Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2828089 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10400 on: September 17, 2019, 11:42:23 PM »
There was at least one "wild" underbidder in there somewhere, too!  Okie

With the snarky name-calling (which Holiday asked was not to be done -- and this was years ago), is it any wonder why this forum is dying and almost no one posts?

'Tis A real shame.  :'(

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10401 on: September 17, 2019, 11:49:20 PM »
With the snarky name-calling (which Holiday asked was not to be done -- and this was years ago), is it any wonder why this forum is dying and almost no one posts?

'Tis A real shame.  :'(

Oops, sorry, Jeff. I didn't know the boundaries on the WTF thread! I got a little carried away there, eh?  Taste is individual even considering WTF. I've WTFed a few times myself...  Okie
P.S. "Wild" was having fun a bit because these were "Wilding" posters! 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 11:52:05 PM by okiehawker »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10402 on: September 17, 2019, 11:51:33 PM »
Oops, sorry, Jeff. I didn't know the boundaries on the WTF thread! I got a little carried away there, eh?  Taste is individual even considering WTF. I've WTFed a few times myself...  Okie

It wasnt your post, Okie, that I was referring to...... So all good.

Carry On.  sad.gif

-Jeff

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #10403 on: September 18, 2019, 01:07:16 AM »
Just too busy to post these days kids and job and all.  Also i feel very "crazy old hermit" like, in that people see what i like and suddenly everyone is outbidding me on the stuff I want all the time...i'm still very active in the hobby though. I also still tell a lot of penis jokes.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10404 on: September 21, 2019, 04:31:19 PM »
Just too busy to post these days kids and job and all.

I know the feeling.  I try to go through Emovie and HA weekend offerings on Friday night, always hopeful that I will have a chance to bid on Sunday, and pretty much never find the time or simply forget because I'm busy with the kiddos.  Then I remember on Monday morning, check what my stuff went for and realize that it all went above what I was willing to pay for it.  In the end, no regrets.

T
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:55:54 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online Mardukas

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10405 on: October 25, 2019, 11:56:06 AM »
I know the new Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson movie The Lighthouse is garnering great buzz, and may well become a future cult classic judging by some of the reviews (I haven't seen it yet, hope to do so when it opens in the UK next year), but is the (admittedly lovely looking) teaser one-sheet really already a $250 poster?!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-LIGHTHOUSE-great-original-27x40-D-S-movie-poster-VERY-LOW-INVENTORY-th55/333361150101?hash=item4d9ddf7895:g:B~kAAOSws41do~c9

(And before you all jump in, I see Dale is selling one for what, to my mind at least, is a more realistic price!)

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10406 on: November 12, 2019, 02:35:18 PM »
Wow!
I had forgotten about the Emovie Halloween auction and was just looking over some of the results.
Definitely marking it on my calendar for next year - Amazing!
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #10407 on: November 12, 2019, 05:39:48 PM »
Wow!
I had forgotten about the Emovie Halloween auction and was just looking over some of the results.
Definitely marking it on my calendar for next year - Amazing!

Totally can't tell if you're being sarcastic... but whatever you're doing, I like it!

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #10408 on: November 13, 2019, 03:58:11 AM »
Totally can't tell if you're being sarcastic... but whatever you're doing, I like it!

sounds to me like he's saying stuff went for low prices and he expects that trend to continue, so he wants to look when it comes around again.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10409 on: November 13, 2019, 03:46:14 PM »

ouch

Offline ddilts399

• Hoarder
    • .5% of my collection online
« Reply #10410 on: November 13, 2019, 07:55:19 PM »
What is even more impressive on that Neon Demon, is it is readily available for 25.00.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10411 on: November 14, 2019, 01:30:34 PM »
What is even more impressive on that Neon Demon, is it is readily available for 25.00.

this is like when HA sells Pulp Fiction for $1680, but you can buy a copy from my website for $429 (and even get a discount)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10412 on: November 15, 2019, 05:49:52 AM »
And like Sotherby's recent selling of a backed and framed Dr No quad for ~£80k while multiple sites have them for c£10k.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10413 on: November 23, 2019, 10:19:47 PM »
Wow!!!  Everything that I wanted to bid on went way beyond what I was willing to pay.  I got two little things, but the big ones were at least $2-3k above what I thought they should sell for.  I guess the hobby is doing well.  I’m so glad I got everything I got when I got it, because it would cost me so much more money today.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10414 on: November 24, 2019, 12:21:19 AM »
Wow!!!  Everything that I wanted to bid on went way beyond what I was willing to pay.  I got two little things, but the big ones were at least $2-3k above what I thought they should sell for.  I guess the hobby is doing well.  I’m so glad I got everything I got when I got it, because it would cost me so much more money today.

T

Several bargains to me were had today as well, T ( e.g. Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror 3 sht, Werewolf of London 1 sht). Some very high prices, too (e.g. Dracula jumbo lc, Invisible Man lc). Something for everyone, eh? Okie

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10415 on: November 24, 2019, 06:00:29 AM »
Funny how, without even mentioning the event, everyone knows what is being commented on...

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10416 on: November 24, 2019, 12:17:44 PM »
Several bargains to me were had today as well, T ( e.g. Sherlock Holmes and the Voice of Terror 3 sht, Werewolf of London 1 sht). Some very high prices, too (e.g. Dracula jumbo lc, Invisible Man lc). Something for everyone, eh? Okie

I really wanted The Day the Earth Stood Still.  FOLDED!!!  I was hoping for a $15-16k final price (wishful thinking, I know), but it ended at $21k.

Congrats on your wins.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline skyjackers

• Hoarder
« Reply #10417 on: November 24, 2019, 02:24:26 PM »
You guys are in a different league. I just missed 2 prints because they sold out before I could make up my mind if I could afford the $175!

Offline Antoine1973

• Collector
« Reply #10418 on: November 24, 2019, 04:13:48 PM »
I really wanted The Day the Earth Stood Still.  FOLDED!!!  I was hoping for a $15-16k final price (wishful thinking, I know), but it ended at $21k.

Congrats on your wins.

T

A few years ago I bought a folded copy in a higher grade than the one sold at HA for a lot less, so I gotta admit being pleased when I saw this particular result.  Linenbacked copies are a dime a dozen these days, but a folded example in good condition is getting rather rare.

Online crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10419 on: November 24, 2019, 04:50:01 PM »

Really? You think the Werewolf of London was a bargain?  That poster has been available a few times in the past 5-6 years - the last time Heritage auctioned it, it couldn't even reach $18K and had been offered multiple times in the $25-30K range with no interest.

Conversely, I wanted to agree the Invisible Man was high (I actually had a copy of this card about 6 years ago and sold it for around $20K), but do you have any other Invisible Man comps to compare it to? The one I sold had slight restoration, and we've seen what the very best Universal lobbies have been bringing at auction lately, compared to those some might say it under performed. I don't think anyone would argue it's far more rare than the Frankenstein montage or either of the Dracula close-up cards.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10420 on: November 24, 2019, 08:30:39 PM »
Really? You think the Werewolf of London was a bargain?  That poster has been available a few times in the past 5-6 years - the last time Heritage auctioned it, it couldn't even reach $18K and had been offered multiple times in the $25-30K range with no interest.

Conversely, I wanted to agree the Invisible Man was high (I actually had a copy of this card about 6 years ago and sold it for around $20K), but do you have any other Invisible Man comps to compare it to? The one I sold had slight restoration, and we've seen what the very best Universal lobbies have been bringing at auction lately, compared to those some might say it under performed. I don't think anyone would argue it's far more rare than the Frankenstein montage or either of the Dracula close-up cards.

Just my opinion, Crow.  I really like the color saturation on that Werewolf of London.  Yeah, I can see your point with the data you shared on it's recent attempted sale history.  Man, it's pretty.  If the wolf was on it...

57k is very healthy for any photo based lc, to me.

Okie

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10421 on: November 25, 2019, 12:50:13 AM »

57k is very healthy for any photo based lc, to me.

Okie

once again, some uber-rich buyers come to the market. The question is "how long will they be around?"

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10422 on: November 25, 2019, 01:04:25 AM »
One thing that I like to do (I'm sure a lot of people do this) is to add up all the posters I already own and see how much they sell for.  Then compare it to what I originally paid for said posters over the past 18 years (ever since I started collecting).  I owned 76 posters out of this weekend's crop, and when I add up the results, I made more than x5 what I paid for those posters (if I was selling of course).  That to me is a healthy market.  It makes me feel rich, if only for a few seconds ;)

T
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 11:23:39 AM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #10423 on: November 25, 2019, 09:14:41 PM »
Except HA is going to take 2 of those Xs if you sell  ;)

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10424 on: November 25, 2019, 10:50:26 PM »
Except HA is going to take 2 of those Xs if you sell  ;)

SO TRUE!!!

Sorry, can't say much more, I'm busy... potroll.gif

T
My Personal Collection