Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2830347 times)

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10450 on: February 29, 2020, 03:44:20 PM »
What are the odds Grey bought it for an upcoming Heritage auction? £22k still seems kind of low to me for original art for such a iconic title...

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10451 on: February 29, 2020, 06:13:50 PM »
^buyer paid about 29K thumbup but i agree - maybe due to it not being country of origin ???. i think bigger crime is price ewbanks got for original hitchcock artwork

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10452 on: February 29, 2020, 06:33:02 PM »
^buyer paid about 29K thumbup but i agree - maybe due to it not being country of origin ???.

If it had been the Reynold Brown artwork it certainly would have gone much higher.
Agree that it still seems like a small deal, but not enough of one to flip at HA.
All in, in USD is close to $37K,  I think it would be hard to get more than 50ish out of it especially if the 3rd party photos of it are accurate as to its condition.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline wonka

• Hoarder
  • Reverend of the APF
« Reply #10453 on: March 01, 2020, 06:10:02 PM »
Yeah, Creature went so low because its a different artist redoing Reynold Brown. OG Brown stuff goes for an incredible amount more...
"Ben. His name is Ben. But he's a Celtic fan, so Asshole will do too." -Thierry

Quote from: MoviePosterBid.com
I was mistaken,

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10454 on: March 11, 2020, 11:25:06 PM »
Am I wrong or are the sale numbers at HA getting lower and lower?

I was looking at last week, and I see Matrix DS sell for $125, Lost World Lenticular $300, Rocky $125...  Seems low to me.

I know I'm not buying much from them right now, because I hate the new system.  Does anyone feel the same?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #10455 on: March 12, 2020, 06:42:50 AM »
Am I wrong or are the sale numbers at HA getting lower and lower?

I was looking at last week, and I see Matrix DS sell for $125, Lost World Lenticular $300, Rocky $125...  Seems low to me.

I know I'm not buying much from them right now, because I hate the new system.  Does anyone feel the same?

T

I haven't looked at the results but maybe it's something to do with the economy right now?

vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10456 on: March 12, 2020, 08:12:18 AM »
Yes, that is my thought. Look at the stock market....down due to panic about the Corona Virus. OR it could be that people are saving their pennies for the upcoming Signature Auction---and leaving the smaller auctions alone. 
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10457 on: March 12, 2020, 11:38:17 AM »
Obviously, poster buying is going to become completely obsolete as this thing drags on and people have other things to think about.  Like their jobs, food on the table and family.

This being said, I think a big part of the downturn is due to their new system.  I use to bid every week, and now I’ve only looked at it twice since the beginning of the year.  I don’t like the fact that i have to bid early to secure my spot, and then bid again when the auction goes on.  It was so much better before. 

It would be so much more interesting if Grey participated to the forum instead of bombarding us with ads.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10458 on: March 12, 2020, 05:19:48 PM »
It would be so much more interesting if Grey participated to the forum instead of bombarding us with ads.
T
Indeed.

But, participation would mean having to explain company policy over grading...!

And bearing in mind Bruce did, and then did Not participate, I guess we can see where that might go.

That said, I do bid on Heritage items, but I don't look at the ads...

Offline Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #10459 on: March 12, 2020, 05:27:12 PM »
T, I am also NOT a fan of the new system of bidding.  I also am no fan of the new payment options with PayPal not a choice.  But the pre-bidding to be able to bid in the post-bidding is ridiculous.
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline timelessmoviemagic

• Hobbyist
    • timelessmoviemagic
« Reply #10460 on: March 13, 2020, 04:03:47 PM »
The last time I bought off Heritage was 2 years ago.
Shipping is ridiculously expensive and the BP kills me.
vintage movie posters - http://www.timelessmoviemagic.co.uk/

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10461 on: March 13, 2020, 05:52:15 PM »
big money for tiny things

each made just shy of $3K (inc 18% BP), a couple of others made over 1K
the estimate for LAM was 5-10K so buyer is probably happy but i don't think you are getting much for that sort of money

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10462 on: March 14, 2020, 12:19:53 AM »
big money for tiny things

each made just shy of $3K (inc 18% BP), a couple of others made over 1K
the estimate for LAM was 5-10K so buyer is probably happy but i don't think you are getting much for that sort of money

I would sure enjoy seeing both slides projected onto the big screen!  Okie

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10463 on: March 14, 2020, 07:12:45 AM »

As does the Customs Tax for me.  Anything over $20 is subject to CT, plus an £8 handling charge.

Offline Undead

• Hoarder
    • Undead.net
« Reply #10464 on: March 14, 2020, 05:02:48 PM »

Agree with both you and T.

I normally would not have time to check or even think of it most weeks until that evening right before their internet bidding starts. The new policy has kept me from even bothering to look as a result.
Undead.net Coming Soon...ish to a nightmare near you!
Just bleach the bitch!

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #10465 on: March 20, 2020, 10:39:18 AM »
With you all, new system is terrible.  Plus every time I look at the BP on any site it makes me not want to buy there again.  Never made any sense to me that I get charged for giving them money.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10466 on: April 02, 2020, 07:00:50 AM »
Sotheby's had some lovely posters in their auction from a couple of weeks ago, including lots of signed posters. As per usual, some amazing results too! The Japanese press sheet for THE MILLIONAIRESS selling for £2750 raised an eyebrow for example.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2020/original-film-posters-online?locale=en

I know nothing about signatures. I seem to remember marklawd is partial to a director sig on a poster, did any of these pique your interest?

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #10467 on: April 02, 2020, 07:13:08 AM »
I'm sad I missed those Aussie Nightmare Before Christmas 1-Sheets. Still, I would have preferred them without the signature though!

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #10468 on: April 02, 2020, 02:59:13 PM »
Sotheby's had some lovely posters in their auction from a couple of weeks ago, including lots of signed posters. As per usual, some amazing results too! The Japanese press sheet for THE MILLIONAIRESS selling for £2750 raised an eyebrow for example.

My eyebrows were raised by the Stallone-signed Rocky one sheet that went for £17,500 ($21,450) plus buyers commission.

I know nothing about signatures. I seem to remember marklawd is partial to a director sig on a poster, did any of these pique your interest?

I can't imagine ever entering the parallel universe of Sothebys online auctions as a bidder but I could imagine being a consignor one day. The signed posters and many others were consigned by Surgit Sohal - https://www.sothebys.com/en/press/film-fanatics-star-studded-collection-comes-to-sothebys - this guy spent hours and hours waiting in pens at premieres for nearly 40 years so I hope the financial reward of the sale adequately compensated him for the family-time he lost. The autographs are all undoubtedly genuine - I have often seen him at film events and invariably he would offer a linen-backed poster to be signed - an expensive and risky action given the jostling and high chance of getting a rushed, scribbled and/or smudged signature. Nevertheless, even allowing for Sothebys alternative world of price realisation the results support my contention that genuine signatures of A-list celebrities do add value in the market, in spite of many on here disliking the practice. I get my one sheets or quads signed (at no cost) at ticketed events and screenings I attend - I don't have the patience to wait more than 30 minutes for a celebrity - I'm also more fussy about the chosen poster, the colour of the pen and the placement of the signature.

Mark

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10469 on: April 02, 2020, 04:38:24 PM »
I will never understand the point of buying a piece of paper with a signature on it. 

1. I don't trust ANY signature.  Mark said the autographs are genuine, and they very well might be, but who knows if the seller didn't add a few more of his own just to make the deal a little more lucrative.  I just don't trust people and money. 

2. WHY?  Why would anyone want a piece of paper signed by SOMEONE THEY HAVE NEVER MET.  I don't get it.  What's the point?  They were not there, there is zero memory attached to it and it mars the poster.  What they get is a piece of paper with a trace of ink that may or may not be authentic.

It baffles me.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline bigmike

• Collector
« Reply #10470 on: April 02, 2020, 05:43:08 PM »
I will never understand the point of buying a piece of paper with a signature on it. 

1. I don't trust ANY signature.  Mark said the autographs are genuine, and they very well might be, but who knows if the seller didn't add a few more of his own just to make the deal a little more lucrative.  I just don't trust people and money. 

2. WHY?  Why would anyone want a piece of paper signed by SOMEONE THEY HAVE NEVER MET.  I don't get it.  What's the point?  They were not there, there is zero memory attached to it and it mars the poster.  What they get is a piece of paper with a trace of ink that may or may not be authentic.

It baffles me.

T

I 100% agree with you on both points T! That’s how I feel as well... I will not bid on a poster with a signature at all regardless of how rare it is too.

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #10471 on: April 03, 2020, 07:24:59 AM »
My eyebrows were raised by the Stallone-signed Rocky one sheet that went for £17,500 ($21,450) plus buyers commission.

I missed that one, wow! Thanks for all that information, Mark. I was curious about the provenance and wondered if it was from a single collection.

Although I don't collect them, I also like a signature from a director/main star on the right poster in the right location with the right pen.

For example, I don't love the size/placement of Audrey Tatou's sig on Amelie (from the Sotheby's auction):

But Rich shared this Reservoir Dogs on Facebook recently which I thought was cool (both the sig and doodle):

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10472 on: April 03, 2020, 12:30:51 PM »

It baffles me.

T

Yup.  Me too... Don't get it.

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #10473 on: April 03, 2020, 12:57:38 PM »
I dabble in auto's, but mainly in the trading card arena since they are supposedly verified.  There has been some autopen and fakes there even unfortunately. But yeah, I dont want a signature on a poster unless its an extra and a keeper. Think I have all of 2 signed ones, and those were from screen writers that bought a poster from me so I sent them and extra to sign :)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10474 on: April 03, 2020, 01:37:44 PM »
I have a few signed posters/collectibles. I don't give a hoot about certification and other snake oil (certification is a mixed bag and over drinks let's share some major shenanigans in that smoke and mirrors crap).  Either I have gotten the signature myself,  trust the signature from my own knowledge, or trust the source.  Once again, buy what you like, trust, and don't feel you overspent.  Just Ole Okie's strategy.