Author Topic: Dwight Cleveland is selling up..  (Read 22532 times)

Dread_Pirate_Mel

Re: Dwight Cleveland is selling up..
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2011, 08:22:48 PM »
So whatever happened with this?  I thought his site said "must be sold by July 1"?

Offline Silhouette

• Hoarder
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2012, 08:49:56 PM »
Just wondering the same thing...with the AUD$ worth a whole lot more than the USD$ at the moment looks like I can pick up a bargain...if he is up for a little negotiating... :)
David

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 02:41:34 PM »
I happened to come across this article from March 19, 2012, that was printed in the Bangor Daily News. Dwight Cleveland had 84 posters in the March 23-24th Heritage auction, too. Even tho this article is 3 months old, it is interesting to read that Cleveland may opt to sell parts of his collection piecemeal, if he cant find a buyer for the entire collection.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/19/living/devoted-movie-poster-collector-sees-an-art-form-waiting-to-be-discovered/

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 02:42:18 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline TheAnswerMVP2001

• Collector
  • Just Mellin'
    • Voluptuous Vinyl
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 06:17:14 PM »
What... no Italian Marisa Mell posters... what kind of collection is that!?!  ;D

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 03:43:11 PM »

Academy Announces Major Gift of Movie Posters

BEVERLY HILLS, CA – The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is pleased to announce that it has received a gift of 1,088 original movie posters from the golden age of Hollywood filmmaking.  The posters have been donated by Dwight Cleveland, a Chicago real estate developer, who has amassed one of the largest and most historically significant collections of movie posters in the world.

The donated posters document the studio era of “B” movie filmmaking in the first half of the 20th century and include examples from Twentieth Century-Fox.  A variety of genres are represented, including westerns, war films, musicals, biblical tales, and social problem films.

The gift, which will be housed in the Academy’s Margaret Herrick Library, fills some significant gaps in the Academy’s collection.  “B-movies tap into the public consciousness and provide rich fodder for better understanding the times,” said Margaret Herrick Library Director Linda Mehr.

Mr. Cleveland began collecting in 1977 while still in high school, inspired after seeing film posters in an art teacher’s classroom.  After moving to Los Angeles, Cleveland scoured the once-plentiful collector’s shops on Hollywood Boulevard for high-quality memorabilia.  He continues to collect today. 

“I really think that film posters are one of the very few truly indigenous art forms of our country,” Mr. Cleveland said.  “By making these gifts, I hope to excite an appreciation for the works themselves among members of the general public and also set a good example for other collectors.”

“Dwight’s collection was a dream to receive.  Not only was it very well organized, but the posters also were in excellent shape.  Our staff is fairly certain he was a librarian in another lifetime,” said Anne Coco, the Herrick’s graphic arts librarian.

The Cleveland collection has been meticulously cataloged, conserved and photographed.  Posters in the library’s collections are stored in climate-controlled vaults in Beverly Hills and may be accessed by filmmakers, historians, journalists, students and the general public.  They are frequently shown at the Academy’s own exhibitions and loaned to cultural institutions worldwide.

http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2013/20130129a.html

-Jeff

Offline Filmlobbycards

• Hobbyist
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 02:26:21 AM »
Well he sure as shit didn't sell the Marx Brothers Horse Feathers 3sheet for 10 grand at heritage..but I will give him 5 grand right now for it..in the "if you do the math" world that's only about a grand or so less than he woulda received minus buyer and seller premiums if the final total was $10,000.. And I will buy the beers!!
Tait

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 02:50:35 PM »
A more recent Chicago news interview (WGN) with Dwight Cleveland. Note at the end of the report how the reporter at the desk says, "some of these can sell for as much as a $1000.00 a piece."

I think he might be a little low.  ;)

https://screen.yahoo.com/chicago-man-owns-largest-movie-163036511.html

-Jeff

Offline jedgerley

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
  • edgeslenticulars@gmail.com
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2014, 03:03:53 PM »
he says the schindlers list poster is from the country of origin.......

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2014, 10:46:24 PM »
he says the schindlers list poster is from the country of origin.......

USA ?
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2014, 10:49:51 PM »
USA ?

Israel... so Cleveland thought....  :-\
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 11:07:20 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline Ari

• Curator
    • OFFALEATERS HOUSE OF THE DAMNED
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2014, 11:04:22 PM »
Oh.  Oops.
An Error Has Occurred!
You can't report your own post to the moderator, that doesn't make sense!

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2014, 03:40:52 AM »
Shouldn't this be in the dealer roundtable section?
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2014, 03:44:59 AM »
Yup.. makes sense.

This thread was created well before that sub-section existed.  ;)

-Jeff

Offline Movie Poster Exchange

• Hobbyist
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2014, 11:06:10 AM »
I'm saving my money for the Morrie Everett lobby card collection in the Profiles auction in October. 1 lot. Opening bid/reserve 5 million.

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2014, 03:56:01 PM »
I'm saving my money for the Morrie Everett lobby card collection in the Profiles auction in October. 1 lot. Opening bid/reserve 5 million.

Wow! He's selling out?

Offline Movie Poster Exchange

• Hobbyist
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2014, 04:07:57 PM »
Just his personal lobby card collection. He will still have his dealer inventory. Very odd auction format. What happens if there is no opening bid?

Offline Louie D.

• Hoarder
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2014, 12:47:29 AM »
Just his personal lobby card collection. He will still have his dealer inventory. Very odd auction format. What happens if there is no opening bid?

Damn, I had a lengthy convo with him at Cinefest a couple of years ago and he informed me he had a bunch of LC's which I would certainly love to own.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2015, 11:26:19 PM »
Seems Dwight Cleveland IS selling ...  :o

as posted to MOPO this afternoon:

World’s Largest and Most Diverse Film Poster Collection To Be Sold Individually At Auction
Vast Collection of Classic, Quirky and Hard-to-Find Movie Posters Available for Purchase

Starting on April 12th, the world’s largest collection of unique movie posters will be available for purchase, many for the first time in the US.

Each of the items will be auctioned now through June 15th by the premier on-line movie memorabilia site: www.emovieposter.com.

For over 39 years, film-lover Dwight M. Cleveland traveled around the world in search of rare movie posters. Cleveland says, “This collection comprises 20,000 posters from 58 countries and is sure to have something for everyone. These posters reflect decades of pop culture and Hollywood treasures. Unlike most collectors, I was drawn to the strong graphics of foreign posters. So, this archive reflects not only the way we see ourselves thought film, but how foreigners see us through film as well.”

With posters representing 115 years of film history and spanning every movie genre, this collection is the most comprehensive representation of the film industry that exists today. The posters span the globe, including famous American films as represented in Australia, India, Japan, Poland, England and more, allowing the buyer to compare and contrast film imagery across cultures.

Cleveland says, “The objective was trying to assemble as many posters from around the world from the most famous films of all time. Over half of them are from Academy Award Best Picture Winners, the American Film Institute Top-100 and Internet Movie Database Top-100 Films. Nearly every film nominated for any Academy Award is included. Many popular favorites and cult films are included as well.”

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 11:27:10 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Online 50s

• Curator
  • Steve
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2015, 12:02:30 AM »
Sounds like Bruce has hit the jackpot and HA gets a slap in the face. Good for Bruce  thumbsup.gif . I wonder if Bruce will now give up selling $3 posters
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 01:40:16 AM by 50s »

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2015, 12:15:58 AM »
I only hope that they're not all linenbacked like what Bruce is offering in his next 3 auctions, because I won't be purchasing much.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2015, 12:29:40 AM »
It will be interesting to see how many of the Cleveland Collection Dwight did back over the years.   hmmm.gif

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2015, 02:50:00 AM »
Interesting for many reasons.

1) Just fun to see how close to his $3.5 million value the collection sells for.
2) Bruce says there are 20,000 posters being auctioned, but the articles above say that he has 35,000 posters in his collection. What happened to the other 15,000?
3) How is this collection in any way larger than Morrie's collection where the goal was to have a piece of paper on very film ever made and has at a minimum 3x as many pieces
4) We know he already sold many pieces through Heritage, is he still holding some back?
5) Even though it says starting April 12, I'm pretty sure that many of the items Bruce sold in the last week or two are from Dwight's collection (like the Wolf Song lobby mentioned in an article above).

That said it will be exciting to see some of these pieces come up, the large Italian Casablanca, the War of the Worlds quad (I'll bid on that if it's nice), the Barn Dance poster and a few of the others should do well even if they fall short of their Heritage potential.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2015, 06:14:42 AM »
Sounds like Bruce has hit the jackpot and HA gets a slap in the face. Good for Bruce  thumbsup.gif . I wonder if Bruce will now give up selling $3 posters

Indeed, well done for Bruce.

This plus Morrie's collection auction in (from) June will be sure to make this an interesting year for collectors.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2015, 05:18:10 PM »
Indeed, well done for Bruce.

This plus Morrie's collection auction in (from) June will be sure to make this an interesting year for collectors.

Seems to be pretty smooth sailing on the "sell up" so far.

faint2.gif
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 05:18:31 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2015, 10:04:10 AM »
I guess we have seen now it wasn't a slap in the face to HA and that Bruce didn't get all of Dwight's collection (things like the Italian Casablanca and Swedish King Kong being in this latest HA auction).  I wonder what else he has held out?
Regardless, definitely a smart move to give the better items to Heritage.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:06:12 AM by crowzilla »
www.Kaijuposters.com