Author Topic: Drew Struzan Collection  (Read 19134 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Drew Struzan Collection
« on: January 08, 2010, 07:57:11 PM »
I collect by theme.  Drew Struzan is one of them.  Since they look the same, I only listed US posters, not their foreign equivalent. 

I'm still missing a bunch, but I expect to get it all very soon.

T.

http://www.eatbrie.com/Struzan.html
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Drew Struzan Collection
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 08:43:09 PM »
I collect by theme.  Drew Struzan is one of them.
http://www.eatbrie.com/Struzan.html

Great stuff - his Blade Runner is the "sleeper" poster - really under-rated IMHO:

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 01:13:36 PM »
I agree.  I'm glad that they finally found a reason to use it, since it was rejected in 82.

Personally, Temple of Doom remains my favorite.

T.
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

movieposterodyssey

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 06:56:50 PM »
Awesome stuff,Thierry!!
Hard to pick a fav there's so many cool ones.

Anthony

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 11:05:43 PM »
Love his art, especially on Crystal Skull, Shawshank & The Evictors

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 07:11:37 AM »
Definitely one of the greatest modern poster artists.  There isnt a poor poster among the bunch.

My favorites have always been Return to Oz and Blade Runner.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 08:25:38 AM by kovacs01 »
Schan
Thanks.  You know what you did.
My Poster Gallery

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 10:19:49 AM »
I highly recommend his poster book also.

Lynn
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 10:31:16 AM »
Which one?  I have wanted to get that big hardback one, but it is kinda pricey.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 01:05:48 PM »
I don't know if any saw "The Mist" from 2007 (if not, watch the B&W version!), but there is a great homage to Struzen (and The Thing) in the first few minutes!  In fact, the whole scene is a great rant about the current state of movie posters and their devolution into today's photoshopped heads...

So wait, who did the original '82 art for Blade Runner?  I guess I had always assumed it was Struzen as it looked like his style...

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 01:27:51 PM »
John Alvin did the original didnt he.

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 01:53:24 PM »
That's right... I think I actually knew that.  Duh. 

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 05:38:51 PM »
I also have this late 70s piece.  Not a movie poster, but a commission to promote Manhattan Beach, CA, which is very close to me.  Drew's son is the kid fishing on the poster.  He's 42 now.  A pretty rare poster.

T.

My Personal Collection

Dr Hackenbush

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 05:48:28 PM »
That's absolutely gorgeous

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 04:59:58 AM »
That Manhattan Beach is very cool T!  I am sure there aren't too many of those floating around.

Harry, I loved that bit in The Mist.  I wonder if the idea for that came from Stephen King.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline supraman079

• Global Moderator
  • Collector
    • Supraman079's Poster Website
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 02:19:28 PM »
Yeah that Manhattan Beach is very nice poster.

Chad

Offline kovacs01

• Global Moderator
  • Hoarder
    • My Poster Gallery
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 09:17:47 AM »
I agree.  I'm glad that they finally found a reason to use it, since it was rejected in 82.

Personally, Temple of Doom remains my favorite.

T.

I might be wrong, and someone here might know the full story better than I do, but I dont think this was the exact poster that was rejected.  From what I understood, he had been looking at his original for 25+ years and deciding what he liked about it and what he would change.  When they asked him to do the final cut poster, he implemented those changes.
Schan
My Poster Gallery

Offline lynaron

• Collector
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 09:44:45 AM »
Which one?  I have wanted to get that big hardback one, but it is kinda pricey.

I wasn't aware there was more than one.  The one I have is a hardback but I wouldn't call it "big".  I got mine at a remainder/overstock bookstore, "Half Price Books", which is a small chain scattered throughout the US.  There are three outlets in Columbus, OH that I ransack every year during Cinevent :)  Sorry I can't be more specific, it, along with 99.9% of my collection is currently in storage.

Lynn
I'll raise a glass to the illusion but drink to the reality.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2010, 11:52:29 AM »
Hey, T, being the resident Struzan / Spielberg expert, have you ever seen this before?

I found it here...

http://www.movie-collection.com/movie/who-framed-roger-rabbit.html

Dread_Pirate_Mel

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2010, 06:36:41 PM »
Hey, T, being the resident Struzan / Spielberg expert, have you ever seen this before?
I found it here...

According to this website, the WFRR poster is an unused concept poster.  

Here it is on Struzan's site.  Very cool though.  

Here's another unused concept:

Update: Just looked through the site - you can learn a lot just meandering through it.  You can buy the original Blade Runner painting for a measly $150,000:

"I began working on this piece of art way back in 1982 when I was commissioned by the Studio to explore concepts for the poster. I did one color comprehensive originally and from that made a few alterations as requested by the Studio. In the end, they did not use my design so I never painted the finished illustration.  In 2001, when Ridley Scott was thinking of releasing a new director's version of the film, I was asked if my original sketch from '82 could be used on the cover. It turned out that this was Ridley's favorite artwork for his film. I went through the usual artist angst, rather than use a comprehensive for the cover, better to use finished art and if I'm going to paint the finish should it be the 20-year-old design or should it be updated. I decided on the latter. The DVD was produced at long last and this is now the cover (2007)."

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 07:03:25 PM by Dread_Pirate_Mel »

Cinemania UK

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2010, 12:12:32 PM »
hi folks im a huge fan of Struzans work.
i have the Hellboy comic con 1 sheets which i picked up from picturetrader a while back.
these are on a thicker paper and single sided non glossy

on mezcotoys website they had signed struzan hellboy 1sheets on thicker paper single sided but glossy,i wondered if anyone here had a comic con poster for authentication.

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2010, 11:01:47 PM »
Hey, Cinemania UK.  I have them.  Which film, first or second? 

Cinemania UK

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2010, 12:13:37 PM »
The 1st Hellboy
Though i love Struzans second one too,if anybody had a spare of the second one let me know please :)   

Cinemania UK

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 02:25:04 AM »
hi folks im a huge fan of Struzans work.
i have the Hellboy comic con 1 sheets which i picked up from picturetrader a while back.
these are on a thicker paper and single sided non glossy

on mezcotoys website they had signed struzan hellboy 1sheets on thicker paper single sided but glossy,i wondered if anyone here had a comic con poster for authentication.

any chance of a confirmation on the authenticity on the hellboy comic con poster

Offline brude

• Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 11:39:22 AM »
Hey, Cinemania. Here's what I know...and what I don't know.
The Hellboy II poster I have is single sided, non-glossy, and printed on very thick stock and -- it is numbered with what appears to be gold paint, not marker.  To the touch, you can feel that it is slightly raised on the poster's surface, not an imprint.  I did not buy it at the convention, but I did buy mine from a dealer I trust on Ebay at the time that it was released. It is not signed by Drew like the Star Wars 10th anniversary poster, which he both signed and numbered.  None of the editions of this poster that I have seen advertised claimed to have been signed by Drew, so I do not think that he numbered them. He might have signed some, but I have never seen one.
Hellboy I is a bit murkier. Mine is not as thick as Hellboy II but slightly thicker than a conventional one sheet, single-sided and non-glossy. My copy was bought about one year after the poster's initial release and I have never seen this version advertised as signed and/or numbered.  I have searched the internet for any reference to the existence of signed/numbered versions of this poster and have come up empty handed.
It might be possible that Mezco had some signed, but I would rather doubt it.
I hope this helps. If I can pull these posters for pics soon, I will do so and post.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 12:28:24 PM »
My Personal Collection