Author Topic: I propose a new sub-forum: Movie Posters>Genres  (Read 33626 times)

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
Re: MOVED: I propose a new sub-forum: Movie Posters>Genres
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2011, 11:15:28 PM »
I dont think its a rule, but what people usually do in these types of threads, otherwise we could be here all day copying and pasting IMG Urls and might as well just list titles of movies. (maybe).

An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2011, 11:17:03 PM »
I dont think its a rule, but what people usually do in these types of threads, otherwise we could be here all day copying and pasting IMG Urls and might as well just list titles of movies. (maybe).

I've seen plenty of people post pictures of posters they don't have. I would wager to say everyone does it. Besides, there's already a separate forum just for showing off WHAT YOU OWN:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/board,4.0.html

Saying you have to post pictures of only what you own in other sub-forums is delusional at best.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:34:20 PM by Chop-Top »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2011, 12:36:28 AM »
I would say there's no "rule" per se, but I will also say that the assumption I made to this point is that, other than those in the unicorns thread, I figured the pics being posted were for posters that are owned.  Otherwise, we only have to go to impawards.com to see posters and throw them into this or that category. 

I guess putting it another way, what's the point of posting pictures of posters that you don't own?  It's like window shopping.  Dry humping.  Low Cal Sweetener.  Low fat cookies.  There's no payoff.

I'm not going to make a rule, and I don't presume to even have the right or power to make a rule like this.  But, I know I would consider the fact that if I started posting posters of things I don't own, I would expect that someone in the group is going to question just what the hell I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm sure this can be argued the other way.  At the least, postings by others of posters that caught their eye but that they do not own, may broaden my own collecting horizons to things I have not seen or considered before.

Idle thoughts and ruminations.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2011, 12:43:43 AM »
Oh, and creating the Genres subforum wasn't a matter of agreeing or disagreeing with anyone.  It was a good idea.  As a result,  not only did I move the threads that chop started, but I moved about 10 other existing threads to the new one.  As a result, General Discussion is opened up. The pinned topics were crowing out the regular topics.  Now, there are more regular topics showing, and I think that tends to promote more discussion.  I don't know about you, but I don't go past the first page of threads on a board.  Once they get to page 2 and on, they are mostly in oblivion until someone is bored and goes digging to revive one.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2011, 12:46:11 AM »
I've seen plenty of people post pictures of posters they don't have. I would wager to say everyone does it. Besides, there's already a separate forum just for showing off WHAT YOU OWN:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/board,4.0.html

Saying you have to post pictures of only what you own in other sub-forums is delusional at best.

I think it depends.
If theres a thread, say, ADVANCES (which there is), the First post, could just spend a few hours and get an example of all the advance posters ever, and paste the URLS, and thats the end of the thread, maybe he misses one or two. But thats all. OR its more fun, to see what Advances we own.
 But of courseif it comes up, likre...

"Hey thats a great poster, I do prefer the style B, wish I had one"

"Oh didnt know there was a style B"

"Yes it looks like this"
(Post borrowed image here)

But a thread like werewolves, theres no  fun (IMHO) in posting random pics from other sources, I want to see werewolves that live in forum friends homes.
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2011, 01:02:28 AM »

But a thread like werewolves, theres no  fun (IMHO) in posting random pics from other sources, I want to see werewolves that live in forum friends homes.

Yes, that's it.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
Re: I propose a new sub-forum: Movie Posters>Genres
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2011, 01:58:18 AM »
Peeepul....go to the Star Wars thread and start from the first post. Starting counting how many pictures were posted that weren't owned. When you get to 10 stop as there's no more need to discuss this.

Offline Ari

• Curator
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2011, 02:09:24 AM »
theres a difference between discussing a particular thing, like starwars as there as so many releases, dates, countries, oddities, fakes, etc etc. But yes in reality, why not look at the SW poster site?
An Error Has Occurred!

Offline Chop-Top

• Collector
    • My One Sheets
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2011, 02:42:47 AM »
theres a difference between discussing a particular thing, like starwars as there as so many releases, dates, countries, oddities, fakes, etc etc. But yes in reality, why not look at the SW poster site?

Fuck Yeah. Winning!

raulleaf

« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2011, 06:48:42 AM »

I posed this question once before because some posts did seem like "wow he has that, !baller!..."

My stance on this is:  

Only post what you own!

Unless a pic is needed to facilitate a discussion.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:23:24 PM by raulleaf »

tstatum

« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2011, 07:29:18 AM »
I'll have to agree with Raulleaf on this one.  My limited collection may not allow me to post picture on every genre topic, but it somehow seems misleading to post pictures that are not yours in one of these posts. In the least they should be stated as "not owned".

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2011, 09:13:44 AM »
I'll have to agree with Raulleaf on this one.  My limited collection may not allow me to post picture on every genre topic, but it somehow seems misleading to post pictures that are not yours in one of these posts. In the least they should be stated as "not owned".

sm1
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2011, 09:30:37 AM »
This thread has the potential of becoming the next APF World War.
I think that those with strong feelings should sit back, take a deep breath and re-consider their thoughts before their fingers hit the keyboard.
I consider APF members to be friends and -- while none of the tough veterans here need a white knight -- I take offense to the way they are being treated in this thread.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2011, 11:12:47 AM »
I think that those with strong feelings should sit back, take a deep breath and re-consider their thoughts before their fingers hit the keyboard.
I consider APF members to be friends and -- while none of the tough veterans here need a white knight -- I take offense to the way they are being treated in this thread.

Yep. Thank you for this, Ted. Maybe these words will be considered...probably not though.

"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2011, 11:23:14 AM »
I mqay be a newer member, but I am waiting for the discussion traffic to drop back to a more comfortable level.
-Jay-

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2011, 10:34:39 PM »
I mqay be a newer member, but I am waiting for the discussion traffic to drop back to a more comfortable level.

That's why I dropped all this shit into this off-topic forum.  No one needs to look here in order to enjoy the posters in the other threads.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2011, 11:44:52 PM »

I agree, hit the eject button. Winning