm not the only one who is of the same stance, and so I find it a real shame that the forum isn't being pushed because the amount of people I know, and others as well, is potentially great.

The forum doesn't have to follow the likes of MPF in paid advertising, instead approved reciprocal linking could be implemented.

My point is that for a poster forum that is now undeniably the best in terms of quality, there is a bit of stagnation going on.
The only way to grow is to promote, and the only way to promote is to be friends with everyone.

Where is the Facebook Page?
Where is the Twitter Page?
Where is the Google+ Page?
Where are the text links on this forum?

The above are just four of the reasons why MPF still achieves thousands more hits than this place.
It is something the powers at be should seriously consider looking at.

If you (Holiday or Thierry) do not have the time to implement things for the benefit of the forum (as you are both very busy people), then let someone else do it for you; someone who has already done it; someone who has the experience (I don't refer to myself here as I am too busy with my websites, but given the time I would help).

I know what some here say about the promotion of the forum, but this place needs to grow to better itself like all things.
People want to help.

Best,
Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
Re: Promotion of Forum
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 02:33:08 PM »
In my opinion, it's fine the way it is.  And I heard you can get nasty infections from "reciprocal linking"!
Chris

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 04:07:21 PM »
In my opinion, it's fine the way it is.  And I heard you can get nasty infections from "reciprocal linking"!

Like Syphilis?  :)
Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 04:25:44 PM »

+1

Said it once, will say it again. If promotion of this website is what people have in mind a reciprocal link would not be needed. When the desire is in fact to drive more traffic to their site, then a reciprocal is wanted.

This site is a non-profit site for the owners and thus a link to a retail site, in my opinion, should not be done. Social media ties, have at it, but link fest puke2

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 04:38:17 PM »
+1

Said it once, will say it again. If promotion of this website is what people have in mind a reciprocal link would not be needed. When the desire is in fact to drive more traffic to their site, then a reciprocal is wanted.

This site is a non-profit site for the owners and thus a link to a retail site, in my opinion, should not be done. Social media ties, have at it, but link fest puke2

clap clap clap

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 04:59:13 PM »
I would be MORE THAN HAPPY to promote this website, but ONLY if Holiday created some sort of reciprocal linking, which is a completely fair statement to make.

Not gonna happen.  Talk about your site as much as your little heart desires, as long as it is in the right section, add a link to your signature if you want, bold it even, but we will not link any website to the forum.  This is not MPF, we are not after making money.  This is a playground for collectors (and respectful dealers).

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline joneyyy

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 05:04:04 PM »
the facebook and twitter would take 1 min to set up

Bruce

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 08:09:48 PM »
Hey, I'm respectful!

Bruce

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 08:53:28 PM »
I think the social media avenue should be explored. 
Wouldn't hurt, right?

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 08:59:22 PM »
Not gonna happen.  Talk about your site as much as your little heart desires, as long as it is in the right section, add a link to your signature if you want, bold it even, but we will not link any website to the forum.  This is not MPF, we are not after making money.  This is a playground for collectors (and respectful dealers).

T

Good for you, sticking to your guns, do it however the ferq you want.
If members want to promote, go for it.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 07:33:01 AM »

T

Me thinks you took this a little personally, T ...
... You will notice I never mentioned you were wanting to make money.

Reciprocal linking does not involve cost.
It's a proven practice; one that works.

the facebook and twitter would take 1 min to set up

I think the social media avenue should be explored. 
Wouldn't hurt, right?

Both are right.
It is rather annoying knowing that this forum could be huge in that it could help a hell of a lot MORE people.
Whether or not you link to any website, your personal stance against NOT promoting the forum in an effective, safe way is disappointing; sorry, but it is!

Like Jonny and Ted said, social media needs to be explored.
You have a number of markets to tap into and it seems as though you are deliberately discounting them; for what reason I do not know.

Playground or no playground, to me it's as if you want to keep this place exclusive, and elitist almost ... a bit like MoPo ... especially with the way you accept and reject applying members ... I'll say it again, take a leaf out of MPF's book mate - as much as you don't like Andy, you have to admit he has it right.

Although, at the end of the day, I suppose wanting to help this forum comes with no reciprocal support, which is the wrong way to go about it.
Over and out on this issue (again!). Sometimes I forget why I even bother trying to help, when no help is actually wanted eyeroll

Best,
Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

Online kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 07:42:12 AM »
especially with the way you accept and reject applying members

Dude, Adam, if you saw how many emails that were coming in from spambots trying to gain entry, you would understand why they went to this.  I think they removed me from being able to approve or accept members a while ago, because I stopped getting the messages.  But it was a relief.  I always felt like i wasn't doing my part if I did not help whittle down the list.  There were 20-30 or so a day coming in.  Checking them on various resources would identify about 98% of them bots with only 1 or 2 "real" members applying in a week.  I think their intention was to reclaim some of their personal time and sanity while hopefully rejecting less of the people we want here, which is any real person with an interest in the hobby.
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline theartofmovieposters

• Collector
    • theartofmovieposters
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 08:25:10 AM »
I don't get why you need a reciprocal link if YOU want to promote this forum...
Ves

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 11:33:29 AM »
I don't get why you need a reciprocal link if YOU want to promote this forum...

Exactly.
Chris

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 11:44:32 AM »
Me thinks you took this a little personally, T ...

I am not taking it personally, Adam, I am just telling you, in plain English, that we will NOT do it.  Like Ves said, if you want to link us, do it, but we will not link you or anyone else.

Like Jonny and Ted said, social media needs to be explored.
You have a number of markets to tap into and it seems as though you are deliberately discounting them; for what reason I do not know.

I am not against it.  Let's see what Holiday has to say on the matter.

I'll say it again, take a leaf out of MPF's book mate - as much as you don't like Andy, you have to admit he has it right.

How is that, Adam.  Oh, you mean with 4-5 posts a day?  Yeah, he has it right for sure.  Good job, Neal, alienating everyone by turning a forum into a personal bank machine.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 12:03:52 PM »
I think the way things are now is terrific, a breath of fresh air. I don't like places with ads and annoying ad graphics, etc...

Adz if you want to support the site, then support the site. Tell people to come here.

The laid back attitude is why I come here, and as much as I think Chop-Top is out of his mind, the fact that the mods allow him to continually sass off keeps the first amendment alive and well on the APF. Kudos.
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 12:08:24 PM »
I think the way things are now is terrific, a breath of fresh air. I don't like places with ads and annoying ad graphics, etc...

Adz if you want to support the site, then support the site. Tell people to come here.

The laid back attitude is why I come here, and as much as I think Chop-Top is out of his mind, the fact that the mods allow him to continually sass off keeps the first amendment alive and well on the APF. Kudos.

Oh now you are just encouraging insolence! ;)
Chris

Offline Zorba

• Curator
  • Lets dance!
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 12:18:01 PM »

To that I say....

woohoo cheers

Offline paul waines

• Curator
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 12:59:48 PM »
And Seconded...

cheers
It's more than a Hobby...