Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2824468 times)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #10150 on: November 19, 2018, 12:05:58 PM »
I put a bid in on the Roberta 6=sh and was tempted to click again in the live, but decided I'd never display it.

Saved my money for the Shall We Dance and Swing Time title cards.
-Jay-

guest4955

« Reply #10151 on: November 20, 2018, 08:52:15 AM »
Mel, you seem to have missed off the Alien Marler Hayley set at $7800. I'm not complaining about the price realised as I have 4 of the 6 but it seems poor value to me for what are (albeit a complete set of) distinctly unattractive posters.

Mark

Yep. for some reason HA  is "dodgy" for a spell but this is the correct link:

https://movieposters.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Ns=Price%7C1&Ne=35&N=54+790+231+4294947727&ic4=Refine-Auctions-102615

Offline CineMasterpieces

• Collector
    • CineMasterpieces Movie Posters
« Reply #10152 on: November 20, 2018, 07:16:23 PM »
Mel. Did you get my messages?

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10153 on: November 21, 2018, 11:46:29 AM »
Mel. Did you get my messages?

Hopefully they were telling him how much more he could have made if he had flipped those posters through you.
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10154 on: November 21, 2018, 11:51:21 AM »
And as a general update, once again Todd F. uses an auction house to try and get free publicity to not sell horror material as both the Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein 24-sheet and Dracula cape fail to sell at Bonhams.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10155 on: November 21, 2018, 12:14:45 PM »
And as a general update, once again Todd F. uses an auction house to try and get free publicity to not sell horror material as both the Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein 24-sheet and Dracula cape fail to sell at Bonhams.

Has the Dracula cape ever been listed on ebay before, Sean?

-Jeff

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #10156 on: November 21, 2018, 12:33:31 PM »
Has the Dracula cape ever been listed on ebay before, Sean?

No, I believe this may have been the first time he has offered it publicly.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #10157 on: November 21, 2018, 02:22:49 PM »
A Dracula cape was offered by Profiles in History 3 years ago.

I believe it was from Lugosi's son. It did not sell

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10158 on: November 21, 2018, 02:28:51 PM »
I put a bid in on the Roberta 6=sh and was tempted to click again in the live, but decided I'd never display it.

Saved my money for the Shall We Dance and Swing Time title cards.

Would love to see them, Jay.  Do you have pix?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #10159 on: November 21, 2018, 05:11:03 PM »
Would love to see them, Jay.  Do you have pix?

T

Only the HA pics.  Won't likely get them for a couple of weeks

-Jay-

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #10160 on: November 21, 2018, 05:33:18 PM »
Very nice, Jay.  Do they complete a set?

2 weeks?  That’s quick for me.  I usually get my stuff every 6/8 months.  The last shipment had two sig auctions in it.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline redman

• Collector
« Reply #10161 on: November 21, 2018, 06:01:28 PM »
those F&G lobbies are brilliant
i have just noticed that for a rerun of Tophat they used cutouts from a Shall We Dance poster (24sheet?) at this cinema

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10162 on: November 21, 2018, 11:09:05 PM »
Erik, the Dracula cape Has been in storage for years but it was shown publicly once. About 8 years ago the Lafayette Theatre in Suffern New York ran it's annual HorrorThon which that year included A&C Meet Frankie. Since Todd lives close to the theatre and frequently attended their Saturday morning classic films series, he brought it to the screening along with a coat rack. The management was impressed with it and set it up on one corner of the stage, close to where Todd would be sitting, of course. It was distracting to watch the movie and have this half opened cape standing in one corner through the whole thing. After the film several patrons oohed and ahhed it after getting a closer look at it, which pleased Todd to absolutely no end. He was just lapping the adoration up with a spoon. He forbade anyone to get within breathing distance of it, though. After the adoring crowds thinned out he carefully folded it up, grabbed the coat rack and ran out the side door of the theatre to his car, threw the rack and cape inside and raced off to the locked safety of his storage unit.

He pulled the same thing when the Lafayette played DRACULA one year. He just couldn't resist the temptation to bring out his original 1-sheet (cobweb version) and get it on display, locked securely in one of the display cases of course. He had to be constantly reassured that the poster case was indeed locked and nobody could get at it, even with the manager and several ushers within steps of it. He just wouldn't sit still during the film, jumping up and running into the lobby to check that his treasure was still safe every 10 minutes. Before and after the film he stood guard by the display case lest some greedy and unscrupulous collector would break the glass and snatch it from it's perch. But that didn't stop him from glowing with all the attention. When he finally had management open the case he grabbed the poster and once again ran as fast as he could towards his car, piled in, and zoomed away with the tires spitting gravel and dirt. It was quite amusing to watch.

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #10163 on: November 21, 2018, 11:38:56 PM »
Very nice, Jay.  Do they complete a set?

2 weeks?  That’s quick for me.  I usually get my stuff every 6/8 months.  The last shipment had two sig auctions in it.

T

The Swing Time completes my goal of at least one original release card from each F&G film.  The Shall We Dance, gives me 5 of 8 cards from that film.

Kinda wanted the other 2 title cards, but common sense and budget prevailed.  Each went for over $900.
-Jay-

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #10164 on: November 22, 2018, 06:56:46 AM »
Erik, the Dracula cape Has been in storage for years .....................
But that didn't stop him from glowing with all the attention. When he finally had management open the case he grabbed the poster and once again ran as fast as he could towards his car, piled in, and zoomed away with the tires spitting gravel and dirt. It was quite amusing to watch.

A just hilarious write up Bob...

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10165 on: November 22, 2018, 11:03:48 AM »
Simon, it's all absolutely true. I was there and saw it all. I can kind of understand his concern for the DRACULA 1-sheet since it wasn't under his constant observation. But it seems to me that if he was that concerned about it being stolen, why bring it to the theatre at all? Why try to sit and watch the film, only to jump up and run up the aisle every 10 minutes to check on it's safety? Why not just leave it safely in storage? It all comes down to a ego stroke for him. He needs constant recognition, validation and approval. Add to that his "I've got it, you don't and never will" mindset equals one very irritating egoist should just lock himself in his storage locker and revel in all the expensive paper he will never sell. 

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10166 on: November 22, 2018, 11:24:33 AM »
A quick aside to the DRACULA 1-sheet story. I spoke to the manager after Todd was gone with the poster, in a cloud of dust, and told me he didn't want him to bring the poster in the first place. If something did happen to it, he would have been on the hook for damages. He also didn't want the responsibility of keeping an eye on it while Todd was inside watching the movie. Which he only saw half of since he was jumping up and running around the lobby most of the time. The manager said he wished Todd would just take the poster and go home already.

Oh, and the cherry on top was 95% of the patrons walked right by the poster and couldn't have cared less about it. Only the hardened collectors noticed and were quite effusive about it. Which Mr. Egoist lapped up like a Coke through a straw on a summer day.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10167 on: November 22, 2018, 11:58:48 AM »
Bob, aside from relaying these tales, it sounds like you also dont like him very much?

Your posts are peppered with mild barbs/criticisms directed at TF or his behaviour and Im curious as to the reason for that.

Did you also have some bad transaction or encounter with him in the past?

-Jeff

Offline cabmangray

• Hobbyist
« Reply #10168 on: November 22, 2018, 12:25:04 PM »
Not especially. And it's not jealously either. In all fairness he has great posters and I'm glad that that they are being preserved. But having observed him up close he has a very high "holier than thou" attitude that grates on the nerves. I've seen him brush off non collectors who were just curious about what he was displaying because they weren't worth his time to speak to them. But if you knew about the rarity of his holdings, he would talk to you for half an hour. But always, always with an air of superiority, like he had the gold and you didn't and he wanted you to know it. His is a fan club of one and you aren't worthy enough to join.

I've never had dealings with him and don't plan to either.

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10169 on: November 22, 2018, 12:46:34 PM »
Thanks.. Ive spoken to him on the phone several times as well as emailed with questions about his collection, how he got certain posters etc and he's always been cordial, polite and willing to give information to me, so that's also why I was asking.

-Jeff

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #10170 on: November 23, 2018, 08:24:53 PM »
Erik, the Dracula cape Has been in storage for years but it was shown publicly once. About 8 years ago the Lafayette Theatre in Suffern New York ran it's annual HorrorThon which that year included A&C Meet Frankie. Since Todd lives close to the theatre and frequently attended their Saturday morning classic films series, he brought it to the screening along with a coat rack. The management was impressed with it and set it up on one corner of the stage, close to where Todd would be sitting, of course. It was distracting to watch the movie and have this half opened cape standing in one corner through the whole thing. After the film several patrons oohed and ahhed it after getting a closer look at it, which pleased Todd to absolutely no end. He was just lapping the adoration up with a spoon. He forbade anyone to get within breathing distance of it, though. After the adoring crowds thinned out he carefully folded it up, grabbed the coat rack and ran out the side door of the theatre to his car, threw the rack and cape inside and raced off to the locked safety of his storage unit.

He pulled the same thing when the Lafayette played DRACULA one year. He just couldn't resist the temptation to bring out his original 1-sheet (cobweb version) and get it on display, locked securely in one of the display cases of course. He had to be constantly reassured that the poster case was indeed locked and nobody could get at it, even with the manager and several ushers within steps of it. He just wouldn't sit still during the film, jumping up and running into the lobby to check that his treasure was still safe every 10 minutes. Before and after the film he stood guard by the display case lest some greedy and unscrupulous collector would break the glass and snatch it from it's perch. But that didn't stop him from glowing with all the attention. When he finally had management open the case he grabbed the poster and once again ran as fast as he could towards his car, piled in, and zoomed away with the tires spitting gravel and dirt. It was quite amusing to watch.

Most folks who have high-end stuff don't let it leave their safe spaces.  The art that sells for millions - tens and hundreds of millions dollars, often are kept in unknown (to most), private collections, and only appear to the public if/when they're for sale publicly.  Even a lot of folks with the stuff we talk about here don't want to join this place, and many who do join won't even reveal their real name here, as they want to remain as anonymous as possible  I think it's respectable of TF to bring some of the most hig-end stuff to events, and talk with folks about it.  Regarding him running to his car after the event, anyone who has any sense would do the same thing.  Similarly, armored truck drivers don't lollygag around when they're carrying/transporting suitcases of cash, for obvious reasons.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 08:28:41 PM by Neo »

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10171 on: November 23, 2018, 10:47:12 PM »
Most fellow collectors I've had the opportunity to become friends with over the years have some quirks and whirs that could be written about here.  I know I have a "q" or two and at least a "w" times three.  Some will say "speak for yourself", though I think Dracula's cape would have odd effects on all of us, eh?  The manifestation of that effect may vary greatly from ill manners to glee and many points along the scale!

Okie
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 10:53:57 PM by okiehawker »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #10172 on: November 23, 2018, 11:30:38 PM »
Most fellow collectors I've had the opportunity to become friends with over the years have some quirks and whirs that could be written about here.  I know I have a "q" or two and at least a "w" times three.  Some will say "speak for yourself", though I think Dracula's cape would have odd effects on all of us, eh?  The manifestation of that effect may vary greatly from ill manners to glee and many points along the scale!

Okie

no kidding buddy.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2018, 01:03:43 AM by MoviePosterBid.com »

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #10173 on: November 23, 2018, 11:56:12 PM »
no kidding, buddy.

Exactly, Richie!  Using my name my mommy calls me on this side of the forum is one of those quirks and whirs!
Touche, you fellow weirdo!

Okie
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 12:14:37 AM by erik1925 »

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #10174 on: November 24, 2018, 01:09:52 PM »
Most folks who have high-end stuff don't let it leave their safe spaces.  The art that sells for millions - tens and hundreds of millions dollars, often are kept in unknown (to most), private collections, and only appear to the public if/when they're for sale publicly.  Even a lot of folks with the stuff we talk about here don't want to join this place, and many who do join won't even reveal their real name here, as they want to remain as anonymous as possible  I think it's respectable of TF to bring some of the most hig-end stuff to events, and talk with folks about it.  Regarding him running to his car after the event, anyone who has any sense would do the same thing.  Similarly, armored truck drivers don't lollygag around when they're carrying/transporting suitcases of cash, for obvious reasons.

Im with you here, Brandon.

Anyone willing to bring items like this to some random theater, set up on a rack (vs a setting like an exhibit or in a gallery, for example) would be on high alert. I know I would be. Someone could approach, and even in an attempt to take the cape, damage or tear it. So I can see why TF behaved like he did. And that includes not meandering around the lobby with this cape draped over his arm.

Quirks or not, it's a valuable and rather iconic piece of film history, and TF knows this, even if many in the audience werent that impressed.

Kudos to TF for bringing it at all, for those that truly knew what it was were probably rather in awe or very much impressed.

-Jeff