Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2791164 times)

Offline riley540

• Beginner
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10775 on: April 25, 2022, 01:56:49 PM »
Plenty of stuff I want, but my wallet says no!

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10776 on: April 25, 2022, 03:00:19 PM »
Just window shopping for me at these signature auctions.

Lovely pick ups, Antoine and T. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #10777 on: April 26, 2022, 11:24:26 AM »
I had a few I was watching but they all went higher than I was willing to pay. There were a few WTF moments though. Still not sure what to think about this one, Raiders 1sh went for $2160. Apparently one in March went for $2,760 as well.

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/movie-posters/adventure/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-paramount-1981-rolled-near-mint-one-sheet-27-x-41-richard-amsel-artwork/a/7272-86833.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 11:26:24 AM by Undead »
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10778 on: April 26, 2022, 11:48:18 AM »
80s are on fire.  I think a Goonies went for $2k + as well, and not even the road map style.  Just the reg.  It’s so ridiculous.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10779 on: April 26, 2022, 02:33:07 PM »
Also, in the "what's wrong with people" category, I bought this guy at Emovie 2 weeks ago, folded and in "very good" condition, for $3,600, which I thought was a stretch, but I wanted it.  Two weeks later, a linenbacked version sells at HA for $7,800. 

That's a $4,200 linenbacking job.  WTF!!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline riley540

• Beginner
« Reply #10780 on: April 26, 2022, 08:24:53 PM »
Question for anyone-

I was looking at Heritage’s schedule for this year, and I don’t see a summer signature auction on the calendar. They do have a “spring showcase” and a “silent film poster” auction coming up. Are things changing at HA?

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10781 on: May 29, 2022, 07:45:32 AM »
not a poster (or a sale) but might be of interest -->gingham
will this be a no win no fee thing as chance of winning seems zeroish ???
bonhams also sold other dress seven years ago -->link

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10782 on: June 09, 2022, 11:58:24 PM »
Omg, lots of deep pockets at Bruce’s auction today.  Good for him.  The market seems to grow and things get more expensive by the day.  It’s so hard to win anything nowadays.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10783 on: June 10, 2022, 04:55:34 AM »
Omg, lots of deep pockets at Bruce’s auction today.  Good for him.  The market seems to grow and things get more expensive by the day.  It’s so hard to win anything nowadays.

T

I feel the same in terms of finding it harder to win things at a price I'm happy with - I thought perhaps I was just being cheap, so good to hear others think this too! Perhaps I'm bidding pre-inflation prices...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10784 on: June 10, 2022, 01:56:38 PM »
I feel the same in terms of finding it harder to win things at a price I'm happy with - I thought perhaps I was just being cheap, so good to hear others think this too! Perhaps I'm bidding pre-inflation prices...

You know, it's funny, I took a gigantic hit on the stock market since the beginning of year, inflation, Ukraine and all, and I'm being much more cautious with my purchases, but I feel like I'm alone.  I see prices skyrocket on things that were a quarter of the price just 10 years earlier and I'm scratching my head.  I mean, people seem to have a lot of disposable income, which is good I guess, but it doesn't seem to follow the realities of the market and the world at large.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10785 on: June 10, 2022, 06:07:54 PM »
Thierry, I think the rise of collectibles (not only movie posters, but also comics and trading cards) these days is a direct result of the stock market tanking.  I see the exact same phenomenon with fine art auctions, where prices have exploded since the beginning of the pandemic.  A lot of people who used to invest their disposable income in stocks when the market was going strong have now turned to other forms of investment, from real estate to art and collectibles, because those currently offer better short-term returns.  It's not like there are a lot of different options when it comes to parking one's money. 

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10786 on: June 10, 2022, 07:19:56 PM »
I would agree with that, Antoine, but prices started going up a while back.  For sure more so now, but I'd say 5-6 years ago.  Probably at the beginning of Trump when people realized the world might be on its last leg haha.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline redman

• Collector

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10788 on: June 15, 2022, 04:58:11 PM »
They are last to jump on the bandwagon.
Goldin got over $34K for a Star Wars VHS back in February (cheap now?) https://goldin.co/item/1984-star-wars-first-print-sealed-vhs-tape-igs-mint-8-5-nm-7-5oeq5n?
and the market has been red-hot since then with several auction houses offering an assortment of items.
Have heard of a few private six-figure transactions, but we will see if this holds in the wake of the crypto-crash.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10789 on: October 28, 2022, 03:28:11 PM »
Great sale yesterday at Bruce's. 

For someone like me who owns a few prints, it's fun to see what people are willing to spend on them.  Jaws, $6,500????  Wow, I spent $60 on mine.  Same with all the others, Moss Star Wars ($4,700), Durieux Rear Window ($3,300), and all the rest.  It makes me feel rich, even if I know it is only temporary and prices will eventually go down.

T
My Personal Collection

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10790 on: October 28, 2022, 04:48:07 PM »
I was watching the auction, and I felt some of the results were lower than expected.
People found Durieux's Jaws and the premium items, but I think there were (relative) bargains to be had on some items.
I wasn't that motivated to buy to begin with, but I personally had trouble with the number of items (2500 prints) in the auction. I tried a few times to look at all the lots but couldn't get to the end. Maybe that is on me. Just seemed like a lot.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10791 on: October 28, 2022, 06:24:04 PM »
I agree that there were some good prices outside the top tier stuff. I bought a couple - would have bought more if the Ł/$ exchange rate wasn’t so painful.

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10792 on: October 28, 2022, 06:40:04 PM »
Most of the stuff I own is in the top tier, so I must have good taste hahaha.  Or maybe I'm just a freak.  Yeah, I'm a freak!

I don't think I have ever spent more than $200 on a print.  I bought a few on Ebay over the years, but no more than 10.  So it was a stretch for me to bid at this auction.  But I did and I won Moss' Evil Dead, one of a dozen prints I'm still looking for (prob in my top 3).  It didn't sell for as much as it has in the past, so I'm happy with it.  The other prints I want, most of them in that top tier, I will sadly never own.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10793 on: October 28, 2022, 07:43:21 PM »
I was watching the auction, and I felt some of the results were lower than expected.

Stop picking on Bruce.
Seriously though, with over 2,000 items in any auction, some will go high, some will go low, some will sell for what you thought they should.
Law of big numbers.

Movie posters still seems to be the one collectible hobby that has been unaffected by the huge upswing in prices the past two years.
Maybe we will see some of that spillover soon.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10794 on: October 30, 2022, 10:07:31 PM »
Tried on so many things today.  Missed on pretty much all of them.  Cat People, nope (which is okay since it was linenbacked), Jedi 24sht, nope :(… and others.  Seriously, there is so much money out there.  My wife and I spent the weekend with our kids at a nice hotel overlooking the ocean (like $1,000+ a night kind of place) and we were amazed at how many 20 something couples there were.  At the restaurants, in the pools with young kids.   Like I said, lots of dough out there.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10795 on: October 30, 2022, 10:52:51 PM »
My wife and I spent the weekend with our kids at a nice hotel overlooking the ocean (like $1,000+ a night kind of place) and we were amazed at how many 20 something couples there were.  At the restaurants, in the pools with young kids.   Like I said, lots of dough out there.

I guess they are spending it all on hotels and VHS tapes, 'cause it doesn't seem to be flowing into posters (which is fine of course, I picked up a an original 1954 B0 on Seven Samurai this weekend, for what seemed like a bargain, especially because of how cheap the yen is to the US dollar right now).

Hope you and the family had a nice getaway.  thumbsup.gif
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10796 on: October 31, 2022, 07:19:04 PM »
Hi T,

I think it was me, you, and Antoine there at the end on the Cat People one sheet, though the final bid went to another regular bidder on Bruce's auctions. I do have the Argentinean one sheet for Cat People, which I like as well.  Glad to hear you are getting time to enjoy life and family.  I've been surprisingly and quite wonderfully busy in my illustration and comic art collecting pursuits this past year, though did get a couple of posters that I'll post.  Okie

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10797 on: October 31, 2022, 07:24:22 PM »
Hey Okie, nice to hear from you, you kind of disappeared there for a while.

Yeah, I found myself bidding and not being completely happy because of the linen backing, which is why I dropped out quickly.  I really want this poster, but I want it folded.  You know how I feel about that awful linen backing.  I doubt I’ll ever own it folded, but one can dream.

T
My Personal Collection

Online Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10798 on: October 31, 2022, 08:18:21 PM »
Yes Okie, I did bid on Cat People as well, didn't realize you were after it too!  Like Thierry, I would much prefer to get a folded example, but since I have yet to come across a copy that's not linen backed, I decided to put in a bid in case it sold for a reasonable price.  I'm not too worked up over not winning it as a result, the search is still on for a folded version. 

I only got a couple of minor things in Bruce's sale, as there were way too many items on linen.  Fortunately, I already own the vast majority of those posters that were of interest to me anyway, aside from the elusive Val Lewton titles (Cat People and I Walked with a Zombie).

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10799 on: October 31, 2022, 08:27:51 PM »
Antioine: you have amazing taste!

T: I kind of fell off into a wonderful year buying and researching an amazing original illustration and comic art collection from an old, dear friend of mine.  I don't know that I'll ever get over it and I really never want to!  Something to talk about with drinks near the beach sometime...