Author Topic: Recalled movie posters  (Read 74955 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Recalled movie posters
« on: July 08, 2011, 12:28:43 AM »
This subject has come up several times in various threads but I don't think there is a dedicated thread to it.

In any event, I've updated the Recalled Posters on MoviePosterCollectors.  Take a look and see if I've missed any significant ones or have any incorrect information.

Does anybody know why (or if) the Rocky Horror 10th Anniversary was recalled/withdrawn?

Also one seller is claiming that this Saving Private Ryan poster was recalled.  Is that correct and why?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:29:07 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline holiday

• Thierry's Nightmare a/k/a King Slut
  • Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
Re: Recalled movie posters
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 01:14:05 AM »
It's true that it was recalled, but I don't recall the circumstances.  I bought my copies from Dan Rickard, and I think I have the original recall letter from the studio.  For the life of me, though, I can't recall where it is.  I'll try and dig it up.

This subject has come up several times in various threads but I don't think there is a dedicated thread to it.

In any event, I've updated the Recalled Posters on MoviePosterCollectors.  Take a look and see if I've missed any significant ones or have any incorrect information.

Does anybody know why (or if) the Rocky Horror 10th Anniversary was recalled/withdrawn?

Also one seller is claiming that this Saving Private Ryan poster was recalled.  Is that correct and why?
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

"What happened to all the people?" Mystified MPF Member, February 20, 2010

"I actually quite like the name Peanut."  Andy Neal on MOPO, April 22, 2010

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:10:07 AM »

Yes.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 11:41:47 AM »
This one was pulled and retitled Gates of Hell after George Romero gave them some unwanted attention.

Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 01:56:15 PM »
The SAVING PRIVATE RYAN poster shown in that ebay ad is the DS International OS. 

Bruce last sold one in August 2010, for  $22.00.

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/14722233.html

Here is the copy Bruce last sold:

And here is the current ebay "recall" copy (they look identical, IMO; both are 27x40, contain the same text, lack a ratings box and NSS information, are DS and rolled.):

-Jeff

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 02:13:47 PM »
It's true that it was recalled, but I don't recall the circumstances.  I bought my copies from Dan Rickard, and I think I have the original recall letter from the studio.  For the life of me, though, I can't recall where it is.  I'll try and dig it up.

I can't put my hands on the recall notice, but as I think about it, I believe it was recalled because of a printing issue in the poster - the color in the original version was not correct.  I have both the recalled version and the final version and when I have a chance I'll pull them to find out what the story is.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Thierry:  Type the word APF on MPF and it spells: "Banned due to malicious unsolicited private message ".

Charlie to the guy who lost to EatBrie:  You just got "T-boned"!  Happens to the best of us...  Wait until you get "Holidazed"!

Thierry to Silhouette:  Please tell her it's a tiny part of my collection so she doesn't think I'm a total creep.  Oh wait, no, I am a total creep.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 03:03:03 PM »
Updates:

Rocky Horror: I always assumed that the Barbie Dolls were used without authorization. I Googled that and several other sellers, including Emovie, are saying or speculating that was the reason, so that's what I'll go with unless somebody says otherwise.

Predator 2: Someone wrote me and said it was withdrawn because the poster says "Christmas" but it was actually released in November, according to IMDB.

Last Castle: FoxNews on Sept 14, 2001, reported that Dreamworks withdrew it because the flag signalled distress, so that's what I'll go with.

Private Ryan: Hopefully it's something more interesting than coloration.  Not much of a story there. Gotta give the people bread and circuses....
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:05:10 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 03:19:44 PM »
Deer Hunter quad.....exclusive to U.K and Italy or did other countries have it as well ?

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 03:31:24 PM »
Harry Potter - this poster was supposedly recalled b/c Harry Potter 7 Part 1 was never released in 3d:

http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Harry-Potter-and-the-Deathly-Hallows-RECALLED-Movie-Poster/21738698
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 03:32:05 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »
Heres one I acquired recently - the withdrawn "Amex" style quad for The Great Rock 'N' Roll Swindle from thirty years ago. This is a stock photo. 

It's not hard to understand why American Express sued Virgin - the poster run was ordered to be destroyed and I believe Virgin had to also pay damages of £30,000. In case it's hard to read the three blocks of wording are headed The Artist (The Prostitute), The Business (The Swindle) and The Record Company (The Pimp).

Mark

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 08:11:06 PM »
Deer Hunter quad.....exclusive to U.K and Italy or did other countries have it as well ?

Argentina also that I know of.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline holiday

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
    • Two Parrots Gallery
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 10:24:11 PM »
Thierry might be able to dig up that information on private ryan.  He has some older printouts from Dan Rickard's old website, not the authentication one, when Dan used to sell a lot.
Best regards,

Holiday

Check out my new place!
Two Parrots Gallery

Offline archie leach

• Hoarder
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 10:52:57 PM »
The SAVING PRIVATE RYAN poster shown in that ebay ad is the DS International OS. 

Bruce last sold one in August 2010, for  $22.00.

And here is the current ebay "recall" copy (they look identical, IMO; both are 27x40, contain the same text, lack a ratings box and NSS information, are DS and rolled.):
This goes a little off-topic, but is a good thing to point out here.  Just because a poster doesn't have a ratings box or NSS does not make it an international version.  Usually, it just means that the film hasn't been rated by the MPAA by the time the posters get printed.

So for a standard Adv/Regular campaign, 99%+ of the time you will have some combination of the following:
1. Adv (no rating), Reg (rating) - the standard approach
2. Adv (rating), Reg (rating) - the MPAA got their grubby mitts on the flick well before release
3. Adv (no rating), Reg (no rating), Reg (rating) - a common occurrence for bigger pictures, meaning that the MPAA got the pic at the last minute (Indy Jones and the Chrystal Skull was like this)
4. Adv (no rating), Adv (rating), Reg (rating) - somewhat unusual in that the studios would normally just wait until printing the regular to add the rating, but if they are fixing anything else or printing another run on the poster they might as well throw it on.

All of these posters are U.S. posters and not 'internationals'.

The company/studio credits can be helpful in determining a true 'international'.  Though, I would guess that, at times, they are indistinguishable.

I don't have any particular info on the Saving Private Ryan, so I can't speak to that aspect of it.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 11:55:00 PM »
OK MPC is updated and corrected.  Still need to add:

Little Mermaid
Friday the 13th NY

NS4 has an old "Recalled" thread as well as - dare I utter the name! - MPF.

Offline 110x75

• Hoarder
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2011, 12:07:50 AM »
Argentina also that I know of.

Oh yes:

Matias
http://110x75.blogspot.com.ar/

IG: @cinepapelarchivo

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2011, 01:23:51 AM »
Thierry might be able to dig up that information on private ryan.  He has some older printouts from Dan Rickard's old website, not the authentication one, when Dan used to sell a lot.

I don't need to.  I worked at DreamWorks long enough.  Like you said, SPR was only reprinted because of a color scheme gone wrong.  It happens all the time.  Except this one was distributed, and then recalled.  Here are 2 other examples of mistakes caught before the posters were sent out...

The first poster was never distributed because Spielberg was afraid people would think Bana wanted to commit suicide.  So a tagline was added to explain what he was doing.

They added the lines to make it more videotapish and blurry.

These posters exist, I have them in my collection, but they were not released.  There are tons of other examples.  So the coloring scheme on SPR is nothing special.

T

My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 08:24:03 AM »

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 08:26:37 AM »
I would assume that one was recalled because, obese or not, 'ole Ronald is still a trademarked character.  And then there is the golden arches.  Correct?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:27:52 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2011, 08:30:26 AM »
Yes, I guess it was for brand infringement.

Mark
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:31:30 AM by marklawd »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2011, 08:34:19 AM »
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 08:34:41 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2011, 08:37:37 AM »

They added the lines to make it more videotapish and blurry.

These posters exist, I have them in my collection, but they were not released.  There are tons of other examples.  So the coloring scheme on SPR is nothing special.

T

This is really interesting info, T.
I -- for one -- would like to see more of the behind the scenes stuff.

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2011, 09:26:38 AM »
Posteritati says that "Supersize Me" was the Sundance poster.  What's the story?

I thought they had wanted to use that design for general distribution in the US after Sundance but couldn't - I know it was printed for use in Australia. I don't know enough about this so better leave it off your web page.

Mark

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2011, 10:13:44 AM »
The Potter Hallows was not recalled, but a second poster was shipped out shortly after with a please replace notice.

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 11:12:27 AM »
Need I say more?

« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:47:19 AM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 02:32:46 PM »
The studio recalled this poster after NYC claimed that the poster infringed its "I love NY" trademark:

good.  it looks like crap anyway.
Schan
My Poster Gallery