Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2793854 times)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10500 on: June 23, 2020, 11:02:47 AM »
And then I try HA and can't win anything :(  It's amazing how much some crap poster sells for.  I tried to bid on the You Only Live Twice 6sht poster, I put $1,900 ($2,300 w/ BP), even though the last one sold for $1,400 in 2016, and got outbid.  Damn!!!  It's not even a nice poster.

I would argue that makes more sense than this Wonder Woman selling for $174 (the same week Bruce sells one for $17, and it's another one of those posters he has offered at least one of every month since the movie came out).

One the bright side, you can just think how much money you will save when Bruce offers another one for sale and you buy it there.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10501 on: September 13, 2020, 10:31:30 PM »
Those Heritage auctions really are a double edge sword (at least for me).  On the one hand, I can't afford anything, and on the other, my collection might be worth a little something.  I would hate to start collecting today.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10502 on: September 13, 2020, 10:36:50 PM »
I agree. Prices were nothing 10 years ago or so---at least nothing like they are now.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #10503 on: November 10, 2020, 11:01:58 PM »
https://youtu.be/9KzUcI6K2Fw

Did sumwahn grab a bargain or whet at emovies' Tuesday auction! I don't buy horror (except wahn... *giggle*) but I would have been seriously tempted to bid on the Son of Frankenstein 3-sheet had I known it would sell for less than $3,500. The bottom two thirds is what I'm interested in (just like real life).
Call me Tahmmie - everybody does...

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10504 on: November 11, 2020, 12:30:53 AM »
And here I thought Emovie always touts the fact that consignors can't bid on their own items.
Guess they changed that policy.  Who knows where the shills will come from now
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #10505 on: November 11, 2020, 01:35:02 AM »
https://youtu.be/1svA2sGhDEE

The consignor must have been a dahmmie because I would have taken it to $8000!   (Dohn geet any ideas, sillies. I place different values on everything and you may end up spending months to pay off an overpriced piece of paper just because you didn't want me to have it - which I still get a few months later... *giggle*)

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10506 on: November 11, 2020, 09:10:52 AM »
And here I thought Emovie always touts the fact that consignors can't bid on their own items.
Guess they changed that policy.  Who knows where the shills will come from now

It would interesting to know what is going on here?  Maybe this somehow wasn’t Jim’s copy?  Or when it was listed on eBay it was on consignment to Jim?

...Orrrrr it’s just Jim buying it back because the price didn’t spike 🧐
Chris

Offline descposter

• Hobbyist
    • eMoviePoster,com
« Reply #10507 on: November 11, 2020, 10:28:21 AM »
From Bruce:

Before the auction closed, he emailed and said he would rather pay the commissions and get the poster back than have it sell for that amount.

No auction can stop this, because he could have instead easily had any friend bid "for him", and accomplish the same thing (and I am sure that happens a lot, especially in the vast majority of auctions that hide their bidder IDs). But because he is an honest and honorable man, he did it openly, with no subterfuge. However, he DID make a mistake in consigning the poster in the first place, when the rules were so clear.

He will get the poster back, but pay the full selling commission. And he will be told to never send any consignment again if he can't accept that it will sell to the highest bidder. If he can't accept that, he can't consign again.

Compare the above to other auctions that not only allow their consignors to bid on their own items, but also regularly make deals with them where on items they "buy back" they are charged greatly reduced commissions, and sometimes zero commissions. That is auction sanctioned shill bidding.

I want no consignors who can't accept the no reserve aspect of our auctions. That is why a number of people don't consign to us, and I am fine with that.
We (eMoviePoster.com) hold 3,500 auctions every four weeks.
We have auctioned more movie paper for more money (in real sales) than any auction in the world.
We have the longest continuously running auctions of any auction, with over 1,775,000 to date from over 2,800 consignors.
See all of our current auctions in one gallery here: http://www.emovieposter.com/agallery/all.html

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10508 on: November 11, 2020, 12:24:36 PM »
Thank you for clarifying that Bruce.

now if you could just ask that Egyptian poster consignor what the deal is with all those posters
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10509 on: November 11, 2020, 01:51:03 PM »
This is interesting info about that Son of Frankenstein British 3S.  While I'm aware of its rarity, the fact that the whole top section is missing and has been (rather clumsily) reconstructed is the reason why I didn't bid on it, and I expect that this was the calculation that many potential buyers made too.  Therefore I'm not surprised by the disappointing result.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10510 on: November 11, 2020, 02:00:25 PM »
I agree.  The top part is just awful and I don’t understand why this poster is worth even 10% of what the seller bought it back for.  I mean, it’s missing the most important part of the poster and whoever painted it did a terrible job.  What’s the point of owning 2/3 of a poster when you know you’ll never find the missing 1/3?  It baffles me.

It reminds me of that Bean movie where Bean paints a face over Whistlers Mother.  It looks the same to me.

T
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 02:03:36 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10511 on: November 11, 2020, 02:17:32 PM »
I want no consignors who can't accept the no reserve aspect of our auctions. That is why a number of people don't consign to us, and I am fine with that.

Probably a number don't because you don't get the prices other venues do (see the James bond auction prices others have been pointing out), but that is an entirely different topic.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10512 on: November 11, 2020, 06:44:19 PM »
Thierry, when I firs saw that terrible likeness of Karloff in the reconstructed top half of the poster, it reminded me of that famous ill-advised attempt at "restoration" that some misguided old lady in the town of Borja (Spain) did to the face of Christ in an old church, lol.  To me, it looks that bad and amateurish. 

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #10513 on: November 12, 2020, 12:21:18 AM »
From Bruce:

Before the auction closed, he emailed and said he would rather pay the commissions and get the poster back than have it sell for that amount.

No auction can stop this, because he could have instead easily had any friend bid "for him", and accomplish the same thing (and I am sure that happens a lot, especially in the vast majority of auctions that hide their bidder IDs). But because he is an honest and honorable man, he did it openly, with no subterfuge. However, he DID make a mistake in consigning the poster in the first place, when the rules were so clear.

He will get the poster back, but pay the full selling commission. And he will be told to never send any consignment again if he can't accept that it will sell to the highest bidder. If he can't accept that, he can't consign again.

Compare the above to other auctions that not only allow their consignors to bid on their own items, but also regularly make deals with them where on items they "buy back" they are charged greatly reduced commissions, and sometimes zero commissions. That is auction sanctioned shill bidding.

https://youtu.be/D4tZRZSGxcE

You mean the Son of Frankenstein poster? I knew that price was too gewd to be true. What I mean is, I knew no seller would let it go for that. Some sellers/dealers get a misguided "six sense" whiff about certain items they own and expect (and demand) a bidding frenzy, primarily because what they have is unusual. Rare doesn't always mean $$$. Dealers have got to wake up and understand that. As for this poster, I did get excited about it and I've never seen the movie and don't like the franchise but I'm glad I didn't bid because I got the misguided six sense whiff. I also don't believe the consignor would let it go for $8000 (which would have been my maximum). Oh well, onto December's Meggie!

Offline DinDinTahm

• Beginner
« Reply #10514 on: November 12, 2020, 12:40:30 AM »
This is interesting info about that Son of Frankenstein British 3S.  While I'm aware of its rarity, the fact that the whole top section is missing and has been (rather clumsily) reconstructed is the reason why I didn't bid on it, and I expect that this was the calculation that many potential buyers made too.  Therefore I'm not surprised by the disappointing result.

https://youtu.be/PckcewAJIsg

You know, I disagree with you. The top third of the poster is a faithful reproduction of what it originally looked like, based on press material. Do I like the head? No, I think it's too small and weirdly positioned but this is what the original must have looked like based on press material. I think the new paper could have merged a little less conspicuously with the bottom two thirds but what was created looks like it was by the same hand. I've seen worse artwork by John Constable, Paul Cezanne, Paul Gauguin, Edward Hopper, David Hockney and particularly Jean-Michel Basquiat which are on par with that lady's attempt in Borja but sell for millions of dollars.

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10515 on: November 12, 2020, 10:23:13 AM »
https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2020/james-bond-film-posters

Dr No quad for £53k, otherwise currently going for £8k elsewhere. 

A Dr No b/w US press still (that I have amongst many others) that you can find for $30, went for £4410. 

You get the idea...

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10516 on: November 12, 2020, 10:30:10 AM »
A Dr No b/w US press still (that I have amongst many others) that you can find for $30, went for £4410. 
You get the idea...

Very cheap compared to the Goldfinger still.

It seems Christie's is for Bond prices what Heritage is for Casablanca. Just really mind-blowing
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10517 on: November 12, 2020, 10:46:23 AM »
They sold a Dr No quad for £87,500 last year, they must be slipping ;) Amazing results.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2019/original-film-posters-online/4d603f40-814c-4a80-8fb9-baf1812ee9f5

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #10518 on: November 12, 2020, 04:30:27 PM »
This one's brilliant. It's a printers proof but the color bar has been trimmed so it is 27x41.

Star Wars C Proof
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10519 on: November 13, 2020, 03:38:23 AM »
They sold a Dr No quad for £87,500 last year, they must be slipping ;) Amazing results.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2019/original-film-posters-online/4d603f40-814c-4a80-8fb9-baf1812ee9f5

£5292 for a No Time to Die quad.

Lot 152, a crappy commercial Octopussy poster worth, at best, £10, went for £1512.

Who are these people??

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #10520 on: November 13, 2020, 07:33:22 AM »
Who are these people??

Wealthy Christmas shoppers? A trusted seller offers instant gratification to demanding individuals not concerned about value. They'll get their posters safely and as quickly as they want.

Mark

Offline Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #10521 on: November 13, 2020, 07:48:43 AM »
Are they not being played by the auction house to some extent?  Why is that honey trap poster even there to begin with?   

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10522 on: November 13, 2020, 08:15:46 AM »
£5292 for a No Time to Die quad.

Wow. Does the date on that make it scarce amongst Bond completists? Or just the super rich enjoying themselves?
https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2020/james-bond-film-posters/no-time-to-die-2020-poster-british-advance-double

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10523 on: November 13, 2020, 10:58:08 AM »
Well now that the truth is out there that this still is more valuable than the quad, I will say that I have an extra one of these available and might even throw in a tenner and pay for postage both was if someone wants to do a trade.
https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2020/james-bond-film-posters/goldfinger-1964-original-photographic-production

www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10524 on: November 13, 2020, 06:55:39 PM »
1600 pounds for that Yamakatsu Octopussy really takes the cake!