Author Topic: Any inexpensive ways to hang 6 sheet posters w/o a frame?  (Read 40105 times)

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
Any inexpensive ways to hang 6 sheet posters w/o a frame?
« on: June 26, 2011, 04:04:30 PM »
 I kind of like some of the bigger posters to make a dramatic effect.  However, framing costs seem to make 6 sheet posters or larger very expensive to display.  Are there any tricks of the trade to hanging large posters without breaking the bank?

Thanks,

Brian
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 04:05:20 PM by ATLfun »
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Any inexpensive ways to hang 6 sheet posters w/o a frame?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 04:20:20 PM »
Brian, try PosterHanger.com.  See this thread:

http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,445.0.html

I ordered the largest hanger to hang one of my six sheets, as pictured here.

Unfortunately, the hangers don't work as advertised, so be forewarned.  You have to tape the clips to the posters.

Bruce

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 04:34:54 PM »
If it's not very valuable, I highly recommend wallpapering it to the wall directly. It is an unique and dirt cheap way to display it and it will look great!

Bruce

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »
I recommend using pushpins or thumbtacks (presuming it isn't linenbacked)
no one will notice the difference and the tiny holes in the wall "self heal" with most drywall

note: large format posters look best when hung high on high walls. People with 14 foot walls who place them closer to the ceiling have the best displays as this is how such posters were generally viewed. I don't think I ever saw an "eye-level" 6 sheet at a theatre in my life.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 06:19:51 PM »
Second on mounting on high walls.  Unfortunately, we lost ours when we moved from Colorado.  My plan had been to get 4 81" rails from Grafik Dimensions, and place cut down 2 sheets of 4x8 plexi to 40x81.  Place them side by side, then insert poster.  Cut down 2 4x8 sheets of foam board and place them so seam is 90 degrees to plexi.  Mount by creating a "w" of the wire and then support the center back down to the bottom.  This would pull the edges in from the weight of hanging.  I have done similar things with 3 sheets with success.

Of course, it is all moot now that my new house has low ceilings.  I'm even having problems finding reasonable places to hang a single 3 sheet.
-Jay-

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 08:23:25 PM »

I was intriqued by a 24 sheet that I saw.  They must be relatively rare.  How often do they come up for sale in above average condition?
Of course, the downside is that one giant billboard poster steals the space fore 20 smaller posters. :-[
   "Please step away from the keyboard.  In my unsolicited opinion, you paid too much for your poster," said APF Price Police Officer Thierry.  

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 08:41:34 PM »
I pinned (clear pins) up a 6 sheet (linen backed) for a short while and reckon it looked great at eye level, though putting some furniture in front would be a bit sad if you had to.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 09:01:57 PM »

WOW, that looks great.  Now, that's what I am talking about!!!!  It would my nice to find a discounted linen backed 6 sheet.  I imagine they do hang better than non linen backed.  I would just hate to be the person to pay for the linen process.  I am sure that would run 500 plus. Man, that swamp poster looks good.

Brian

Bruce

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 09:32:29 PM »
Boy Brian, you are just a few weeks late! Look at these three I just auctioned, all classic titles, and all went for under the cost of linenbacking alone:

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/5812002.html

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/5834480.html

http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/archiveitem/12732982.html

Bruce

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 10:39:08 PM »
  Your right Bruce, that Ten Commandment would have really fit the bill. That was a really nice one. The others were good too.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:51:49 PM by ATLfun »

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 10:21:06 AM »
Question:
When you decide you want to put up a six sheet on the wall, what does your partner say (if you have one)?

I know my girl would be horrified at the very thought of it!

Best,
Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 10:53:42 AM »
  Married man here and all the baggage that comes with it.  Fortunately/Unfortunately, my wife has been out of town for almost six weeks so my venture into this hobby is still hidden.   8)

And, I plan to display the posters at my office only.  My office was part of a dairy warehouse in the 1940's, so I have 14 ft ceilings.  And my longest hallway is 30 feet long heading back to the restrooms.  I just thought it might be fun to have a couple of large dramatic posters on at least one wall.  Of course, my office vision is ever changing.

I am also starting to like 14x36. They measure up to chair rail height, and I think would work nicely to decorate the bottom of the wall, and would allow me to have a greater variety.  Also, they look to be less expensive than their big brothers.  I could see me purchasing a forbidden planet insert, but I don't think I could every justify the cost of a one sheet.

Brian
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 01:40:50 PM by ATLfun »

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 02:44:26 PM »
Question:  When you decide you want to put up a six sheet on the wall, what does your partner say (if you have one)?  I know my girl would be horrified at the very thought of it! Best, Ad

Yo, Bondboy, if you're going to post something other than "please buy my crap," try to be positive and helpful. 

Some people actually enjoy showing off their hard-earned and expensive posters rather than keeping them in tubes in the closet.  Many, many clients have come into my office and complimented my posters and it's a great conversation starter and will make Brian stand out from his competitors.  A six sheet is a jaw-dropper - you should definitely do it Brian!

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 03:44:46 PM »
Oh, Mel  nono

You have such a chip on your shoulder.

Not everything is about you.
I asked a genuine question, not even thinking about or relating to you.

You implied I was being negative and hurled yet MORE personal insults towards me.
You're not a very nice person, are you?

Where was I negative to Brian!?
I not once said he shouldn't buy a six sheet and put it on the wall.

All I said was my girl would be horrified at the thought of it ...
... And she would be!

Personally, I would do it.
Heck, I could do it if I really wanted to, but I don't wish to at the moment.

Christ, you really are clutching at straws.
Best wishes,
Adam

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 04:15:18 PM »
Where was I negative to Brian!? I not once said he shouldn't buy a six sheet and put it on the wall. All I said was my girl would be horrified at the thought of it ... And she would be!

The issue is how a client would perceive a six sheet posted at a professional business.  IMHO the right one would enhance his business, the wrong one would detract from it.  I've suggested to Brian that he post classier older posters at his business and avoid stuff like Pulp Fiction.  Even if Brian has a primary female clientele, they would like something like a six sheet for My Fair Lady.  And if they don't, what's wrong with them?

Offline AdamCarterJones

• Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 04:40:48 PM »
The issue is how a client would perceive a six sheet posted at a professional business.  IMHO the right one would enhance his business, the wrong one would detract from it.  I've suggested to Brian that he post classier older posters at his business and avoid stuff like Pulp Fiction.  Even if Brian has a primary female clientele, they would like something like a six sheet for My Fair Lady.  And if they don't, what's wrong with them?

Mate, why are you trying to explain your way out of it?
You messed up big time, again.
If the issue is about what you say, then where did the personal insults come from when what I said had nothing to do with you?

I've never said anything is wrong with any six sheet.
Yet again, unfortunately, you are proving to everyone your complete lack of remorse and acknowledgement of making a mistake.

Best,
Ad
Best wishes,
Adam

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 04:51:33 PM »
Yet again, unfortunately, you are proving to everyone your complete lack of remorse and acknowledgement of making a mistake.

Congrats, Bondboy, you've now converted yet another thread into a whiny, self-pitying, "apologize to me now" bleating.  Now why don't you go back to pimping your Bond watches and toy cars?

And by the way, Brian, women love the international Black Swan posters. Buy a set of them and display them as a group in your office.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 04:56:23 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 05:18:40 PM »
 Married man here and all the baggage that comes with it.  Fortunately/Unfortunately, my wife has been out of town for almost six weeks so my venture into this hobby is still hidden.   8)

And, I plan to display the posters at my office only.  My office was part of a dairy warehouse in the 1940's, so I have 14 ft ceilings.  And my longest hallway is 30 feet long heading back to the restrooms.  I just thought it might be fun to have a couple of large dramatic posters on at least one wall.  Of course, my office vision is ever changing.

I am also starting to like 14x36. They measure up to chair rail height, and I think would work nicely to decorate the bottom of the wall, and would allow me to have a greater variety.  Also, they look to be less expensive than their big brothers.  I could see me purchasing a forbidden planet insert, but I don't think I could every justify the cost of a one sheet.

Brian

I am looking forward to what you hang in that spacious office, Brian.
Be sure to take some pics and let us see how it turns out.

Offline ATLfun

• Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 06:22:02 PM »
 Brude, I hope to have one wall done by the end of July.  I have ordered twelve 27x40 from Hollywood Frames.  Keep in mind that not all 12 will not be super collector quality, most will be temp posters.

Yes, I would really like a set of the black swan advances.  Does anybody have a quality lead? I know tloce has some on ebay, but this forum has him labeled as sketchy.  Are there bootlegs of these advances?

Yes, Adam I did not take your post as a negative and yes, I appreciate the advice Mel has given me.  I have gone from Tomb Raiders, to now I find the french door singing in the rain posters to be really cool. Of course, I look forward to those linen back Star Wars posters Adam. Those puppies will have a special place in my office.  ;D

It is amazing how much my interests have started to crystallize over the last four weeks, what will the next a couple years hold for me?

Brian

« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 09:08:11 PM by ATLfun »

Offline CJ138

• Collector
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 08:36:44 PM »
I hate to pull rank on you two, ADZ and Mel, but I am with the poster forum police.  I am placing a two post restraining order on both of you.  Two other members must comment before you can respond to each other. Now, give each other $20 and put it on the Underhill account.
Lowering the brow of APF since 2010.

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 03:45:56 PM »
bump.

Let's see 6 sheet display solutions!
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 03:50:27 PM »
bump.

Let's see 6 sheet display solutions!

How about displaying each piece/sheet in a separate frame?  No one else is doing it and you can be known as Novelty Nellie
Chris

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 03:53:36 PM »
How about displaying each piece/sheet in a separate frame?  No one else is doing it and you can be known as Novelty Nellie

You laugh, but I think you've nailed it. Because done and hung properly that would be a very unique (and possibly) stunning way of doing it
David

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 03:57:39 PM »

Ha. I would rather swallow broken glass, to be honest.

Why is it so hard to get overlays or sheets of plexi in this size?
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 04:03:40 PM »
Ha. I would rather swallow broken glass, to be honest.

Why is it so hard to get overlays or sheets of plexi in this size?

Daybills don't cause such headaches; only balmy beaches and skimpy bikinis
Chris