Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2828423 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10550 on: November 22, 2020, 11:12:19 PM »
Thanks Thierry, I've been looking for it for a while as I'm a big fan of early Hammer paper.  It's the largest poster size for that title, and I think it will go well with my French 47 x 63 that has a similar composition but totally different feel by Guy Gerard Noel.

YES!!!!  I will tell you, owning those 8 posters was the first time I felt like a real collector.  I remember posting them with pride.  Oh, so young and innocent :)

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10551 on: November 23, 2020, 04:05:48 AM »
Did Heritage add a new policy to their major auctions? I had several things on my watch list. I had bid on my most-sought after poster during the pre-auction, THE HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL. The night before the auction,  I was top bidder with final amount (with fees) just over $2,000. The auction came up, I was ready, and...no one bid higher. Great! I was happy and so I didn't bid on anything else. Later that night, I checked what things went for and my HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL was no longer mine! What happened? Argh!!!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Unless I'm missing a trick, you are aware there is a Live auction after the previous few weeks of adding proxy bids?

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10552 on: November 23, 2020, 04:15:08 AM »
Unless I'm missing a trick, you are aware there is a Live auction after the previous few weeks of adding proxy bids?
Yes. I watched the live auction happen. No one bid during it, and it closed with a proxy bid from earlier. Someone must have outbid me beforehand and I just didn't notice.  I can't think of any other reason for explaining it.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline Ratzkywatzky

• Beginner
« Reply #10553 on: November 23, 2020, 11:22:53 PM »
Yes. I watched the live auction happen. No one bid during it, and it closed with a proxy bid from earlier. Someone must have outbid me beforehand and I just didn't notice.  I can't think of any other reason for explaining it.

Not sure how it is it characterized in the bid history, but you can place a bid after the pre-bidding ends but before the lot comes up for live bidding. Perhaps someone did this?

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10554 on: November 23, 2020, 11:52:40 PM »
Not sure how it is it characterized in the bid history, but you can place a bid after the pre-bidding ends but before the lot comes up for live bidding. Perhaps someone did this?

I have no idea. I just know I didn't get it when I was SURE I had. Oh well. I've let it go. There will hopefully be another in my future (and hopefully a tad cheaper as well...)
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10555 on: November 24, 2020, 04:56:12 AM »
I have no idea. I just know I didn't get it when I was SURE I had. Oh well. I've let it go. There will hopefully be another in my future (and hopefully a tad cheaper as well...)

This is going to sound strange since I know Bruce gets the highest prices overall, blah blah - but emovie has never even gotten close to $2000 for a copy of this poster. The copy they had in the Halloween auction two weeks ago only went for $1300 and the one he had earlier in the year went for $1450 (which is the highest tehy've ever gotten for a copy). They seem to get at least one or two a year, so save yourself $700-800 or more(!) and get the next one Bruce has.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10556 on: November 24, 2020, 12:15:30 PM »
This is going to sound strange since I know Bruce gets the highest prices overall, blah blah - but emovie has never even gotten close to $2000 for a copy of this poster. The copy they had in the Halloween auction two weeks ago only went for $1300 and the one he had earlier in the year went for $1450 (which is the highest tehy've ever gotten for a copy). They seem to get at least one or two a year, so save yourself $700-800 or more(!) and get the next one Bruce has.

Hi. Thanks for the advice. I was watching the one in the Halloween sale, but wanted one in a little better condition. Believe me, if Bruce has had them up in the past and they were very good or better, I was bidding on it. But you are right. Emovie is usually less expensive (no buyer premiums) than HA.  I guess I just lost my head on the HA auction.  Thanks for "talking me down."

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10557 on: November 24, 2020, 03:23:00 PM »

Oops
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 03:24:32 PM by Monster_A_GoGo »

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10558 on: November 28, 2020, 03:12:24 PM »
As it might take a while until I receive the poster in the mail, here's a pic of that Italian Horror of Dracula I bought today at HA.

Amazing addition! congratulations.
- Eric

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10559 on: November 28, 2020, 03:18:33 PM »
YES!!!!  I will tell you, owning those 8 posters was the first time I felt like a real collector.  I remember posting them with pride.  Oh, so young and innocent :)

T

I would love to own any one of those. Someday....

I love collecting Hammer paper, but haven't pulled the trigger any anything that is actually rare.
- Eric

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10560 on: November 29, 2020, 05:31:54 AM »
I live in Windsor, UK.

Just around the corner, very literally, Bray Studios in undergoing a construction resurgence.  These same that used to be called Hammer Studios.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #10561 on: December 03, 2020, 02:10:15 PM »
wow.. so in other words, you can indeed shill bid on EMP auctions and the owner of the auction house is down with that.
what a load of two-faced bullshit after years of lying about other auction houses

From Bruce:

Before the auction closed, he emailed and said he would rather pay the commissions and get the poster back than have it sell for that amount.

No auction can stop this, because he could have instead easily had any friend bid "for him", and accomplish the same thing (and I am sure that happens a lot, especially in the vast majority of auctions that hide their bidder IDs). But because he is an honest and honorable man, he did it openly, with no subterfuge. However, he DID make a mistake in consigning the poster in the first place, when the rules were so clear.

He will get the poster back, but pay the full selling commission. And he will be told to never send any consignment again if he can't accept that it will sell to the highest bidder. If he can't accept that, he can't consign again.

Compare the above to other auctions that not only allow their consignors to bid on their own items, but also regularly make deals with them where on items they "buy back" they are charged greatly reduced commissions, and sometimes zero commissions. That is auction sanctioned shill bidding.

I want no consignors who can't accept the no reserve aspect of our auctions. That is why a number of people don't consign to us, and I am fine with that.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10562 on: December 08, 2020, 02:25:44 PM »
just seen that sotherbys had a sale last week. doesn't seem to be usual stupid prices with a fair bit unsold

^sold framed with resto to pinholes. must be a world record? awful film

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10563 on: December 08, 2020, 03:05:14 PM »
Do you have to include fees to the Vertigo poster?  Either ways, that’s prob the highest a poster that is worth $3k has ever sold for.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10564 on: December 08, 2020, 03:27:33 PM »
^fairly certain that those prices include BP

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10565 on: December 08, 2020, 04:10:25 PM »
To be honest, I'm not completely surprised that so many lots did not sell.  They're doing a crappy job at advertising their sales.  Now granted, I don't know shit about most sales going on, but they could have advertise on the many Star Wars sites, on this forum and others...  They do none of that.  Or maybe I didn't see it.  It may also be that people are coming to their senses and realizing that most posters are not worth that much.  Still, Vertigo at $27,000  Doh.gif Doh.gif Doh.gif

T
My Personal Collection

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #10566 on: December 09, 2020, 01:13:14 AM »
$10,000 for a gd Breakfast at Tiffany’s lobby card?

So...who from the forum is gonna try consigning to Sotheby’s?

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10567 on: December 09, 2020, 05:01:52 AM »
To be fair, they probably Are advertising their sales, but only to people with larger, wider and deeper pockets than the likes of us.

And even if they did advertise here, to what end?  We wouldn't buy.

The fact a few lots went unsold will probably be made up for in commissions from the lots that did sell.  And the remainder are kept for another day...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10568 on: December 09, 2020, 11:31:52 AM »
And even if they did advertise here, to what end?  We wouldn't buy.

Broad statement.  Honestly, if there was something that was rare enough and belonged in my collection, I would buy.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline DekeThornton

• Collector
« Reply #10569 on: December 28, 2020, 08:59:56 PM »
I saw this 1914 billboard (8-sheet) poster for "Panama and the Canal from an Aeroplane" up for auction a couple weeks ago.

The estimate was $1000-$1500 and I may have actually bid if it had stayed in that range.

Anyway, it went for $8k. Seems like if anything, the value could be higher if auctioned by a "higher tier" venue as there's crossover appeal to film and aviation collectors.

But I am mostly just impressed that a poster of this size survived in such condition from so long ago.

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10570 on: January 05, 2021, 12:19:05 AM »
Hi Deke, Thanks for providing the image for the 1914 8 sheet Panama and the Canal from an Aeroplane.  It sure is nice and historic!  Really great to see. Okie

Offline Tang Lung in Rome

• Hoarder
« Reply #10571 on: January 10, 2021, 01:49:00 AM »
Congrats on ita Dracula '58 (only got upper half of it myself but it was a good deal since its super rare)

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10572 on: January 22, 2021, 02:53:18 PM »
emp did well with these commercial posters?

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10573 on: January 22, 2021, 04:19:11 PM »
I saw that.  I have no idea what these are and why people would spend more than $1 on them.  But then again, I don't have a single friend who understands why I collect movie posters.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10574 on: January 22, 2021, 08:59:53 PM »
These vintage Marvel black light posters have been very popular for awhile now, especially in nice condition like these are.  When I was young we tacked them to the wall multiple times, moved them around, passed them down to younger siblings, traded them for matchbox/hot wheels cars...  They got pretty beat up back then.  Nice condition ones like these are in demand.  Okie