Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2792718 times)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10350 on: April 11, 2019, 02:24:55 PM »
Not that there's anything wrong with that, I was just scratching my head as to why. The bidder was one of several who seems to have unlimited funds and always gets what he wants at any price, even when it's way above ebay prices. But all's fair at auction - that's just not me.

I have bought a lot of doubles and triples over the years (most recently my 3rd Star Wars Style C :)) but I only do it for 3 reasons... 1) replacing a damaged poster (which thankfully doesn't happen much anymore), 2) because I forget I already own the poster (that happens quite often) and 3) and probably most importantly, because the price is right (like the SW Style C).  Unless it is for a specific collection and I must have it at all cost, I always try to buy low. 

What I don't understand are those 3 or 4 "gentlemen" on Emovie who just routinely buy sub-par posters for twice or 3 times the amount of what you can get them in mint condition anywhere else.  Just so they don't lose.

T
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 02:26:43 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10351 on: April 11, 2019, 03:02:38 PM »
I'm not that experienced myself, but if I look ahead and see EMP has something I really want, I usually check ebay and a few other sources to get a sense of what it sells for. And I'm sure there are sources I don't know about yet. Maybe these gentlemen don't know about any of the other sources, or maybe they just don't care about what they spend and logging in to EMP is just an easy habit compared to shopping around, or maybe it's just the thrill of the kill. I'm always baffled when I see the S2 stone lithos go for more than a brand new one costs.

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #10352 on: April 11, 2019, 03:12:37 PM »
I know very many people who collect every copy of a certain poster or comic book they can find. I know of at least one person who collects Spider-Man #50 & Fantastic Four #48 and reportedly has a box of each (minimum 50 copies each, possibly as many as 300 if it's  a long box & none are CGC graded)
these are also, fairly expensive books

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10353 on: April 11, 2019, 03:13:56 PM »
I'm not that experienced myself, but if I look ahead and see EMP has something I really want, I usually check ebay and a few other sources to get a sense of what it sells for. And I'm sure there are sources I don't know about yet. Maybe these gentlemen don't know about any of the other sources, or maybe they just don't care about what they spend and logging in to EMP is just an easy habit compared to shopping around, or maybe it's just the thrill of the kill. I'm always baffled when I see the S2 stone lithos go for more than a brand new one costs.

Or maybe, just maybe, they have more money than brains.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline Dr Bill

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10354 on: April 11, 2019, 03:33:10 PM »
Heh - my thoughts in your words...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10355 on: April 11, 2019, 04:43:50 PM »
Or maybe, just maybe, they have more money than brains.

T

it's nothing to make a judgement about

here's a comment that will surprise you: we are collectors, and we collect.

I don't know all that many collections that are the same other than people who specifically collect only Star Wars, or only 1950s-60s horror-sf, or only film noir etc.

every collection is different, except those collections where people collect "series" (for instance, baseball card & most comic book collectors, stamp collectors etc)

I don't believe there is another poster collector that collects Raymond Chandler like I do (I never met anyone in 40 years doing it) or collecting gambling film memorabilia like I do (though I do know one who only collects poker games images)

collecting the  same poster or comic etc again & again is just another variation of the game.

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10356 on: April 11, 2019, 04:56:32 PM »
Not really what we’re talking about here, Richie Rich.  We’re talking about a few specimens at Emovie who refuse to let go (emphasis on Refuse) and systematically overspend on lesser condition material when the same material can be obtained at half price anywhere else.  That’s not about collecting, it’s about a lack of brain cells and/or too much money to spend.

How is that for a judgement?

T
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 04:58:29 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10357 on: April 11, 2019, 05:17:38 PM »
pretty sure each auction house has special bidders like this, but it's more fun to talk about Emovie as you can see the bidder ID, so you "know" who you are up against. 
Anyone remember the famous "bidder #2" at Heritage a few years back? You would see bidding progressing along on something, $10K, $11K, $12K, and then out of the blue someone would say $20 or $25K, and people would be scratching their heads.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10358 on: April 11, 2019, 05:25:13 PM »
I know.  I wasn’t singling out Emovie per say.  But I don’t know the other bidders.  I actually wish Bruce would do the same at Emovie.  I think it would make bidding much easier, to not know who you’re bidding against.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10359 on: April 11, 2019, 05:41:36 PM »
Not really what we’re talking about here, Richie Rich.  We’re talking about a few specimens at Emovie who refuse to let go (emphasis on Refuse) and systematically overspend on lesser condition material when the same material can be obtained at half price anywhere else.  That’s not about collecting, it’s about a lack of brain cells and/or too much money to spend.

How is that for a judgement?

T

you're complaining that people keep buying the same thing, for whatever reason. When that guy was buying every Jaws poster the conversation was the same.

but you also bring up another point that needs some discussion. Who cares what anyone thinks should be a standard price on anything? The standard varies from one outlet to another and movie posters is not like comic books where there is an actual price guide that is used as some measure of bible by the entirety of the hobby. (not that stuff doesn't go for 10-20-50-100-500 times the apparent guide value)

the very concept that any specific entity in posters represents the pricing structure of this hobby is a false argument, because there is no standardization, period and if we attempted to make such a standard, there is one entity that wouldn't have any interest in being involved - unless it was their standard.

Hey did you know that there are way more people at some sites than others, and that the demographic strata at some is better than others?
Did you know that many collectors don't buy at some sites? Even I have had people tell me they only bid on ebay or had been bidding on my site, which I always thought surprising and these people clearly know all of the auction sites.

How about, not everyone agrees with the things some people say on this board. For gosh sakes, Chop thinks he should be able to buy a rolled Jaws for $300. Does anyone here agree with that?

By the way, as collectors, you should also be happy that no such standard exists, otherwise the concept of getting 'a good deal' would evaporate, every year the 'supposed' values would increase in the book and most of you (T not included) wouldn't be able to buy anything after some period of time as the accrual on an actuarial scale graphs out.

There is Rodeo Drive and there is Main Street and there is also Wal Mart. Thankfully, all markets are not measured against Rodeo Drive and definitely thankfully not measured against Wal Mart and their 'falling prices' philosophy.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 07:11:24 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10360 on: April 12, 2019, 08:04:24 PM »
I have bought a lot of doubles and triples over the years...……….. because I forget I already own the poster (that happens quite often)....

With your inventory system, how on earth is that even possible?  From the man who says he can lay his hands on any poster in three minutes, but in the next breath says he forgets what he already owns...

Not a serious poke, but I am wondering...

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10361 on: April 12, 2019, 08:47:12 PM »
I only check auctions the day of, be it Emovie or Heritage, which allows me to not overthink things.  In my case, overthinking leads to overspending.  But it also means I don’t always have time to check my website.

T
My Personal Collection

Online jpicken

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10362 on: April 13, 2019, 10:25:09 AM »
I know.  I wasn’t singling out Emovie per say.  But I don’t know the other bidders.  I actually wish Bruce would do the same at Emovie.  I think it would make bidding much easier, to not know who you’re bidding against.

T

Actually, I like seeing the bidder IDs. Sometimes, seeing who the high bidder is leading up to the close, helps me to focus how much I really want that copy for auction.

you're complaining that people keep buying the same thing, for whatever reason. When that guy was buying every Jaws poster the conversation was the same.

How about, not everyone agrees with the things some people say on this board. For gosh sakes, Chop thinks he should be able to buy a rolled Jaws for $300. Does anyone here agree with that?

Since I still don't have a copy, I sure wish I could find a nice one for $300.  ;D
If I already had a copy or two, keep that price up there haha.
I even looked into that Kastel Mondo art print version, but that often sells for more than the one-sheet. I'll figure out something eventually.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10363 on: April 13, 2019, 03:38:43 PM »
you'll have to stand in line behind Choppie  ;D

-------

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10364 on: April 14, 2019, 05:52:45 PM »
you'll have to stand in line behind Choppie  ;D

Hahaha... Choppie boy :). What happened to that awesome fellow?  Probably owns 5 Jaws by now.

Wasn’t aware that the print was worth much more than what I paid for it when it dropped.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic

-------

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10368 on: May 14, 2019, 04:54:22 PM »
Early Results from Bonhams, the Hunchback 1-sheet finds a new home at $212,575 but the Phantom 3-sheet is bid up to $130,000 and passes.
Not really surprised at either result.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10369 on: May 14, 2019, 08:59:57 PM »
Early Results from Bonhams, the Hunchback 1-sheet finds a new home at $212,575 but the Phantom 3-sheet is bid up to $130,000 and passes.
Not really surprised at either result.

Thanks for the update, Sean!  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10370 on: July 05, 2019, 02:41:35 AM »
I'm sure a lot of people got great deals at Bruce's auctions today.  I can't imagine a lot of people in the US paying attention.  I know I didn't.  There were a few things I wanted but I couldn't get away from all the 4th of July fun.  I feel bad for the sellers, though.

T
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10371 on: July 05, 2019, 10:11:27 PM »
I'm sure a lot of people got great deals at Bruce's auctions today.  I can't imagine a lot of people in the US paying attention.  I know I didn't.  There were a few things I wanted but I couldn't get away from all the 4th of July fun.  I feel bad for the sellers, though.

T

OK, this may hurt. But.

While this statement will have been made in the best of intentions, it might not have been made while considering the breadth of the buying audience.

The Internet is worldwide, there are 8 million worldwide holidays to take into account, we do not know what market share from the world Bruce sells and earns, and, lastly, the US is not or might not be the world's lion share of the market.

Does one stop a US sale to the world, based on a US holiday, or just crack on...?

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10372 on: July 05, 2019, 10:39:13 PM »

T

The one piece I bid on went for double what I thought it would do. Okie 

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10373 on: July 05, 2019, 11:29:16 PM »
OK, this may hurt. But.

While this statement will have been made in the best of intentions, it might not have been made while considering the breadth of the buying audience.

The Internet is worldwide, there are 8 million worldwide holidays to take into account, we do not know what market share from the world Bruce sells and earns, and, lastly, the US is not or might not be the world's lion share of the market.

Does one stop a US sale to the world, based on a US holiday, or just crack on...?

I didn't know there was a world outside the US.  We have a President who certainly doesn't think so.  Do you guys really exist?

T
My Personal Collection

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10374 on: July 05, 2019, 11:55:38 PM »
I didn't know there was a world outside the US.  We have a President who certainly doesn't think so.  Do you guys really exist?

T

Horton Hears a Who?  Will it be settled this weekend? Who really exists?!  The Netherlands (Pop. 17 million) vs. the USA (Pop. 327 million) this Sunday!  T and Simes, let's meet at Wim's house in Amsterdam, watch the game, and simultaneously WTF outbid the White House on some large stills.  Go, USA women!  Okie