Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2831065 times)

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9925 on: July 02, 2018, 05:43:02 PM »
This Style B half sheet for Casablanca sold thru HA and was also listed on ebay, with its live auction, on Sunday, April 15th, in HA's Entertainment & Music Memorabilia Signature Auction, just one week after their Movie Poster Signature Auction. 

It sold for a high, winning bid of $45,000.00 ($56,250.00 with the added BP)  clap clap clap

Here are both the eBay and HA links:

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/entertainment-and-music/a-style-b-half-sheet-movie-poster-from-casablanca-/a/7176-89093.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

https://www.ebay.com/itm/A-039-STYLE-B-039-HALF-SHEET-MOVIE-POSTER-FROM-034-CASABLANCA-034-WARNER-BROS-Lot-89093-/282910445278?hash=item41dec6cede%3Ag%3AdnAAAOSwtGdaz8Bu&nma=true&si=vaCX2z%252BDHoCuxGPr%252F8Wd6O2n99A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #9926 on: July 09, 2018, 04:17:27 PM »
Just gets mo' popular. Kinda like "Christmas Wrapping" song, it is one of the very few modern-era Christmas entertainment offerings with staying power:

Ha, nobody cares but I disdain "slasher" flicks but some love 'em (my personal assist wore a "I roll with Jesus t-shirt" but worships horror/slasher films!):

Online Monster_A_GoGo

• Hoarder
« Reply #9927 on: July 09, 2018, 04:36:38 PM »
Zowie! Glad I got my ANOES back in the day for a fraction of that price...
Let me introduce myself: http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9291.0.html View my collection thread (if you DARE!!!):  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,9480.0.html  See it on my blog (withOUT Photobucket watermarks) here:  https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=5730339618306790065#allposts/src=sidebar CHEERS!

Offline jayn_j

• Hoarder
« Reply #9928 on: July 09, 2018, 11:26:00 PM »
Totally agree on ANOES.  It may be the only slasher poster I ever bought.  Got it back when it was a $30 item.
-Jay-

guest4955

« Reply #9929 on: July 15, 2018, 10:31:50 PM »

??? Why such monetary adulation?

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9930 on: July 19, 2018, 05:13:39 PM »
A linen backed, UK quad for The Fly (1958), sold on July 9th, on eBay, for a Best Offer of $2900.00

It was originally listed for $3250.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Fly-RARE-1958-Original-British-Quad-Movie-Poster-Vincent-Price-/253728891138?hash=item3b136ba102%3Ag%3AZ6IAAOSw1zpbPCV8&nma=true&si=vaCX2z%252BDHoCuxGPr%252F8Wd6O2n99A%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And this original, unbacked 3 sheet for Goldfinger (1964), also sold recently, at the end of June on eBay, for $2900.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/-/172882627771?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l10137

-Jeff

guest4955

« Reply #9931 on: July 23, 2018, 10:36:47 PM »

I have three dopey thoughts about last night's auction:

(1) I bought/read bazillions of sci-fi books and this MP's artwork is very average.

(2) It's a lie! (Read taglines)

(3) Um forgot 3rd so you're spared!  :-*

guest4955

« Reply #9932 on: July 23, 2018, 10:43:09 PM »
For comparison, music poster fans luv UGLY:

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9933 on: July 24, 2018, 10:50:23 PM »

I don't know, Sundance.  That's a beautiful classic of rock posters, and based on Edmund Sullivan's Rubaiyat illustrations.   Okie
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:00:21 PM by erik1925 »

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
« Reply #9934 on: July 25, 2018, 04:57:53 PM »

another unbelievable result.. I fail to see any reason people would not send their good posters to Heritage. I can't wait to see what they do for me this weekend (no. I won't tell you what I'm selling... well, afterwards, maybe)

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9935 on: July 25, 2018, 04:59:48 PM »

oh please.. this is a great poster. I used to have a huge stack of Fillmore & Family Dog posters (I had over 2000 of them at one time) and this poster always sold very well. I didn't have any signed though...

once again, Heritage kills it!

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Online Tob

• Administrator
  • Hoarder
« Reply #9936 on: July 27, 2018, 06:31:56 AM »
It's all relative, but considering the title, art, uniqueness (assuming not many exist), size and provenance, I thought the buyer wpuld have been happy with the hammer price. I wonder what it might have gone for at an auction house with more US visibility?

A couple of days early to be appearing in the post-auction thread, but answering my own question from when we discussed the Back to the Future concept sale back in 2016 (which sold at Ewbanks for £700 hammer price)...looks like it's going to do well at Heritage:

https://movieposters.ha.com/itm/science-fiction/back-to-the-future-universal-1985-proposed-british-one-sheet-proof-27-x-40-/a/7181-86340.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #9937 on: July 27, 2018, 09:49:12 AM »
I was happy to pay £700 for that Back to the Future poster at the time and even more so now given the Heritage one is currently at $4400. My copy is in much better condition.

Mark

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9938 on: July 27, 2018, 11:24:19 AM »
Does Thierry NEED this BTTF?  ;D
Chris

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9939 on: July 27, 2018, 01:11:59 PM »
Does Thierry NEED this BTTF?  ;D

No I DON'T.  Funny, I had this discussion with Mel yesterday.  To me, this is completely ludicrous.  We've already talked about it, but I find it ridiculous that people would spend money on REJECTED ART.  I mean, where does it end?  I already don't understand buying proof posters, but this takes the cake.  This art was rejected for a reason: It is not good.  The studio decided it didn't sell the movie and opted for something different.  When I was at DreamWorks, we trashed so many Gladiator mockups.  Dozens.  Who cares?  Agencies propose a bunch of different ideas and the best one gets chosen.  And now the rejected one sells for $5k, just because it's rare?  Hahaha... So stupid!!!

Sorry Mark, but I really don't get it.

T
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 01:13:35 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9940 on: July 27, 2018, 01:15:30 PM »
Just checked the HA Sig auction yesterday btw and now I'm excited.  Some good stuff there.  I'm ready!!!

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Online marklawd

• Hoarder
« Reply #9941 on: July 27, 2018, 01:33:03 PM »
I find it ridiculous that people would spend money on REJECTED ART.

I think it's a bit of a sweeping statement to suggest all rejected artwork is inferior to selected artwork. Don't you have Saul Bass's rejected art for Schindler's List?

Mark

Offline eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9942 on: July 27, 2018, 02:11:27 PM »
Yes, but I bought it for $100, and even that seemed like a lot back then.

And it was Saul Bass, one of the most referenced movie poster artists of all times.

T
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 02:12:57 PM by eatbrie »
My Personal Collection

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9943 on: July 27, 2018, 05:41:00 PM »
I think it's a bit of a sweeping statement to suggest all rejected artwork is inferior to selected artwork. Don't you have Saul Bass's rejected art for Schindler's List?

Mark

Yup, good point.

An advertising campaign is not decided upon based solely on art.  God only knows the recent Bonds have suffered there.  Bob Peak's concepts for Licence to Kill I would buy in a heart beat if affordable.

About which, I would love to know how artworks Were chosen for a campaign, especially when faced with a vastly superior alternative that did not make The Grade...

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9944 on: July 27, 2018, 06:40:10 PM »
Yup, good point.

An advertising campaign is not decided upon based solely on art.  God only knows the recent Bonds have suffered there.  Bob Peak's concepts for Licence to Kill I would buy in a heart beat if affordable.

About which, I would love to know how artworks Were chosen for a campaign, especially when faced with a vastly superior alternative that did not make The Grade...

the #1 is when a star has final say. I have a big stack of such material for many titles and it becomes clear with some posters the star is saying "this poster doesn't focus enough on ME"

other times, the contractual agreements wind up with stuff like the Avengers poster that has something like 30 heads, as every star needs to be shown and the size & placement of their image may have to match another contractual issue.

then, you have the money man whose only consideration is "how big is my name on the poster" and "where are the explosions? I want explosions"
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 07:34:33 PM by MoviePosterBid.com »

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9945 on: July 27, 2018, 07:07:43 PM »
...man who's only consideration is.. "

Whose.

'who's' is short for 'who is'.

So aside from the certifiable fact I am a pain in the ass, thanks Rick!  Yup, modern profession and marketing has cocked up art on posters.

All of which is to say, concept art on This forum board, I think, should hold higher regard than the official output.  Which might make T think again...?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9946 on: July 27, 2018, 07:37:44 PM »
Whose.

'who's' is short for 'who is'.

So aside from the certifiable fact I am a pain in the ass, thanks Rick!  Yup, modern profession and marketing has cocked up art on posters.

All of which is to say, concept art on This forum board, I think, should hold higher regard than the official output.  Which might make T think again...?

damn that English!
;-)

I have concepts that are less interesting and more interesting, including actual art that isn't used. It's a process.
the people making teh decisions, aren't always art fans and the audience targeted may also be artistically challenged..

-------

Offline Simes

• Hoarder
« Reply #9947 on: July 28, 2018, 04:53:22 AM »
damn that English!
;-)

I have concepts that are less interesting and more interesting, including actual art that isn't used. It's a process.
the people making teh decisions, aren't always art fans and the audience targeted may also be artistically challenged..

Fair play.  And on the collecting of actual art.  I only know of one other who does that, and he is the sometime forum contributor Thomas Nixdorf.

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9948 on: July 28, 2018, 01:18:49 PM »
Fair play.  And on the collecting of actual art.  I only know of one other who does that, and he is the sometime forum contributor Thomas Nixdorf.

Terry Doyle is also here

-------

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9949 on: July 28, 2018, 02:42:05 PM »
Many of HA's CASABLANCA pieces are closing way above their estimates!  woohoo
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 02:54:08 PM by erik1925 »

-Jeff