Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2795195 times)

Offline iojabba

• Hobbyist
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10226 on: January 21, 2019, 11:02:23 PM »
money laundering?
- Eric

Offline oldposterho

• Collector
    • Peter's Movie Posters
« Reply #10227 on: January 22, 2019, 09:37:03 AM »
Maybe a n0oB who looked at sales histories but not at cigarette packages?
For sale and trade posters: *Here*

Offline marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #10228 on: January 22, 2019, 10:19:45 AM »
Maybe a n0oB who looked at sales histories but not at cigarette packages?

That's my theory too.

Mark

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10229 on: January 22, 2019, 10:23:20 AM »
Deary me.

Yup, absolutely the cigarette packets...

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #10230 on: January 23, 2019, 03:02:15 PM »
top 8 items from HA Sunday night. Can anyone compete with these prices?

or how about these prices?

I
Didn't
Think
So

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #10231 on: January 23, 2019, 07:52:23 PM »
I get it, but it should be noted those prices include buyer's premiums...just sayin'

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10232 on: January 23, 2019, 09:24:38 PM »
I get it, but it should be noted those prices include buyer's premiums...just sayin'

does that mean it wasn't paid?
are buyer's premiums a hidden tax? Or are they clearly noted in any catalogs, including online?
when I bid, do I say, "I'm only willing to pay $1000.. BID $1000!" or do I say "I'm only willing to pay $1000.. BID $830, they add $166= $996!"?

this is cash paid, green. plus shipping!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10233 on: January 24, 2019, 10:44:47 AM »
does that mean it wasn't paid?

C'mon man - he's just saying that when you compare apples with apples, and subtract the buyer's premium these two posters basically sold for the same price.

The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #10234 on: January 24, 2019, 09:31:26 PM »
C'mon man - he's just saying that when you compare apples with apples, and subtract the buyer's premium these two posters basically sold for the same price.

I don't doubt for a second that HA gets better results generally, but the only value that really matters is the dollar amount going to the consignor.  If we are cherry picking examples to prove our points then check out the WOTW window card which sold for $1020 at HA.  Take away the BP @ 20% and that poster is really an $800 poster.  The last time EMP sold the same poster way back in 2015 it sold for $655 so that's a difference of about $150.  Four years later.  Big whoop. 

And on the other side at HA you have those fools who pick up for example a pulp fiction for $1680.  That number PULVERIZES all EMP results for that poster... probably until the end of time.  On that end of the spectrum are the super rich, throw your money around, Inuit carving collectors who happen to be on Ha.com at the time and bored on a sunday night not giving a shit really what a pulp fiction OS costs but loving those nice pictures and description and those nice fellas at HA are always so nice to me and honey where is Lucia there's no more ice left in my drink... (etc.)

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10235 on: January 24, 2019, 10:06:04 PM »
Oh, no!!!  Is it the return of auction results closed fist dueling?!  Please, please, not again!   

Okie

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10236 on: January 25, 2019, 12:37:35 AM »
...... the only value that really matters is the dollar amount going to the consignor.  If we are cherry picking examples to prove our points then check out the WOTW window card which sold for $1020 at HA.  Take away the BP @ 20% and that poster is really an $800 poster.  The last time EMP sold the same poster way back in 2015 it sold for $655 so that's a difference of about $150.

Vick, if we take the WOTW wc, the hammer price is $850 + 170 bp
on the 850, consignor fee is 25%= $637.50 to the consignor
the 650 at EMP, minus consignor fee of 22%= $507
looks to me as HA is a winner there

but is that the closest price achieved comparison on the chart of just those 2 graphics I posted?

the $1680 for the PF is an incredible result, so let's forget it then.
Last month they sold another copy for $900
....... can anyone touch that price?

have you ever seen anyone achieve $1800 for a Marilyn wc?
$456 for Jane Russell in Firefox?
$1320 for that Le Mans poster?

also, whether the bidder is throwing money around bored on a sunday night not giving a shit really what a pulp fiction OS costs isn't significant
what is significant is that they are throwing the money around.

listen, as an actual seller all my life, with a mailing list, an auction site and loads of sales every year, I have absolutely no problem b=giving props to Heritage here, NO-BODY can touch this. They sell 450 +/- posters (or related items) every Sunday (minus 3 weeks when they have Signature auctions) and they do between $40k and $90k a week!

The average price per listing is $100+

they are the peak of the business AS PRICES ACHIEVED
it is undeniable

-------

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #10237 on: January 25, 2019, 10:39:12 AM »
Rich is probably spot on, but we all need to be aware that nothing is certain.  I have successfully bid on several items at HA Sig auctions for less money than the top emovieposter results.  Granted, my collection is off the mainstream, concentrating on old musicals.  However, the HA Signature auctions provide a wealth of top material, and sometimes some real gems get lost among the trendy stuff and sell for well below what they would sell for in an auction that had less competition.
-Jay-

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10238 on: January 25, 2019, 06:17:48 PM »

but is that the closest price achieved comparison on the chart of just those 2 graphics I posted?

the $1680 for the PF is an incredible result, so let's forget it then.
Last month they sold another copy for $900
....... can anyone touch that price?

have you ever seen anyone achieve $1800 for a Marilyn wc?
$456 for Jane Russell in Firefox?
$1320 for that Le Mans poster?

also, whether the bidder is throwing money around bored on a sunday night not giving a shit really what a pulp fiction OS costs isn't significant
what is significant is that they are throwing the money around.

listen, as an actual seller all my life, with a mailing list, an auction site and loads of sales every year, I have absolutely no problem b=giving props to Heritage here, NO-BODY can touch this. They sell 450 +/- posters (or related items) every Sunday (minus 3 weeks when they have Signature auctions) and they do between $40k and $90k a week!

The average price per listing is $100+

they are the peak of the business AS PRICES ACHIEVED
it is undeniable

Clear and simple explanation, Rich. You and others have often had to "re-explain" this scenario and the BP that HA or any auction house adds, which is the final selling price.

A good read, for sure.  thumbsup.gif

-Jeff

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10239 on: January 25, 2019, 07:15:03 PM »

I don't sell, so it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but I have a real issue knowing that a poster sells for $1,020 (what someone is willing to pay for said poster) and I ONLY get $637.  A whopping 38% of the sale goes to Heritage vs 20% to Emovie.  38%!!!!!!   I don't like it.  I understand that some items sell for more at HA, but I would still go with Bruce if I ever sold.

It's all about ethics to me.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10240 on: January 25, 2019, 08:13:11 PM »
I don't sell, so it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but I have a real issue knowing that a poster sells for $1,020 (what someone is willing to pay for said poster) and I ONLY get $637.  A whopping 38% of the sale goes to Heritage vs 20% to Emovie.  38%!!!!!!   I don't like it.  I understand that some items sell for more at HA, but I would still go with Bruce if I ever sold.

It's all about ethics to me.

not sure what ethics you're talking about
you get what you pay for with Heritage - more money in your pocket.
If you or I or EMP or anyone else was able to get the $1020, (we) would.
happily

-------

Online Crazy Vick

• Hoarder
« Reply #10241 on: January 25, 2019, 08:16:22 PM »

Rich I conceded that HA got the better of the results on the WOTW even before taking into account the consignor fees, though the difference between 637 and 507 back to the consignor over a 4 year span is nothing to write home about. 

Again, I agree with you HA gets the best auction results hands down.  What i'm saying is if you are promoting to the public how great HA results are, you must be targeting potential consignors.  Obviously you wouldn't be promoting their results to potential BUYERS, because that wouldn't make sense (Hey folks this is how much MORE you're going to pay for your posters at HA compared with any other auction house!)

So, that being the case (that you are promoting potential consignors to HA) then I think when advertising their "results" in the interests of full disclosure, you should mention that the price quote includes the BP.  That's all I am saying.  Folks who consign at HA don't get a dime out of the BP, so that should be clear for promotional purposes.

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10242 on: January 25, 2019, 08:47:56 PM »
not sure what ethics you're talking about
you get what you pay for with Heritage - more money in your pocket.
If you or I or EMP or anyone else was able to get the $1020, (we) would.
happily

I don’t see how this is more money in my pocket.  My item sells for $1,020 at HA, I get $637.  My item sells for $1,020, i get $816.  Easy math.

Anyhow, we all know what this is all about.  Same old story.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10243 on: January 25, 2019, 10:38:16 PM »
Rich I conceded that HA got the better of the results on the WOTW even before taking into account the consignor fees, though the difference between 637 and 507 back to the consignor over a 4 year span is nothing to write home about. 

Again, I agree with you HA gets the best auction results hands down.  What i'm saying is if you are promoting to the public how great HA results are, you must be targeting potential consignors.  Obviously you wouldn't be promoting their results to potential BUYERS, because that wouldn't make sense (Hey folks this is how much MORE you're going to pay for your posters at HA compared with any other auction house!)

So, that being the case (that you are promoting potential consignors to HA) then I think when advertising their "results" in the interests of full disclosure, you should mention that the price quote includes the BP.  That's all I am saying.  Folks who consign at HA don't get a dime out of the BP, so that should be clear for promotional purposes.

nobody is promoting anything.
this is "Post-auction analysis"
these prices are post-auction results

factually, I don't care if anyone here gives Heritage consignments or makes bids. That's not my job to create, that's for Heritage to deal with.

There is an awful lot of "holy schmoley, look at these prices" in this thread. All I'm doing is "holy schmoley, look at these prices"

I don’t see how this is more money in my pocket.  My item sells for $1,020 at HA, I get $637.  My item sells for $1,020, i get $816.  Easy math.

Anyhow, we all know what this is all about.  Same old story.

well then, the job is to find someone who sells your WOTW wc for $1020.

has anyone else done it?

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10244 on: January 25, 2019, 11:06:45 PM »
well then, the job is to find someone who sells your WOTW wc for $1020.

has anyone else done it?

I see that Bruce sold one for $655 in 2015.  After his 22%, the seller got $510.  It was paperbacked, good to very good condition, which means that collectors like me would have never touched it.  Heritage sells one for $1,025.  After their 38%, the seller gets $637 for a Very Fine + condition, mint, something everyone would buy.  So we're talking about a $127 difference between a paperbacked, G to VG 4 years ago and a rolled VF+ today.  $127?  Wow, you're so right, Rich.  Good one!!!

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10245 on: January 25, 2019, 11:32:12 PM »
I see that Bruce sold one for $655 in 2015.  After his 22%, the seller got $510.  It was paperbacked, good to very good condition, which means that collectors like me would have never touched it.  Heritage sells one for $1,025.  After their 38%, the seller gets $637 for a Very Fine + condition, mint, something everyone would buy.  So we're talking about a $127 difference between a paperbacked, G to VG 4 years ago and a rolled VF+ today.  $127?  Wow, you're so right, Rich.  Good one!!!

T

I still don't see where any other company or auction sold one for such a price.
when you do, please post it here

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10246 on: January 25, 2019, 11:43:01 PM »
I still don't see where any other company or auction sold one for such a price.
when you do, please post it here

You remind me of Roger Stone.  You're in quick sands, sinking, but still talking in a vain and desperate attempt to get the last word out.

T
My Personal Collection

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10247 on: January 26, 2019, 12:16:22 AM »
You remind me of Roger Stone.  You're in quick sands, sinking, but still talking in a vain and desperate attempt to get the last word out.

T

oh that's hilarious. I have no idea what you think I'm sinking in or what you think is going on.

all I'm doing is discussing stuff in post-auction and debating comments people are making in response to my post

There's 410 pages of people doing the same before this one

-------

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10248 on: January 26, 2019, 01:24:44 AM »
I don't sell, so it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other, but I have a real issue knowing that a poster sells for $1,020 (what someone is willing to pay for said poster) and I ONLY get $637.  A whopping 38% of the sale goes to Heritage vs 20% to Emovie.  38%!!!!!!   

Of course on the Foxfire poster I pointed out, Emovie would take a whopping 50% (50%!!!!!!), leaving you with $12.50, while 38% off the $456 Heritage price leaves you with $282. Using the 1989 Batman example that was posted by someone else you would still have $327 after the Heritage cut from the $528 sale, but even if you take the highest price Emovie ever got for one ($136) and subtract their 28% you have $97.

But here's the secret no one tells you - no one auction house gets the highest prices every single time for every item. There are bargains here and there in every auction. 

Past performance of course is no predictor of future results as they like to say, but if I was considering consigning something there are a couple of things I would look at:
1) Does the auction house actually spend money to advertise? I would want as wide as possible an audience as I could to know about my items for sale. I see Heritage advertisements everywhere I go on the web, and in print. If you could show me even a single ad Emovie has run outside of their website in the last year I would be impressed.
2) What is the average selling prices of all items with an auction house? This is what speaks volumes, as when you go to sell most likely it won't be a single item and most likely you would like to sell where people are used to seeing similar items. Emovie has advertised for years that 60% of all their items sell for $10 or less (and that they take 75% on those items and lose money), where someone else pointed out that Heritage averages over $100 per item on their weekly items and well over $1000 an item in their signature auctions.

If you have the type of items that are going to sell for $10 or less (or close to it), or don't mind people wading through thousands of such items, than Emovie is definitely the place for you. 
If you are thinking of selling a key Casablanca piece, or another true spotlight item, than my opinion is Heritage will get you the better result and more money in your pocket time after time.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10249 on: January 26, 2019, 01:29:39 AM »
Here comes the other one!!!  I was waiting for that.  Like clockwork.

Good job guys.  A little predictable, but always a fun read.

T
My Personal Collection