Author Topic: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....  (Read 2829543 times)

Offline MoviePosterBid.com

• Post-aholic
    • MoviePosterBid.com only movie memorabilia
Re: Post-auction analysis - OMGs!, LOLs!, WTFs!, whatev....
« Reply #9600 on: February 16, 2018, 04:29:09 PM »
It would be interesting to see what the realized prices with the ultra expensive stuff at eMovie would be, if they had reserve prices, etc.  ;)

Brandon, how does a reserve matter, when almost nothing HA sells in the Signature auctions goes for minimum bid, regardless of opening price?

moreover, HA Sunday auctions all start at $20 ($1 + $19) and they still beat the pants off their competition.

it's a fake line from a competitor that insinuates only reserves achieve these high prices, but it takes 2 to Tango and there is lots of Tangoing going on at HA

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder
"LIKE" MoviePosterBid.com on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Movieposterbidcom

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9601 on: February 16, 2018, 09:06:05 PM »
it's a fake line from a competitor that insinuates only reserves achieve these high prices, but it takes 2 to Tango and there is lots of Tangoing going on at HA

Lots of tangoing here on APF as well!  They are all competitors for our business and thank goodness for that.  It's so nice to me to have choices like emovieposter, Heritage, MoviePosterBid, eBay, etc. I wish I had this kind of variety of service and selection in a few other things I like!

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9602 on: February 16, 2018, 09:10:05 PM »
Lots of tangoing here on APF as well!  They are all competitors for our business and thank goodness for that.  It's so nice to me to have choices like emovieposter, Heritage, MoviePosterBid, eBay, etc. I wish I had this kind of variety of service and selection in a few other things I like!

competition is great. the more choices people have, the more interesting it is

Movieposterbid.com is the FIRST All-Movie Poster Auction Site. We're not #1, but we try harder

-------

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9603 on: February 16, 2018, 09:21:27 PM »
Can we have more old style flea markets, too?!  Man, they are too few and far between these days, eh?

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9604 on: February 16, 2018, 11:56:02 PM »
Can we have more old style flea markets, too?!  Man, they are too few and far between these days, eh?

oh man don't I wish.. and old style comic book conventions also, circa 1970s

-------

Offline Neo

• Hoarder
    • My photobucket
« Reply #9605 on: February 17, 2018, 12:51:07 AM »
Well we saw a couple of those results in the past year, with both a Scarlet Empress one-sheet and an unbacked Casablanca one-sheet.
The Casablanca was eagerly scooped up for a bargain price by a dealer and I wouldn't be surprised if we found out the Empress was also.

The last heavy-hitter I can remember with a reserve at HA was when Todd went fishing with his Bride of Frankenstein teaser, and was unable to hook a buyer at his high ask.

Time-payment plans would probably help Bruce with some lower-high end stuff (is that a word?) in the $5-20,000 range, but I don't believe the few people who are willing/able to spend $100K on a poster make use of such plans.

I replied here:  http://www.allposterforum.com/index.php/topic,8856.msg230072.html#msg230072

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
The Online Reference to Japanese Sci-Fi Posters:
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline erik1925

• Post-aholic

-Jeff

Offline okiehawker

• Hoarder
« Reply #9608 on: February 25, 2018, 12:02:41 AM »
On it's second go-around, and with the opening bid dropped by 500.00 to $1499.99, the 3sheet for The Mummy's Curse sold for $1805.00 last night.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-MUMMY-039-S-CURSE-Universal-Three-Sheet-Poster-LON-CHANEY-MARTIN-KOSLECK-/112819009454?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=vaCX2z%252BDHoCuxGPr%252F8Wd6O2n99A%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I was figuring restoration and linen backing for this poster would cost at least $500. What do you all think it might cost? 

Offline CSM

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9609 on: February 25, 2018, 12:09:04 AM »
It is definitely the worst of the Mummy series (other than Cruise's most recent crapfest) but too bad there are no restoration discounts for that fact...
Chris

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9610 on: February 25, 2018, 12:20:49 AM »
I was figuring restoration and linen backing for this poster would cost at least $500. What do you all think it might cost?

$400, might go as high as $500.
www.Kaijuposters.com

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9611 on: March 06, 2018, 09:07:17 PM »
Did I dream that Bruce auctioned a Pulp Fiction advance a week ago?  Sold for $1,300 (which I thought was quite low).  I can't find it on his website.  Or maybe it wasn't Bruce.

Anyone?

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline jtoh014

• Beginner
« Reply #9612 on: March 06, 2018, 11:10:37 PM »
Did I dream that Bruce auctioned a Pulp Fiction advance a week ago?  Sold for $1,300 (which I thought was quite low).  I can't find it on his website.  Or maybe it wasn't Bruce.

Anyone?

T

You're not dreaming. A version of that poster was sold for $1,300, though it was low because it's not a one sheet, but a smaller sized "special poster" that was guaranteed to be genuine. But now that you've mentioned, yes, strange that it's missing from the results.
J

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9613 on: March 07, 2018, 03:09:11 AM »
You're not dreaming. A version of that poster was sold for $1,300, though it was low because it's not a one sheet, but a smaller sized "special poster" that was guaranteed to be genuine. But now that you've mentioned, yes, strange that it's missing from the results.

I have never heard of such a poster at 19.5x28.5 inches and would like to know how they have information that guarantees it as authentic

as to missing from the database - that generally means it has been unpaid to date, or withdrawn or both. I suggest that maybe it wasn't what they believed it was. If it isn't in the database in a couple more weeks, you'll know for sure.

you can find it on google

-------

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9614 on: March 07, 2018, 06:53:53 AM »
I have one of those undersized B2 Pulp Fiction Lucky Strikes; it came as part of a set with a theatrical B2 Pulp Fiction ( Tim Roth with a gun).

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9615 on: March 07, 2018, 06:57:37 AM »
The size had me thinking Japanese for sure...

Do you mean you get your copy as part of a lot? Or tha it was sold commercially as a set? Thanks.

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9616 on: March 07, 2018, 07:04:37 AM »
It was part of a lot.  If I remember correctly (this was around September/October last year), the seller had auctioned a few sets of "Tim Roth" style posters (ie. 2 or 3 copies of the same Tim Roth in one set) and then listed this lot as the last of his bunch.  1 Tim Roth and 1 Lucky Strike. 

Offline Harry Caul

• Curator
    • Marquee Poster
« Reply #9617 on: March 07, 2018, 08:50:23 AM »
It was part of a lot.  If I remember correctly (this was around September/October last year), the seller had auctioned a few sets of "Tim Roth" style posters (ie. 2 or 3 copies of the same Tim Roth in one set) and then listed this lot as the last of his bunch.  1 Tim Roth and 1 Lucky Strike.

What’s your feeling... commercial?  Do you have a photo of the Tim Roth poster? Thanks!

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9618 on: March 07, 2018, 10:01:51 AM »
I have never heard of such a poster at 19.5x28.5 inches and would like to know how they have information that guarantees it as authentic

as to missing from the database - that generally means it has been unpaid to date, or withdrawn or both. I suggest that maybe it wasn't what they believed it was. If it isn't in the database in a couple more weeks, you'll know for sure.

All of Emovieposter's auctions immediately go into the auction history database as soon as the auction closes (look up any item that closed last night and you will see what I mean).

And while I didn't see the auction, if the dimensions were 19.5x28.5, that is not a Japanese B2 size
www.Kaijuposters.com

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9619 on: March 07, 2018, 10:39:47 AM »
Sorry!  Just took some pix (will post soon), it's not Tim Roth.... it's John Travolta holding the gun. My bad.

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9620 on: March 07, 2018, 11:23:06 AM »
Lucky Strikes and Pulp Fiction

PF LS B2 by Tanuki21, on Flickr
PF JT by Tanuki21, on Flickr

Offline Hicks77

• Hobbyist
« Reply #9621 on: March 07, 2018, 11:29:12 AM »
Well... what can I say... the weight/feel of the paper seems legitimate.  Both posters feel and roll like the gazillion of other B2 theatrical posters I have.  Both have that "smell"... you know what I mean.  And both have nicks, creases, dents showing that they've been stored and rolled like any other old theatrical poster.  They do not seem to be minty white repros sitting in a plastic sleeve waiting to be plucked off the rack.

Why the Lucky Strikes is 2 cm shorter width-wise, I have no idea.  I've reached out to a few dealers in Japan to see if they have any information.  If they shed anymore light on the situation, I'll let you know. 

Online eatbrie

• Administrator
  • Post-aholic
    • My Posters
« Reply #9622 on: March 07, 2018, 11:53:13 AM »

I did not realize it was not the US version.  Now it sold for too much.  I wonder if the buyer realized it afterwards and pulled out of the sale.  Still, it should be showing up on Bruce's archive.

T
My Personal Collection

- I wish to thank all APF members for being part of the World's Largest Social Gathering of Movie Poster Collectors
- "Wishing you the best of luck with All Poster Forum and in encouraging others to appreciate the magical art of film posters" - Martin Scorsese (2009)

Offline crowzilla

• Hoarder
    • Kaiju Poster Database
« Reply #9623 on: March 07, 2018, 02:08:08 PM »
  I wonder if the buyer realized it afterwards and pulled out of the sale.  Still, it should be showing up on Bruce's archive.

In your scenario it makes perfect sense why it doesn't show up - Emovie only archives actual sales, so if the seller backs out or it is later cancelled it would be removed.
www.Kaijuposters.com

• Post-aholic
« Reply #9624 on: March 07, 2018, 05:02:32 PM »
I did not realize it was not the US version.  Now it sold for too much.  I wonder if the buyer realized it afterwards and pulled out of the sale.  Still, it should be showing up on Bruce's archive.

since when is a seller given the opportunity to rescind the sale?

is this seriously a practice that any auction would engage in?

If so, wouldn't such a practice be universally condemned by the collecting community?

-------